Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,448 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,825
Seatribe | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 2013)  | Pub:Paradox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Salem Forum » General Discussion » This game is pretty damn cool.... imo.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
36 posts found
  Arkangel32

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/28/11
Posts: 66

11/13/12 9:01:42 AM#21
Originally posted by Ichmen
Originally posted by Arkangel32
Originally posted by Ichmen

you can get woodblocks (what you chop/harvest from woodpiles that spawn on the world, chopping an old log or cutting down a tree requires the skill Lore of The Lumberwoods and an axe to do it. its typically quicker to just hunt along beaches or in forests for wood piles to chop for blocks.  if you want boards you have to plop a cut tree log or an old wood log in a sawbuck "i think old logs work havent done it my self" and chop boards off it.)

as for perma death.. if the game is like HnH you get a set % back to your revived "child" toon you make. so if you have all prof points at 20, you would basicly get around 10 or so prof each i think. "dont plan to die to test.. taking forever to unlock blacksmithing as it is.." sad thing is you can die to a player or animal. in hnh i died to pigs and a bear along time ago. im sure its similar in salem. so you have to keep and eye everything around you. 

which does detract from the fun i guess.  but like hnh salem will draw the crowd that enjoys its options most i guess.

 

if people are on roanoka and are confused just drop me a message. might beable to help somewhat. or very least give you one of the billion of smooth stones i wind up finding in my travels.. 

IF - Permadeath really equals losing only a % of your skills, then it is not permadeath. It would be a death penalty, which I would admire and think create value in your character and I would welcome that.

However,

Permadeath erasing your character entirely in a game that focuses on hardcore deep crafting makes no sense.

 

I hope there is a death penatly, then I will gladly donate money.

um no, its perma death in that you lose the toon and typically all items you own on you and property (as most death happens by pk "raiders" then being killed by animals. what happens is you die and roll a new toon and that toon if you choose to do so (using HnH systems here as i havent died in salem) can respawn with a % of the dead toons stat points as well as any land claims it had (though pretty much if killed by raiders. you wont have much of a home to return to.. and most relocate when killed by raiders. as they dont feel safe anymore at that spot)

right now, if you get KOed (a bile hits 0.0) you lose some prof points and have to relearn them. and any items in your inventory get dumped (which sucks if you fight rabbits or crickets/snakes around water and passout on it.. bye bye inventory stuff..)

death pretty much kills the toon but gives you a little bit back so you arent back at square 1 again. (but you may as well be some times)

So the ending result is:

1. You die

2. Create a new toon

3. You have a % of skill points left  (so a death penalty)

4. Drop all items on the toon

5. Most likely have to find a new home etc etc.

 

Is that accurate?  

  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/06
Posts: 1236

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

11/13/12 9:02:55 AM#22
Originally posted by Arkangel32
Originally posted by Ichmen
Originally posted by Arkangel32
Originally posted by Ichmen

you can get woodblocks (what you chop/harvest from woodpiles that spawn on the world, chopping an old log or cutting down a tree requires the skill Lore of The Lumberwoods and an axe to do it. its typically quicker to just hunt along beaches or in forests for wood piles to chop for blocks.  if you want boards you have to plop a cut tree log or an old wood log in a sawbuck "i think old logs work havent done it my self" and chop boards off it.)

as for perma death.. if the game is like HnH you get a set % back to your revived "child" toon you make. so if you have all prof points at 20, you would basicly get around 10 or so prof each i think. "dont plan to die to test.. taking forever to unlock blacksmithing as it is.." sad thing is you can die to a player or animal. in hnh i died to pigs and a bear along time ago. im sure its similar in salem. so you have to keep and eye everything around you. 

which does detract from the fun i guess.  but like hnh salem will draw the crowd that enjoys its options most i guess.

 

if people are on roanoka and are confused just drop me a message. might beable to help somewhat. or very least give you one of the billion of smooth stones i wind up finding in my travels.. 

IF - Permadeath really equals losing only a % of your skills, then it is not permadeath. It would be a death penalty, which I would admire and think create value in your character and I would welcome that.

However,

Permadeath erasing your character entirely in a game that focuses on hardcore deep crafting makes no sense.

 

I hope there is a death penatly, then I will gladly donate money.

um no, its perma death in that you lose the toon and typically all items you own on you and property (as most death happens by pk "raiders" then being killed by animals. what happens is you die and roll a new toon and that toon if you choose to do so (using HnH systems here as i havent died in salem) can respawn with a % of the dead toons stat points as well as any land claims it had (though pretty much if killed by raiders. you wont have much of a home to return to.. and most relocate when killed by raiders. as they dont feel safe anymore at that spot)

right now, if you get KOed (a bile hits 0.0) you lose some prof points and have to relearn them. and any items in your inventory get dumped (which sucks if you fight rabbits or crickets/snakes around water and passout on it.. bye bye inventory stuff..)

death pretty much kills the toon but gives you a little bit back so you arent back at square 1 again. (but you may as well be some times)

So the ending result is:

1. You die

2. Create a new toon

3. You have a % of skill points left  (so a death penalty)

4. Drop all items on the toon

5. Most likely have to find a new home etc etc.

 

Is that accurate?  

in simple terms up. though i haven died in salem, but that is generally how it was in haven which salem is based on. the perma death is more on the fact the toon you have is wiped. you have to remake it and only get a fraction of the points back. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

  Greymantle4

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/27/07
Posts: 775

11/13/12 9:04:15 AM#23
I guess I'm not the norm here I thought it was the worst game I have ever played. The UI was bad, the movement was bad, the tutorial was really bad, and game play was a bore. I wanted to like this game I really did.
  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/06
Posts: 1236

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

11/13/12 9:06:31 AM#24
Originally posted by Zeppelin4
I guess I'm not the norm here I thought it was the worst game I have ever played. The UI was bad, the movement was bad, the tutorial was really bad, and game play was a bore. I wanted to like this game I really did.

if you played it with a modded client like ender/bd its UI is alittle bit more bareable. but i agree the ui is just crap. the default client made me want to rip my eyes out it was bad. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

  Arkangel32

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/28/11
Posts: 66

11/13/12 9:07:30 AM#25

If anyone knows how much you really lose please state it, otherwise, I am going to kill my toon and see how much I lose so I can determine if its worth me investing my time.

 

  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/06
Posts: 1236

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

11/13/12 9:22:12 AM#26

if its the same system as haven (forums havent really said how bad the loss is)  you will most likely get around 5-15% of your points back similar to the haven one. 

so if you are a noob toon (profs at starting 5 or under 20.. i wouldnt expect much above getting rank 6 or 7 back in that prof if it was higher.  as the LP no longer stacks like it did in haven you dont really get LP gain if you die i would imagine. 

but again i can only speculate as the wiki lacks the info on death. and the forums seem spotty on it, pretty much everyone tends to avoid dying lolol

 

i just wouldnt expect much return rebirthing with a starting brand new toon from a brand new dead one.  (older the toon, the higher the stats so the higher the return when you die. pretty much)

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

  Greymantle4

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/27/07
Posts: 775

11/13/12 9:28:25 AM#27
Originally posted by Ichmen

if its the same system as haven (forums havent really said how bad the loss is)  you will most likely get around 5-15% of your points back similar to the haven one. 

so if you are a noob toon (profs at starting 5 or under 20.. i wouldnt expect much above getting rank 6 or 7 back in that prof if it was higher.  as the LP no longer stacks like it did in haven you dont really get LP gain if you die i would imagine. 

but again i can only speculate as the wiki lacks the info on death. and the forums seem spotty on it, pretty much everyone tends to avoid dying lolol

 

i just wouldnt expect much return rebirthing with a starting brand new toon from a brand new dead one.  (older the toon, the higher the stats so the higher the return when you die. pretty much)

The game has stat loss on death? I thought that was a game mechanic that went out with UO. sigh Why can't we get a crafting focused game without hardcore pvp these days? Let alone a company doing it bigger then the size of a pea. :( I could live with item loss but stats loss is a no go. o/

  Betaguy

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/31/04
Posts: 2653

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

11/13/12 9:28:40 AM#28
I personally do not like it.  I have been in beta for about 6 months.

  Arkangel32

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/28/11
Posts: 66

11/13/12 9:34:30 AM#29
Originally posted by Zeppelin4
Originally posted by Ichmen

if its the same system as haven (forums havent really said how bad the loss is)  you will most likely get around 5-15% of your points back similar to the haven one. 

so if you are a noob toon (profs at starting 5 or under 20.. i wouldnt expect much above getting rank 6 or 7 back in that prof if it was higher.  as the LP no longer stacks like it did in haven you dont really get LP gain if you die i would imagine. 

but again i can only speculate as the wiki lacks the info on death. and the forums seem spotty on it, pretty much everyone tends to avoid dying lolol

 

i just wouldnt expect much return rebirthing with a starting brand new toon from a brand new dead one.  (older the toon, the higher the stats so the higher the return when you die. pretty much)

The game has stat loss on death? I thought that was a game mechanic that went out with UO. sigh Why can't we get a crafting focused game without hardcore pvp these days? Let alone a company doing it bigger then the size of a pea. :( I could live with item loss but stats loss is a no go. o/

I personally think they had to put a system in where dieing has a negative affect on your experience.  Otherwise you might as well have a character that dies and respawns at your home which really has no ramifications for being a careless player.

I love death penalties, to many mmos these days have no penalty thus creating no real value on my experience.

 

  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/06
Posts: 1236

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

11/13/12 9:44:59 AM#30
Originally posted by Arkangel32
Originally posted by Zeppelin4
Originally posted by Ichmen

if its the same system as haven (forums havent really said how bad the loss is)  you will most likely get around 5-15% of your points back similar to the haven one. 

so if you are a noob toon (profs at starting 5 or under 20.. i wouldnt expect much above getting rank 6 or 7 back in that prof if it was higher.  as the LP no longer stacks like it did in haven you dont really get LP gain if you die i would imagine. 

but again i can only speculate as the wiki lacks the info on death. and the forums seem spotty on it, pretty much everyone tends to avoid dying lolol

 

i just wouldnt expect much return rebirthing with a starting brand new toon from a brand new dead one.  (older the toon, the higher the stats so the higher the return when you die. pretty much)

The game has stat loss on death? I thought that was a game mechanic that went out with UO. sigh Why can't we get a crafting focused game without hardcore pvp these days? Let alone a company doing it bigger then the size of a pea. :( I could live with item loss but stats loss is a no go. o/

I personally think they had to put a system in where dieing has a negative affect on your experience.  Otherwise you might as well have a character that dies and respawns at your home which really has no ramifications for being a careless player.

I love death penalties, to many mmos these days have no penalty thus creating no real value on my experience.

 

most of it i believe is do to the fact you can do anything in hnh/salem. if you want to rob a person's house you need to unlock the skills to do so, but are fully able to. if you want to murder random people you run across you can. 

so the punishment is more to make it less benificial being a homocidal maniac and just killing willy nilly (as people will band together and hunt/kill you) if there was 0 loss. people wouldnt care if they lost a toon that was 1hr old or 2yrs old. they would just say Owell and respawn. with the loss amount it makes you more careful. you avoid players and animals that might kill you, and you dont just run around trying to attack or steal from people as you could get iced in the process costing you all the time spent leveling.

its not a super fair or balanced system but it worked ok for haven. which has been around awhile, some players play the white knight who go and hunt pks and thieves others play the later and cause trouble. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

  Greymantle4

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/27/07
Posts: 775

11/13/12 9:52:53 AM#31
Originally posted by Ichmen
Originally posted by Arkangel32
Originally posted by Zeppelin4
Originally posted by Ichmen

if its the same system as haven (forums havent really said how bad the loss is)  you will most likely get around 5-15% of your points back similar to the haven one. 

so if you are a noob toon (profs at starting 5 or under 20.. i wouldnt expect much above getting rank 6 or 7 back in that prof if it was higher.  as the LP no longer stacks like it did in haven you dont really get LP gain if you die i would imagine. 

but again i can only speculate as the wiki lacks the info on death. and the forums seem spotty on it, pretty much everyone tends to avoid dying lolol

 

i just wouldnt expect much return rebirthing with a starting brand new toon from a brand new dead one.  (older the toon, the higher the stats so the higher the return when you die. pretty much)

The game has stat loss on death? I thought that was a game mechanic that went out with UO. sigh Why can't we get a crafting focused game without hardcore pvp these days? Let alone a company doing it bigger then the size of a pea. :( I could live with item loss but stats loss is a no go. o/

I personally think they had to put a system in where dieing has a negative affect on your experience.  Otherwise you might as well have a character that dies and respawns at your home which really has no ramifications for being a careless player.

I love death penalties, to many mmos these days have no penalty thus creating no real value on my experience.

 

most of it i believe is do to the fact you can do anything in hnh/salem. if you want to rob a person's house you need to unlock the skills to do so, but are fully able to. if you want to murder random people you run across you can. 

so the punishment is more to make it less benificial being a homocidal maniac and just killing willy nilly (as people will band together and hunt/kill you) if there was 0 loss. people wouldnt care if they lost a toon that was 1hr old or 2yrs old. they would just say Owell and respawn. with the loss amount it makes you more careful. you avoid players and animals that might kill you, and you dont just run around trying to attack or steal from people as you could get iced in the process costing you all the time spent leveling.

its not a super fair or balanced system but it worked ok for haven. which has been around awhile, some players play the white knight who go and hunt pks and thieves others play the later and cause trouble. 

So from what you both are saying item loss is not enough penalty. What they should do is flag people who commit murder and they are the ones subjuct to stat loss. The rest is item loss to keep the sting on death for the good guys. 

  StarI

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/18/06
Posts: 832

11/13/12 10:02:21 AM#32

Lol people with no clue being the smartest and loudest, that's a new one... o wait.

 

You don't die from animals in Salem. An animal Knocks you out (you fall down and you can see starts above the  head od your toon) than you get teleported to your bind place. You loose 2 points in random stat and your inventory (you keep everything you have equiped).

 

It's actualy not that easy to die in Salem unless you look for trouble or play wreckles. Or to put it around, if you play safe you will have a really hard time to die.

Besides you can have alts and develop different skills on different toons so if you happen to die you lesssen the skill point loss even further.

 

Only those who decide to go the ways of the murderer , thief or scammer  have always Death knocking on their door.

  Gishgeron

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/05/07
Posts: 1297

11/13/12 10:02:25 AM#33

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it.  Its just too sloppy for my taste.  Poor graphics I can deal with, I loved minecraft.  But sluggish gameplay, slow controls, and garbage pathing ruin it out of the gate for me.  Then you get to deal with no initial direction to help you get along.  And the fact that the world is mostly open and pretty barren.  Not one person said a word in my time on there.  Frankly...with how slow everything already is....permadeath is too much for me anyway.  It would probably take me days of the most incredibly boring gameplay just to start enjoying the building aspect of the game, and then it would be taken away at my first death.  There is absolutely no way I could grind that twice.  Hell, I won't do it once.

 

Make sure you understand, this isn't a patience issue.  I've spent weeks on minecraft doing nothing but harvesting and regrowing wood to make a large structure on survival mode.  I'm down for the long haul.  But the key difference is that the journey there is smoother and more responsive on that game.  This is like playing UO....with controls that would embarass even that game.  I find that to be unacceptable since UO is forever old now.  A good portion of the very basic gameplay elements Salem has need some very serious reworking.  Better menus, for one.  I really didn't enjoy hunting around the ingame menus to try and come to terms with what I could do.  I still have no ideal how to attack something.  I have a bunch of sticks that serve no purpose to me, because after walking around for 30 minutes I still couldn't find the other ingredients I needed to make a mask....which is one of the only TWO things I could make from the word go.  Another issue, that.  Crafting early on is terrible.  Come on, I have never built anything in my life and I could probably make  a crappy table myself.  In the very least I could make a pointy stick or something. 

For me, this game is the worst thing I've ever seen.  I'm a crafter at heart, and it did NOTHING to draw me in.  I'm also an explorer, and found its landscape to be the most incredibly dull thing I've ever seen.  I didn't even wanna see more of it...I was done.  Being ugly is no excuse for this...there are plenty of old games with interesting worlds I'd still love to wander around in.  But its an ugly game ON TOP of all this.  Considering how much time they saved on being an ugly game...they could have at least spent a longer time refining the controls and early game experience.  It feels like they didn't even try to make a fluid, smooth playing game.  They just half assed threw some crafting and permadeath into a bleh world and said, "Okay job done...hardcore jokers will eat this up".

Not I

  StarI

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/18/06
Posts: 832

11/13/12 10:36:26 AM#34
Originally posted by Gishgeron

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it.  Its just too sloppy for my taste.  Poor graphics I can deal with, I loved minecraft.  But sluggish gameplay, slow controls, and garbage pathing ruin it out of the gate for me.  Then you get to deal with no initial direction to help you get along.  And the fact that the world is mostly open and pretty barren.  Not one person said a word in my time on there.  Frankly...with how slow everything already is....permadeath is too much for me anyway.  It would probably take me days of the most incredibly boring gameplay just to start enjoying the building aspect of the game, and then it would be taken away at my first death.  There is absolutely no way I could grind that twice.  Hell, I won't do it once.

 

Make sure you understand, this isn't a patience issue.  I've spent weeks on minecraft doing nothing but harvesting and regrowing wood to make a large structure on survival mode.  I'm down for the long haul.  But the key difference is that the journey there is smoother and more responsive on that game.  This is like playing UO....with controls that would embarass even that game.  I find that to be unacceptable since UO is forever old now.  A good portion of the very basic gameplay elements Salem has need some very serious reworking.  Better menus, for one.  I really didn't enjoy hunting around the ingame menus to try and come to terms with what I could do.  I still have no ideal how to attack something.  I have a bunch of sticks that serve no purpose to me, because after walking around for 30 minutes I still couldn't find the other ingredients I needed to make a mask....which is one of the only TWO things I could make from the word go.  Another issue, that.  Crafting early on is terrible.  Come on, I have never built anything in my life and I could probably make  a crappy table myself.  In the very least I could make a pointy stick or something. 

For me, this game is the worst thing I've ever seen.  I'm a crafter at heart, and it did NOTHING to draw me in.  I'm also an explorer, and found its landscape to be the most incredibly dull thing I've ever seen.  I didn't even wanna see more of it...I was done.  Being ugly is no excuse for this...there are plenty of old games with interesting worlds I'd still love to wander around in.  But its an ugly game ON TOP of all this.  Considering how much time they saved on being an ugly game...they could have at least spent a longer time refining the controls and early game experience.  It feels like they didn't even try to make a fluid, smooth playing game.  They just half assed threw some crafting and permadeath into a bleh world and said, "Okay job done...hardcore jokers will eat this up".

Not I

Don't you feel lucky that 99,9% of games catter to you when it come to permadeath?

  Ichmen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/15/06
Posts: 1236

hatred enriches.life is a prison, death a release.

11/13/12 11:55:05 AM#35
Originally posted by StarI

Lol people with no clue being the smartest and loudest, that's a new one... o wait.

 

You don't die from animals in Salem. An animal Knocks you out (you fall down and you can see starts above the  head od your toon) than you get teleported to your bind place. You loose 2 points in random stat and your inventory (you keep everything you have equiped).

 

It's actualy not that easy to die in Salem unless you look for trouble or play wreckles. Or to put it around, if you play safe you will have a really hard time to die.

Besides you can have alts and develop different skills on different toons so if you happen to die you lesssen the skill point loss even further.

 

Only those who decide to go the ways of the murderer , thief or scammer  have always Death knocking on their door.

lolol if the bears and any furture animals are coded like haven, you can and will die to them. so far the only animals i have fought are snakes/crickets and rabbits.  none perma kill thankfully just ko.  havent bothered with beaver or deer as stats are high enough for that. 

but i dont see how its impossible to be killed fighting a deer or bear in salem. unless they decided to lessen the animals that can kill you beyond ko.  seeing as its still beta and none of the darkness monsters are ingame from what i have read.  im going to assume they are doing a haven animal setup where the weaker "noob" animals can not kill you, only ko but come the mid to higher animals there is a increasing % that you can and will be killed at ko. i see no reason for a bear to stop attacking you just because you passed out at its feet lolol...

and alting is boring as hell. may as well do the old haven alt vaulting while you are at it.  for people who dont want to duel/tripple/quad box every skill tree in a pure sense perma death can be slightly painful.  haven had its random pks rofl most of which are now in salem, if you have played haven you might have seen some of them lolol. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
Evga GeForce 670 FTW
Evga P55 SLI

<

  xpiher

Novice Member

Joined: 8/22/08
Posts: 3304

11/13/12 5:25:07 PM#36


Originally posted by Arkangel32

Originally posted by xpiher I would like it better if it was easier to level in the early game. HnH was a lot easier to level solo and then establish a village. I feel like I need to be in a village day 1 to do anything useful :/ Permadeath is an awesome feature IMO. I hope, and I haven't read other wise, that you can reincarnate with some of your stats. If you have to start completely over, that sucks 
  Permadeath is awesome.... could I please keep some of my stats... well done!
In HnH perma death, while you got to keep a fraction of you stats (it was usually around 10-25%) it sucked for a hole host of other reasons. First, you lost your firends list. This mattered a lot since you don't know who anyone is in the game unless they tell you, you memorize them, and they didn't lie. Second, you had to grind back up to expand land claims and what not. However, if you were well established, even if you lost all your skills you would be able to quickly recover from simply studying materials you bulked up on for such an ocurrance

In Salem, I know when you die you still keep your land claims. What this means is that you'll simply have to send a few days studying objects you bulked up on to regain your footing on death and hope gluttony mode favors you.


Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

2 Pages « 1 2 Search