Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EVE Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,416 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,773
ngd Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/03/11)  | Pub:GameSamba
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Realms Online Forum » General Discussion » Thoughts on this game?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
22 posts found
  nate1980

Spotlight Poster

5/11/11 1:05:53 AM#21

My first MMORPG was DAoC. Realms Online has some of its charm. I only play casually, so I can only give my opinion as someone who plays only several hours a week, but over this past week I've leveled up to level six, which can be done in a matter of hours if you're new to the game, and probably a lot less if you're not new and already understand the UI and the rest of the mechanics.

The games graphics and soundtrack gives this game the old school MMO charm, much like DAoC did. The games animations is more fluid than DAoC's and the game is solo quest centic so far, but the quests actually aren't that bad. I burnt out on RIFTS quests much sooner than the time I've played Realms Online if that means anything.

Overall, I think this game is worth looking into. Give the game an hour or two before quitting though, because it takes about an hour before you gain your orientation and understanding of the UI and mechanics.

ringdany

Apprentice Member

9/26/11 3:38:33 PM#22
Originally posted by Gandrell

Just wondering if anyone has played this game yet and had any thoughts or comments on the game play,pvp,quests and such? Downloading it now and giving it a try with the key give away so meh, I'll give it a shot.

im new to mmorpg.com forums but ive played Realms Online (RO) for about 6 weeks. I really like this game so that's why Im posting. I'm about level 40 in game and play on Raven (Nth American) server.

i've played quite a few mmos but the No.1 reason I like RO is because it is mainly all faction/team pvp. That means after about level 25 or so, about 70%+ of my in game time is spent fighting other human players. Above level 40 it rises to about 80%-90% of your time. Most everyone in game prefers killing real human players rather than monsters. So the grinding with monsters is mainly just for you to test out skills and attack combos. Levelling is pretty fast (I actually levelled to 25 in about a week about 4-5 hours a day). I actually levelled another character to level 25 on the Horus server.

I found the realm/faction pvp pretty intense. I play a hunter in game and this isa stealth assassin type so I enjoy stalking around and doing "real " hunting. very often I will come on my target unawares and have to puzzle out how I can kill him. Usually the hunter class is weak in 1v1 so it takes quite a bit of figuring out. Big team battles occur about 10+ times a day because people regularly raid to take forts and very often you have to run to defend yours.

Quests - For me the quests are pretty much cookie cutter do this take this there and back type. But there is a storyline which people seem to like (i didnt need to read it to do it much). Most of the quests are based on finding the right NPC but since all the right one is located nearby (or the clue is given quite clearly) its quite easy to find. Each realm has different quests so once you know one realm's quests, its super fast to level in that realm.

Pvp is pretty brutal and there is no mercy as enemy players will kill you on sight or do worse (usually stalk or try to deceive or klure u into a trap). Raven has a lot of GMs on so they provide a lot of xp boosts and fun events. However, I think Horus is also a nice server because its quieter and there are some very awesome veterans there. 

So overall hope you guys try it out. The oly other game I know which has free faction pvp whjich is easy to get into is Aika Online - I didnt like Aika becaue the gfx was too heavy. RO can have really big combat and everything is clear as you nail ur opponent. But I think Aika will struggle. I haven't tried GUildWars but since RO is free and has, for me, solid team pvp im fine with it.

hope that helps!

feel free to ask questions :P

edit: I also noticed DAOC has some free server shards going under the mod name Dawn of Light here

http://www.dolserver.net/storm/d2/

im not sure what this free DAOC islike but it looks quite nice. so maybe its also worth trying. (however i like that RO is officially run as a commercial game and the GMs in RO are pretty keen to support you)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search