Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,904,928 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,291,271
XLGAMES | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/16/14)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

ArcheAge Forum » General Discussion » Combat sucks... why so much hype?

8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
150 posts found
  Celusios

Apprentice Member

OP  1/01/13 5:34:24 AM#1
This game is nothing but recycled non skill based auto target fighting. Why do you people hype it up so much?
  Nacario

Advanced Member

The real world is roleplay and background noise

1/01/13 5:38:17 AM#2
Theres a big diff from actually trying it out yourself and watching someone else figthing. Perhaps you have tried it, but I havent - and yet it feels good. Especially now collision works with spells/abilities on target. Tab target combat can be done if done right.
  Vonatar

Hard Core Member

1/01/13 5:38:59 AM#3
Because of the other features...?
  Ehliya

Advanced Member

1/01/13 5:44:16 AM#4

So-so combat is fine if the entire package is feature rich.  I haven't played it so I am not conceding it is so-so - I simply don't know but I give you the benefit of the doubt.

There are plenty of arena-style games out there that have great PVP.  Archeage is not really designed to compete with them.  It is a virtual world of which PVP is only one of many things you can do.

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

1/01/13 5:46:25 AM#5
Originally posted by Nacario
Theres a big diff from actually trying it out yourself and watching someone else figthing. Perhaps you have tried it, but I havent - and yet it feels good. Especially now collision works with spells/abilities on target. Tab target combat can be done if done right.

Combat is the weakest feature of AA. I had a chance to play the game and i am not impressed by it at all. I don't know about you guys but for me combat makes or breaks the game.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Ramanadjinn

Advanced Member

1/01/13 5:48:55 AM#6
if combat were the only thing that mattered we'd all be playing Tera.
  coltonjefferson

Novice Member

1/01/13 6:00:57 AM#7
Easy. The features it offers besides combat. I honestly hate when games focus only on combat. It ruins the game and kills it for me. It gets so repetitive that I can't play it anymore if combat is ALL it offers. Just like GW2 and pretty much.... all other MMO's that I've played only offer combat... If it has any other features they always seem like less work was put into them. It just really kills the game for me if all it has to offer is combat imo.
  Celusios

Apprentice Member

OP  1/01/13 6:06:31 AM#8
I see. I didn't mean it to come off like you all were dumb for liking this, I was just curious as to why the population is reverting again. This game does seem feature enriched... but as a lot of us come to such games to fight (not all of us I know) I just don't see how the hype can be so high on a WoW style combat.
  coltonjefferson

Novice Member

1/01/13 6:09:12 AM#9
It's fine. I didn't think you were! :) Being curious is fine!
  Pala

Advanced Member

1/01/13 6:34:08 AM#10

FPS combat isn't really better combat, its quicker and more fluid and comes down to speed but an MMO world is so much more. For me personally FPS type combat in a MMO stresses mi out because it dominates the gameplay to such an extent that everything else is just so far removed from combat. Not sure if I am making sense but FPS and MMO for me still do not fit.

TickleMeHomo

Apprentice Member

1/01/13 6:37:48 AM#11
Its that big hype,yet maybe over korea sure but specially Europe i doubt its so hyped.Archage is cool cause u can bulilt stuff and sail stuff and other stuff where aint available in most mmos
  ZagatoMKR

Advanced Member

1/01/13 6:42:59 AM#12

EVE Online's combat isn't all that great either, it's other features that draw players in. Same will be with ArchAge imo. A good looking sandbox fantasy MMORPG, with deep class system, deep crafting, lots of features and objectives for guilds (get lands, build cities, rent those lands to other people etc.).

It might flop or it might prosper, only time will tell.

Cheers.

Celusios

Apprentice Member

OP  1/01/13 7:00:52 AM#13

More great responses. I can see where you guys are coming from. I'm currently dedicated to Mortal Online and it's pretty much the opposite of ArcheAge. It has amazing combat and huge adrenaline rush and all.. but it severely lacks features to keep me busy beyond the normal. I would still like to see a game like Archeage with some kind of free form action combat. That'd be cool. Maybe Elder Scrolls Online will bring that!

MumboJumbo

Advanced Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

1/01/13 7:01:20 AM#14

Thanks for asking this question OP. Where can I find out more about AA combat - with perhaps examples?

I'm interested in what their design intention is with it. :)

RedJorge

Apprentice Member

Sheldon Cooper: Leonard, be serious. We're playing a game here. (Big Bang Theory)

1/01/13 7:03:06 AM#15
Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Exactly.

TERA has the best combat system ever. But the game does not have any end-game content worth the effort.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

JudgeUK

Advanced Member

1/01/13 7:15:20 AM#16
Originally posted by RedJorge
Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Exactly.

TERA has the best combat system ever. But the game does not have any end-game content worth the effort.

Always been Tera's achilles heal. Seems there's more content coming through - finally, although the western market may have to wait behind the korean version.

rawfox

Apprentice Member

1/01/13 7:18:19 AM#17
failpost, sry
  Mike-McQueen

Novice Member

1/01/13 7:20:35 AM#18
To me it's more about the motivating forces behind the combat. When there's a malleable world to fight for it gives you more reason to care about the outcome instead of this battleground lobby garbage where it's just about racking up numbers to stroke your epeen. RP is a huge factor and having a world worth RPing in makes for a good game. And by RPing I don't mean going around emoting and putting on a play. In character actions like the farmer defending his crop or the assassin knifing somebody are real role playing actions that lead to situations that make the world alive, dynamic, and interesting.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Yalexy

Novice Member

1/01/13 7:54:25 AM#19

I take tab-target combat any day over FPS in a MMORPG.

FPS is good for shooters where there's not that many people running around, but it's just not for massive battles with hundreds of players in your FoV.

Imagine EvE Online sized battles but with Freelancer-controls... it would be nothing but a big mess.

ArcheAge is the first MMO in years with a feature-set reminiscent of EvE Online and alot of people wait for a MMO like that but without the spaceships. ArcheAge will not be a MMO for the action-oriented players with short attention spans, but for those, who are intrerested in building and destroying empires over the years.

Phaserlight

Advanced Member

Do you want to improve the world? I don't think it can be done. -Lao Tzu

1/01/13 9:04:49 AM#20

Yalexy, kind of like this?

Okay, so maybe it's not hundreds of players, but the concept and the framework is certainly there, along with the techincal know-how to support that kind of interaction should the playerbase arrive.

A couple more examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fbtO_bc_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtO9hJsIJrs

It works pretty well, from my perspective.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search