Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,516 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,889
XLGAMES | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/16/14)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

ArcheAge Forum » General Discussion » Question on the combat system

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
28 posts found
  Hestia

Novice Member

Love the Life You Live. Live the Life You Love

OP  11/13/12 8:18:48 PM#1

Hi! My huge push to play an MMO is the combat system. Does anyone know how it goes? If so, please explain in detail.

Kumapon

Apprentice Member

11/13/12 9:38:49 PM#2

The combat system for ArcheAge is old school tab-target, it does have a combo system though.

It's extremely similar to Lineage 2. You auto attack for melee when you engage at range and for range attacks you have a hot key so you can spam attacks.

The combat is not what makes ArcheAge shine, it's the skill system and the sandbox endgame.

PVP video

PVE video against a Open world Boss

Hestia

Novice Member

Love the Life You Live. Live the Life You Love

OP  11/14/12 9:52:21 AM#3
Thanks for the info! I'll pass on this game. Have fun to those who are trying it and good luck to the dev team!
  Nemesis7884

Hard Core Member

11/18/12 3:16:25 AM#4
the game has been in development for ages, and the combat system standards have changed quite a bit..maybe they will adapt to that in the future...?
  toddze

Novice Member

I am not a hater, I call it like I see it.

11/19/12 4:28:57 AM#5
Combat means nothing to me. Why because no matter how great, awesome, spectacular, amazing, innovative, perfect, wonderful,etc, etc, etc combat is, it will become, boring, repetative, tedius, grind, etc, etc, etc, over time! Give me content any day. Combat gets old no matter what, content keeps players playing, not combat.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

fenistil

Novice Member

11/19/12 8:50:27 AM#6
Originally posted by Nemesis7884
the game has been in development for ages, and the combat system standards have changed quite a bit..maybe they will adapt to that in the future...?

Don't expect they will change it.  Game is in last stages on development and it is just not possible to make drastic changes, to change it to in example arcade fast paced combat.

AA combat is good enough for me personally.

Nemesis7884

Hard Core Member

11/19/12 2:06:39 PM#7

i completly disagree toddze - you could bring that argument about EVERY aspect of the game - everything within a limited range of possibilities becomes repetitive after a while - thats the nature of the game...nevertheless, standard mmo combat bores the crapp out of me and regardless of what other humpypumpy features an mmo might have - combat is the main activity for 95% of the players...

besides, the game has an expected release of 2014! in China...therefore i wouldnt expect it earlier here since in china they at least allready have a distributor and the translations...so in all honesty, i think xl is making huge mistakes here with their 500 beta tests and slow expansion - thats just not how the game and especially mmo market works...yes nobody wants a broken game, but even less people want a game that is released several years to late and outdated...even games that started development way after archeage will release earlier - if its being released in 2014 or even 15, it will have to compete with games like everquest next, elder scrolls, darkfall and others...not to talk about black desert online which allready know looks about 3 years ahead of archeage and might get a release around the same time

Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

11/19/12 2:09:22 PM#8
Sadly, it's tab-targeting. That's the only real beef I have with the game but it still might keep me away.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

LlexX

Novice Member

11/19/12 2:27:48 PM#9
If you don't like the way combat is handled in AA, than just walk away and choose another game, stop being a carebear and try to change everything! This system suits ArcheAge just perfectly, better than a scripted like action type combat with just 8 skills able to be used!
  toddze

Novice Member

11/20/12 3:13:14 AM#10

i completly disagree toddze - you could bring that argument about EVERY aspect of the game - everything within a limited range of possibilities becomes repetitive after a while - thats the nature of the game...nevertheless, standard mmo combat bores the crapp out of me and regardless of what other humpypumpy features an mmo might have - combat is the main activity for 95% of the players...

I guess Im one of a kind, because I have yet to find one RPG game in my life which dates back the good ole NES genre that I played for the combat. The only game I have ever played strictly for kombat (hint hint ) was none other than Mortal Kombat. As long is the combat in MMO's is average im good, like I said give me content and game world over combat.

xAPOCx

Novice Member

11/20/12 7:15:50 AM#11
Originally posted by toddze
Combat means nothing to me. Why because no matter how great, awesome, spectacular, amazing, innovative, perfect, wonderful,etc, etc, etc combat is, it will become, boring, repetative, tedius, grind, etc, etc, etc, over time! Give me content any day. Combat gets old no matter what, content keeps players playing, not combat.

this all day.

xAPOCx

Novice Member

11/20/12 7:23:43 AM#12

I guess Im one of a kind, because I have yet to find one RPG game in my life which dates back the good ole NES genre that I played for the combat. The only game I have ever played strictly for kombat (hint hint ) was none other than Mortal Kombat. As long is the combat in MMO's is average im good, like I said give me content and game world over combat.

Its come to my attention that those who want this over the top combat are the console crowd looking for MMOs with Street Fighter type combat. They could care less about the content a MMO holds. And thats why games like AA wont appeal to them ( and thats a good thing )

Whats upset me other the years was the influx of these types of gamers that influance devs into thinking that "MMOer" want these types of changes. But the bulk of these people dont even care if its a MMO or a FPS or a 1v1 figher type. Thier not MMOers. There just gamers.

wireded21

Novice Member

11/20/12 7:33:42 AM#13
In m opinion I'd say tab targeting is slowly going out of fashion, free aiming, and more FPS/TPS free targeting based MMO's will become the norm over the next few years.
  xAPOCx

Novice Member

11/20/12 7:46:16 AM#14
Originally posted by wireded21
In m opinion I'd say tab targeting is slowly going out of fashion, free aiming, and more FPS/TPS free targeting based MMO's will become the norm over the next few years.

Well if that does become the "norm" then the genre will be lost on me. Ill be done completely with MMOs. If i want those types of games ill go play a PTS/TPS. It has no place in MMOs.

darkhalf357x

Advanced Member

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

11/20/12 8:45:35 PM#15
Originally posted by fenistil

Don't expect they will change it.  Game is in last stages on development and it is just not possible to make drastic changes, to change it to in example arcade fast paced combat.

AA combat is good enough for me personally.

I agree, I am not a fan of the existing action combat.  Takes away from the core RPG aspects.  This looks to be a new title embracing old (quality) mechanics and I cant wait to try it.   Agreed dont see this title being for everyone.

k11keeper

Hard Core Member

"" "" "" ""

11/21/12 10:22:46 PM#16
Originally posted by xAPOCx

Well if that does become the "norm" then the genre will be lost on me. Ill be done completely with MMOs. If i want those types of games ill go play a PTS/TPS. It has no place in MMOs.

Yeah I have never had any issues with the traditional combat systems in MMOs. I prefer them to not be overly twitchy honestly. I used to be way into unreal tournament, if I wanted fast paced twitchy gameplay I'd go back to FPS games.

Any mmo that introduces free targeting fps style combat will not be played by me.

drivendawn

Hard Core Member

11/21/12 10:41:10 PM#17

this all day.

Agreed, tab targeting or action baced if it dont have good story/lore, world and content then who cares.

toddze

Novice Member

11/22/12 1:45:31 AM#18

Well even if it does become the norm, maybe MMO's can get back to becoming MMO's. A real MMO is and has always been a game for a niche group. Its just these online RPG's are starting to take off, but these online RPG's are not MMO's. Real MMO's will come back and co-exist with the online RPG's.

azzamasin

Advanced Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

11/22/12 1:47:20 AM#19

I like content as well but the combat has to be fluid, polished and fun for most people (me included) to get involved in other elements.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Biskop

Novice Member

11/25/12 1:07:26 PM#20
Tab-target combat is getting old. While some people seem to think twitch-based combat doesn't belong in MMOs, many others would like to see the genre evolve.

Tab-targeting and button-mashing is far less dynamic and skill based than twitch combat, which makes it feel repetetive and bland - especially when it's been the genre standard for so long.

Just like many new titles evolve away from the tired old class mechanics, level-based progression and gear-grind logic, future MMOs will hopefully leave tab-targeting behind.
2 Pages 1 2 » Search