Trending Games | Landmark | Villagers and Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,217 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,024
XLGAMES | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/16/14)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

ArcheAge Forum » General Discussion » ArcheAge on cloud nine

8 posts found
  Sukiyaki

Elite Member

OP  10/13/12 6:48:33 AM#1

"So we heard u liek next gen MMO gaming? So like we put your next gen game into next gen tech with next gen tech, so you can next gen while next genning the next generation."

XLGAMES will confront the dilemma of the ever growing client file size with cloud gaming support for ArcheAge. Downloading the full 20 GB installer would no longer be needed and player can jump right into the game.

The same tech will be used for ArcheAges also fresh announced tablet client version.

Videolink:

Source: http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/10/archeage-no-client-download-needed-with-cloud-tech/

fenistil

Novice Member

10/13/12 6:59:20 AM#2
There will be a choice between standalone client or cloud / stream gaming or only cloud/stream one?
  Khebeln

Hard Core Member

Leader and founder of the Excessum Gaming Community

10/13/12 8:37:17 AM#3
I would still like to download it on my SDD, but its nice option for tablets.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2

Ashlura

Advanced Member

10/13/12 8:54:13 AM#4

How will this affect PvP?

Usually the better system you have, the faster internet you have, the better u fair in PvP.  Not always, but every second counts.

AzurePrower

Apprentice Member

Ahh yes, "Hypers." The people who praise and hate every MMORPG... We've dismissed that claim.

10/13/12 8:58:44 AM#5

Lag in games is bad enough. Downloading 20 GB constantly whilst playing? That's got to suck for your connection.

The Internet is not ready for cloud gaming in the MMO genre.

Edelbert

Apprentice Member

10/13/12 5:06:46 PM#6
The tablet version kinda bothers me the most. I hope they won't have to cut down the actual game because of it.
  Sukiyaki

Elite Member

OP  10/13/12 6:25:28 PM#7
Originally posted by AzurePrower

Lag in games is bad enough. Downloading 20 GB constantly whilst playing? That's got to suck for your connection.

The Internet is not ready for cloud gaming in the MMO genre.

The idea of cloud gaming is that you dont actually have the whole client running on your PC and in consequence neither have to download the  20GB client at all. Usually all you download would be a small client of few Megabytes for logging into the game, sending control input to the server and receive and display the stream. All you get back is an image not just packages of data that your local client would interprete and then display using all those assets on your harddrive. All that will happen in the cloud.

Cloud computing if anything opens up MORE room for devs to work with but only if it where 100% cloud with no alternative available (or two different high quality and low quality clients). They wouldnt have to cripple the game for those with weak machines. They will likely develop specialized server side game clients that can use the same assets for processing of hundreds of player at the same time.

In the end the only factor with impact on you gameplay is your connection speed. The effects would be either lower resolution or lag.

Of course the issue we have in the West is that we have almost 4-5 times slower downstream than the average Korean player. As far as I know their public wireless network is almost as fast as our average cable broadband either. So wed probably face low ress quality or have to resort to downloading the client beforhand.

XilentStorm

Apprentice Member

Games are epic.

10/18/12 10:12:19 AM#8

"The same tech will be used for ArcheAges also fresh announced tablet client version."

Tell me more, please.

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Combat Arms - Crossfire -AVA
Maplestory, and more.