Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft | EverQuest

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,058 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,381
XLGAMES | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/16/14)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

ArcheAge Forum » General Discussion » Review by a level 50

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
91 posts found
  azzamasin

Elite Member

Joined: 6/06/12
Posts: 2804

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

3/06/13 4:00:49 PM#41
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Elikal

Sorry, but I think I pass.


Labour Points? Crop and lifestock dies when I don't log in? Everyone can kill me? And PLAYER trials?

That sounds like all my MMO nightmares in one game. Good riddance. It looks cool, and I would have been interested in a sandbox again, but this is just absurd. The influence of other people in my game experience is WAAAY too big, and due to experience 8 out of 10 people use their power to grief others. Probably Asians are raised different, but Western people are evil Schmocks. So thanks, but NO thanks.

My cat died in PVP is certainly something I NEVER EVER want to experience in a game. Period. (Much less than it STARVED to death!) Horrible. Just plain horrible.

Oh and CC galore? OMG. That is SO bad I don't know what to say. CC is bad in PVP at all, because I imagine PVP as dynamic, not as stun-galore. And reading AA has tons of CC... yeah no thanks again. 

 

And TAXES? What is this? New World Order simulator?

"This Game is presented to you by Bilderbergers. Bilderbergers - the group bringing the New World Order to you!"

Basically everything that is somehow realistic about this game is annoying for you. Or at least it is how it appears to me after reading your post.

Everyone can kill me, crop and lifestock can die when you do not feed them / take care of them, taxes....

I am actually glad this game attempts at being more of a virtual world than lobby for various rides.

You either embrace the challenge related to it or go hide in the safety of your lobby :)

And will be annoying to the vast majority of gamers as well, me included.  Hardly anyone plays video games to do more of the same crap we do in real life, farming, herding, building....menial jobs baked on a WoW clone PvE questing and Combat structure.

 

Huge pass for me.  This game is the next Aion, mark my words.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

  coretex666

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1824

"I shall take your position into consideration"

3/06/13 6:16:28 PM#42
Originally posted by azzamasin
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Elikal

Sorry, but I think I pass.


Labour Points? Crop and lifestock dies when I don't log in? Everyone can kill me? And PLAYER trials?

That sounds like all my MMO nightmares in one game. Good riddance. It looks cool, and I would have been interested in a sandbox again, but this is just absurd. The influence of other people in my game experience is WAAAY too big, and due to experience 8 out of 10 people use their power to grief others. Probably Asians are raised different, but Western people are evil Schmocks. So thanks, but NO thanks.

My cat died in PVP is certainly something I NEVER EVER want to experience in a game. Period. (Much less than it STARVED to death!) Horrible. Just plain horrible.

Oh and CC galore? OMG. That is SO bad I don't know what to say. CC is bad in PVP at all, because I imagine PVP as dynamic, not as stun-galore. And reading AA has tons of CC... yeah no thanks again. 

 

And TAXES? What is this? New World Order simulator?

"This Game is presented to you by Bilderbergers. Bilderbergers - the group bringing the New World Order to you!"

Basically everything that is somehow realistic about this game is annoying for you. Or at least it is how it appears to me after reading your post.

Everyone can kill me, crop and lifestock can die when you do not feed them / take care of them, taxes....

I am actually glad this game attempts at being more of a virtual world than lobby for various rides.

You either embrace the challenge related to it or go hide in the safety of your lobby :)

And will be annoying to the vast majority of gamers as well, me included.  Hardly anyone plays video games to do more of the same crap we do in real life, farming, herding, building....menial jobs baked on a WoW clone PvE questing and Combat structure.

 

Huge pass for me.  This game is the next Aion, mark my words.

The first point is just speculation. It may turn out to be true, but at this point, it is too early to tell.

Second point is your opinion which I do not really agree with. It is probable that majority of MMO players prefer mainstream MMO activities rather appearing in themepark games, such as raids, bgs, dungeons, etc. However, I still believe that saying that hardly anyone plays MMOs for the type of activities which you listed is quite bold. There have been popular games built around other activities than combat. Look at Minecraft, Ultima Online,...

The game may definitely fail, but if it does, it will not be for the reasons you are stating here, in my opinion.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  waynejr2

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 3743

RIP City of Heroes!

3/06/13 6:22:16 PM#43
Originally posted by craftseeker
Well written review.  However it confirms my fears about the game and does nothing to increase my interest.  I do not care for compulsary PvP.

 At least you have many other game choices.  Let this game be what it is and move on.

  lilmark_utsa

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/09/05
Posts: 67

3/06/13 7:10:26 PM#44
Originally posted by azzamasin

And will be annoying to the vast majority of gamers as well, me included.  Hardly anyone plays video games to do more of the same crap we do in real life, farming, herding, building....menial jobs baked on a WoW clone PvE questing and Combat structure.

 

Huge pass for me.  This game is the next Aion, mark my words.

If that were true I guess that would make The Sims one of the biggest flops of all time.  You're making assumptions based soley on your distaste for such gameplay. 

I hope it is the next Aion.  At least it would hold my interest past lvl 5 unlike WoW.

Aion, WoW, SWTOR, Tera, GW2, FFXIV, and the soon to come ESO.....all the same thing.  Granted there's 2-3 from this list I enjoyed, but they're all virtually the same thing cover-to-cover.

Archeage on the other hand may have similar aspects to previous MMO's, but at least it's trying to venture away from the poor standard, in my opinion, that WoW set in place when it caught the horde of newbies that began venturing into the MMO world.  The majority of WoW players, and new MMO'ers, are the new hippies of the world today.  They want it easy.  Anything that proposes a challenge and requires effort is met with criticism and QQ's.  Elder Scrolls is a prime example of what's happening to all games (especially mmo's) today.  Watch this video and tell me my arguement isn't true.  Elder Scrolls: The Dumbing Down

 

  Punk999

Novice Member

Joined: 10/26/04
Posts: 882

3/06/13 7:25:58 PM#45
I still cant wait for AA to come out! I am still excited at the thought of bein a pirate, and stealin crops, and killin people with supply etc. of course ill go to jail... but thats ok ill bust out.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
^MMORPG.com

  Akerbeltz

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/12/13
Posts: 153

3/08/13 7:20:00 AM#46
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by azzamasin
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Elikal
 

And will be annoying to the vast majority of gamers as well, me included.  Hardly anyone plays video games to do more of the same crap we do in real life, farming, herding, building....menial jobs baked on a WoW clone PvE questing and Combat structure.

 

Huge pass for me.  This game is the next Aion, mark my words.

The first point is just speculation. It may turn out to be true, but at this point, it is too early to tell.

Second point is your opinion which I do not really agree with. It is probable that majority of MMO players prefer mainstream MMO activities rather appearing in themepark games, such as raids, bgs, dungeons, etc. However, I still believe that saying that hardly anyone plays MMOs for the type of activities which you listed is quite bold. There have been popular games built around other activities than combat. Look at Minecraft, Ultima Online,...

The game may definitely fail, but if it does, it will not be for the reasons you are stating here, in my opinion.

 

Point is that guy, Azzamasin, is criticizing all the features that give RPG its raison d'etre, I blame Blizzard for travestying the genre after BC in order to attract the lowest common denominator among gamers.

 

And from those dusts come these muds: a bunch of rpg-tourists alien to the basics of RPG that look in mmoRPGs for the same instant gratification and ultra-casual essence of games like Halo and Call of Duty. The presence of the RPG acronym in recent mmoRPG titles is purely anecdotal, a  remainder of an era where the RPG tabletop essence and mechanics were aligned with current in-game features - look at the amount of interaction and possibilities for metagame that games like Lineage, UO, AC, SWG had; those games basically had no end, no need for that crappy "End-Game" concept (actually, a name for a bad game design).

 

EVE, of course, is an oasis in this desert of mediocrity. And, fortunately, it looks like we're gonna have some hope in games like AA, Repopulaiton, EQnext, World of Darkness. It was about time after 10 years of mind numbing on-rails, compartmentalized, supercasual crap.

 

 

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

  Stromm

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/14/06
Posts: 250

3/08/13 7:35:47 AM#47

Taxes, Legal systems, stun locks, wow style questing ...

To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Sounds awful".

 

 

  elocke

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 6/15/04
Posts: 4113

3/08/13 7:45:24 AM#48
Originally posted by Stromm

Taxes, Legal systems, stun locks, wow style questing ...

To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Sounds awful".

 

 

Stun locks suck, but the rest?  I actually enjoy wow style questing and have only been impressed with TSWs, although that needs work in some areas too.   Or was this just a veiled attempt to garner more hate for WoW, a game I have yet to see any real negatives about besides the over focus on raiding endgame.  All other negatives are based on pure head fiction.

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

  ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

Joined: 10/28/06
Posts: 4282

3/12/13 12:14:04 PM#49
Originally posted by adderVXI

I can believe what im hearing.  What have MMO players become?  Are people beyond being pleased with anything anymore???

Im not going to play cause i might get rained on?   my crops just dont convert to gold?  I could die??  I might go to prison is i kill someone?  I might get ganked?  I have to do quests??  The game is to big!  The game is to small!  I dont like the trial system!  I dont like that someone could steal my stuff!  If i steal someones shit i could go to jail?!?!?!  If i neglect my crops and animals they could die???!

Ok some stuff was silly but WTF really?  What a pile of crybabies!!  If you see something thats a deal breaker, sorry, drive on soldier.  There will be something out there for you.  I could see where even i may say this is way to time consuming but thats fine, it will be perfect for the other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

  User Deleted
3/15/13 7:44:10 PM#50
I am looking forward to trying this game....
  adderVXI

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/08/05
Posts: 628

~Brawndo~

3/16/13 9:36:59 AM#51
Originally posted by tkreep
Originally posted by adderVXI

I can believe what im hearing.  What have MMO players become?  Are people beyond being pleased with anything anymore???

Im not going to play cause i might get rained on?   my crops just dont convert to gold?  I could die??  I might go to prison is i kill someone?  I might get ganked?  I have to do quests??  The game is to big!  The game is to small!  I dont like the trial system!  I dont like that someone could steal my stuff!  If i steal someones shit i could go to jail?!?!?!  If i neglect my crops and animals they could die???!

Ok some stuff was silly but WTF really?  What a pile of crybabies!!  If you see something thats a deal breaker, sorry, drive on soldier.  There will be something out there for you.  I could see where even i may say this is way to time consuming but thats fine, it will be perfect for the other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

LOL thats about the perfect clip for most of these guys!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

  User Deleted
3/16/13 11:22:22 AM#52

This review posted by the OP is basically what ive heard from people who have played the game.

Its a themepark with linear quests first and formost. Im not sure why people decided to dub the game a sandbox simply for its housing system and farming.  I heard farming was over rated in the game, but it is a nice addition to any themepark imo..as is player housing.

 

So the risk vs reward with the only decent sounding systems, relating to law and criminal activites, will means it wont be worth participating in...which sucks.  Thats what sounded the most interesting.

Im sure it will be a decent themepark game though.  Im going to play it for sure when its released here.  I forsee the typical swelling of population followed by a sharp decline once people realize its just the same old themepark.

 

Anyway, like i was told, if your hoping this game to be a great sandbox, your going to be very dissapointed in the game.

 

  Vindicar

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/13
Posts: 137

Dun Mock meh engliesh !

3/16/13 12:47:38 PM#53
Originally posted by Elikal
WAAAY too big, and due to experience 8 out of 10 people use their power to grief others. Probably Asians are raised different, but Western people are evil Schmocks.
 

Hmmm excuse me ?

Have you really been playing PvP MMOs those last 15 years ?

 

most chinese, viet or whatever guilds are filled with pure brainless-PKs...

Thanks god not all of 'em of course...

But saying that Asian players are better educated is really really ridiculous.....

It's not all black or white...

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
Recently known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
Actually Known as "Wundicar" in Age of Wushu (US)

  FromHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/12
Posts: 1338

3/16/13 1:21:56 PM#54
oh yeah , this game needs a good, hard westernization... mhmmm...

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
.


.
The Return of ELITE !

  coretex666

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1824

"I shall take your position into consideration"

3/16/13 2:33:14 PM#55
Originally posted by FromHell
oh yeah , this game needs a good, hard westernization... mhmmm...

wait what

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/03/07
Posts: 777

3/30/13 6:22:25 AM#56
As long as there is freedom PVP wise I am happy. I hope they will stand by their word and implement playerbased factions later on, would be amazing.
  Eir_S

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/07/11
Posts: 4703

GW2 socialist.

3/30/13 6:38:49 AM#57
I agree about the "animal-race"'s running animation.  In fact, I mentioned this waaaaaay back when I was personally much more excited about AA.  The rest sounds doable, but I figured it was going to be more sandbox than people are saying. 
  User Deleted
3/30/13 6:49:39 AM#58

I see it's popping up even more, the closer we get to a beta by TRION.

Told you so, about the whole sandbox slash themepark brainteaser. People jumped way too soon on the whole "ahmagad it's a sandbox" train before looking around a bit more.

Once again, those who have their expectations in check will enjoy the game for what it is

  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

Joined: 8/13/09
Posts: 5696

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

3/30/13 7:05:48 AM#59

No matter how good the game is, until devs stop adding this bad and generic questing system as the main source of leveling and storytelling, every mmo will feel and get boring fast. I doubt ill pay a sub again for a game with generic questing. Everything else sound good, but i personally am tired of this and will not keep supporting mmos with generic questing as the main focus of progression through the story. These companies are starting to make very good games but they kill them in a second with this decades old, boring, generic, plain bad questing system. Maybe the devs think the questing system has zero importance in the game and that nobody will care if they just keep the same boring static questing? if so, then why even bother adding quests...... and if your going to bother adding them, then please add a good dynamic questing system. SPecially in a game like this one that has sandbox elements.

  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/03/07
Posts: 777

3/30/13 5:52:09 PM#60
Originally posted by NBlitz

I see it's popping up even more, the closer we get to a beta by TRION.

Told you so, about the whole sandbox slash themepark brainteaser. People jumped way too soon on the whole "ahmagad it's a sandbox" train before looking around a bit more.

Once again, those who have their expectations in check will enjoy the game for what it is

Better people see things like that before launch. No need for another SWTOR. :P

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search