Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,065 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,261
Red 5 Studios | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 07/09/13)  | Pub:Red 5 Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Firefall Forum » General Discussion » Firefall vs Planetside 2

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
48 posts found
  Raserei

Novice Member

OP  12/01/12 3:10:12 PM#1

Let's face it, these are the only two major MMOFPS games on the market.

Let's compare the two...

Planetside 2:

-Final product  Unlike Firefall, this game is RELEASED. Not a beta...

-Free to play

-6 Classes all with unique roles and guns.

-Three factions at war for territorial control

-Vehicle Combat (Air and ground)

-No RPG elements or sense of "progression", you just unlock guns and get battle rank which is for show.

-Large scale battles... Literally hundreds of players on all three factions fighting over massive bases.

-Very good graphics and good performance even on low/medium machines if you put the settings down.

-What you see is what you get. The entire game is capturing bases at the moment. 

Overall verdict:  The game is an acquired taste. If you like this sort of game, it's amazing. I would give it an 8/10. No bias, just the honest truth. (That being said, I personally found this game repetitive, so it wasn't for me)

Firefall:

-EARLY closed beta which will last until summer of 2013 or further. (They are using a new model where they aren't wiping experience in there beta but a lot of things are going to change. This gives incentive to test the game without the loss of progression)

-5 classes all with unique roles and guns.

-Currently one faction at war with an NPC faction called "The Chosen"

-Open world with random quests/events that appear near where you are.

-Focuses on gathering resources with a mini-game twist. You get these machines called "Thumpers" which drill into the ground and gather resources and while this happens, bugs start to swarm the area. It turns into like a tower defense sort of. Thumpers have quality levels which determine how hard it will be. It's very strategic and a unique take on things.

-The Chosen (NPC) randomly attack outposts which are spread out throughout the map. They can overrun them and the players will lose access to them until they are taken back. (Currently this feature is in early testing and they are still heavily tweaking this to give better rewards and have better AI)

-Progression is based on Tier levels which you unlock with experience. You can un;ock everything within your tier if you farm enough experience and you can also switch between classes if you purchase them. (3 slots free, the rest are paid for)

-Cartoony style graphics (Some like this, some don't)

-PvP is instanced like battlegrounds. There are a few different gamemodes and you get experience/resources for participating. (Open world PvP is still being worked on but will be in the game in the future)

Overall verdict: The game is an acquired taste. It brings new elements to the table but underneath it all, it will come down to either liking it a lot or hating it. The game is currently in EARLY beta and there are a lot of things not finished or not even in the game yet. The game will remain in beta for at least another year but nothing is lost of you are in the beta, you keep your character. My rating for it's current state which is EARLY beta:  8/10

As you can see, both games are good ut not everyone will like them. I'm not a huge fan of FPS games. The only one I ever got into was Counterstrike : Source. I am however, a fan of MMORPG's and MMO's in general. I took the liberty to play both of them and see how they are and then tried to give them an honest review. Firefall, even though it's in early beta, is pretty fun. The UI/GUI needs work.... but the game isn't even close to release yet. Planetside 2, has large scale combat, vehicles, and a ton of weapons. Some people will prefer one over the other.

Raserei

Novice Member

OP  12/01/12 3:15:26 PM#2

The purpose of this thread is for two things:

1.) People making posts on how they hate Firefall. This makes absolutely no sense because this game is in early beta and won't even be in open beta or release for another year or more.

2.) People comparing Planetside 2 and Firefall and saying one is better. While this is highly opinionated and like my reviews say, they are both an acquired taste. They are both 8/10 in my book. Both free and both have different styles of playing and overall meta games.  

Planetside 2 is large scale three faction warfare fighting over territories for resources and buffs.

Firefall is gathering resources in various ways. one of which is the thumper system where it turns the game into a strategic tower defense. Defending/Attacking outposts from "The Chosen" which are NPC's. And structured PvP via instanced battlegrounds. There will also be open world PvP later on AND more features that aren't even in the game yet.

So Planetside 2 gives you more of a traditional FPS experience while Firefall is abstract and brings a few new things to the table. BOTH are good games...

snoocky

Advanced Member

12/01/12 3:15:29 PM#3
PS2...no doubt
  Vannor

Hard Core Member

12/01/12 3:20:36 PM#4
They arn't even close to being the same type of game. Shouldn't be compared.
  Heretique

Apprentice Member

Most of my posts get deleted.

12/01/12 3:27:54 PM#5

Both have their own pro/con's and are both decent games. Just don't see a reason to do a comparison/"vs" between the two as they are both pretty much different.

Play both, live life, be merry.

Originally posted by salsa41
are you have problem ?

rawfox

Apprentice Member

12/01/12 3:29:27 PM#6

Its too early to judge about Firefall.

There is still 5k+ keys for this weekend available and they need some numbers due to tests.

Firefall is not yet complete even if the NDA is lifted, but it really grew up to a great game today.

To me, its a great game ^^

Crunchy222

Apprentice Member

12/01/12 4:23:19 PM#7

So to dumb down the comparison further:

PLS2 = massive epic battles in a persistant world involving infantry,tanks, and air support

FF = guarding a thumper that mines and instanced pvp.

HMM

Raserei

Novice Member

OP  12/01/12 6:51:34 PM#8
Originally posted by Crunchy222

So to dumb down the comparison further:

PLS2 = massive epic battles in a persistant world involving infantry,tanks, and air support

FF = guarding a thumper that mines and instanced pvp.

HMM

Also for firefall, defending/attacking outposts (which isn't finished yet) and later on open-world PvP and also, they are gonna add more to crafting.

Remember, Firefall is in EARLY beta. Release isn't until late 2013 and thats a maybe.

Ramonski7

Spotlight Poster

"A wise man has something to say, but a fool just has to say something."

12/01/12 9:04:17 PM#9
I pick Wildstar! I just wish I had a chance to try it. Tried the other two btw.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

vzerov

Novice Member

12/02/12 12:53:16 AM#10
There is actually some sort of character progression in ps2, you can unlock slot equipment, which has levels.
  secton

Advanced Member

12/02/12 1:00:56 AM#11
I think firefall would be great because you can explore and fight NPC. I never understood what PVP was all about, so its good that it is small scale so not many people can do it.

mmm pizza

Gravarg

Spotlight Poster

12/02/12 2:28:15 AM#12

Well, I'd pick Firefall.  There's 3 major things wrong with Planetside 2.

1) The Community - Everyone acts like a 12 year old with a sniper rifle, thinking they're god...and if they're not that, the rest are all elitists, who think they're god and blow up chat when they die.  God complex much?  Players in Firefall actually group up and work together to achieve a goal.  There are more goals to achieve also.

2) System Requirements - Planetside 2 requires you to have a gaming computer.  Firefall does not.  You can play it on a mid range system, but the gameplay is so horrid, it's nearly unplayable, and you'll end up with 1 kill for every 50 deaths just because you can't hit anything because your computer is too slow.  I can't scream this loud enough to developers, but they seem to all go in the opposite direction.  You slit your own throat when you narrow your potential costumer base by having super high graphics, without supporting lower end systems as well.  Ever hear of a game called World of Warcraft?  One of the major reasons it's so popular is that you can play it on just about any computer made in the last 5 years, if not older.  Being Free to Play makes these games casual centric with thier playerbase (imho).  And people that play casually aren't going to invest in a gaming rig.

3)  SOE - Do I really have to say more?  Give it six months, they'll be charging you a dollar per round and $50 for a ATV, $100 for a helicpoter...and it only gets worse.  Looking at the firefall store, there doesn't seem to be anything at all that you have to buy.

Edit: On the Community part, I think games that are PvP centric all promote elitism, and it ruins gameplay for anyone that isn't going to play more than an hour or two a day.

Best Game Ever? Highest game rated on Metacritic!

corpusc

Apprentice Member

CHATTANOOGAN

contact me if you are seriously interested in
* C#
* making an old schoolish FPS

12/02/12 2:40:51 AM#13
Originally posted by Gravarg

Well, I'd pick Firefall.  There's 3 major things wrong with Planetside 2.

1) The Community - Everyone acts like a 12 year old with a sniper rifle, thinking they're god...and if they're not that, the rest are all elitists, who think they're god and blow up chat when they die.  God complex much?  Players in Firefall actually group up and work together to achieve a goal.  There are more goals to achieve also.

2) System Requirements - Planetside 2 requires you to have a gaming computer.  Firefall does not.  You can play it on a mid range system, but the gameplay is so horrid, it's nearly unplayable, and you'll end up with 1 kill for every 50 deaths just because you can't hit anything because your computer is too slow.  I can't scream this loud enough to developers, but they seem to all go in the opposite direction.  You slit your own throat when you narrow your potential costumer base by having super high graphics, without supporting lower end systems as well.  Ever hear of a game called World of Warcraft?  One of the major reasons it's so popular is that you can play it on just about any computer made in the last 5 years, if not older.  Being Free to Play makes these games casual centric with thier playerbase (imho).  And people that play casually aren't going to invest in a gaming rig.

3)  SOE - Do I really have to say more?  Give it six months, they'll be charging you a dollar per round and $50 for a ATV, $100 for a helicpoter...and it only gets worse.  Looking at the firefall store, there doesn't seem to be anything at all that you have to buy.

Edit: On the Community part, I think games that are PvP centric all promote elitism, and it ruins gameplay for anyone that isn't going to play more than an hour or two a day.

i don't necessarily agree with all those points, but i'll add on another anyways:

4) there is no immersive world (unlike Firefall)

and since everything else about it is pretty standard FPS (besides the # of players being cranked up quite a bit), that's a dealbreaker.  i've been playing FPS games for 16 years.  they need to do more than crank up the #'s of players and the arena sizes to interest me.

The End
---------------------------
i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

Wicoa

Elite Member

12/02/12 5:46:13 AM#14

Put simply for me.

Firefall is what I would imagine a supe'd up TF2 mmorpg would be with pve.

PS2 is a great step up and replacement for BF/COD.

LoboMau

Novice Member

12/02/12 5:54:06 AM#15
Originally posted by Ramonski7
I pick Wildstar! I just wish I had a chance to try it. Tried the other two btw.

I Think we are talking about MMOFPS. Wildstar is a MMORPG. About the topic, I like them both. When I want  PVP with lots of players that combine tactics and strategy I go for PS2. Firefall has a interesting  PVE and competitive PVP. So I think we can play the 2 games. By the way, dont forget APB, very fun free game, playing about a year and enjoying it! The only problem with these games? I dont have time to play them all! :P

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

12/02/12 6:37:55 PM#16

Firefall PvE > Planetside 2's

Planetside 2's PvP > Firefall's

Let's build the ultimate MMO 1 feature at a time
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398555/page/1

aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

12/02/12 6:43:49 PM#17

Nothing ti compare, they are not even the same type of game.

Firefall focus on individuals, PS2 focus on massive team work.

Both are good though imo and quite innovative compare to what has came out this year.

tank017

Novice Member

12/02/12 6:48:28 PM#18

Already playing one and will be trying the other once it releases.

Any game,if I deem entertaining,is welcome into my nerdy arms.

Bossalinie

Advanced Member

12/02/12 6:53:45 PM#19
Originally posted by mmoguy43

Firefall PvE > Planetside 2's

Planetside 2's PvP > Firefall's

PS2 has no PvE. It is a multipler FPS at heart. It's more of a child prodigy of the  Battlefield series more so than any MMO

Sciva

Advanced Member

12/02/12 7:00:28 PM#20

Gravarg, the system reqs are fine. It's the apologists like you that let these terrible facebook, casual, did i mention terrible? "games" that shouldn't even exist so that even the lowest common denominator can get to them with ease. Im glad it has high system requirements so i can actually use my gaming pc for gasp... GAMING.  It's nice that they thought about the gamer, and bitching about SOE? Blizzard is worse, so don't come in here on your £25 high horse you got from their store.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search