Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,592 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,075
Red 5 Studios | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 07/09/13)  | Pub:Red 5 Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Firefall Forum » General Discussion » FireFall Vs. GW2

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/04/12 12:18:47 PM#21
Ff just looks like a small scale planetside2 to me. I can't see what ff offers than planetside 2 doesn't on a larger scale.
  lalartu

Apprentice Member

11/05/12 7:23:28 AM#22

firefall is okay, but not nearly as great as GW2

the RPG part in firefall is very rudimentary, the controls are akin to other FPS and honestly, there's very little novelty in terms of design too. 

it feels like a solid game, but nothing I would pay money for though

my Gaming Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/lalartu

Join me on Twitter @WhatDaMath
http://twitter.com/WhatDaMath
I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

IPolygon

Novice Member

11/05/12 7:26:37 AM#23
I haven't played Firefall yet, but I don't have much time to play another big title or participate in the beta test that is. I am waiting for a full review to help make up my mind. Hence I cannot vote in this poll.
  Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

11/05/12 12:09:19 PM#24
Firefall has good PvE PS2 doesn't even have it at all.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/05/12 12:42:25 PM#25
Yeah, I'm not that bothered about pve. Am I right in thinking the pvp is all instanced mini game matches type stuff, like wow or cod?
  samvenice

Novice Member

11/05/12 1:49:20 PM#26
Originally posted by lalartu

firefall is okay, but not nearly as great as GW2

the RPG part in firefall is very rudimentary, the controls are akin to other FPS and honestly, there's very little novelty in terms of design too. 

it feels like a solid game, but nothing I would pay money for though

I don't even get the reason of comparing firefall with gw2.
It's like comparing Gran Turismo 5 with Grid.

First of all, it caters to completely different audiences (being a different genre).

"not as great as GW2": there are few of us thinking that gw2 is not as great as gw1 or not even worth playing. I guess the same can be said about pretty much any title. To each its own?

RPG part in firefall is very rudimentary: game is in beta and there have been quite a few complete "overhauls" already. we'll see how it turns out in the end. There's also people saying that rpg component in gw2 is amazing and other people claiming the opposite (obviously they are playing it wrong - lol?)

Controls: well a shooter plays like a shooter. GW2 plays like any other tab target game released since the dawn of time. Some of us like shooters, some of us like tab target games, some of us like other things. No matter how you dress it up, in terms of control there has been no novelty in the gaming industry for the past 20 years no matter what bs PR people try to shove down our throat. The only innovation in terms of controls I can think of in the recent years, was Heavy Rain on ps3 (which then again, people can intensely love and replay or just drop within 30 seconds).

Some people paid for gw2 and asked for a refund. Others paid for gw2 and are happy and having a blast.

Nobody will have to pay a dime for playing Firefall and decide afterwards if worth spending few occasional $$ instead of an upfront "blind payment" of 50$ or whatever it is that GW2 sells for on cdkeys websites nowadays.

On a side note: FF has "dynamic stuff" that is really dynamic and popping everywhere (and also player controlled in where/when/how to trigger). GW2 "DE thing" is nothing more than yet another marketing stunt.

Last but not least: ps2 is a 3-faction persistent conflict spanning across massive zones, with no craft, no level progression and no pve. Firefall is the opposite.

Not saying one thing is better than the other. Just saying diversity and options are good for the customer base (all of us), and there's no real "versus" apart from "what each one of us like vs. what each one of us doesn't like", we all in control of our wallets (hopefully) and everyone's a winner :D

And this whole thread sounds like an alternative to the chewbacca defense. ^_^

Pilnkplonk

Apprentice Member

11/08/12 11:06:49 AM#27

What a silly thread.

I'm currently playing both GW2 and FF and enjoying both immensely. There is simply no competition between the two - both are great at what they do. Imo GW2 is well worth the 60$ box price, as for FF, I've been betaing it for the past few days and have yet to see how long it will hold me, but all I can see so far is pretty impressive... let's say that it is seriously eating into my second game time which used to be held by TF2 for the past couple of years.

(a pro tip - do not play only one game at any time period. since you are not a robot, you will get bored if you play only one game all the time. ideally i play 2 games at any given time, one is the "primary" that i really sink my teeth into while the second one is for when i realize i'm in danger of getting bored by the primary one.)

As for the box price... well imo both games are seriously underpriced at what they offer, especially in comparison with similar titles. Considering what passes for AAA mmos nowadays, it's a sin GW2 is not charging a sub and FF is not charging for the box. Maybe their revenue models will pay off in the end, but it is simply amazing that these two games come so cheaply.

darkrain21

Novice Member

11/08/12 11:07:44 AM#28
this isnt even a proper comparison the games are Vastly diffrent.
  DAS1337

Apprentice Member

11/09/12 12:24:59 PM#29
Originally posted by DarkVagabond
Originally posted by Caskio
No reason to compare the two.  For me, I'm not buying either anyways.

Of course you aren't buying firefall, its free.

Oh.. so that $20 I spent to just get into the beta was a figment of my imagination?  

Do you think that the grocery store will allow me to take their food for free too?

Seriously, I see this comment so much and it's hilariously maddening.  Nothing is free to play unless you spend ZERO money to get the game and to play it.  Buy to play is what Firefall is, and that is B2P.  

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/09/12 12:30:43 PM#30
A ps2 / gw2 comparison would be fairer considering what planetside is gaming for and what WvW is aiming for us the same thing.

Be interesting to see if ps2 brings back the competition and faction pride present in its predecessor and daoc which gw2 sadly lacks and is hurting its long term pvp potential.

Should stop one annoyance from gw2 - being forced to pve so you can afford to pvp, with it having no pve.
  DAS1337

Apprentice Member

11/09/12 12:33:42 PM#31

And how about the rest of you just answer the poll instead of trying to troll the OP.

They are similar enough to compare.  They are both hybrid MMO's, with persistent worlds, crafting, PvP, PvE, and a progression system.  Whether you like Sci-Fi FPS/TPS over traditional high fantasy games should be reflected in your choice in this poll.

I didn't particularly like GW1, and nothing about GW2 really interests me.  I don't really like many Sci-Fi games, but Firefall draws my interest.  It's a new breed of MMO's that we really haven't seen before, at least not like this.  So perhaps some of the excitement is the thought of something new.  The game is in beta and there are many features that are not in the game, but the core of  it is there and I enjoy it.  Thumping can get boring, but it really is a game that you can jump into for 10 minutes and still be able to progress your character.  It's literally like UT in a MMO space, and that's fun to me.  

I'm eagerly anticipating the PvE additions coming up, as well as army content, vehicles, open world PvP, achievement systems, and the fleshing out of all of the world that is currently released.  There are a lot of features on the horizon, and I expect them to be just as polished as everything that is currently in game.

So I think you know where my vote is.  I've already paid $20 to play the beta.  The only reason I didn't pay $100 is because I just bought a house.  Understandably strapped for cash.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/09/12 12:34:24 PM#32
Originally posted by Badaboom
No reason that you cannot replace vs with &.

Thank you!  Why the hell does it always have to be mutually exclusive.  Gamers need to actually start thinking, not just thinking like adults, but thinking period.

Curse you AquaScum!

Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/09/12 12:36:45 PM#33
Originally posted by DAS1337

And how about the rest of you just answer the poll instead of trying to troll the OP.

Because the poll is idiotic?  Because the choice isn't "one or the other"?  Because I could have fun in both games?

Curse you AquaScum!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search