Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Albion Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,144 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,496
Red 5 Studios | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 07/09/13)  | Pub:Red 5 Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Firefall Forum » General Discussion » So, what exactly is Firefall?

7 posts found
  Rhoklaw

Hard Core Member

$500 Backer to 2014's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

OP  7/06/13 8:57:47 PM#1

When I first saw the game videos a while back, it looked like a cross between Borderlands and Global Agenda. After reading all the negativity, I'm still kind of confused why everyone's so disappointed.

I know Firefall is a TPS but does it have FPS elements as well?

Why is RPG so bad in an MMO? I think Planetside 2 is evident of what becomes of a strict MMOFPS.

Crafting dependent, item degradation mechanic sounds about right, so why are people whining about that?

Huge open world with possible future resource, territory control?

I'm just confused as to how these things = a bad game. Regardless, a few of my friends and I will be trying it out this weekend or come the 9th, whenever the official open beta starts.

Naowut

Novice Member

7/06/13 9:27:22 PM#2

Firefall itself doesn't even know what Firefall is, that's the problem.

You can't compare it to games like planetside because in Firefall the only thing you do is place your thumper and shoot mobs.

Here are a few more issues I have with the game.

Armor is based on class and doesn't change, ever.  

The male and the female character models are the worst I've ever seen. 

You're stripped from all your upgrades and gear in arena matches.

I'll deffinitly try it again when open world pvp and territory control etc is in but for now the game is about 5 horrible looking characters dancing around a thumper.

codeneko

Novice Member

7/07/13 3:58:50 PM#3

I'm one of those "whining" about durability.  I don't mind durability or permanent item loss in games... but together they simply punish you for every button/mouse click.  It's easier to just go play other games than knowingly hop on that hamster wheel.  

Here are some of my thoughts on the subject.

The rate of decay is too slow.

They want to force players into participation in an economy, but the rate of decay on items is so low that the item cost are stupidly cheap.  They are now, and will remain so. 

They indicated they need it to balance potentially over powered items that might get created and not have to nerf stats.  They nerfed the hell out of 77hps armors and didn't let them decay.  People will make mounds of overpowered gear to easily last for extensive amounts of gameplay due to the prior observation.  They will have to tweak stats and this argument is bullshit.

There just isn't anything of substance that is permanent to work for.  Cosmetics and toys are all redbeans.  What little you can buy with crystite is undesirables or commodity.  XP is stupid easy to obtain and anyone playing for even a short duration has it coming out their ears on several frames.

Fitting out multiple frames with multiple gear sets was where the fun was.  Their crafting system with the constraint loadouts was interesting and had depth.  With that effort being only temporary (think gear rentals in other f2p games) there just isn't any point.

I'll keep checking back, but they'll have to compensate for the lack of carrots with actual gameplay!  Which they sure as shit don't do now.

I can appreciate the river shader though... MWO crytek 3 has that too, water flowing in the proper direction.  Weapons taking on the frame paintjobs, etc.

In the meantime I've resub'd EVE and having a blast there as well as MWO shooting mechs.  Dropping 80 clams for a locust and battlemaster, cause.

Karahandras

Apprentice Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

7/07/13 5:46:56 PM#4
Originally posted by Naowut

You can't compare it to games like planetside because in Firefall the only thing you do is place your thumper and shoot mobs.

Armor is based on class and doesn't change, ever.  

The male and the female character models are the worst I've ever seen. 

You're stripped from all your upgrades and gear in arena matches.

I'll deffinitly try it again when open world pvp and territory control etc is in but for now the game is about 5 horrible looking characters dancing around a thumper.

Karahandras

Apprentice Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

7/07/13 6:07:04 PM#5
Originally posted by Rhoklaw

When I first saw the game videos a while back, it looked like a cross between Borderlands and Global Agenda. After reading all the negativity, I'm still kind of confused why everyone's so disappointed.  Think more along the lines of a so-so(although I'd say p*** poor fps at the moment) fps crossed with wow(but on a much smaller scale)

I know Firefall is a TPS but does it have FPS elements as well? Yes but doesn't seem to be very well done during this current build

Why is RPG so bad in an MMO? I think Planetside 2 is evident of what becomes of a strict MMOFPS.  There's no real rpg element to firefall anymore.

Crafting dependent, item degradation mechanic sounds about right, so why are people whining about that?usually, but in firefall don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to get those resources and add on the amount of time it takes to refine them to craft anything and because of the degredation this is a never ending cycle.  Add to that a poorly designed crafting interface that looks very cheap and still has no real explenations.

Huge open world with possible future resource, territory control?  Very small world(smaller than a planet of swg if you ever played that) and entire world would count as one zone anywhere else.  No territory control as such, but can switch between the two npc factions accord/chosen(players are on the side of accord).

I'm just confused as to how these things = a bad game. Regardless, a few of my friends and I will be trying it out this weekend or come the 9th, whenever the official open beta starts.  Sounds good on paper, not so good in practice.

Also don't underestimate the amount of grind you'll have to do in this game(even if you pay for the frames).  I worked out that playing a couple hours a day doing whatever rather than just group thumping9dropping a resource gatherer that spawns a mob)it would take me over 600 days to get the required xp to max out a frame, add to the the 250k or so crystite(ingame currency), add to that the same again in resources(which will also have to be refined before use) add to that the sin things u need near the end off the lines again requiring a **** load of crystite and resoureces plus a daft number of accord merits, I think it was 300 or 500(u get one of these for each mission you do) and this is not including crafted gear.    All of this doesn't get me any extra skills or anything anymore too.  Now you level three lines a segment at a time and you don't get anything for each segment at three points along these line you get a) a bit of an increase on firepower. b) a bit of an increase in speed and c) the ability to add more crafted gear.  All of these sound good, but after weeks of grinding you can fill in a couple of segments and get nothing for it.

edit: forgot to add that the last time I played you couldn't use carfted gear in pvp and i don't think the three bars count either, but they change thier minds so often with this game this info could very well be out of date.  I'm guessing it will play a part if they ever bring in open world pvp.

DamonVile

Elite Member

7/07/13 6:09:46 PM#6
Originally posted by Rhoklaw

When I first saw the game videos a while back, it looked like a cross between Borderlands and Global Agenda. After reading all the negativity, I'm still kind of confused why everyone's so disappointed.

I know Firefall is a TPS but does it have FPS elements as well?

Why is RPG so bad in an MMO? I think Planetside 2 is evident of what becomes of a strict MMOFPS.

Crafting dependent, item degradation mechanic sounds about right, so why are people whining about that?

Huge open world with possible future resource, territory control?

I'm just confused as to how these things = a bad game. Regardless, a few of my friends and I will be trying it out this weekend or come the 9th, whenever the official open beta starts.

If they had an mmo sized world with mmo sized content I'd love it too. As it is it was a cool demo copy of a game.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

7/07/13 6:32:05 PM#7
Originally posted by Naowut

You can't compare it to games like planetside because in Firefall the only thing you do is place your thumper and shoot mobs. its an mmo shooter like Defiance. Pve and PvE shooter. PlanetSide 2 is just a massive multiplayer CoD, but superior if you ask my personal opinion.

Armor is based on class and doesn't change, ever. Your armor is your class in Firefall. I do agree that the game needs to have different desings based on each battleframe so you dont look the same every time. make 10 different skins for each battleframe and ill be happy.

The male and the female character models are the worst I've ever seen. THis is just personal taste. It really needs more character customization, A LOT. But im ok on character design, as long as they offer a lot of choices (faces, eyes, mouth, color, nose, etc. Everyone looks the same and that sucks bad.

You're stripped from all your upgrades and gear in arena matches. i havent tried PvP in Firefall but i will say that if it requires player skill to win then i am ok with everyone being stripped to the same status. If they let you keep your epic awesome upgrades then it will be just another gear based mmo with no player skill at all.

I'll deffinitly try it again when open world pvp and territory control etc is in but for now the game is about 5 horrible looking characters dancing around a thumper. Im waiting for more stuff as well. THumpiing gets kinda boring after you try each difficulty a couple times. ARES misisons are a nice addition but right now its either too linear and easy, too short, or too simple (enter a cave, pick up an item, shoot some bulltes on your way out), they need to improve that content experience. ALso the chosen invasions are fun until you feel like grinding Horde mode on Gears Of War 2 (at least on GoW3 you could reinforce the stations with turrents and fences to help you with the invasions. Id love to see that in Firefall.

Firefall is a nice game and i like it, but it needs more content to keep people engaged a bit longer without feeling like a chore (thumping for resources and grinding chosen outside a station). They keep updating it which is great, but still needs more variety and a bit more meaningful content.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg