Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,845,337 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,038
Red 5 Studios | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 07/09/13)  | Pub:Red 5 Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Firefall Forum » General Discussion » Firefall vs Planetside 2

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
48 posts found
  Ren128

Novice Member

12/02/12 7:06:54 PM#21

I only tried Firefall for a while but it reminds me of Global Agenda but faster. Overall, my initial impression was good.

Jacoboss

Novice Member

12/02/12 7:11:46 PM#22
Originally posted by Vannor
They arn't even close to being the same type of game. Shouldn't be compared.

This!!

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/02/12 7:24:20 PM#23
Lol at "planetside 2 is the progeny of battlefield"

Planetside launched 10 years a go. It is the progeny of daoc & unreal tournament.
  Bossalinie

Apprentice Member

12/02/12 7:44:13 PM#24
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Lol at "planetside 2 is the progeny of battlefield"

Planetside launched 10 years a go. It is the progeny of daoc & unreal tournament.

I see nothing in common with doac other than three faction warfare, and if that's all you need to make a relation, then so be it. As for unreal tournamant, other than them both being FPS, the gameplay and style (twitch play vs modern shooter) doesn't even compare.

I use the Battlefield Series because it is the first FPS that I can remember, other than Battlezone ( which was only a deathmatch in multiplayer), which allowed the combined team oriented tactical assault of multiple soldier classes and multiple vehicle varients. I guess I could have used the Delta Forces series to match this style. Heck the Delta Force games had land, air, and sea engagements all in first person perspectives.

Point being...Planetside is a PVP shooter first, PvE RPG never, and should be compared to your tradional MMORPGs...you'll be disapppointed if you do.

davestr1zl

Apprentice Member

12/02/12 7:55:18 PM#25

If you want PVP, play Planetside.

If you want PVE, play Firefall.

If you want a bit of both then probably Firefall too as Planetside has no PVE whatsoever.

That being said - they're both free (when Firefall releases, or if you can get in BETA). So better yet, just play both of them.

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

12/02/12 10:09:11 PM#26
Originally posted by bossalinie
Originally posted by mmoguy43

Firefall PvE > Planetside 2's

Planetside 2's PvP > Firefall's

PS2 has no PvE. It is a multipler FPS at heart. It's more of a child prodigy of the  Battlefield series more so than any MMO

Player vs Environment in PS2 is fighting the terrain to navigate over it and the the fall damage. I didn't say it was good.

Let's build the ultimate MMO 1 feature at a time
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398555/page/1

Bossalinie

Apprentice Member

12/03/12 9:00:50 AM#27
@mmoguy43 touche, my man. I guess if you want to impose a self-made hard mode, walk everywhere...
  cylon8

Apprentice Member

12/03/12 9:06:23 AM#28

firefall still feels like vaporware in the sense that they don't seem very geared towards a release. theres been lawsuits and financial wrangling about the game they got desparate enough to recruit sci fi celebs to promote the game...where's all that $$$$ coming from what basically is an indie studio?  Ps2 is live and is a worth successor to the only true mmofps ever....hands down ps2 wins

so say we all

badhorse

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 11:38:47 AM#29
I would choose Firefall every time ... but I also think Planetside 2 is stupid so ......   If you want to run around fighting other players ALL the time then go Planetside 2 or any other shooter. If you want a fps that has more than just the zerg matches choose firefall.  Check it out on my stream if interested. http://www.twitch.tv/badh0rse I give out keys.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 12:19:19 PM#30
Planetside hands down

Firefall has gone the tupperware pvp route, do holds no interest for me.

I'm only buying mmos from now on that have either a comprehensive rvr system or a proper ffa pvp setup that is economy driven and police / bounty enforced
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/07/12 12:22:51 PM#31
Bossa
You might use battlefield as a reference, but planetside 1 is older.

It's not sonys fault you came to the large scale fps party late. Also ps2 is a mmo, bf isn't.

Calling ps2 a battlefield clone is like calling wow a lol clone.
  Tuchaka

Advanced Member

12/07/12 12:32:37 PM#32

i been in firefall beta since the first wave when it was pvp testing only ( nda dropped a long time ago ) A huge amount of what is being said about firefall online is false. The broadstrokes laid down by the OP were pretty accurate, but firefall is doing a lot of things that no game on the market currently is doing.  Also, in terms of pve there is still a ton more to do, the visual time line on their website shows beta at the mid-way point.  The first stages of the RTS elements of fighting the chosen have just been implemented. So i mean a huge amount of pve is not even in the game yet. They still have not decided on what form open world pvp will take, etc.   

So trying to judge a game that is out already, vs. a game that many of the final decissions have not even been made yet is kinda silly. Besides all that this is one of the few companies where they actually really listen to the fans and the CEO posts every day on the forums. Their is not going to be a AAA company funding this game so its gonna take time because its a small talented stuido. So in short the usuall hey this is a MMOFPS type terms don't always fit this game.

No one has ever made a online open world pve shooter that was ay good or was not highly instanced. They are breaking new ground.

if people really wanna understand what firefall is going for watch the extra credits video on staged content

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcEW5nyGI

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

12/07/12 12:35:00 PM#33

Not quite sure why they are compared. Just because a game has guns doesn't really mean they are the same. 

Firefall and Planetside 2 are just to different. I actually enjoy both games and both of them forfill me in vastly different ways from one another.

Phry

Elite Member

12/07/12 12:49:55 PM#34

PS2 has no PvE. It is a multipler FPS at heart. It's more of a child prodigy of the  Battlefield series more so than any MMO

Player vs Environment in PS2 is fighting the terrain to navigate over it and the the fall damage. I didn't say it was good.

seeing as Planetside was around a long time before the battlefield series was even a concept, its probably the other way around.  Planetside 2 is a sort of stripped down version of Planetside, simplified perhaps, but, it is a clear successor to Planetside,  well i use the 'successor' title a bit loosely as the original Planetside had far more functionality than Planetside 2, more vehicles, ground and air, and skills that had a great deal more 'depth' to them than the ones you find in Planetside 2. It is possible that the degree of 'simplification' inflicted on Planetside 2 was influenced by Battlefield 3 though, as the degree of Nerf from Planetside 1 to Planetside 2 is extremely high.

Vion1x

Novice Member

12/22/12 10:01:03 AM#35

Imo then this is like comparing BF3 with Quake.

Where planetside would be BF3, and Firefall would be Quake.

Dark-Asylum

Novice Member

12/29/12 12:54:14 AM#36
Originally posted by Phry

seeing as Planetside was around a long time before the battlefield series was even a concept, its probably the other way around.  Planetside 2 is a sort of stripped down version of Planetside, simplified perhaps, but, it is a clear successor to Planetside,  well i use the 'successor' title a bit loosely as the original Planetside had far more functionality than Planetside 2, more vehicles, ground and air, and skills that had a great deal more 'depth' to them than the ones you find in Planetside 2. It is possible that the degree of 'simplification' inflicted on Planetside 2 was influenced by Battlefield 3 though, as the degree of Nerf from Planetside 1 to Planetside 2 is extremely high.

well this is simply not true. battlefield 1942 came out well over a year before PS1 officially launched.

Alka_Setzer

Hard Core Member

1/04/13 7:59:20 PM#37

Not really a fair or even valid comparison, they are very, very different games.

Planetside 2 is ALL about open world, large scale PvP battles. Firefall is much more focused on PvE, exploration, lore, and story driven content (not much of it is currently in-game, but it's planned). It does have PvP in it and there are plans to add open world PvP but we are no where near that point currently. The plans for the Melding are very interesting to say the least. Right now in Firefall only 10 sqm are available to explore, in the end the entire world will be 1/10th the scale of earth so we are extremely far away from having a full world like Planetside 2 does.

If you like PvP and large scale battles, PS2 will probably be more your thing currently. If you like PvE content, having random fun with a small group of friends (events requiring larger amounts of people will be added later too though), lore, exploration, Firefall may be more to your liking.

Bossalinie

Apprentice Member

1/04/13 8:25:58 PM#38
Soooo many people convinced PS1 came out before Battlefield...
  ipeka

Novice Member

1/15/13 4:54:48 AM#39
who cares, as long they are better than COD , im satifsied enough.
  jimdandy26

Apprentice Member

1/15/13 5:08:42 AM#40
Originally posted by ipeka
who cares, as long they are better than COD , im satifsied enough.

Define "better". CoD is not really comparable to Firefall either. Firefall is more like Unreal Tournament and Tribes got together and had offspring with some rather nice pve thrown in.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search