Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,676 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,385
Red 5 Studios | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 07/09/13)  | Pub:Red 5 Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Firefall Forum » General Discussion » Is the game heavily instanced?

8 posts found
  Cakeisyummeh

Novice Member

OP  4/15/12 6:01:51 PM#1

Or is it one big seamless world?~

also hoping it avoids the pay to win trend. _.

ch0sen0ne

Novice Member

4/16/12 9:39:26 PM#2

PVE is one big open world where as pvp is instanced at the moment. They promise open world pvp later as the world expands.

Cash shop is all cosmetic items.

DarkVagabond

Hard Core Member

4/17/12 2:42:02 AM#3

The "Open World" right now is just a small chunk of what we will ultimately run around in and doesn't support too many people, so at this moment the instancing is pretty heavy.

As landmass increases and the server hardware can smoothly handle more of us scurrying in the same instance I expect the people per instance ratio to jump.

I also recall but cannot quote directly that you will be assigned to a regional server nearest you upon connection but have the choice to swap to those your friends are in should you join their party.

PVP is and will be for at least initial launch instanced arena fights only, so says Red5.

JohnCreed

Novice Member

4/18/12 7:49:30 AM#4
Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

PvP is just instanced arena's. PvE is a big world with multiple instances of that same world.

So yes, this is a heavily instanced game. Think "Age of Conan".

Braindome

Hard Core Member

4/20/12 8:36:17 PM#5
Originally posted by JohnCreed

PvP is just instanced arena's. PvE is a big world with multiple instances of that same world.

I'm sorry, but Age of Conan is a pretty terrible example and multiple instances is not the same as Age of Conan's areas were, there are no loading times between areas in Firefall, it is much more open . Yes it is a large open world, very large.

Also not only will you see people in PvE areas, but considering the difficulty you will team up with them to progress. It's a fairly seemless experience, very realistic world with gameplay that makes you want to group, it's fun.

JohnCreed

Novice Member

5/11/12 2:07:12 PM#6
Originally posted by Braindome
Originally posted by JohnCreed

I'm sorry, but Age of Conan is a pretty terrible example and multiple instances is not the same as Age of Conan's areas were, there are no loading times between areas in Firefall, it is much more open . Yes it is a large open world, very large.

Also not only will you see people in PvE areas, but considering the difficulty you will team up with them to progress. It's a fairly seemless experience, very realistic world with gameplay that makes you want to group, it's fun

You're confusing instances with zones. Age of Conan is heavily instanced AND the world is split into zones. Firefall might not be split into small zones but the world is still heavily instanced, just as instanced as Conan. Tera Online follows the same model. Basically you'll be fighting in an area and there will be 10-20 seperate instances of that same area, so there might be 400 players in a particular spot on the server but it's really just 50 players split into 10 instances. In AOC of Tera I found that to be disgusting and defeats the purpose of playing a FFA-PvP MMO but in Firefall since the open world is PvE the instances don't really bother me. I'll be playing it for the Arena-PvP anyway, the open world PvE is just a bonus.

taus01

Advanced Member

5/13/12 2:33:14 AM#7

Instanced into channels but no loading, it's one streaming huge world. PVP arenas are of cause instances.

Feel free to join my streaming channel below and ask for a preview of Firefall, I'll be glad to show you live.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Asheram

Hard Core Member

What happens when you get 5 stars do you get a cookie? ;)

5/13/12 3:05:44 AM#8