Trending Games | ArcheAge | Trove | WildStar | Forsaken Uprising

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,265 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,614
TECMO KOEI | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel Q4 2010)  | Pub:CJ Internet
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Uncharted Waters Online Forum » General Discussion » Pay to Win... welcome to UWO

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
81 posts found
  Pynda

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/20/04
Posts: 692

11/10/12 1:01:59 AM#61

A lot of the points have already been covered, so I'll just chime in here and say that UWO is the first MMORPG I've played since Star Wars Galaxies was released (or AC1 before that) where I lasted for more than about 1.5 months. I'm at 6 months in UWO now. But granted, probably nearing the end. Still, I guess that statistic is basically saying that UWO is the best MMORPG - according to my tastes- that I've played in the last ten years. And though I'm not really comfortable praising the game that highly, that does seem to be one possible conclusion.


I will elaborate on a comment one poster made - "...it took me forever to sail from Marseilles to East Africa". Okay, in my fastest ship "forever" would be about 30 minutes. And I actually find long voyages somewhat relaxing at times. I'll listen to music, or reduce the game to a window and web browse, or simultaneously play online poker etc. (but always while keeping an eye on the search feature for player pirates possibly being in my current zone). Some of us really do enjoy taking a break from nonstop action. But then again, others don't.


Another thing about UWO. You can't just sail willy-nilly to someplace like East Africa, and then expect to have content handed to you at every port. You have to use your brain, and go with a plan in mind. Like planning to trade specialty perfumes which are common on the East African coast. Or hit up the quest mediators in the city of Zanzibar (no NPC will tell you they are there, you have to know how to look this information up on fan websites or discover them yourself). Or plan to grind maritime skills in this area because you believe the NPC difficulty level might be appropriate for you here now. Or try to catch certain types of fish native to these waters to make a special food, etc.. UWO is not an on rails themepark. You have to learn how to chart your own course - excuse the pun - to get anything worthwhile accomplished.

  User Deleted
11/10/12 8:42:09 AM#62

Great game and pretty old school (which is a big plus in my book). Unfortunetely there has been a massive infestation of gold spammers lately and no easy way to filter them out. Putting them on ignore makes no sense, they are just too much. And switching to world chat (instead of "ALL) is also no solution since "ALL" includes some more or less important game messages (which are cluttered then by spam). The spammers even do it with "GM-colors" while netmarble apparently has no clue how to counteract which is not a good sign. At the end of the day it's probably the bane of all F2P titles with item shops...

P.S. netmarble is probably planning to offer a special item via cash shop to get rid of these spammers (*grin* hopefully nothing more than a bad joke)

  User Deleted
11/11/12 7:58:59 AM#63
Thanks for all the info about this game; will stay the hell away from this garbage now :)
  User Deleted
11/11/12 8:10:18 AM#64
Originally posted by Mr_C
Thanks for all the info about this game; will stay the hell away from this garbage now :)

Hope you haven't got me wrong, this "garbadge" is by far the best game I've played over the last years. And yes, even despite the gold spammers...

  Quizzical

Guide

Joined: 12/11/08
Posts: 13476

11/11/12 12:25:17 PM#65
Originally posted by picommander

Great game and pretty old school (which is a big plus in my book). Unfortunetely there has been a massive infestation of gold spammers lately and no easy way to filter them out. Putting them on ignore makes no sense, they are just too much. And switching to world chat (instead of "ALL) is also no solution since "ALL" includes some more or less important game messages (which are cluttered then by spam). The spammers even do it with "GM-colors" while netmarble apparently has no clue how to counteract which is not a good sign. At the end of the day it's probably the bane of all F2P titles with item shops...

P.S. netmarble is probably planning to offer a special item via cash shop to get rid of these spammers (*grin* hopefully nothing more than a bad joke)

The gold spammers aren't new.  They're bots that use the search function in towns to find player names, and then send whispers to the players they find with the gold spam messages.  Once your name is on their list, that bot will keep spamming you even after you leave town.

You can block that by turning on private status when you're in capital cities (i.e., turn it on before you enter the city, and leave it on until after you leave), so that you won't appear in their searches.  That way, they won't be able to find you and put you on the list of people who are online to spam.

  Pynda

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/20/04
Posts: 692

11/12/12 10:04:14 PM#66


Originally posted by Mr_C
Thanks for all the info about this game; will stay the hell away from this garbage now :)


If that's the gist you've taken away from all these posts, then you must be a themepark type player (or maybe you like FPS). If you want a free game maybe you should try something like Lord of the Rings Online or Star Wars TOR.

  Vetarnias

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/13/08
Posts: 631

11/20/12 2:15:33 PM#67
Originally posted by Pynda

I will elaborate on a comment one poster made - "...it took me forever to sail from Marseilles to East Africa". Okay, in my fastest ship "forever" would be about 30 minutes. And I actually find long voyages somewhat relaxing at times. I'll listen to music, or reduce the game to a window and web browse, or simultaneously play online poker etc. (but always while keeping an eye on the search feature for player pirates possibly being in my current zone). Some of us really do enjoy taking a break from nonstop action. But then again, others don't.


Another thing about UWO. You can't just sail willy-nilly to someplace like East Africa, and then expect to have content handed to you at every port. You have to use your brain, and go with a plan in mind. Like planning to trade specialty perfumes which are common on the East African coast. Or hit up the quest mediators in the city of Zanzibar (no NPC will tell you they are there, you have to know how to look this information up on fan websites or discover them yourself). Or plan to grind maritime skills in this area because you believe the NPC difficulty level might be appropriate for you here now. Or try to catch certain types of fish native to these waters to make a special food, etc.. UWO is not an on rails themepark. You have to learn how to chart your own course - excuse the pun - to get anything worthwhile accomplished.

 

I know, I've played the game for something like six months from November 2010 to May of last year. I did a lot of trading, and I used to go to Eastern Africa every few days. I noticed that when I last logged in, most of Southeast Africa was French; this was the policy which our company was the first to undertake, while the rest of the French were all about trying to keep Genoa, something we knew was futile in those days (which may no longer be true as of writing). And what experience told me is that none of this mattered in the least; this is a game that gives you an illusion of depth, but would rather have you do the same repetitive actions over and over again. Also not helping was Netmarble screwing up with the cash shop, especially when it added bonds that made game-earned investments pointless. (If you want more details, you're free to look up my "Modest Review" posted here.) UWO was a great atmospheric game, but the design was lacking -- just another Asian grinder.
  MMOGamer71

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/12/07
Posts: 1560

11/20/12 2:16:52 PM#68
Originally posted by WishMeister

To be briefe on this one...all cash shops should be like LOTRO, as it dosnt imbalance the game what so ever ;)

^.

  cagan

Novice Member

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 274

 
OP  11/23/12 2:04:16 PM#69

Vetarnias got it right, it is just another good game gone bad by horrible developers. Its grindy, cash shop compares with star trek online.

By all means play a couplle months if you enjoy the game but you will see when you reach max lvl that you NEED those cash shop items. (trade gets old and only fun thing to do is being pirate).

I uninstalled myself and never coming back after the gpotato takeover.  More cash shop ships, super duper items etc etc..

It really loses its charm and the illusion of being a sandboxy game after a while....

  Quizzical

Guide

Joined: 12/11/08
Posts: 13476

11/24/12 12:26:49 AM#70
Originally posted by cagan

Vetarnias got it right, it is just another good game gone bad by horrible developers. Its grindy, cash shop compares with star trek online.

By all means play a couplle months if you enjoy the game but you will see when you reach max lvl that you NEED those cash shop items. (trade gets old and only fun thing to do is being pirate).

No, the business model isn't comparable to STO at all.  STO is a subscription game with a fairly generous free trial.  UWO is free to play with an item mall--and no subscription option.

Which max level did you reach, again?  Because I'm guessing that you didn't do much adventuring.  Relatively few hit the cap of 65 in adventuring before El Oriente, and I don't think anyone has hit the new cap of 70 yet.

  Murashu

Novice Member

Joined: 6/23/06
Posts: 1397

1/06/13 10:48:54 PM#71
Originally posted by cagan

Vetarnias got it right, it is just another good game gone bad by horrible developers. Its grindy, cash shop compares with star trek online.

By all means play a couplle months if you enjoy the game but you will see when you reach max lvl that you NEED those cash shop items. (trade gets old and only fun thing to do is being pirate).

I uninstalled myself and never coming back after the gpotato takeover.  More cash shop ships, super duper items etc etc..

It really loses its charm and the illusion of being a sandboxy game after a while....

There is nothing in the cashshop that you need to reach the highest levels in UWO or to be a great pirate. The highest notoriety pirate on the server plays for free. Yes you can buy ships that are slightly better than player made ships by using the cash shop, but you can also buy those ships with the in-game currency.

 

UWO is far from perfect, but there is nothing in game that you must spend cash on to be competitive and win. The biggest benefit the cash shop ships give you is they allow you to sail higher level ships with lower level requirements.

www.agonysend.org

  DamonVile

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/22/05
Posts: 4879

1/06/13 11:00:25 PM#72
People really should look at the cash shops in these games before they invest any time in it. If it's selling items that give direct advantages to people who spend money....that should be your que to leave and never look back.
  cagan

Novice Member

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 274

 
OP  1/08/13 8:26:58 PM#73
Originally posted by Murashu

UWO is far from perfect, but there is nothing in game that you must spend cash on to be competitive and win. The biggest benefit the cash shop ships give you is they allow you to sail higher level ships with lower level requirements.

an old event from when I left the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/08/hoist-the-mainsail-uncharted-waters-online-launches-world-race-challenge

pay to win:

http://uwo.netmarble.com/item/itemDetail.asp?idx=15&sKey1=4&sKey2=1&sKey3=&sKey4=

and back in the day it wasnt 30% , it wass like 50%, they also had the teleport to port scrolls, good times...

 

  Quizzical

Guide

Joined: 12/11/08
Posts: 13476

1/12/13 11:21:51 PM#74
Originally posted by cagan
Originally posted by Murashu

UWO is far from perfect, but there is nothing in game that you must spend cash on to be competitive and win. The biggest benefit the cash shop ships give you is they allow you to sail higher level ships with lower level requirements.

an old event from when I left the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/08/hoist-the-mainsail-uncharted-waters-online-launches-world-race-challenge

pay to win:

http://uwo.netmarble.com/item/itemDetail.asp?idx=15&sKey1=4&sKey2=1&sKey3=&sKey4=

and back in the day it wasnt 30% , it wass like 50%, they also had the teleport to port scrolls, good times...

 

Pay to win a particular event that most of the playerbase ignores.

They actually still have routine races from this port to that, and most of the playerbase still ignores them.  Having the races is harmless, really, as they're easily ignored.

  Quizzical

Guide

Joined: 12/11/08
Posts: 13476

1/12/13 11:23:50 PM#75
Originally posted by DamonVile
People really should look at the cash shops in these games before they invest any time in it. If it's selling items that give direct advantages to people who spend money....that should be your que to leave and never look back.

It depends on what the advantages are.  If someone can kill you at will because he bought a super sword from the item mall, then yeah, that's a problem.  If someone gets double experience points because he bought something from the item mall, so what?  Is that any worse than someone leveling faster because he hired a powerleveling company to play the game for him, which can be done even if there is no item mall at all?  Though the latter can often be a sign that a game is too grindy if you don't buy the item mall leveling boosts.

  ihateuimeanit

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/12
Posts: 9

2/16/13 3:36:39 AM#76

Sigh... why did I even protect this game before? -__-"

And uhuh P2W game wooo...

  cagan

Novice Member

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 274

 
OP  3/01/13 5:04:39 PM#77

guess what I just dropped $100 on planetside cause the cash shop doesnt let me Pay2Win. I am just getting more xp and some unlocks, got some skins, that does make my character look cool and thats it.

Its not like "oh, someone is about to shoot me, let me use this cash shop invincibility item or click on my double speed run so I can cap the base before anyone" like UWO

Good thing I saw this coming long time ago...the greed killed the game. I spent hundreds of dollars on other games and 0 on this game. I had hopes, I had dreams but thanx to Gpotato and Netmarble now they are gone. I hope the server closes and some other person gets the rights from KOEI and releases it again...with MORALS and NO GREED this time, then the comunity will flourish and it will become a small but fun game...

 

(sad and funny  how people do dungeons and no sailing in a sailing game cause of the imbalance....)

  itchmon

Elite Member

Joined: 1/21/07
Posts: 1560

3/01/13 5:11:39 PM#78

this game (along with atlantica) i WISH were subscription games, because at their core they are really super games.  but then someone comes along with a spatula full of item mall crap and puts the ugly smear across the game's surface....

 

i et they'd make a LOT of money if the UWO folks opened up a no item mall, 10bucks a month required server.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

  cagan

Novice Member

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 274

 
OP  3/02/13 11:11:36 AM#79

Think of these people as little time scammers. Lets buy the rights to this title, get some crowd in. Then sell anything we can before the game collapses.

A good example is the latest event where they sell items that can 1 shot (around 400-500 damage) any ship. Maybe 2-3 shot huge well armored ships. Still, you get my point. This is probably what happened:

Gpotato/netmarble: We are not making a lot of money lately, lets sell these items where it makes the game total P2Win.

but sir, some players will be upset and leave the server...

Gpotato/netmarble: who cares, release the kraken!!!!

(players leave the server, large protest begin...)

Gpotato/netmarble: We are sorry for releasing such unfair items, we will get them off the item shop in a little while, so buy while you still can!!!

Players: YAY! they listened to us, they will not sell these items in the cash shop after a few days when their pockets are full and the pvp is totally ruined....

Whats funny is game rating going higher and higher on this site.... I wonder who is voting?

 

  Quizzical

Guide

Joined: 12/11/08
Posts: 13476

3/04/13 12:00:13 AM#80
Originally posted by cagan

Its not like "oh, someone is about to shoot me, let me use this cash shop invincibility item or click on my double speed run so I can cap the base before anyone" like UWO

Double speed run to cap the base?  UWO has bases to cap?  What are you talking about?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search