Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,760 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,360
Wargaming.net | Play Now
MMOTPS | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 04/12/11)  | Pub:Wargaming.net
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

World of Tanks Forum » General Discussion » Do yourself a favour and avoid this game at all costs!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
44 posts found
  Cirran

Novice Member

6/10/13 3:31:09 AM#41

World of Tanks needs a much better tutorial, at the moment it does not answer any questions past drive here, shoot this. Most, not all, but most Unicom's, only  play certain tanks and only in platoons. A new player will be trolled by experienced players playing in low tier games. The in game information is severely lacking. I.E. it does a really bad job explaining what tanks are scout tanks and what their role is. If the new player takes a moment to go to the forum and look up information. They will find it to be a cesspool of vileness, centered on "I am better then you and you have to play the way I want you to or I will troll you", and that is putting it mildly. Moderators are inconsistent on rule enforcement on the forums. If the new player decides to ask for some help or information. They need to be very careful how they ask their question or make their request.  All in all, WoT is a ok game. It suffers from the usual issues of online games. Major disconnect between the Devs and the players. WoT has three servers, Russian, Europe, and North America. the Rus server is the largest per population but they make the least per person money wise. Eu is the second largest and comes in the middle money wise, the NA server is the smallest. It rarely breaks 30k people and that is during 5x exp events, but they make the most per person money wise. All tank balancing issues are made based on the RU server. The Devs act like typical old soviet block business men. They do as they like and the player/customer can take a flying leap. MM is better then it was in the past BUT don't expect anything approaching what you can call fair. The MM is NOT based on skill, so new folks can and will play against seasoned veterans. War Gaming calls this fair, after all you cant have fun fighting someone who is near your skill level. Skill is something to be rewarded, by letting troll platoons (I.E. Unicom IS 6 platoons) face off against folks who have no way to communicate except for typing.

TL:DR Typical wargame video game. Niche game with a TON of unexploited possibilities, due to the disconnect between eastern Devs and Western players.

Cirran 

Edit: I forgot about the Sea server. Even smaller population then the NA server.

Dihoru

Elite Member

6/10/13 4:01:09 AM#42
Originally posted by Cirran

World of Tanks needs a much better tutorial, at the moment it does not answer any questions past drive here, shoot this. Most, not all, but most Unicom's, only  play certain tanks and only in platoons. A new player will be trolled by experienced players playing in low tier games. The in game information is severely lacking. I.E. it does a really bad job explaining what tanks are scout tanks and what their role is. If the new player takes a moment to go to the forum and look up information. They will find it to be a cesspool of vileness, centered on "I am better then you and you have to play the way I want you to or I will troll you", and that is putting it mildly. Moderators are inconsistent on rule enforcement on the forums. If the new player decides to ask for some help or information. They need to be very careful how they ask their question or make their request.  All in all, WoT is a ok game. It suffers from the usual issues of online games. Major disconnect between the Devs and the players. WoT has three servers, Russian, Europe, and North America. the Rus server is the largest per population but they make the least per person money wise. Eu is the second largest and comes in the middle money wise, the NA server is the smallest. It rarely breaks 30k people and that is during 5x exp events, but they make the most per person money wise. All tank balancing issues are made based on the RU server. The Devs act like typical old soviet block business men. They do as they like and the player/customer can take a flying leap. MM is better then it was in the past BUT don't expect anything approaching what you can call fair. The MM is NOT based on skill, so new folks can and will play against seasoned veterans. War Gaming calls this fair, after all you cant have fun fighting someone who is near your skill level. Skill is something to be rewarded, by letting troll platoons (I.E. Unicom IS 6 platoons) face off against folks who have no way to communicate except for typing.

TL:DR Typical wargame video game. Niche game with a TON of unexploited possibilities, due to the disconnect between eastern Devs and Western players.

Cirran 

Edit: I forgot about the Sea server. Even smaller population then the NA server.

1. Russia is a western country, the capital is in eastern Europe.

2. 60 mil registered accounts and a recent forced split on the EU server into two shards because too many people on at the same time. Kind of shoots holes in your Niche game idea.

3. If you want a wargame video game go Warthunder, World of Tanks is an arcade game, a good to great one but an arcade game nonetheless. I gave up on it a few weeks back when I saw Warthunder's first tank screenshots and I am dearly hoping it will have a more realistic damage model than World of Tanks.

4. Even new players should know which sides of the tank give you a better chance at penetrating the armour and as for skill based MM... I  think it's more based on stats (efficiency rating and win rating) than you think, you'll never see people with under 30% win ratings and that's with good reason (the MM automatically labels you as a special case and starts making sure you're put in teams with slightly more competent players or against teams with equally as bad players).

Cirran

Novice Member

6/11/13 1:36:13 AM#43
Originally posted by Dihoru
Originally posted by Cirran

Cirran 

1. Russia is a western country, the capital is in eastern Europe.

2. 60 mil registered accounts and a recent forced split on the EU server into two shards because too many people on at the same time. Kind of shoots holes in your Niche game idea.

3. If you want a wargame video game go Warthunder, World of Tanks is an arcade game, a good to great one but an arcade game nonetheless. I gave up on it a few weeks back when I saw Warthunder's first tank screenshots and I am dearly hoping it will have a more realistic damage model than World of Tanks.

4. Even new players should know which sides of the tank give you a better chance at penetrating the armour and as for skill based MM... I  think it's more based on stats (efficiency rating and win rating) than you think, you'll never see people with under 30% win ratings and that's with good reason (the MM automatically labels you as a special case and starts making sure you're put in teams with slightly more competent players or against teams with equally as bad players).

LOL, well I guess it just depends on your point of view. As always everyone's opinion is their fact, and all are valid.

1. See above.

2. I was quoting their own figures as they were released on the NA forums. As for niche, I stand by that. It would be much more popular if WG would take the time to figure out what a Western audience wants in a game. They have already come out and stated they will stay the course.  Oh well it is their loss in revenue.

3. I will take a look at warthunder when it is released and stable.

4. You seriously think that new players will know how to flank by use of terrain, cover and their teammates as a distraction?? The Tutorial just states drive here shoot here. It has one moving tank that is at close range and goes back and forth in a straight line. Very little help to a new person beyond the very basics of controls. WG has stated repeatedly that they will NOT use a skill based MM. Serb (everyone's favorite Dev Troll) has gone on record saying the fact of throwing low skill folks in against troll platoons (Unicom IS6 platoons for example) is working as intended.

cptndunsel

Advanced Member

6/23/13 1:02:30 AM#44

a major issue in the game is match-maker. WG will tell you its fine, working as intended, that matches can't be exactly even but that the engine will create a match that is as close to even as possible.

The problem is - that's a line. The algorithm used does not take certain factors into account which have a dramatic impact on the match. Things like whether a tank is stock or not, what % training the crew has, and the experience and record of the player.

Fortunately there are mods that give you a better diagnostic look at a match (see curse.com).

Just in the last few days I have been on a team with a 93% chance of a win (and we won easily) and a 90% chance of a loss (and we got stomped). This from a match maker that says the match is fine.

The reality is - you never know what the %$#@ you are going to get match to match, and this can result in long losing streaks (and supposedly winning streaks as well but I've never had one) that defy statistical odds.

Platooning has a dramatic impact on all of this as well, and match maker fails to account for that either.

So don't let WG tell you all is well, or that you can't use XVM mods etc. The truth is out there. Match making is broken, so let the player beware.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search