Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,997 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,074,669
Aerrevan (AER)
CubeForce Media | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 2011)  | Pub:CubeForce Media
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Aerrevan Forum » General Discussion » Developer Speaks out against PvP Guild

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
106 posts found
  Vagrant_Zero

Novice Member

6/04/10 3:09:18 AM#61

Originally posted by Ashlura
Its only the people attempting to fight for carebear land that are arguing the points for the developers.
We arent griefers. I just wont kick people from the Guild because they choose to do it. We dont run Corpse Camping events, but I can tell you, the best way to start a fight is to mess with people. This is when they call in the troops.

Why look for a fight, when you can bring one to you?

It's simple gaming. For those that say you have played this and that, obviously you have stuck with the lighter side of things in those games. You gank, to inspire others Guildies to come fight for their people. This is how you get Guild vs Guild in World PvP. Deal with it.

My post here wasnt meant for drama, it was meant to spread the word. There arent many RPrs left in the World. I havent even played the game yet, but based off of what the dev said to me, yeah, the game will fail. I will resurrect this post later when it does ;) To meet todays needs, you HAVE to meet the needs of all player types. 

Gaming, Griefing, Corpse Camping = All is fair in love and war.

Hate me all you want, but without me, the world is boring. Without threat from another player coming around the corner the game feels dull. Without someone to get your adrenaline pumping, the game will lose its luster. If all you want is a safe haven, you might as well play a console game. Just saying.

What's funny is that everyone that responded here is over there too. :D No one else even gives a shit. But when the games FAQ catches their eye like it did mine, then they will see my post and:
1) Play it just to make your lives a living hell
2) Not play it which brings no revenue to the developers which eventually leads to shutting down the project :D

Good luck

Since you seem to be such a "hardcore" pvper why don't you join the Marines and see some real PvP?

Seffren

Novice Member

It's ok.

6/04/10 4:04:41 AM#62
Its only the people attempting to fight for carebear land that are arguing the points for the developers.
We arent griefers. I just wont kick people from the Guild because they choose to do it. We dont run Corpse Camping events, but I can tell you, the best way to start a fight is to mess with people. This is when they call in the troops.

It's simple gaming. For those that say you have played this and that, obviously you have stuck with the lighter side of things in those games. You gank, to inspire others Guildies to come fight for their people. This is how you get Guild vs Guild in World PvP. Deal with it.

My post here wasnt meant for drama, it was meant to spread the word. There arent many RPrs left in the World. I havent even played the game yet, but based off of what the dev said to me, yeah, the game will fail. I will resurrect this post later when it does ;) To meet todays needs, you HAVE to meet the needs of all player types. 

Hate me all you want, but without me, the world is boring. Without threat from another player coming around the corner the game feels dull. Without someone to get your adrenaline pumping, the game will lose its luster. If all you want is a safe haven, you might as well play a console game. Just saying.

What's funny is that everyone that responded here is over there too. :D No one else even gives a shit. But when the games FAQ catches their eye like it did mine, then they will see my post and:
2) Not play it which brings no revenue to the developers which eventually leads to shutting down the project :D

Good luck

Developers don't have to do didly squad! At least they shouldn't.

It's their game, if they don't want to cater to every single player's needs that is  their perogative.

It is expectations like these (and devs who try to conform to it) that have caused the downfall of mmo's today.

All mmo's are the same bland experience because they try to please everyone. (I know a serious generalization, there are exceptions).

I suggest you go play MO, full of pvp lovers there, and it is completely catered to your needs (if it will reach it's full potential that is).  But ofcourse there won't be any "carebears" you can gank out of some idealistic reason, so it will probably be a boring world.

I.

shadze

Novice Member

6/04/10 5:43:13 AM#63
Originally posted by Seffren

Good luck

Developers don't have to do didly squad! At least they shouldn't.

It's their game, if they don't want to cater to every single player's needs that is  their perogative.

It is expectations like these (and devs who try to conform to it) that have caused the downfall of mmo's today.

All mmo's are the same bland experience because they try to please everyone. (I know a serious generalization, there are exceptions).

I suggest you go play MO, full of pvp lovers there, and it is completely catered to your needs (if it will reach it's full potential that is).  But ofcourse there won't be any "carebears" you can gank out of some idealistic reason, so it will probably be a boring world.

IActually I doubt it would be boring. It would be a great world. Im not really suprised thier are games that havent got the sort of views you have. Any that did couldnt afford to support itself as it is carebears who actually pay for the game.

Orphes

Hard Core Member

You make, you buy, you die!

6/04/10 6:13:53 AM#64
Originally posted by CubeForce
The PM referenced at the start of this thread was sent when a post was removed from this guilds recruitment thread. The post was removed because Ashlura (mmorpg.com username) had lashed out at a number of our community members who did not agree with the guild ideologies. The post was in violation of many forum rules and used very strong language. The recruitment thread was not removed and the admin did not tell them their guild was unwelcome. He simply stated that the response our community was giving him was to be expected considering Aerrevans target audience and he should refrain from lashing out at people who disagree with him in such an extreme manner. Ashlura then decided to withdraw his guild recruitment thread and seems to now believe the developers of Aerrevan are against PvP guilds. PvP is a central component of Aerrevan, we have a number of features designed purely for the PvP market. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and maybe Aerrevan is not right for a greifer guild, but that does not mean that we are anti-pvp. Such a claim is very clearly not based on factual information, but rather the emotions of this community member. If anyone has any further questions regarding our stance on PvP, please feel free to ask them, I will be watching this thread.

CubeForce Media - Aerrevan Development Team

This is nice and a breath of fresh air. And you also got me more interested in this game due to this willingness to show right and wrong.

(As for the OP your agenda was quite obvious from your post.)

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

Gadareth

Hard Core Member

6/15/10 4:36:01 PM#65

Its a simple concept really PVP in a roleplaying setting needs a purpose. If you want to avoid gankers and griefing then you need to incoporate reasons for PVPers to meet and have conflicts. Perhaps contestable areas which when held grant bonuses to an alliance. Capturable resources or fortifications. Maybe castles near certain towns which when captured means that members of the alliance holding the castle are  granted discounts at the stores in town and bonuses to quest awards. Whilst those of the opposite alliance gan penalties. (neutrals get neither benefits or penalties).

Personally I have never seen the point of PVP for the sake of PVP. Its not hardcore to kill someone for the 10th time as he resses in his graveyard. It IS hardcore to hold the castle against overwheling odds. It is EPIC to have a pitched battle over a valuable resource each side trying to hold it long enough for their miners to mine the resource.

PVP with a purpose can be fun and rewarding for all, even those who normally would avoid it would be tempted to join in. PvP without purpose has no meaning and usually degenerates rapidly into a griefest.

just my observations

Gadareth

MacDeath

Novice Member

6/15/10 10:20:06 PM#66
Originally posted by Gadareth

Its a simple concept really PVP in a roleplaying setting needs a purpose. If you want to avoid gankers and griefing then you need to incoporate reasons for PVPers to meet and have conflicts. Perhaps contestable areas which when held grant bonuses to an alliance. Capturable resources or fortifications. Maybe castles near certain towns which when captured means that members of the alliance holding the castle are  granted discounts at the stores in town and bonuses to quest awards. Whilst those of the opposite alliance gan penalties. (neutrals get neither benefits or penalties).

Personally I have never seen the point of PVP for the sake of PVP. Its not hardcore to kill someone for the 10th time as he resses in his graveyard. It IS hardcore to hold the castle against overwheling odds. It is EPIC to have a pitched battle over a valuable resource each side trying to hold it long enough for their miners to mine the resource.

PVP with a purpose can be fun and rewarding for all, even those who normally would avoid it would be tempted to join in. PvP without purpose has no meaning and usually degenerates rapidly into a griefest.

just my observations

Gadareth

Aerrevan has just such a system. Alliances fight to control cities and gain benefits while holding them.

MacDeath

Gadareth

Hard Core Member

6/16/10 7:57:54 AM#67
Originally posted by MacDeath

just my observations

Gadareth

Aerrevan has just such a system. Alliances fight to control cities and gain benefits while holding them.

Gadareth

Hard Core Member

6/16/10 7:59:53 AM#68

Exactly so there is really no point in graveyeard camping and other griefing activities. Keep the PvP to meaningful and concensial activities.

Gadareth

Ceridith

Novice Member

The more you hype an upcoming game in your mind, the more it will fail to meet your expectations.

6/16/10 9:45:35 AM#69

Exactly so there is really no point in graveyeard camping and other griefing activities. Keep the PvP to meaningful and concensial activities.

Gadareth

That's part of the problem though. The only incentive PvP griefers have ever needed, is the belief that their actions are causing distress to other players. Even if you have meaningful objectives in PvP, you will still get some players who think it's funny to abuse the PvP game mechanics to harass other players. This can even occur when there is 'consentual PvP', where some players go out of their way to try to trick players into fighting when they didn't mean to.

Unfortunately, no matter what game mechanics you set up, there will always be people who try to skirt around them to cause problems. This even applies in real life, with people acting with gross dishonesty or negligence that is technically within the law, but is knowingly morally abhorrent. That's why we rely on judicial systems to use their best judgement in dealing with people who cause problems. This is why the developer's attitude is good, because they've made a decision about what they want to allow in the game with regards to PvP, and are being proactive about it.

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

6/26/10 12:46:02 AM#70

Good luck

Thanks for clearing that up. You have just demonstrated why the Dev's had concerns about the impact your guild might have.  Its quite refreshing to see Dev's take a public stance against that type of behavior.  Before you bother with names, look at my avatar... Case closed.

Madimorga

Apprentice Member

6/26/10 10:56:29 AM#71
Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Good luck

Since you seem to be such a "hardcore" pvper why don't you join the Marines and see some real PvP?

That's the last thing the Marines need.  This guy would probably shoot toddlers in hopes the parents would show up with uzis to start a real fight.

I feel sorry for game developers, I do.  The community is it, when it goes bad, the game dies off, and how much control do the developers really have over what their community starts out as or turns into?  Very little, and the less restrictive the game world, the less control they have. 

This game does look interesting though, and I'm adding it to my 'to try' list.  Let's hope the griefers are in a minority and stay that way.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

MacDeath

Novice Member

6/27/10 12:06:38 AM#72

I'm a former Marine and a beta tester. We won't have a griefer problem during beta.

MacDeath

Madimorga

Apprentice Member

6/27/10 12:11:51 AM#73

I'm a former Marine and a beta tester. We won't have a griefer problem during beta.

Insofar as griefers go, I recommend a 'kill them all' policy.  (Bonus points for screenshots.) 

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

MacDeath

Novice Member

6/27/10 2:27:08 AM#74
Originally posted by Madimorga

Insofar as griefers go, I recommend a 'kill them all' policy.  (Bonus points for screenshots.) 

Sorry, can't post screenshots here. Against the beta rules.

MacDeath

Laurie816

Apprentice Member

7/21/10 5:38:42 PM#75

Good luck

I love hardcore open world PVP and I tottaly agree anything goes. Especially at end game after you've gained max lvl and equips whats left but to kill people? To many care bears here tbh, go play a real open world PVP game and see how long you really last people...I hope tera will be hardcore PVP I used to play conquer online before they screwed that game up. It was epic pvp battles little to no content really just cut throat politics the way I like it. Gotta fight your way to the top!

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

7/21/10 7:37:34 PM#76
Originally posted by Laurie816

Good luck

I love hardcore open world PVP and I tottaly agree anything goes. Especially at end game after you've gained max lvl and equips whats left but to kill people? To many care bears here tbh, go play a real open world PVP game and see how long you really last people...I hope tera will be hardcore PVP I used to play conquer online before they screwed that game up. It was epic pvp battles little to no content really just cut throat politics the way I like it. Gotta fight your way to the top!

That approach has been tried...Over and over. It doesn't do all that well in the current western markets. Games that allow ganking or griefing automatically niche themselves in the western markets. Given the time, talent and money it takes to develop one of these games, why would Dev's not wish it to attract the widest possible audience?  Like it or not, there are a lot more CareBears in the west, than there are PvP types.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

7/22/10 5:51:03 PM#77
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by Laurie816

Good luck

That approach has been tried...Over and over. It doesn't do all that well in the current western markets. Games that allow ganking or griefing automatically niche themselves in the western markets. Given the time, talent and money it takes to develop one of these games, why would Dev's not wish it to attract the widest possible audience?  Like it or not, there are a lot more CareBears in the west, than there are PvP types.

There are more anti-PKs than PKs in the West. They are all PvPers. Many people are both Carebears and PvPers. The dividing lines are so blurry as to be nonexistant except  for people at either extreme. So yes to be widely successful a game needs to be both.

"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." ~Greys Law

bloodjuice

Novice Member

7/22/10 6:08:45 PM#78

There is  HUGE difference in "pk"  and "pvp"

Western games go around more of a "pvp" type game where it is mutual, or you are in a zone meant for pvp.

Pking is usually comprised of "ganking"    Which involves ONE party who is only out to 1-get infamy  2-harass players 3-ruin another players quest  

Ganking is the lowest form of pvp in ANY game, ganking requires no skill and if a whole guild is ganking people to STOP them from leveling up in a area,  is complete crap.

sltrhouseking Xfire Miniprofile
  zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

7/22/10 6:43:52 PM#79
Originally posted by bloodjuice

There is  HUGE difference in "pk"  and "pvp"

Ganking is the lowest form of pvp in ANY game,

Since gankng (Player Kiling) is the "lowest form of PvP" it is PvP and can't be hugely different from PvP. PvP cover's a huge spectrum including some forms of PvP that do not involve combat.

"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." ~Greys Law

bloodjuice

Novice Member

7/22/10 7:32:22 PM#80

player vs player is when 2 people are fighting each other,  Ganking is when 1 person is attacking someone who is not ready to attack back.  

And whats so wrong with an mmoRPG wanting the ROLEPLAYING to be above the pvp?   Might as well call other mmorpgs that are soley pvp, mmopvp.   

Ganking has no roleplay value in it, and if a game wants the game to be more roleplay then pvp, let them do their thing.   I dont see what the OP was doing here other than trollin.

sltrhouseking Xfire Miniprofile
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search