Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,788 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,225,955
DUST 514 (D514)
CCP Games | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/14/13)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

DUST 514 Forum » General Discussion » The fact this is not on PC is [mod edit]

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
28 posts found
  skamper

Novice Member

OP  8/13/12 6:01:34 AM#1

The main original player base (EVE) is on PC

Emerging Free to Play market is PC (Planetside2, Firefall, etc)

Next gen Consoles likely to be announced soon

Mouse and keyboard mixed with controller - can't wait to hear the crying

If they just released this on PC it would garner attention toward Eve and people would be more likely to play both because one is F2P. But since they went console for some reason, the pc only people on eve probably won't even touch it. I seriously can't understand why they went for ps3 of all things.

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

8/13/12 6:15:52 AM#2

They just added keyboard and mouse support to the game.

I have a feeling these guys know they wont do well on PS3 and have a plan to quickly port it to PC.

One of the main reasons they gave for not having a pc version was the domination of mouse & keyboard users vs controller users.  

That argument makes no sense now that the PS3 version also has mouse and keyboard support.

Expect to see Dust 514 on PC three to six months after release.

Playing: None

Waiting on: None

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:23:09 AM#3

1) "The original players base" is:

- only 360k people
- not particularly interested in FPS

2) "Emerging Free to Play market" - uh, oh...so what?

3) Because dated PC HW can run latest FSP games just fine...

- announce and release can still be some years difference
- that is a part of the business, PC or consoles

4) Do you have any more details how this will work? Apart from "Dust will support KB+M" quote?

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:27:13 AM#4

Originally posted by Z3R01

I have a feeling these guys know they wont do well on PS3 and have a plan to quickly port it to PC.

One of the main reasons they gave for not having a pc version was the domination of mouse & keyboard users vs controller users.  

That argument makes no sense now that the PS3 version also has mouse and keyboard support.

The thing is, you can play any game on PS3 with KB+M adapter, which makes your point rather moot...

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

8/13/12 6:32:01 AM#5
Originally posted by Gdemami

The thing is, you can play any game on PS3 with KB+M adapter, which makes your point rather moot...

Dust didn't have mouse and keyboard support up until very recently. So no it isn't moot. 

User Deleted
8/13/12 6:32:03 AM#6
Learn to accept change. Everything can't be for the pc all the time. Excluding WoW, the vast majority of pc mmos fail anyway.
  Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:36:03 AM#7

Dust didn't have mouse and keyboard support up until very recently. So no it isn't moot. 

Because when developing a game, you have everything in since day 1, right?

And in before you come one with some another moot point, you also announce every single line of code you added on daily basis...

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

8/13/12 6:36:08 AM#8
Originally posted by Mephster
Learn to accept change. Everything can't be for the pc all the time. Excluding WoW, the vast majority of pc mmos fail anyway.

I own a PS3. I will gladly play Dust without giving CCP a cent until we get a PC port. 

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

8/13/12 6:38:51 AM#9

Because when developing a game, you have everything in since day 1, right?

Dust has already garnered negative previews on a few websites, PS3 players are showing very little interest in its beta test. 

CCP has gone on record saying PC vs PS3 fps isnt fair due to M+KB vs Controller, then they add M+KB to PS3? Why? 

You're a smart guy, you know this game is going to fail on PS3, even as a Free to play. 

CCP as a fail safe added in M+KB support because this game will be ported to PC once it averages a 60% on metacritic (which will kill its chances on PC, Since console gamers only care about review scores).

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

8/13/12 6:42:48 AM#10

And in before you come one with some another moot point, you also announce every single line of code you added on daily basis...

Why did CCP bringing up M+KB vs gamepad FPS as a a bad thing then add it in to PS3? If M+KB dominate Fps and it was one of the major reasons to not make a PC port why give PS3 players the option to have a massive, game breaking advantage within that environment?

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:44:42 AM#11

Dust has already garnered negative previews on a few websites, PS3 players are showing very little interest in its beta test. 

CCP has gone on record saying PC vs PS3 fps isnt fair due to M+KB vs Controller, then they add M+KB to PS3? Why? 

You're a smart guy, you know this game is going to fail on PS3, even sa a Free to play. 

CCP as a fail safe added in M+KB support because this game will be ported to PC once is averages a 60% on metacritic.

1) You have great insight into what other people think...

2) Source? And as I asked before, do you have more info on KB+M support apart from "Dust will support KB+M"?

3) Yes, I am smart and that is why I know you do not have a crystal ball you pretend to have.

4) Same as 1)& 3)

Mizzmo

Novice Member

8/13/12 6:49:32 AM#12
Originally posted by skamper

The main original player base (EVE) is on PC

Emerging Free to Play market is PC (Planetside2, Firefall, etc)

Next gen Consoles likely to be announced soon

Mouse and keyboard mixed with controller - can't wait to hear the crying

If they just released this on PC it would garner attention toward Eve and people would be more likely to play both because one is F2P. But since they went console for some reason, the pc only people on eve probably won't even touch it. I seriously can't understand why they went for ps3 of all things.

Developing a real MMORPG for current gen consoles is just not a good idea. They aren't made for it. They aren't suited for it.  They aren't versitle enough. It's just a poor idea for anyone to want to do a REAL mmorpg on current gen consoles.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

8/13/12 6:52:54 AM#13

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/07/ccp-confirms-keyboard-and-mouse-control-for-dust-514/  - Feb 2012.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fovoroth

Mothanos

Hard Core Member

8/13/12 6:53:01 AM#14

Also add the fact that a new platform will be launched in 2013 and alot of people replace their PS3 with a PS4....

I think its a waiste of resources they could have spent on World of Darkness or Eve itsself.

Realy realy stupid move from them if you ask me.

http://speedtest.net/result/2112016336.png

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:54:08 AM#15

Originally posted by Mizzmo

Developing a real MMORPG for current gen consoles is just not a good idea. They aren't made for it. They aren't suited for it.  They aren't versitle enough. It's just a poor idea for anyone to want to do a REAL mmorpg on current gen consoles.

Did you want to post in some other thread because no MMORPG is being a topic here.

DUST 514 is a console multiplayer FPS game.

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:55:33 AM#16

Originally posted by Mothanos

Also add the fact that a new platform will be launched in 2013 and alot of people replace their PS3 with a PS4....

I think its a waiste of resources they could have spent on World of Darkness or Eve itsself.

Realy realy stupid move from them if you ask me.

New consoles were announced and release dates too? Can you provide a link please?

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 6:59:40 AM#17

Originally posted by Loktofeit

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/07/ccp-confirms-keyboard-and-mouse-control-for-dust-514/  - Feb 2012.

Still not much info how this will work. Is that a full support, including all game play?

What were the reasons? Is there some large management, strategic part of the game or whatnot that made them to do it? Or they simply consider KB+M as fighting windmills because you can play with an adapter anyway thus it is just better to support it yourself so it is more available to everyone?

A lot of valid questions I see here :)

EDIT: That seems to be the only information to be found on the internet regarding Dust KB+M support - the 1 liner tweeter saying nothing more than it will be supported. Never realized the date it was posted tho, good catch!

jpnz

Elite Member

8/13/12 7:59:39 AM#18

Didn't CCP's 2011 financial reveal investments from 'SOE'?

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

skamper

Novice Member

OP  8/13/12 8:24:28 AM#19

1) "The original players base" is:

- only 360k people
- not particularly interested in FPS

2) "Emerging Free to Play market" - uh, oh...so what?

3) Because dated PC HW can run latest FSP games just fine...

- announce and release can still be some years difference
- that is a part of the business, PC or consoles

4) Do you have any more details how this will work? Apart from "Dust will support KB+M" quote?

Ok and the original player base would obviously be a fraction of it plus new people who were not interested in Eve, plus you would get the vets that left and are looking for something new.

"uh so what?" so what it is an emerging market that is the future of pc gaming. There has never been a succesful mmorpg on consoles. Much less one with microtransactions. And much less an MMOFPS overall. PC has been tested and is the prime market for something like this. Especially being an fps.

Actually ya have you ever seen the nvidia chart of where xbox technology is compared to their modern graphics cards. We're like 20x better than what is in the PS3 or Xbox now, and I'm willing to bet the 2012 computers can beat the 2005 consoles. You may have to adjust settings, but that's the great thing about pc... having the option to do that.

Are you trying to make assumptions that the game will be segregated into two groups of people with KBM and people with controllers? That's ludicrous.

skamper

Novice Member

OP  8/13/12 8:38:41 AM#20

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Still not much info how this will work. Is that a full support, including all game play?

What were the reasons? Is there some large management, strategic part of the game or whatnot that made them to do it? Or they simply consider KB+M as fighting windmills because you can play with an adapter anyway thus it is just better to support it yourself so it is more available to everyone?

A lot of valid questions I see here :)

EDIT: That seems to be the only information to be found on the internet regarding Dust KB+M support - the 1 liner tweeter saying nothing more than it will be supported. Never realized the date it was posted tho, good catch!

http://www.psu.com/a016516/Dust-514-beta-Precursor-patch-adds-great-new-features-content

Also there is a very big difference between the adapters and support. Adapters emulate input to be controller like, when support is actual full Operating system support that the PS3 has. It's best explained like this. With an adapter (on the ps3) if you move your hand to the right slowly, you will turn just like a controller, and if you move your hand very very fast the same thing will happen. With full support if you turn slow, you turn slow, if you turn fast your turn fast just like a pc. And if you don't believe me just look up the reviews for the adapters for the ps3.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search