Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Heroes of the Storm

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,608 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,319
DUST 514 (D514)
CCP Games | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/14/13)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

DUST 514 Forum » General Discussion » mouse/keyboard=nasty

13 posts found
  SysFail

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/01/05
Posts: 366

 
OP  1/25/13 2:11:35 AM#1

I noticed theres an open beta, so downloaded to give it a try. 

The first thing i did was plug in my mouse/keyboard as there is support and it was awful, the sensitivity is so low even at max sensitivity ingame and on my mouse which is 5600dpi, it took a few swipes of my mouse to do a 360 turn, where as usually its a flick of a wrist with any pc title.

I just cannot comprehend why they didn't do this game for the PC, other than the fat wads of cash sony threw at them.

  JaggaSpikes

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/21/06
Posts: 405

1/25/13 2:20:27 AM#2
wouldn't surprise me turn rate is actual stat that depends on skills and stuffs
  asmkm22

Elite Member

Joined: 11/29/06
Posts: 1620

1/25/13 2:22:57 AM#3

It probably went to PS3 rather than PC so they can try and minimize the cheating a bit.  FPS games always seem to attract the aimbotters and wall hackers for some reason.

That's my theory, anyway.

You make me like charity

  Minsc

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/07/04
Posts: 1278

1/25/13 2:23:21 AM#4
Originally posted by SysFail

I noticed theres an open beta, so downloaded to give it a try. 

The first thing i did was plug in my mouse/keyboard as there is support and it was awful, the sensitivity is so low even at max sensitivity ingame and on my mouse which is 5600dpi, it took a few swipes of my mouse to do a 360 turn, where as usually its a flick of a wrist with any pc title.

I just cannot comprehend why they didn't do this game for the PC, other than the fat wads of cash sony threw at them.

Try upping the mouse sensitivity in the ps3 settings directly and it will be better. the turn rate is to keep it balanced with gamepad players but as long as you run in assault suit or scout it's pretty decent.

  tom_gore

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 1789

1/25/13 2:23:23 AM#5
It's probably to prevent M&K players from totally dominating the battlefield over the controller users.
  SysFail

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/01/05
Posts: 366

 
OP  1/25/13 3:21:18 AM#6

I did up the mouse movement in the xmb, it helped a tad.

I can understand them not wanting to have m/k users dominating, but theres already a device that the more serious ps3 fps gamers use called the eagle eye, it fools the ps3 into thinking a players using a controller, but they are using the m/k with the movement we expect from a pc fps in games that aren't m/k supported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-06RqRZ6c

There's also a cheap way to do it via a bluetooth dongle and a laptop for the same result and i thought the game was high resolution, it looks like its playing in 576 or 480 rather than the advertised 720.

 

 

 

  hfztt

Elite Member

Joined: 5/31/05
Posts: 535

1/25/13 3:28:26 AM#7
Originally posted by SysFail

I did up the mouse movement in the xmb, it helped a tad.

I can understand them not wanting to have m/k users dominating, but theres already a device that the more serious ps3 fps gamers use called the eagle eye, it fools the ps3 into thinking a players using a controller, but they are using the m/k with the movement we expect from a pc fps in games that aren't m/k supported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-06RqRZ6c

There's also a cheap way to do it via a bluetooth dongle and a laptop for the same result and i thought the game was high resolution, it looks like its playing in 576 or 480 rather than the advertised 720.

 

 

 

If you set up your SP3 to allow 720p, it will play in 720p. Originally it was in 1080p, but they figured that that was streaching it...

As for the M/K, try using a "normal" mouse (as in normal DPI) and it will work just fine, under the restrictions the game sets up. Using any other device to control will still not allow you to turn faster as the game has a set max speeds at which things can turn.

Try not to cheat yourself out of the set game limits and it will play just fine.

  hfztt

Elite Member

Joined: 5/31/05
Posts: 535

1/25/13 3:32:28 AM#8
Originally posted by tom_gore
It's probably to prevent M&K players from totally dominating the battlefield over the controller users.

There is a more important aspect to it. People cry about not being able to turn fast enough to kill they guy sneaking up behind you. Its supposed to be like that. It means you will have to get another guy to cover your back. Its called team play, and CCP are huge fans of that.

  SysFail

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/01/05
Posts: 366

 
OP  1/25/13 11:34:01 AM#9
Originally posted by hfztt
Originally posted by SysFail

I did up the mouse movement in the xmb, it helped a tad.

I can understand them not wanting to have m/k users dominating, but theres already a device that the more serious ps3 fps gamers use called the eagle eye, it fools the ps3 into thinking a players using a controller, but they are using the m/k with the movement we expect from a pc fps in games that aren't m/k supported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-06RqRZ6c

There's also a cheap way to do it via a bluetooth dongle and a laptop for the same result and i thought the game was high resolution, it looks like its playing in 576 or 480 rather than the advertised 720.

 

 

 

If you set up your SP3 to allow 720p, it will play in 720p. Originally it was in 1080p, but they figured that that was streaching it...

As for the M/K, try using a "normal" mouse (as in normal DPI) and it will work just fine, under the restrictions the game sets up. Using any other device to control will still not allow you to turn faster as the game has a set max speeds at which things can turn.

Try not to cheat yourself out of the set game limits and it will play just fine.

I was just curious about it really, i couldn't see myself playing an fps game with console limitations, but i'm sure it will be a nice step up for console users with 48 player maps, but the game is a big step backwards for a pc gamer and it felt like a real slug after playing ps2.

  Mors.Magne

Elite Member

Joined: 3/02/07
Posts: 1264

1/25/13 2:27:24 PM#10

I use keyboard and mouse for DUST and I find them perfect.

I wouldn't want the mouse to be too sensitive because I find it's important to aim well - even with an aimed assault rifle.

  MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 6/17/10
Posts: 5739

1/30/13 11:11:30 AM#11
Originally posted by SysFail

I noticed theres an open beta, so downloaded to give it a try. 

The first thing i did was plug in my mouse/keyboard as there is support and it was awful, the sensitivity is so low even at max sensitivity ingame and on my mouse which is 5600dpi, it took a few swipes of my mouse to do a 360 turn, where as usually its a flick of a wrist with any pc title.

I just cannot comprehend why they didn't do this game for the PC, other than the fat wads of cash sony threw at them.

there is a bug. max sens and low sens are reversed

  benasato

Novice Member

Joined: 5/06/05
Posts: 203

*stuck in T-pose*

1/31/13 11:03:31 PM#12
Also set the ps move sens to 0.

  Sheista

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/30/05
Posts: 1201

2/12/13 2:19:11 PM#13

Having not tried the game since very early beta, I updated yesterday and plugged in my mouse/keyboard for the first time.

Honestly, I was blown away by how much better it was, and I found myself really getting into the game and enjoying it.  I knew they would enable mouse/keyboard from articles in the past, but I'd just never gotten a chance to try it until now.  I can say that Im' pleasantly surprised with how much better it made the experience, and I could actually see a very long term future for the game.  I doubted the console controls before because honestly, the game feels terrible with a controller.