Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,786,935 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,277
DUST 514 (D514)
CCP Games | Official Site
MMOFPS | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/14/13)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

DUST 514 Forum » General Discussion » The fact this is not on PC is [mod edit]

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
28 posts found
  Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 8:43:03 AM#21

Originally posted by skamper
Ok and the original player base would obviously be a fraction of it plus new people who were not interested in Eve, plus you would get the vets that left and are looking for something new.

"uh so what?" so what it is an emerging market that is the future of pc gaming. There has never been a succesful mmorpg on consoles. Much less one with microtransactions. And much less an MMOFPS overall. PC has been tested and is the prime market for something like this. Especially being an fps.

Actually ya have you ever seen the nvidia chart of where xbox technology is compared to their modern graphics cards. We're like 20x better than what is in the PS3 or Xbox now, and I'm willing to bet the 2012 computers can beat the 2005 consoles. You may have to adjust settings, but that's the great thing about pc... having the option to do that.

Are you trying to make assumptions that the game will be segregated into two groups of people with KBM and people with controllers? That's ludicrous.

1) So as you can see, the "original player base" you speak of is insignificant amount in context of considered player base.

2) Dust 514 isn't MMORPG. It is an multiplayer FPS, just like there are many other similar titles on consoles.

3) When new console release, it it has at least or even better graphics than PC. Does that mean PC games should stop to be made?

By your logic no game would ever be made on consoles. Yet, consoles represent bigger market than PC games, therefore potential customer base is larger than in case of PC release.

4) I am not making any assumptions. I just ask for details how this will work and why.

As I already said, you can use adapter and play any game with KB+M so not really a point there anyway. You can just implement KB+M support yourself and offer convenience of choice for your customers.

skamper

Novice Member

OP  8/13/12 12:10:25 PM#22
Originally posted by Gdemami

Ok and the original player base would obviously be a fraction of it plus new people who were not interested in Eve, plus you would get the vets that left and are looking for something new.

"uh so what?" so what it is an emerging market that is the future of pc gaming. There has never been a succesful mmorpg on consoles. Much less one with microtransactions. And much less an MMOFPS overall. PC has been tested and is the prime market for something like this. Especially being an fps.

Actually ya have you ever seen the nvidia chart of where xbox technology is compared to their modern graphics cards. We're like 20x better than what is in the PS3 or Xbox now, and I'm willing to bet the 2012 computers can beat the 2005 consoles. You may have to adjust settings, but that's the great thing about pc... having the option to do that.

Are you trying to make assumptions that the game will be segregated into two groups of people with KBM and people with controllers? That's ludicrous.

1) So as you can see, the "original player base" you speak of is insignificant amount in context of considered player base.

2) Dust 514 isn't MMORPG. It is an multiplayer FPS, just like there are many other similar titles on consoles.

3) When new console release, it it has at least or even better graphics than PC. Does that mean PC games should stop to be made?

By your logic no game would ever be made on consoles. Yet, consoles represent bigger market than PC games, therefore potential customer base is larger than in case of PC release.

4) I am not making any assumptions. I just ask for details how this will work and why.

As I already said, you can use adapter and play any game with KB+M so not really a point there anyway. You can just implement KB+M support yourself and offer convenience of choice for your customers.

I feel like you're just arguing to argue. Your post makes no sense in relation to mine, whatsoever. You're arguing semantics, and then arguing some incoherant crap about "by my logic".

I wasn't even talking about pc vs ps3 in my first post. I'm simply talking about how a game is being released with plans to sustain it in the long term, on dated hardware. The hardware in the PS3 is dated, and I am using the PC as a comparison as to how dated. Their business decision is stupid. Why would I release a game, on PS3, with a business model that must be sustained for years? And while we're on this pc vs console crap that you started, PC is much better for long term investment because the system is able to scale and grow. Look at EVE for example. When it was released, it had ok graphics. Then they overhauled them. You can't do that on consoles. Basically they will have to release this on PS3 and then sometime in the future upgrade their systems for PS4.

The KB/M is a perfectly logical argument. The fact is KB/M > controller. It's fact. You can look at any professional fps game that was released on console and pc and compare the results of the two. KB/M will always win. When you place the two together, you're now saying that one player is better than the other by default.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. But it's fine, you're entitled to your own opinions.

rdrakken

Apprentice Member

8/13/12 12:14:04 PM#23
Expect bad things from bad companies...
  User Deleted
8/13/12 12:25:02 PM#24
I was wondering the same OP. I mentioned it in some EVE thread and EVE fans ripped me a new one. They're pretty touchy about their game to the point they want no change to it whatsoever. I don't mean to be offensive to any EVE fans by saying this. just an opinion I have. EVE is a great game it just should not be held back by those fearing change. It could be so much more in my OP if dust was merged into EVE online instead of a trying to waste time on a console port. I feel they may have intended for it to be int the PC version but they're afraid it seems after monoclegate.
  Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 1:04:58 PM#25

I feel like you're just arguing to argue. Your post makes no sense in relation to mine, whatsoever. You're arguing semantics, and then arguing some incoherant crap about "by my logic".

I wasn't even talking about pc vs ps3 in my first post. I'm simply talking about how a game is being released with plans to sustain it in the long term, on dated hardware. The hardware in the PS3 is dated, and I am using the PC as a comparison as to how dated. Their business decision is stupid. Why would I release a game, on PS3, with a business model that must be sustained for years? And while we're on this pc vs console crap that you started, PC is much better for long term investment because the system is able to scale and grow. Look at EVE for example. When it was released, it had ok graphics. Then they overhauled them. You can't do that on consoles. Basically they will have to release this on PS3 and then sometime in the future upgrade their systems for PS4.

The KB/M is a perfectly logical argument. The fact is KB/M > controller. It's fact. You can look at any professional fps game that was released on console and pc and compare the results of the two. KB/M will always win. When you place the two together, you're now saying that one player is better than the other by default.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. But it's fine, you're entitled to your own opinions.

I only reply to points you brought up but you seem to have hard time to tracking your own words...

1) In your first post you talk about how PC platform would be better due "Emerging Free to Play PC market". Since the game is released on PS3 platform, yeah, that makes it PC vs PS3 point to debate.

2) "Why would I release a game, on PS3, with a business model that must be sustained for years?"

For same reasons other console games are released - there is no need to "sustain" anything. Console market works differently from MMO market but you seem to have Dust trapped in PC MMO box - Dust is not a PC MMO so your perceptions, expectations and arguments do not apply.

Dust is console FPS shooter, same shooter as CoD:MW3 that racked up 10M sold units despite it's dated HW.

So as you can see, console gamers do spend quite a few bucks on their consoles despite it was released years ago and it is dated compared to PC.

3) Yes, KB+M is better than controller and you cannot deny people using KB+M, whether the game supports it or not.

You make no point there apart from stating well known fact.

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/13/12 1:06:42 PM#26

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

It could be so much more in my OP if dust was merged into EVE online instead of a trying to waste time on a console port.

Maybe but it would make not much business sense. Releasing Dust for console is a business decision, and not a bad one.

Kiljaedenas

Hard Core Member

To err is human, but to really f*ck things up you need a computer.

8/13/12 1:41:31 PM#27
Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

It could be so much more in my OP if dust was merged into EVE online instead of a trying to waste time on a console port.

Maybe but it would make not much business sense. Releasing Dust for console is a business decision, and not a bad one.

Precisely!!! Why do people keep forgetting that CCP directly chose to release Dust 514 on the PS3 so that they could break into a completely different customer market? Big game companies like EA have games out for both PC and multiple consoles, and CCP wants to break into the console market as well. FFS, give it a rest already! Stop whining about it going to PS3 instead of the PC!

Where's the any key?

DaezAster

Novice Member

8/13/12 1:52:44 PM#28
They want to get that console money and what better way than to put another shooter up against call of duty. Ps3 heads are ocd for cod. It will be a hard sell and I hope they have a great game with something to it that will stand out, referencing eve means nothing to the console community.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search