Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,948,823 Users Online:0
Games:778  Posts:6,370,435
Aika (AIKA)
Hanbit Soft | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/31/10)  | Pub:Redbana
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Aika Forum » General Discussion » Aika-5 Minute Review

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
75 posts found
  dinos_21

Advanced Member

2/13/10 1:15:27 AM#61
Originally posted by Tanon

Face it, Aika is great on paper, but the game is FAR from being ready-even for closed beta testing. I played for FIVE minutes.

same here...i will stick with allods for now

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
I longed for her beauty
Yet from dust, she returned
The dream, an enigma.... silent

adonaac

Novice Member

2/13/10 8:15:42 AM#62

@Tanon

What I'm saying is that if they have to use an older client because of the reasons I mentioned, then they would want to check if the bugs found are the same as those found in other versions or if there is something new. Also, if you open a buggy game with no bug report section people would be quite pissed. =P And remember, closed beta... Supposed to be full of bugs!

And I can't understand how you think the game is so buggy because I didn't think so. Apart from constant DCing (which can be solved, but you have to turn auto attack off) and sometimes a buggy movement, it seemed ok to me.

Tanon

Apprentice Member

OP  2/13/10 12:00:34 PM#63
Originally posted by tsurano

The combat systems are quite different due to the 3D (flying) nature of Perfect World's (PW) combat vs. the 2D nature of AIKA's.  AIKA also supports a lot more players and is more free in the PvP/PK sense.

No one flies while PvPing except to run away; you only deal half damage.

AIKA is open PK as soon as you hit level 10 for all players on all servers for all nations.

PW does not have PK till 30, and the player needs to be flagged unless they are on the PvP server.

PW has a 150 level cap, and you really don't start learning the basics of how to play your class until the 20s.

AIKA also supports more players in PvP, not due to system specs/lag limitations but technical limitations.  PW at most will have 200v200 PvP at its best case scenario.  Two Tier 3 Guilds with all players fighting during territory wars.  This would be quite impressive and would more than fill my need for PvP (maybe better than AIKA), but the problem is that it is just two sides fighting and ends up being not as interesting.  On the PvE server, there may end up being as many people PvPing as in AIKA, but it is much more difficult to control (no insta-messaging your entire nation) and the PvP system of PW was not designed with this in mind.

One interesting thing about AIKA is the idea of diplomacy with other nations.  You ally with a nation since you hear that two others are ganging up to attack you.  Your ally is helping protect your relics, when all of a sudden they remove themselves as allies, steal your relics and run away with them.  This kind of stuff won't happen in PW and would make things quite a lot of fun.

There are multiple territories that can be controlled which require co-ordination. You can have allies bid on one of your territories so that enemies can't take it. On the other hand, you could have a bunch of allied guilds bid on multiple enemy territories so that the enemy is forced to defend. People can't play 24/7, so you're bound to face the enemy guild at times where some of their strongest players are offline. 

About the bugs section:
There can still be bugs in translations or script errors.  I noticed quite a few when I had a few untranslated characters in my chat scripts.  Just because it is an old buggy client doesn't mean there will still be problems when its patched over.  And even though it has been around for (five years?) a while there could still be bugs that still haven't been fixed (or caught but the chances are slim).

If you say 'report any translation errors' the public will be more inclined to believe that the client is not very buggy. As you said, it doesn't mean there will be problems when patched over, so why are we reporting bugs in a known buggy client? 

Note: I looked up Perfect World's PvP systems in addition to their guild systems and a few videos of the PvP.  Similar target/skill/attack system but the overall combat ends up being more challenging due to managing flying abilities in Perfect World.  So Perfect World wins out over AIKA in a 1v1  up to 200v200, but the idea of massive amounts of players from different nations all fighting together is what wins out AIKA PvP for me.  Guess it will all boil down to the cash shop.

Korean developer. gPotato. Cash shop. 'Nuff said. Even PWI has a huge cash shop advantage.

Here is a Q&A and a Review (by Jaime Skelton, some of her articles are on the front page here on MMORPG.com)

Review: http://mmohut.com/editorials/aika-closed-beta-review

Q&A: http://www.massiveonlinegamer.com/news/special-features/453-aika-online-qaa

The Q&A addresses some of the issues you brought up in your previous arguments, and the Review shares a bit of the "the laggy/choppyness was only happening to a few people" idea I was trying to get across earlier.  The customization is worse than she says but the rest is pretty spot on.

'Official' reviews and Q/A aren't objective enough. You can really talk about systems all you like, but in the end, it comes down to actually playing the game. Lots of people are saying you can't review a game in 5 minutes, but that editorial certainly isn't coming from someone that has played through to the endgame.

Oh, and make sure you remove the downloader (Pando Media Booster) that downloaded the game, it acts like a torrent client and can get quite annoying.

That might have been an issue. Thanks.

@adonaac: Yes, I understand the point of 'closed beta being buggy', but I feel like I haven't stressed this point enough: we're really not testing anything. They could simply say outright "this client is old and is known to contain bugs but they have been addressed in patches that we are going to translate and add to the game".

tsurano

Novice Member

2/13/10 12:03:36 PM#64
Originally posted by drbaltazar 

yes they are bug testing ,french and english are two very different langage and keyboardlayout  etc

untill they can design a game on a universal code they have to correct it for each langage they support

i would go just english if i was them but then there  lot of chinese way more  350 million gamer

French and English?  The game is available in Korean, Japanese and Taiwanese.  They don't have it in French (that I know of).  Also, you don't need to change the code for each language, as long as the computer can support a certain programming language (not speaking language) its not a problem.  They just need to change the quest scripts and the interface language.

And there really does need to be a bug testing section.  There were quite a few bugs that were server related.  Such as the disconnect for speed hacking bug that happened when you had auto-attack on.

tsurano

Novice Member

2/13/10 12:32:53 PM#65

No one flies while PvPing except to run away; you only deal half damage.

Watched a few PvP videos with people flying, but that seems kind of silly.  Why would you limit the power of a character who is flying when one of the things that makes Perfect World shine is the flying system?

PW has a 150 level cap, and you really don't start learning the basics of how to play your class until the 20s.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to PvP/PK.  On the PvE server it wouldn't be a problem since you have to flag yourself for PK to PK (something I view as silly) but on the PvP server it gets a bit problematic with griefers going to level 30 grind areas and waiting for a few level 30's to pop by so they can test their new equipments.  I don't know if this happens in Perfect World, but it happened quite a bit in World of Kungfu.  Yes, you lose a lot of players with early PK but it helps quite a bit with gold farmers, KSers and annoying spammers.

There are multiple territories that can be controlled which require co-ordination. You can have allies bid on one of your territories so that enemies can't take it. On the other hand, you could have a bunch of allied guilds bid on multiple enemy territories so that the enemy is forced to defend. People can't play 24/7, so you're bound to face the enemy guild at times where some of their strongest players are offline. 

I looked at Perfect World a while ago and I believe I liked the Territory system at the time but I don't think I like it as much anymore.  Seems kind of silly that it is a 1 Guild v 1 Guild type of thing  competing over one territory, I guess with the way the system is set up it makes it difficult to have multiple guilds at once.   The actual battles require coordination, but the overall system doesn't really require much.  Just know the times your allies are weak and outbid them, not much unique strategy or coordination there.  There isn't also a large political dynamic where breaking an alliance with someone is as devastating.  Break an alliance with a guild and (if you are a strong guild) there will be three others waiting to take its place.  In AIKA if you break an alliance with someone (too often) you won't be trusted and a few nations will end up allying and ganging up on you.

Quick question, what are the benefits for winning a territory war?

If you say 'report any translation errors' the public will be more inclined to believe that the client is not very buggy. As you said, it doesn't mean there will be problems when patched over, so why are we reporting bugs in a known buggy client? 

There are still bugs, but most of the stuff is for translation errors.  Don't know what gPotato did to the client but who knows, they could have tweaked it a bit for reasons such as making it easier to run on the client, and making it easier for them to understand.  This does bring a few problems, and as I stated in my last post, the speedhack problem was pretty big, but isn't found on the other servers.

Korean developer. gPotato. Cash shop. 'Nuff said. Even PWI has a huge cash shop advantage.

Not always, so far the other servers aren
't too bad, and one thing I like about a Nation vs Nation PvP system (Air Rivals had this) is that even if a few players become incredibly cash shop powerful, they are still allies and still in your nation.  Yes, they may end up winning the Castle Siege a lot and become Grand Marshal all the time, but at least the cash shoppers are on your side.  In most games I've played, the cash shoppers end up joining together and becoming part of one unstoppable guild.  I believe the Korean server sells grinding weapons (weapons good till level 40/50) but I think that is the worst of it, my brother quit Perfect World because you could practically buy (overpowered) endgame weapons that took forever to hunt for normally.

'Official' reviews and Q/A aren't objective enough. You can really talk about systems all you like, but in the end, it comes down to actually playing the game. Lots of people are saying you can't review a game in 5 minutes, but that editorial certainly isn't coming from someone that has played through to the endgame.

The Q&A does answer a few questions you had and the review was just to back up my point about not a lot of people having the lag issues that some were.  When I try a game I usually try to give it a week before I make a statement about it.

That might have been an issue. Thanks.

Yeah, Pando Media booster was great at downloading the client, but its set to start every time you turn on the computer and starts seeding to other people.  Hopefully the client will be uploaded to a hosting site soon.

Tanon

Apprentice Member

OP  2/14/10 12:10:04 AM#66

Watched a few PvP videos with people flying, but that seems kind of silly.  Why would you limit the power of a character who is flying when one of the things that makes Perfect World shine is the flying system?

Well, flying gives a speed boost; otherwise, people wouldn't use it. The only way to prevent mages/archers from just flying, swooping in and mass-pwning everyone is to nerf their damage while in flight.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to PvP/PK.  On the PvE server it wouldn't be a problem since you have to flag yourself for PK to PK (something I view as silly) but on the PvP server it gets a bit problematic with griefers going to level 30 grind areas and waiting for a few level 30's to pop by so they can test their new equipments.  I don't know if this happens in Perfect World, but it happened quite a bit in World of Kungfu.  Yes, you lose a lot of players with early PK but it helps quite a bit with gold farmers, KSers and annoying spammers.

It's solved by the PK penalty. Haven't played in awhile, but IIRC, if you flag yourself for PvP, you're unable to turn it off for 10 hours. If you kill someone, you get 2 hours of redname, which stacks, and if your name is red, you can lose items when you die.

I looked at Perfect World a while ago and I believe I liked the Territory system at the time but I don't think I like it as much anymore.  Seems kind of silly that it is a 1 Guild v 1 Guild type of thing  competing over one territory, I guess with the way the system is set up it makes it difficult to have multiple guilds at once.   The actual battles require coordination, but the overall system doesn't really require much.  Just know the times your allies are weak and outbid them, not much unique strategy or coordination there.  There isn't also a large political dynamic where breaking an alliance with someone is as devastating.  Break an alliance with a guild and (if you are a strong guild) there will be three others waiting to take its place.  In AIKA if you break an alliance with someone (too often) you won't be trusted and a few nations will end up allying and ganging up on you.

Quick question, what are the benefits for winning a territory war?

Not exactly; most of the time, it's all one or two mega-guilds (and their subsidiaries, which somewhat counts as an alliance) that control the map. The main benefit to winning is taxes and there are special merchants which sell useful items at a discount only to those of the guild that owns the territory.

There are still bugs, but most of the stuff is for translation errors.  Don't know what gPotato did to the client but who knows, they could have tweaked it a bit for reasons such as making it easier to run on the client, and making it easier for them to understand.  This does bring a few problems, and as I stated in my last post, the speedhack problem was pretty big, but isn't found on the other servers.

Well, again, gPotato. 'Nuff said. FlyFF used to be a good game, but it got ruined as well.

Not always, so far the other servers aren
't too bad, and one thing I like about a Nation vs Nation PvP system (Air Rivals had this) is that even if a few players become incredibly cash shop powerful, they are still allies and still in your nation.  Yes, they may end up winning the Castle Siege a lot and become Grand Marshal all the time, but at least the cash shoppers are on your side.  In most games I've played, the cash shoppers end up joining together and becoming part of one unstoppable guild.  I believe the Korean server sells grinding weapons (weapons good till level 40/50) but I think that is the worst of it, my brother quit Perfect World because you could practically buy (overpowered) endgame weapons that took forever to hunt for normally.

You can't really buy endgame weapons, but the CS does allow you to mass-upgrade everything to the point of imba. A max level mage with max equips would be able to deal ~20k damage on a non-crit with his final skill, which normally takes 5 seconds to channel but with another skill it becomes instant. Considering that having 8k HP is considered a LOT for anyone that isn't a tank class, and that's pretty overpowered.

The Q&A does answer a few questions you had and the review was just to back up my point about not a lot of people having the lag issues that some were.  When I try a game I usually try to give it a week before I make a statement about it.

I do as well; however, some games I really do just find to be unbearable even after the first few minutes. This was one; Grand Fantasia was another recent one.

I do believe that this is getting off-topic. I suppose after discussion, I'll have to change some points for my argument about this game; although all the problems I've brought up have been addressed, there is still the issue of gPotato knowingly giving us a buggy client. Maybe they had a reason, maybe not, but I suppose that's still the bottom line here.

adonaac

Novice Member

2/14/10 8:37:33 AM#67

You don't know if they gave you a buggy client because they wanted to or not. My guess is that they did, but not because they like to mess with players, but because they had no choice or because that's just how it always goes.

I think they have to sort of catch up with other versions by testing all (or most) clients before they can use the latest one, and since this is the first client they used, it is really buggy, just like the first time that the game was released in Korea(?).

To be honest I couldn't care less about GPotato using a buggy client or not, they are providing the game and it is closed beta, they have the right to do that.

Like I said before, come back to the game in open beta and if it's still as buggy, then you can say it sucks.

and_rea

Novice Member

2/15/10 2:21:12 PM#68

Originally posted by Mellow44
I have never seen any F2P game that has as good graphics as Aika.
To my eyes the graphics are very close to Aion's graphics.

Hey, I admit Aika has good graphics, but can't still be compared to a Crytek engine :)

I am playing Aika and Aion on an high-end machine, and I can assure you that Aion, played at full graphics goodies, can't be beaten so easy.

But I don't wanna say Aika has bad graphics, instead with the small footage of the engine, the developers were able to achieve an impressive result.

But, as reported in the OP, this is still far to be a perfect engine. All movement issues I think are consequences of that.

On movement glitches, I think the OP has sometime forced them (nothing bad, he was just testing basics of a graphic engine), but on the other end it is true that passing througth some kind of obstacles made me "w00t". But beta is beta, I'll report any issue, then developers will do the rest.

Maybe it was too early to make a review about the overall game, I think better do these when game officially starts.

Edit: im soo bad at english...

Cheers^^

drbaltazar

Novice Member

2/15/10 2:33:56 PM#69

yep i sure would like to see aion fit 1000 vs 1000 player fight on their shinny crytek engine(grin)

joke aside it look very good for its job is to do .some love to forget that this game do 1000 vs 1000 until i see that in aion(lol ,aion is a small mmo in comarision of amount of player per map!

shadowfox561

Novice Member

Insanity is just a way of evolving to fit into this insane world.

2/16/10 4:13:44 AM#70

Face it, Aika is great on paper, but the game is FAR from being ready-even for closed beta testing. I played for FIVE minutes. I know that many of you will start criticizing me for only playing for that long, but hey, those that do so are blatantly showing their inability to read everything.

Now, I've only played for five minutes and I have already seen way too many fundamental flaws with this game. These are not things like slow leveling, slow killing speeds, typos, or whatnot. These are the things that make or break games.

1. Incredibly easy to bug up the WASD controls. In 5 minutes of playing, I've had my character perform a walking animation on the spot on several occasions. Besides that, the rendering of your character's orientation is off-you will start walking in one direction while facing another. Movement in general is very buggy.

2. Cannot jump off a wall. You may laugh at this, but hey, it's pretty basic.

3. Wallhacks. Well, not through the walls, but through other doodads. I'm quite used to running through small fences and such; being able to run through entire rocks is a whole other matter. Some rocks let you walk halfway through them then magically teleport you above them.

4. Textures. The camera seems to close in at a fixed rate, causing many texture render bugs.

5. EZ-mode. This is a two-way topic, but the quests pretty much hold your hand through everything. Where's the adventure?

I'll say this now: the only good part about this game is the graphics, and even at that, they're not exactly the best (even compared to only F2Ps). I suppose the lolis are another big plus, but only if you're into that sort of thing, and face it, 99% of the people playing Aika are playing for the lolis.

So, to sum up my 5-minute-review: Aika Online has some great concepts behind it, but it really is NOT ready for closed beta testing.

EDIT: Before you people post saying it's CBT and bugs are to be expected, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coEG_nrcyZM. After watching, reconsider your standpoint.

these... are things they want you to look for find and tell them about that is why they have people sign up for the closed BETA to help them find bugs flaws and give tips ad ideas...

shadowfox5613 Xfire Miniprofile
  Tanon

Apprentice Member

OP  2/16/10 6:01:20 PM#71
Originally posted by shadowfox561

these... are things they want you to look for find and tell them about that is why they have people sign up for the closed BETA to help them find bugs flaws and give tips ad ideas...

L2Read.

tsurano

Novice Member

2/16/10 11:03:20 PM#72

Well everybody gets another chance to try it out. February 24th is 2nd closed beta test.

and_rea

Novice Member

2/17/10 5:43:40 AM#73

It will run until March 2nd.
Just one week, so if you wanna check, better do it early.
Login servers will be up at about 1100PST

Cheers^^

Cernan

Apprentice Member

3/11/10 12:12:18 PM#74
Originally posted by Xiaoki

...The build we are playing was released in Korea over a year ago. The only testing being done are the servers and spelling...

I took out this posters extra comments, but he has the just of it right.  This is a localization test.  The main things that get tested are server capability and language translation.  That's normally all the localization team have control over.  If you find a movement bug, sure you can report it.  However, that kind of change will have to be sent back to the mothership in Korea, test and approved, deployed to Korea, then one day make it's fix over here.

I'm guessing most people here haven't played in a true beta.  Those were you are hand selected based on computer specs, previous testing history.  Where you have day to day chat with devs.  I've only been in one early beta where that has taken place.  That is when the majority of bugs are found and fixed.  Last betas are primarily content checking.

Any hoo, I haven't downloaded this yet, but I would like to give it a try. 

farfanugon

Novice Member

blaw blaw blaw

3/11/10 4:13:58 PM#75

well honestly the major issue of CBT2 ended up being grid overlay a bit or 2 of code was lost in the transfer and there were more than a few areas that we were   well falling threw the map i myself found 47 issues of this type

and yes those that knew how to beta test a were sending in daily reports did have alot of deva interaction but honestly a handful of real " testers " was all that was needed .

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search