Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,521 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,709
PerBlue | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/04/08)  | Pub:PerBlue
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: Mobile Devices iOS Android | Out of date info? Let us know!

Parallel Kingdom Forum » General Discussion » I tried it... some thoughts

4 posts found
  Tisiphone

Advanced Member

"Every time you skip security patches, Cthulu kills a kitten."

OP  10/17/09 6:09:25 PM#1

Clever idea... really. They pulled off the new concept of GPS based play better than anything else out on the iPhone, right now. But... in the end, that fact makes me very sad.

Basically, it is a simple, 8-bit, fantasy hack-and-slash. There is a (I assume) randomly generated map of trees and other incidentals on top of the actual Google map of the area you're in. You install the game and create a pretty basic fantasy character. Then... you guessed it: as you walk around different areas in real life, there are randomly spawned mobs that you have to get close enough to to attack. You have about a quarter mile of leeway to move your sprite on the screen without actually physically moving. You see other players as they walk around, and you can send them messages. Neat, eh?

Sadly, the genre has a long, long way to go.

I removed the game about a month ago, and one of these days I need to shut off its "You've been attacked..." spam emails. It was fun for a few weeks.

The problem is that its incredibly simple. If you can run Myst, the Sims, and Civilization on the iPhone, there's no reason the most innovative GPS concept since geocaching has to be so boring. Perhaps I am in the wrong city to play Parallel Kingdom - they might have more stuff on the map elsewhere.

There is nothing to do except hack the monsters in a quarter mile radius, pick up some generic fantasy loot, and log out until respawn or you go elsewhere. There are no cities, no NPCs, no special boss encounters overlaying important areas of major cities... and if there's nobody actively playing in your town, you're SOL on the MMO aspect. You just see logged out players characters sitting around. And I know you can change locations, but that defeats the purpose of the game, totally.

Because I've seen the dev team for Parallel Kingdom on these forums, I really don't want to tear their game apart. But I really don't think I am being unfair, I will offer some suggestions - this is such an incredibly cool idea that could go so many places.

- You have to offer some sort of NPC or PC interaction for people who don't have their four best buddies sitting in the room with them playing. I never once talked to another soul while I was playing. Players can warp to other locations, but unlike the cute screenshot on your website, I didn't randomly have people inviting me to a party in Spain.
- This is what kills me the most: you have the real world to play with and all you spawn is trees and mobs. You could have bosses hiding in Walmarts, item shops in Targets, and a health spring at every gas station. There's no point in overlaying real life when there's no interface with it except the people currently logged in near you. There is like, INFINITE cross-world potential there, and it kills me that you haven't used it yet. Put something really cool at major landmarks!
- Please actually log out players from the game when they exit the application. I got really sick really quickly of getting emails stating something like, "You have been attacked/killed by a giant tree." at 3 AM. If I'm not playing a mobile game currently, I don't care. I don't even want my PC MMOs emailing me.

I don't know... that's all I have right now. I think Location-Based Gaming can be as big as geocaching. I just hope you run with it and enhance this game further. Good luck.

GIlbtron3000

Novice Member

10/23/09 1:00:16 PM#2

Thanks for the review! (I'm not sure about the 1 star though, *grumble, grumble*)

I am one of the Parallel Kingdom developers so I will try to respond to a few of the key points in your review as best I can:

"The problem is that its incredibly simple..."

I mostly agree. Currently the game is pretty simple. However, we are launching a very huge, very improved new version mid November and trust me, the game won't be so simple after that. Don't get me wrong, this will never be WoW (nor do we want it to be), but hopefully it is an entertaining, strategic, and mobile game that provides many hours of fun to all types of players.

"There is nothing to do except hack the monsters in a quarter mile radius, pick up some generic fantasy loot, and log out until respawn or you go elsewhere."

There are actually a few more things to do than this... You can use the resources you pick up to to build some structures in the game like houses and flags that claim territory for you. These flags allow you to travel between them without having to physically move around in the real world. They also claim territory for you so you can rent it out to other players. Also, you will be able to build many more structures in the new version.

"I will offer some suggestions - this is such an incredibly cool idea that could go so many places.

- You have to offer some sort of NPC or PC interaction for people who don't have their four best buddies sitting in the room with them playing. I never once talked to another soul while I was playing."

I'm not sure why you had such a hard time finding someone to talk to in the game. Global Chat is available from the main menu so you can talk to every other player in the game if you want to.

"Players can warp to other locations, but unlike the cute screenshot on your website, I didn't randomly have people inviting me to a party in Spain."

People don't generally randomly send out spam invites to new players. However, if you were to go on Global Chat and ask to get invited somewhere, I'm sure you wouldn't have too hard of a time getting invited to Spain, France, Japan, or many other places.

"You could have bosses hiding in Walmarts, item shops in Targets, and a health spring at every gas station."

We realize their is a lot of partnership potential with large corporations but we don't want to over commercialize the game. We're really against that.

"This is what kills me the most: you have the real world to play with and all you spawn is trees and mobs."

PK actually spawns more than just trees and mobs. There are caves, mines, troll huts and other caches of rare resources. Also, in the new version, the Age of Emergence, there will be much, much more variety.

One of the other main themes of your review is the limited interaction between real life and the in-game world. This is also something that we are addressing in the Age of Emergence. I can't give too many details right now but suffice it to say that if we do our jobs correctly, you'll notice some very real connections between the game world and the real world.

Thanks again for the review. Hope you'll give the next version a try and let me know what you think.

Venekor

Apprentice Member

10/16/10 3:02:21 PM#3
I've played this game and really liked the idea but.... no one is playing in my area lol. So it becomes really boring playing alone and the nearest town only has 3 people. So I don't have anything to sell of any worth and I'm not spending real life money on the game. So I got to the point where I can't advance any further and I quit.
  Braindome

Hard Core Member

10/27/13 1:36:01 PM#4
The best mobile MMO ever. Still play it this many years later. Nothing compares.