Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,844,098 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,221,670
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » Reviews & Impressions » TERA - My reasons for quitting.

13 posts found
  Dead_Guy

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/14/12
Posts: 5

 
OP  5/14/12 4:24:38 AM#1

I’m sure many people enjoy TERA and you may completely disagree with me on all the points I make here. I just think that game companies can’t improve their games if they don’t know why people quit, so I’ve made a list of things I didn’t like about TERA. I've also mailed this to the game developers, hopefully they'll read it.


Combat Issues - While the combat system itself is innovative, I had many frustrating experiences with it. Some classes are very slow, which could make it difficult to position yourself and time your attacks properly. Ranged classes have very short ranged attacks compared to most MMOs, making it difficult to avoid melee classes or to reach other ranged classes properly. I felt like I was mired down most of the time, which is not a good feeling to have while playing an ‘action’ based game. Maybe I’ve played too many FPS and fighting games, I don’t know...

Grinding - Yes, it’s a Korean game and I knew there would be some grinding involved, I just didn’t realize how boring the combat would get. It was especially bad when I played a berserker, as I could just walk up to a normal mob and one shot it... no challenge at all. I ended up gathering 4+ mobs at a time just to make things interesting, but I really shouldn’t have to do stuff like that.

Buffs - I’ve never been a fan of buffs, but TERA made me realize just how much I hate them. Potion buffs, scroll buffs, campfire buffs, gathering buffs... soooo many buffs. I don’t usually have trouble managing buffs, but when you have that many and they only last 8-15 minutes, things get out of hand.

Atmosphere - While the graphics were fantastic, the game itself felt like your run-o-the-mill MMO; empty and static. The quests didn’t interest me, the NPCs were annoying, the storyline... heck, I can hardly remember what I was fighting for. Overall, everything felt way too bright and cheery. The dungeons felt unthreatening, the bosses seemed generic and the music just didn’t feel right.

Community - The PvP server I was on seemed like a giant magnet for trolls and asshats. I had a very hard time finding like-minded players to group with. I guess I could blame the open pvp system and the sexually deviant races for that, but it may just be that I’m turning into an old fart.


I can’t say the game was a step backwards, but there certainly wasn’t any innovation beyond the combat system. PvP looked like it could have been fun, but I realized that PvP alone wasn’t enough to keep me playing, and paying.

  User Deleted
5/16/12 7:52:01 PM#2
Originally posted by Dead_Guy

I’m sure many people enjoy TERA and you may completely disagree with me on all the points I make here. I just think that game companies can’t improve their games if they don’t know why people quit, so I’ve made a list of things I didn’t like about TERA. I've also mailed this to the game developers, hopefully they'll read it.


Combat Issues - While the combat system itself is innovative, I had many frustrating experiences with it. Some classes are very slow, which could make it difficult to position yourself and time your attacks properly. Ranged classes have very short ranged attacks compared to most MMOs, making it difficult to avoid melee classes or to reach other ranged classes properly. I felt like I was mired down most of the time, which is not a good feeling to have while playing an ‘action’ based game. Maybe I’ve played too many FPS and fighting games, I don’t know...

Grinding - Yes, it’s a Korean game and I knew there would be some grinding involved, I just didn’t realize how boring the combat would get. It was especially bad when I played a berserker, as I could just walk up to a normal mob and one shot it... no challenge at all. I ended up gathering 4+ mobs at a time just to make things interesting, but I really shouldn’t have to do stuff like that.

Buffs - I’ve never been a fan of buffs, but TERA made me realize just how much I hate them. Potion buffs, scroll buffs, campfire buffs, gathering buffs... soooo many buffs. I don’t usually have trouble managing buffs, but when you have that many and they only last 8-15 minutes, things get out of hand.

Atmosphere - While the graphics were fantastic, the game itself felt like your run-o-the-mill MMO; empty and static. The quests didn’t interest me, the NPCs were annoying, the storyline... heck, I can hardly remember what I was fighting for. Overall, everything felt way too bright and cheery. The dungeons felt unthreatening, the bosses seemed generic and the music just didn’t feel right.

Community - The PvP server I was on seemed like a giant magnet for trolls and asshats. I had a very hard time finding like-minded players to group with. I guess I could blame the open pvp system and the sexually deviant races for that, but it may just be that I’m turning into an old fart.


I can’t say the game was a step backwards, but there certainly wasn’t any innovation beyond the combat system. PvP looked like it could have been fun, but I realized that PvP alone wasn’t enough to keep me playing, and paying.

To be honest I quit because of the community. All they could talk about was filth regarding what they do or would do to the female characters on the game. Got tired of the crap. I really liked the graphics and the combat but that was pretty much it. 

  xposeidon

Novice Member

Joined: 3/26/12
Posts: 393

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

5/16/12 7:56:26 PM#3

I quit at level 42, my reasons. Linear, Repetitive, Boring, Dull and not worth the sub, Graphics and Combat are not ENOUGH to carry a game. I gave it a chance, I really enjoyed the combat and I wished that there was something more than that to this game because there could be great potential, but the rest  just fails in comparison.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

5/16/12 7:58:16 PM#4
Originally posted by Rikus25

To be honest I quit because of the community. All they could talk about was filth regarding what they do or would do to the female characters on the game. Got tired of the crap. I really liked the graphics and the combat but that was pretty much it. 

I have played countless asian inspired games over the years and the skimpier the outfits and more cleavage shown by the female characters the worse the community has been.. lineage 2 for the most part was god awful, in general pvp will bring out the most immature people around. You combine that with eye candy and it's just a flat out mess.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  Ceromus

Novice Member

Joined: 9/20/03
Posts: 112

5/20/12 11:38:04 AM#5

Can't comment on the combat part as I am not sure what classes you have played.

One thing I wanted to comment on was about the grinding. In my opinion its not the boring quests but rather the gaps in character progression. At some point you get the fun glyphs you wanted and majority of your skills and then you ding and ding and ding and theres nothing fun coming your way as a result of the ding. The only thing still motivating me is to get to lvl60 so I can gear up and pvp equal level opponents.

The difficulty is very level based. You'll find it significantly harder if you're fighting mobs higher level than you are but yeah if your doing all the quests and the dungeons you are almost always higher level.

Community on PvP servers is never going to be the same again lets face it. I imagine you played some of the first MMORPGs when they came out back then it was a different breed of people on the internet. back then spending hours on the computer = nerd, spending hours gaming online = super nerd. I don't even want to know what would have happened back then if I had told people I had my own profile web page that was in a community with other people that had the same and we spent hours a day reading peoples posts and rants about what they have been up to.

  Vinterkrig

Novice Member

Joined: 1/22/07
Posts: 1706

5/20/12 11:42:34 AM#6

sexually deviant races ? o_O lol

  parrotpholk

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/20/05
Posts: 3317

5/20/12 11:42:58 AM#7

I personally really like TERA but in small doses right now.  The combat is great but everything else is simply so so at best.  It fills my need for sword and board fantasy while EVE remains the game I just cant quit.

  drakaena

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/11/06
Posts: 508

5/20/12 11:44:11 AM#8
My reasons for not playing. End game is a dungeon grinder. Same as every other themepark.

This game should've highlighted action combat with open world PvP and territory control. Open world dungeons. Funnel players into hot spots with mobs in the mix and let the beautiful chaos unfold. Would've been splendid.

Instead you get rush to max level and grind 5 man heroic dungeons. Sweet...

But wait... they're adding instance battleground...
  Amjoco

Elite Member

Joined: 9/15/10
Posts: 3752

5/20/12 12:14:17 PM#9

I quit because I like to craft and the system was sub-par. The grinding took its toll on me, it was just one after another. Normally I would grind in most games, possibly do some type of battlegrounds, and crafting/gathering to mix it all up. Since there is no actual battlegrounds and the crafting is next to useless, it left me with the quest grind which wore me out really fast. I think my biggest complaint though was the immature community (This is just some random chat I videoed and it is very, very mild here). I had to tab out of the chat and just go into combat so I wouldn't see the constant childish, disgusting chatter.

I am going to leave on a good note. I found the graphics to be clean and the combat other than the combat lock to be very fun. I wish they could have put this combination in Aion with all the content it has available.

Good luck to those who continue their journey in Tera!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  bigron

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/08/12
Posts: 43

11/09/12 12:21:38 AM#10
Originally posted by Vinterkrig

sexually deviant races ? o_O lol

*Logs in. Tries to roll a sodomite. Disappointed and sad to find they're not a race.*

I think the poster meant elins?

  bigron

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/08/12
Posts: 43

11/09/12 12:28:47 AM#11
Originally posted by Amjoco

I quit because I like to craft and the system was sub-par. The grinding took its toll on me, it was just one after another. Normally I would grind in most games, possibly do some type of battlegrounds, and crafting/gathering to mix it all up. Since there is no actual battlegrounds and the crafting is next to useless, it left me with the quest grind which wore me out really fast. I think my biggest complaint though was the immature community (This is just some random chat I videoed and it is very, very mild here). I had to tab out of the chat and just go into combat so I wouldn't see the constant childish, disgusting chatter.

I am going to leave on a good note. I found the graphics to be clean and the combat other than the combat lock to be very fun. I wish they could have put this combination in Aion with all the content it has available.

Good luck to those who continue their journey in Tera!

I wasn't overly fond of the community, but it was mostly because half of them didn't seem to speak english (brazilians mostly). Many people didn't want to group and a lot of the guilds and people didn't talk.

Chat never bothered me because:

1) you can filter chat windows

2) there's a block button

  bigron

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/08/12
Posts: 43

11/09/12 12:28:47 AM#12
Doublepost sry
  Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

Joined: 1/03/11
Posts: 2360

11/09/12 10:05:36 AM#13
Please don't necro old threads. Locking.

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com