Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,553 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,219
Bluehole Studio | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » Is this game setup to fail?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
92 posts found
  FuryV

Novice Member

5/06/12 6:14:42 PM#21

Jesus Christ, so many people these days asking you to "explain yourself" when you talk about a game failing or something similar.  You know exactly what he meant by 'fail', there's no need to look so deeply into it.

otacu

Novice Member

5/06/12 6:17:38 PM#22
Originally posted by FuryV

Jesus Christ, so many people these days asking you to "explain yourself" when you talk about a game failing or something similar.  You know exactly what he meant by 'fail', there's no need to look so deeply into it.

There is no general definition of "fail".

Some think "not having as many subs as WoW is fail", others "under 1 M subscription is fail", "server merges are fail", "going f2p is fail"....

People have different opinions.

NevereveN

Novice Member

5/06/12 7:09:58 PM#23

If the game is good people will play it. The combat is normal, not as strategic as other games and lacks a ton features. Bottom line it's pretty standard. 

Reason why mmos dont have players as wow because they are ALL bad. All of em are busy upgrading the texture and not the quality of the game. I also dont get why ppl base a good pvp with the feature (WvW,WvWvW,RvR,etc) but not taking any consideration of the combat??

Sovrath

Elite Member

5/06/12 7:37:13 PM#24
Originally posted by FuryV

As far as I'm concerned, when a game "fails" it fails.

It can't bring in enough money to make it profitable and it closes down.

Fails.

Or, we can take it as some do which is "it doesn't come close to wow".

Which I think is ridiculous.

Or, that it doesn't do what it claims to do.

Sovrath

Elite Member

5/06/12 7:38:24 PM#25
Originally posted by NevereveN

If the game is good people will play it. The combat is normal, not as strategic as other games and lacks a ton

wait what?

The combat is primarily strategic.

Free2012

Novice Member

5/06/12 7:43:15 PM#26

The combat is normal, not as strategic as other games and lacks a ton features. Bottom line it's pretty standard. 

Not even close.... Combat is 'Normal'?? Really?
 That statement alone makes me think you didn't even download the game, are you sure you're not talking about GW2 or something?

As far as 'lacks a ton of features', yes TERA doesn't have a damage meter etc.

Don't take me as a rabid fan boy of TERA since the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned...but there's nothing 'standard' or 'normal' about combat in TERA in relation to other MMOs.

wnunes

Novice Member

5/06/12 7:53:05 PM#27
Originally posted by Free2012

The combat is normal, not as strategic as other games and lacks a ton features. Bottom line it's pretty standard. 

That statement alone makes me think you didn't even download the game, are you sure you're not talking about GW2 or something?

Don't take me as a rabid fan boy of TERA since the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned...but there's nothing 'standard' or 'normal' about combat in TERA in relation to other MMOs.

Why people always bring Gw2 into a Tera discussion?

Its not a war people. Calm down.

Free2012

Novice Member

5/06/12 7:57:01 PM#28
Originally posted by wnunes

I actually enjoyed GW so I'm not an Anti-'X' game type of person outside of a couple of games, my point being was the typical tab-targetting fest that 95% of games are(just as an example I used GW)...which TERA is not.

wnunes

Novice Member

5/06/12 8:03:02 PM#29

I don´t agree with your statement " typical tab targetting"

Gw2 has nothing typical in his combat, you can dodge, you have to be smart, and its difficult. wow and Swtor are typical.

Tera has a nice combat too, I like them both.

Tera will not be a fail as rift is not.

Rednecksith

Apprentice Member

Bite my fiery metal ass!

5/06/12 8:05:29 PM#30

I think Tera is a fairly well-made game, and from what I've heard En Masse is a very good company. I'll be playing it until D3 comes out, and will probably stay subbed for a while. It'll be a nice backup game to mess around in from time to time.

I believe Tera will find its niche and do just fine.

Amjoco

Elite Member

5/06/12 8:09:59 PM#31
Originally posted by wnunes

I actually enjoyed GW so I'm not an Anti-'X' game type of person outside of a couple of games, my point being was the typical tab-targetting fest that 95% of games are(just as an example I used GW)...which TERA is not.

edit: entered in error

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

maji

Spotlight Poster

5/06/12 8:11:17 PM#32
Originally posted by Slyther_Zero

I'm asking as im hestitant to dive into it just like i did for RIFT after coming from WoW and finding the novelty wear thin after a few months of play...

But... Rift had only two new things: Rifts and that class system. And the class system blows, it's just like the one from WoW, with fewer classes but more talent trees. Basically the same, but killing replayability. And the Rifts were fun but not that awesome either.

Not saying Rift was bad, it just wasn't anything really new. Tera is not totally new either, but some aspects of it are a nice change.

And I don't think Rift failed either. And I don't think Tera will fail. Like any other MMORPG these days (and any coming up soon), it won't be much better than any other good MMORPG. It will be the same good but slightly different.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Free2012

Novice Member

5/06/12 8:17:05 PM#33

I'm looking forward to playing both games TERA & GW2 with TERA being my 1 and GW2 the #2, that may switch as time goes by. Both do have a fresh feel about them but I think that GW2 will have the stronger playerbase. I'm not 100% confident that En Masse can build upon a solid game since technically it's already been out a year(in Korea) but we'll see.

I don't see myself heading back to Panda-land when it comes out(WoW), I'm not a proponent of standing around and waiting for queue pops(PvE or PvP). That's just the lazy gamer  mentallity nowadays that so many gamers have been 'trained' to accept. TERA has a nice blend of old style MMO features and a nice combat system that I prefer at this time.

FrodoFragins

Advanced Member

5/06/12 8:23:13 PM#34

As a non-Rift player I can only go by what I've seen on these forums.  Rift seemed to be a filler game for raiders waiting for SWTOR, GW2, TSW and probably TERA.  Trion seemed to listen to the customers and output new content at a great pace in the first 6 months.  I really don't know much about it after that.

TERA can garner a solid reputation but it will be much harder with so many other MMO's to compete against.  I don't think it will be nearly as well received or played as Rift was in the beginning.

teakbois

Apprentice Member

5/06/12 8:25:16 PM#35
Originally posted by maji

I'm asking as im hestitant to dive into it just like i did for RIFT after coming from WoW and finding the novelty wear thin after a few months of play...

But... Rift had only two new things: Rifts and that class system. 

Tera is not totally new either, but some aspects of it are a nice change.

Rifts and the class system werent even really that new, one was an upgrade to public quests, the other an upgrade to WoWs 3 tree system.  But its not like TERA's combat is new.   New to a AAA game, but not new overall.  And outside of the combat TERA brings nothing new to the table.  That and the political system which doesnt really concern the average player anyway.  

User Deleted
5/06/12 8:39:46 PM#36

Tera will do fine. Same with Rift for that matter. Why does it matter anyway? People want to make sure they are on the winning team or something. Makes no sense.

User Deleted
5/06/12 8:45:29 PM#37

As the title says, what do you think the future holds for TERA. Will this game end up like RIFT for example, getting a decent amount of praise and still failing to hold up amongst the likes of WoW etc.

Or does this game have a bright future, if so why?

LOL right off the bat you show yourself to be nothing but a Troll as you obviously have zero clue what you are talking about. Rift is considered a huge success by ANY industry standards and continues to maintain and even slightly expand its subscriber base in an industry where one launch after another shows as an abysmal failure.

Now as for the real issue here, yes Tera is destined to fail as I have been saying all along.

First off by being in 3 markets, each market contributes to the failure of each distributor by sucking the life blood, mainly a steady subscriber base away from each player base, and the game as a whole.

Basically what I am saying is the game is a niche game, like Rift, and it could have acceptable success as one joint community. However, by taking those limited numbers of dedicated players, and effectively dividing them by 3, you cut the player pool critically.

200k active players across 5 or 10 servers would be a success, and make the game feel full and make the players feel they have a solid community. 200k active players spread over 3 IPs and 30 servers makes the worlds seem empty and gives an air of failure to its community.

Next, many people discount Korean gamers, but video games are the national pasttime and national industrys in Korea, we would do well to listen to what they are saying and take it to heart. They called Tera a failure over a year ago, complained about many of the same things we are seeing and complaing about.

Lastly Tera is up against the clock in a tough and tight economy. More than ever before most gamers out there actually have to budget their gaming dollars, they have to think about what they can afford, and make some hard choices. Tera is launching up against some amazing releases this year, and many gamers are giving it a pass in favor of more popular in case of GW2 or Diablo3, or more unique as in the case of TSW.

Tera is not a horrible game I have said that from the start months ago, the problem is there is just too much stacked against it for it to really have any chance of any kind.

Mahavishnu

Novice Member

5/06/12 9:04:47 PM#38

I do not like TERA, but I think it can be successful. The combat is fun and the graphics are better than in any other MMO. I do not like the outdated content-design (yes, I prefer GW2), but I think there are many players who just don't care and will love this game. In contrast to SWTOR (which was uninspired from the beginning in so many ways) TERA has some fresh ideas and tries to give a spin to some mechanics in group combat.

Eventually TERA just has to deliver good PvP-content for everybody quickly. And some additional PvE-endgame-content would not hurt, either. The combat system could be awsome in PvP and the political system sounds intriguing. So there is potential. But if the players have to wait 6 months, till everything works fine, this game will fail. Maybe I am a little bit uninformed, but the last preview I read was like "We still do not know how the political system exactly works, and there is very limited PvP on non-PvP-servers."

These forums are full of senseless GW2 against TERA battles, but dont't forget, that The Secret World is just around the corner with a lot of amazing ideas.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

SoulOfRaziel

Novice Member

5/06/12 9:11:05 PM#39

TERA is a good game.... but prob yes it might fail after a year or two

RebelScum99

Apprentice Member

5/06/12 9:19:37 PM#40

As the title says, what do you think the future holds for TERA. Will this game end up like RIFT for example, getting a decent amount of praise and still failing to hold up amongst the likes of WoW etc.

Or does this game have a bright future, if so why?

Hard to say, really.  I definitely don't think it's set up to fail, and although I don't think Rift is that good of a game, I certainly wouldn't consider it a failure, either.  

This game has a couple of positives going for it over Rift:  Combat and Environment.  Obviously, the combat in this game is far superior to Rift's, and the game world is much larger and much more fun and active than Rift's is.  This, in turn, will make leveling in TERA more enjoyable than it is in Rift.

Saying all that, the inverse is also true when talking about it's negatives compared to Rift:  The endgame content will not be as nearly as large as Rift's.  No raids, and untested political system, and rep grinds.  I never considered Rift's endgame very appealing because I'm sick of the raiding gear grind, which is literally ALL Rift has, but they do have a lot of it, and I understand that many folks will be turned off if TERA doesn't incorporate this into their game. 

But I will say this: I've played Rift and TERA both, and I feel TERA is a much better game due to the overall effort that Bluehole put into the leveling process.  It's simply much more fun, and the world is much more impressive, than it is in Rift. So they've got that going for them, but will need to add more endgame content to please the most people.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search