Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Landmark | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,848,309 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,794
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » Horrid questing

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
178 posts found
  Hestia

Novice Member

Love the Life You Live. Live the Life You Love

4/07/12 6:51:21 AM#41

TERA actually has pretty good story. I just finished an "open world" dungeon at level 32->34 and it was an amazing experience. Tutorial area is tutorial area. That's how it is and yes, I do agree the go kill this then that, once you reach higher level, there are much more content for you to explore. Especially once you get around level 20s, more options for you to do. Also, note that the game is still in BETA and they are always attempting to improve the game to suit our (Western players) play style. Check the patch notes on what they have to offer.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 6:56:47 AM#42

Indeed, it was refreshing to know that there are actual changes happening due to player suggestions in beta. According to the latest news, they are upping the game difficult, especially in the starter island and they are adding some extra tutorial area? Not sure about that. So this is a real beta, as opposed to the "press betas" which are basically demonstrations of the actual game.

GMan3

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 6:56:57 AM#43
Originally posted by Xasapis
Originally posted by bishbosh

OP would probably be happier in SW:TOR or any other single player rpg with coop.

from what i have read/heard TERA is also a singleplayer rpg with CO-OP. it shares the same  dungeon + battleground pvp grind + linear themepark questing.

Hardly. The main difference is that you have no choice in SW:TOR but to follow the linear path of questing to the T. While in Tera you can skip all quests (with maybe the exception of the storyline one) and play the game like that. Try playing in SW:TOR without doing any quests except your personal story and come tell us how it goes ;)

(Of course we can disregard that everything in SW:TOR is instanced and you hardly meet more than 10 people while adventuring, while in Tera every area is flooded with people. That can be a good or a bad thing of course, depending on the kind of server you're in. Open world PvP is certainly discouraged in SW:TOR. How many people did you kill outside Ilum in a PvP server? My count is zero and when I gave up on the game I was a battlemaster with the old system).

Actually Xasapis, I have already leveled a toon in SWTOR from 1 to 30 without doing any of the quests except my story line ones and it was VERY easy.  It actually took me less time to do it to since PvP and Space Combat give awesome experience.  I do admit that just killing random enemies does not give the greatest rewards, but since it is about the most boring grind doing that anyways, it never bothered me. 

One thing that I can't help but wonder though is if you actually played SWTOR at all.  Based on your post, I will say no since anyone that has PvP'd there, or done the space combat, know how good the xp and money rewards are from it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Kanester

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 7:06:40 AM#44

MMO's have always been Kill X amount, Collect X Amount. What did you think was going to be different in Tera?

As said , If you want millions of $ spent on voice overs etc go play SWTOR, Then get to max level and quit.

Maybe Tera isn't for you.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 7:07:47 AM#45

I did play the game, mostly wanted to dabble into PvP. I've played a sith sorceror in the Hydean way EU server as my main up to becoming battlemaster, but got tired by the repetition of the warzones. I didn't play more than the first couple space combat missions, but it was too repetitive a mini game to actually spend time on it. For me space combat was the equivalent of fishing, something you do while you need to kill time, not a main activity.

I'm glad that you enjoy your time in SW:TOR, it was enjoyable for me as well. Well, until I finished the personal quest line, which the equivalent of game over for a single player game. Then it was all about running warzones over and over until I got utterly bored and quit. Instance running was decent a few times, but was a horrid grind if you relied on them for gear (thankfully I wasn't) and raid content was broken and unplayble (unless you were a massochist).

(That btw took me the pre-launch time, one month and ten days from the second month. I couldn't force myself to log beyond that).

Please moderators, no more out of topic warnings, it was his fault ... /points finger.

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 7:08:26 AM#46
Originally posted by GMan3
Originally posted by bishbosh

OP would probably be happier in SW:TOR or any other single player rpg with coop.

from what i have read/heard TERA is also a singleplayer rpg with CO-OP. it shares the same  dungeon + battleground pvp grind + linear themepark questing.

Hardly. The main difference is that you have no choice in SW:TOR but to follow the linear path of questing to the T. While in Tera you can skip all quests (with maybe the exception of the storyline one) and play the game like that. Try playing in SW:TOR without doing any quests except your personal story and come tell us how it goes ;)

(Of course we can disregard that everything in SW:TOR is instanced and you hardly meet more than 10 people while adventuring, while in Tera every area is flooded with people. That can be a good or a bad thing of course, depending on the kind of server you're in. Open world PvP is certainly discouraged in SW:TOR. How many people did you kill outside Ilum in a PvP server? My count is zero and when I gave up on the game I was a battlemaster with the old system).

Actually Xasapis, I have already leveled a toon in SWTOR from 1 to 30 without doing any of the quests except my story line ones and it was VERY easy.  It actually took me less time to do it to since PvP and Space Combat give awesome experience.  I do admit that just killing random enemies does not give the greatest rewards, but since it is about the most boring grind doing that anyways, it never bothered me. 

One thing that I can't help but wonder though is if you actually played SWTOR at all.  Based on your post, I will say no since anyone that has PvP'd there, or done the space combat, know how good the xp and money rewards are from it.

you can tell how fun and wonderful, the quest system is in Swtor.  that everyone and their mother wanted to skip dialogs.

press Escape became a new mini game.

in Tera you can level up by grinding mobs only, if that's what you want.   all you need to do is pick a repeatable quest, and you can do it as many times as you want, without having to return to the npc,  then you can turn the quest in,  whenever you felt like it.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

4/07/12 7:10:54 AM#47
Originally posted by Kanester

MMO's have always been Kill X amount, Collect X Amount. What did you think was going to be different in Tera?

As said , If you want millions of $ spent on voice overs etc go play SWTOR, Then get to max level and quit.

you dont need millions of dollars for voice overs... BW did that because they wanted to hire famous actors to do the voice and presume the price they paid. You can always hire talented people that are not even actors and get awesome voice overs for less money.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 7:13:03 AM#48
Originally posted by rojo6934
Originally posted by Kanester

you dont need millions of dollars for voice overs... BW did that because they wanted to hire famous actors to do the voice and presume the price they paid. You can always hire talented people that are not even actors and get awesome voice overs for less money.

by the time, we see something so radically different in a MMO.  you and me, probably gonna be long dead.

BadSpock

Elite Member

Logic be damned!

4/07/12 7:13:38 AM#49

I got an invite for this weekends beta, thought about it really hard (because I have played in one of the previous weekend betas) and decided not to re-download and install.

Why?

The horrid questing.

The combat and art style / graphics I thought were amazing and fun, but my lord was the questing horrid and I am not a big fan of simply grinding mobs, solo or group - even in a game with a fun combat system.

I think I am just done with the whole static linear questing thing.

Now Playing:
Looking Towards: Destiny

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 7:17:44 AM#50
Originally posted by BadSpock

I got an invite for this weekends beta, thought about it really hard (because I have played in one of the previous weekend betas) and decided not to re-download and install.

Why?

The horrid questing.

The combat and art style / graphics I thought were amazing and fun, but my lord was the questing horrid and I am not a big fan of simply grinding mobs, solo or group - even in a game with a fun combat system.

I think I am just done with the whole "quest grind/instance dungeon/PvP to level cap then PvP/Raid/more dungeon" thing.

welcome to MMO.  you would hate every single MMO then with the exception of Swtor

if quest are so important for you,  i think you would love Swtor.   or single player games, like Dragon age and Mass Effect.

deniter

Elite Member

4/07/12 7:19:59 AM#51

The 'kill 10 of these and 10 of these mobs' -quests are meant only for a guide to kill right level mobs. What's more important is the drops and what you can do with them.

I'm already sick and tired of this WoW-style questing where you're given a quest to kill some mobs, which don't drop anything worth more than crap, but upon delivery the quest giver hands you more exp and gold than what you got from the mobs you just killed, along with a green or blue quality piece of equipment and/or some potions/elixirs.

All this for killing 5-10 mobs that didn't make you even sweat.

One part of the mystery and excitement in MMOs come from looting mobs; you never know when that rare item happens to drop for you. And even the common drops should be worth to pick up. Mobs in today's MMOs exists only for one purpose: to complete a quest. You can get your gear, skills, reputations, exp, etc. by doing (daily) quests, running easy dungeons hundreads of times for some tokens you can exchange to something else, doing PvP (which often means killing helpless noobs), or playing some mini-games with no relevance to the game itself.

The ideal MMO would be one which could combine all the elements I mentioned above. So, in order to progress further in the game you, as a player, should master all of them in certain extent. This means it should be impossible to advance to max level/rank by doing only quests, or by doing anything else but grind mobs. This would make the gaming experience more interesting as you were forced to not do the same activity over and over again a.k.a grind.

So, I guess I went slightly off-topic but as I see it, questing is not the biggest issue in these games, it's everything else and how the features interact with each others.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 7:24:18 AM#52

Well, in this case, if in Tera you focus on killing mobs exclusively, then you generate more income than somebody that does quests exclusively. However, the guy who does the quests levels faster. So, imo it's a decent tradeoff.

BadSpock

Elite Member

Logic be damned!

4/07/12 7:31:24 AM#53
Originally posted by Nadya3
Originally posted by BadSpock

Why?

The horrid questing.

I think I am just done with the whole "quest grind/instance dungeon/PvP to level cap then PvP/Raid/more dungeon" thing.

welcome to MMO.  you would hate every single MMO then with the exception of Swtor

if quest are so important for you,  i think you would love Swtor.   or single player games, like Dragon age and Mass Effect.

lol quests are not at all important to me, I think you've got the wrong guy - I very much dislike traditional MMO questing.. which TOR has far too much of at the expense of everything else.

Thanks though, nice try!

Now Playing:

aesperus

Elite Member

4/07/12 7:33:42 AM#54

Well, in this case, if in Tera you focus on killing mobs exclusively, then you generate more income than somebody that does quests exclusively. However, the guy who does the quests levels faster. So, imo it's a decent tradeoff.

This doesn't really seem like a good set of options, tbh. Both seem very grind-heavy. If the entire game is this way, then what makes the pvp worth all that, just to get to a lvl where it's playable? I do enjoy the action-oriented combat, but it really does seem like there is way too much of a timesink to get into the real meat of the game.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 7:36:41 AM#55

You do level rather fast, so the grind should be somewhere else. In any case, what we call grind is something we don't really enjoy, something we "have" to do in order to reach the good part of a game. If combat in Tera is a grind, then I don't think the game is meant for whoever finds it a grind.

(this coming from me that wish I could do the slayer deeds in LOTRO with the combat of Tera, hehe).

Offtopic warning:

At this point I'm more interested in news from PAX and TSW. I know what Tera has to offer and I'm going to enjoy my time until TSW arrives. Then it'll be a competition for my attention between the two. Then whichever wins will be played for two months, until GW2 arrives in the end of summer and then a new competition will commence).

Oh, and Badspock loves his GW2, at least the concept of it.

BadSpock

Elite Member

Logic be damned!

4/07/12 7:47:00 AM#56

Oh, and Badspock loves his GW2, at least the concept of it.

Very true, I am in love with the concept and the idea of GW2 but I haven't played it yet.

I am probably going to be terribly, terribly disappointed, but I've kind of grown used to it being a fan of this genre for so long...

Tera combat is a step forward, but I don't think it's a big enough step forward.

This genre needs a LEAP forward - nothing has really changed since 2004 and that sucks.

Now Playing:

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 7:52:02 AM#57

I plan to play Tera and GW2,  playing both games, i won't have time to get bored.

i found a very cool place in  CB4 Tera,  been exploring alot lately.

deniter

Elite Member

4/07/12 7:52:47 AM#58
Originally posted by aesperus

This doesn't really seem like a good set of options, tbh. Both seem very grind-heavy. If the entire game is this way, then what makes the pvp worth all that, just to get to a lvl where it's playable? I do enjoy the action-oriented combat, but it really does seem like there is way too much of a timesink to get into the real meat of the game.

In all respect, if you only care about PvP there's lots of FPS and Action-RPG games out there with no levels or gear.

However, when we have a game like TERA or some other MMORPG with levels/gear, one huge part of the game should be getting those levels and improving your equipment an skills. Otherwise we only have an FPS/action-RPG glued over an MMORPG as a mini-game. This is why I've never liked this so called PVP-gear in these games, especially if it's acquired by doing nothing else but killing other players. As I said in my previous post, all features should interact with each others, and if one of the features is PvP, threre should be something outside of PVP feature to improve your PvP performance.

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 7:59:51 AM#59
Originally posted by aesperus

Well if you don't want to grind or time sink than you shouldn't be playing mmorpgs. They are build to be time sinks, they make money by making player keep playing their game and eating away every second of their free time as they can. If you don't want time sink than play single player games. All mmorpgs will be time sinks, w/o it people get bored really quickly. Unless your playing for the sake of e-sprot, which few people do, if you don't have to lvl or have nothing to farm and just go stright in to the "content" well you be bored of it with in 2 weeks just like most single player games. It was fun but doesn't do anything for long term like mmorpgs need to be.

If you don't wish to go through the grind or time sink than fps would be more in the direction you want to go.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 8:09:27 AM#60

I don't really agree with that. It is true that every hobby is a time sink for whoever is looking it from outside and is not really enjoy or understand it (how many people have they told you that gaming is a waste of time?). Thing is, if you enjoy what you're doing, then it's not really a grind, even if it is repetitive by nature. Even sex is repetitive by nature but I didn't see anyone complain because you go in and out all the time.

I agree on one thing. mmorpgs need gear to matter in a degree. If gear are totally irrelevant, then we're not really playing an mmorpg but a moba or something else. gear + skill + environment is what makes mmorpg interesting and different than other more streamlined games.

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search