Trending Games | WildStar | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,513 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,672
Bluehole Studio | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » My TERA short story from this weekend...

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
59 posts found
  Impulse47

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/20/03
Posts: 167

Banned

 
OP  2/26/12 11:30:49 PM#1

This is not a review, but merely an experience I thought I would share from my time spent on one of the PvP servers this weekend.

 

I was leveling my Slayer (for those unfamiliar, a sword dps class with some minor evasion utilities) not far outside of Lumbertown.  I had just initiated a fight with a panther when out of the corner of my eye I see a quick flash of someone's red name just as they run behind a tree roughly 50 meters away.  My heart leaps, and the excitement brings me back to the days of Darktide.  Do I abandon my fight with the panther and run for safety?  Do I hope and pray that he didn't see me?  Am I outmatched?  Am I outleveled?  I swivel my camera in his direction while fumbling to maintain my concentration on the monster attacking me.  Before I have a chance to make a decision, there he is.  Running right at me with an axe larger than my entire body.  The panther is at about 30% life.  I am at about 60% life.  I pretend I don't see him.  Maybe he thinks I'm not paying attention and that I'm an easy kill.  He stops 4 feet behind me and draws his axe behind him.  It begins to glow.  I am now at 100% concentration.  I can sense his release.  An hour seems to pass in one second.  I flinch.  I dodge with a graceful backflip over his head precisely as his axe slams into the ground where I once stood, killing the panther in its wake.  I land on my feet and sweep my sword low, knocking him off of his feet.  Level no longer matters.  Equipment no longer matters.  I don't bother trying to inspect him.  He is now my prey.  I slice twice quickly at my fallen foe.  Blood flies from my blade and traces lines into the grass.  He jumps to his feet and begins to run toward the same safe area I once thought of running before.  Not today.  I dash and impale my sword into my foe's back.  He falls to his knees.  I have become the PK.

 

Despite its shortfalls, this is why I will be playing TERA.

  User Deleted
2/26/12 11:34:54 PM#2

i really did have the more fun with the pvp than i have had with any game in a long time.  i must have pvp'd for 2 or 3 hours on the lumbertown bridge.

  Cthulhu23

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/03/11
Posts: 1027

2/26/12 11:37:26 PM#3

Melodrama much?

  rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/02/11
Posts: 1439

2/26/12 11:39:49 PM#4

That and grouping up in mob of 17 people waititng for the guild we are in war with to start their 10v10 pratice death match against each other only to rush in too early and found out there was more like 30+ people and we were outnumber like 3 to 1 and got total rhaped =X It was great the tension build up from planing a sneak attack and all, only down side was many people had rendering issue where if you don't stay near them long enough they are just a floating name. Hope they fix it soon.

  Sovrath

Elite Member

Joined: 1/06/05
Posts: 16939

2/26/12 11:39:58 PM#5

I have to say that my pvp experience wasn't so exciting but did learn that I love pvping on a Lancer. Me and a Slayer kept wackign at each other until we both had a small amount left.

In the end I was the victor and it solidified that I could at least pvp on the thing.

 

Hope Lancers can kill other players as well or else it's going to be a bumpy ride.

  teakbois

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/06/06
Posts: 2190

2/26/12 11:46:32 PM#6
Originally posted by brody71
Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Melodrama much?

[mod edit]

Unless this was his frst time pvping in any game, he wasnt being very honest.  It was hyped up to the point of ridiculousness.

 

Any PvP encounter where you kill your opponent in 4 hits isnt all that exciting IMO.  He was obviously playing against an unskilled player who was easy meat.

  teakbois

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/06/06
Posts: 2190

2/27/12 12:03:15 AM#7

What an amazing response you have.  I love how people that respond with some honesty are labeled trolls.   So, you consider honesty to be trolling, what does that say about your stance then?

 

You *really* think the op wasnt being melodramatic?

  Teala

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 7429

"Really officer, they're herbs."

2/27/12 12:08:25 AM#8
Originally posted by Impulse47

This is not a review, but merely an experience I thought I would share from my time spent on one of the PvP servers this weekend.

 

I was leveling my Slayer (for those unfamiliar, a sword dps class with some minor evasion utilities) not far outside of Lumbertown.  I had just initiated a fight with a panther when out of the corner of my eye I see a quick flash of someone's red name just as they run behind a tree roughly 50 meters away.  My heart leaps, and the excitement brings me back to the days of Darktide.  Do I abandon my fight with the panther and run for safety?  Do I hope and pray that he didn't see me?  Am I outmatched?  Am I outleveled?  I swivel my camera in his direction while fumbling to maintain my concentration on the monster attacking me.  Before I have a chance to make a decision, there he is.  Running right at me with an axe larger than my entire body.  The panther is at about 30% life.  I am at about 60% life.  I pretend I don't see him.  Maybe he thinks I'm not paying attention and that I'm an easy kill.  He stops 4 feet behind me and draws his axe behind him.  It begins to glow.  I am now at 100% concentration.  I can sense his release.  An hour seems to pass in one second.  I flinch.  I dodge with a graceful backflip over his head precisely as his axe slams into the ground where I once stood, killing the panther in its wake.  I land on my feet and sweep my sword low, knocking him off of his feet.  Level no longer matters.  Equipment no longer matters.  I don't bother trying to inspect him.  He is now my prey.  I slice twice quickly at my fallen foe.  Blood flies from my blade and traces lines into the grass.  He jumps to his feet and begins to run toward the same safe area I once thought of running before.  Not today.  I dash and impale my sword into my foe's back.  He falls to his knees.  I have become the PK.

 

Despite its shortfalls, this is why I will be playing TERA.

I can still remember the first kill I made in AC/Darktide.   It was near Sawato in the swamps.   So I can easily relate to the feeling you are having right now. 

  User Deleted
2/27/12 12:12:36 AM#9

Can't have a TERA thread without the party-pooper brigade. They're not trolls, just party-poopers.

Party-poopers. They want you to be just as miserable as them and not having fun as they are.

  teakbois

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/06/06
Posts: 2190

2/27/12 12:22:32 AM#10
Originally posted by NBlitz

Can't have a TERA thread without the party-pooper brigade. They're not trolls, just party-poopers.

Party-poopers. They want you to be just as miserable as them and not having fun as they are.

[mod edit]

Your hypothesis is wrong though.  Words said on an internet board arent going to spoil anyones fun.

 

People need to knock off the hyperbole though, its only going to make people expect too much when trying the game out.

  Sojhin

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/19/04
Posts: 147

2/27/12 12:29:10 AM#11

I have had meetings of the same nature on my slayer as well as my warrior for that matter. The backflip evade function is a interesting twist to would be attackers. Regardless of my views on the game I enjoyed the read, good story op.

 

Besides the combat which was fun--plus a mixed bag--I have myself no desire to play the game further then this beta weekend.

  tom_gore

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 1803

2/27/12 12:37:27 AM#12

Cool story, bro.

 

But can't deny TERA combat and PvP isn't fun. Demands more of player skill than any other AAA MMO out there.

 

  Isawa

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/20/08
Posts: 1066

2/27/12 12:51:47 AM#13

What determines who fights who on a pvp server? Can anyone just enter that mode, or is it a race divide or something?

  Inf666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/22/04
Posts: 495

2/27/12 12:53:21 AM#14
Originally posted by teakbois
Originally posted by brody71
Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Melodrama much?

just being honest. troll much?

Unless this was his frst time pvping in any game, he wasnt being very honest.  It was hyped up to the point of ridiculousness.

 

Any PvP encounter where you kill your opponent in 4 hits isnt all that exciting IMO.  He was obviously playing against an unskilled player who was easy meat.

Killing players in 4 hits is FAR more exciting than 12312312 hits with no movement because of homing-skills. You need to be very careful and do the correct thing at the correct time with good execution depending on your opponent. A mistake at the wrong time and you are dead. This means you need actual skill to be a good pvper. Oh I see now why you got angry...

 

As for easy meat: I think he rather put it all on one card. He wanted to use his super-high-dmg-stun skill with a 3 sec animation first because the victim seemed preoccupied with an npc. Didn't work out.

 

---
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

  nolic1

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/01/07
Posts: 673

2/27/12 12:54:17 AM#15

Well I can see where the fun was on the PvP server I tried both PvP and PvE and have to say had more fun on PvP then the PvE server. The combat in this game is good wish it was more like DCUO or Dragon Nest but fun and didn't care much for quest hubs ether. Some of the story quests where good on the starter island but after they kinda seemed slow. Got to 27 on both my toons one was a priest he was on PvE and my Slayer was on PvP. Crafting was same old crafting as in most game the questing was the same but the PvP was insane you where always watching your back so grouped alot there not so much on PvE. The dugeons where Meh and seemed easy but did see the new one they opened and wasent all that fun wish there were alot more of them. The game is more of ethier a B2P or F2P didn't seem like a P2P game to me but was good though.

 

Glade you had fun I could write a few storys about PvP but figured I wrote enough.


To me I enjoy gaming I dont play to be uber I play to have fun. If a game is not fun to me guess what I move on and play something else till I find one that is. When I find that great game and not sure if in my life time there will be one I hope it has everything I want in an mmo.

  Sinaku

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 440

2/27/12 12:56:56 AM#16


Originally posted by Sovrath
I have to say that my pvp experience wasn't so exciting but did learn that I love pvping on a Lancer. Me and a Slayer kept wackign at each other until we both had a small amount left.
In the end I was the victor and it solidified that I could at least pvp on the thing.
 
Hope Lancers can kill other players as well or else it's going to be a bumpy ride.


Lancers are the best pvpers in group in my opinion (since this is a group based pvp game shouldn't be a problem. A priest and I (a decent skilled warrior) lost to a lancer priest combo. Super fun PvP game. Always got annoyed that I got ganked to hell in lumbertown but after that it was pretty smooth with some groups running at times.

  marcust

Existentialist

Joined: 12/12/03
Posts: 434

2/27/12 1:03:17 AM#17

OP you have renewed my interest, however it is still tempered by the thought of having to do this with 250 ping.

Just out of interest, how long are inductions in this game.

The length of inductions in Lotro is one of the reasons the pvp is playable even with high ping.

 

Playing: Darkfall
Also played and worth mentioning: UO (Oceania), WoW (Thaurissan), Lineage2 (Lionna), Lotro (Crickhollow)

  Inf666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/22/04
Posts: 495

2/27/12 1:08:45 AM#18
Originally posted by marcust

OP you have renewed my interest, however it is still tempered by the thought of having to do this with 250 ping.

Just out of interest, how long are inductions in this game.

The length of inductions in Lotro is one of the reasons the pvp is playable even with high ping.

 

Please excuse my language skills. Can you explain what 'induction' means in the MMO context?

---
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

  Ridelynn

Elite Member

Joined: 12/19/10
Posts: 3303

2/27/12 1:15:48 AM#19


Originally posted by Inf666


Originally posted by marcust
OP you have renewed my interest, however it is still tempered by the thought of having to do this with 250 ping.
Just out of interest, how long are inductions in this game.
The length of inductions in Lotro is one of the reasons the pvp is playable even with high ping.
 


Please excuse my language skills. Can you explain what 'induction' means in the MMO context?

Cast time, more or less. It's a LOTRO-specific term.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Induction

  Ridelynn

Elite Member

Joined: 12/19/10
Posts: 3303

2/27/12 1:16:58 AM#20

And to the OP- good story, I enjoyed it.

I dunno that it says much about the game, as with that much imagination you could make Pong sound like a great PvP battle, but I liked reading your story.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search