Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | Destiny | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,869,864 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,252,838
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » Why is Tera not more popular?

13 Pages First « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Search
245 posts found
  IXJac

Advanced Member

4/05/14 12:29:29 PM#221

I played TERA from launch, and quit after 12 months when my sub ran out.  By then I'd gotten one character to 60, and had played all the other classes except Mystic.  I just popped back in a few weeks ago to see how it was doing under F2P, and have not seen many changes.

TERA's problem is that it offers very little beyond its action combat system, and over the top fanservice.  The questing is boring and requires continual running back and forth, the plot is a mess (there's actually a good story buried in there, but it's told very poorly), and the environment design is uninspired and lacks detail and direction.  Overall, its very much an "old style" MMO design, just with an action combat system overlaid on top.

Even that combat system only shines in the dungeons and in boss fights - and aside from a few of the end level dungeons, most of the group content is now almost impossible to find a party for.  I remember there were some amazing fights against some of the dragon bosses in mid-levels, but you'll never be able to play that content now, because no one plays at those levels, and even if they did they wouldn't do those dungeons because the rewards are crap.

In the open world against normal mobs the combat is much less fun than that of GW2 (the game I left TERA for).  The mobs have too much HP, and the game goes out of its way to keep you fighting them one at a time, or in linked pairs.  These fights squander the potential of TERA's combat system.  GW2 does a much better job in this regard (although in the inverse of TERA, GW2's group boss fights suck).

And then there's the community.  I don't recall it being particularly bad when I left, but now global chat is a toxic stew of racism and misogyny.  Since Google tells me this has been going on for some time, I assume En Masse simply doesn't care to moderate their community anymore.  The result is the most foul chat channel I've seen in any game, ever.

Not really something you want to define your MMO.

Gravehill

Apprentice Member

4/10/14 6:07:23 AM#222
Game has the worst NPC draw distance I've seen since the PS1/N64 era. I'm really surprised that people don't bring this up more. The game is alright but every object/mob/NPC popping up 2 feet in front of my face completely killed it for me. Not sure how that made it past the alpha
  Jabas

Elite Member

4/10/14 6:30:26 AM#223

i dont remembre why i quit playing Tera, i know i had fun playing Mystic there.

Only know it as something to do with Gameforge and end game.

The good thing i really remember is the battleground "Crossair ..." (dont recall the full name). An amazing instance pvp set up where only the team work make it win. I did like that mini-game.

r3volt21

Advanced Member

4/10/14 6:49:16 AM#224

I really enjoyed tera combat was great, I played a warrior prob one of the best take son the warrior class I have played was kind of warr/rogue style for me.

What caused me to stop was I hit a wall with progression I played while it was sub took a break then came bac when strikforce was the main pvp set.  The wall I am talking about  was the vision maker set, conjunct/ strikforce was easy to obtain quite annoying to +12 and roll perfect stats on which i did and did entirely playing the game (not buying emp and turning it into currency) by running lot solo alot for scrolls/ stuff to sell. then if i wanted to progress any further vision maker was my only option which is either drop aprox 2-500 real life money on emp and buy all the mats or farm ballisks/ the bigger ones in the ally zone for months which I wasnt prepared to do as a new gear set would come out and I would have to go through it all again.

In the end I was logging in running bg's (premade) and gvg with guildies which after a while got old, as the only way to get gvg points was hunt during nexus or look in the lfg for ppl in wonderholm as most guilds will just hide rather then fight and it got a little stale/old after a while.

but dont get me wrong it was/is a great game just lacking content and the vm2 grind was to much for me, ended up with 3 60's in full + 12 strike/whhm gear all rolled pvp stats so i played it for quite a while.

patlefort

Advanced Member

4/23/14 5:21:16 PM#225
I really liked the game, but bugs killed it for me. Performance bugs that cause huge FPS loses on bosses. 5-15 FPS is not playable. I have this problem on all setups that I tried. These are known and still not fixed to this date and probably never will be.
  Tolmos

Novice Member

6/27/14 1:37:44 PM#226

TERA was the game I wanted to like, but just didn't. The combat was a lot of fun, the political system sounded great and I imagine PvP is a real joy. 2 things held me back from the game

1) Leveling was soul draining. The story was quite possibly the least interesting I've experienced in a game. Any game. Pong had more of a story than this. Because of that, leveling was just a grind of killing monster after monster... and it took so many to get a level that it felt like it would never end.

2) The human male model. I'm sorry, but they look ridiculous. I play humans in every game, mostly because I lack imagination and also because... well, I'm human. I wouldn't even mind if the human males were designed to be eye candy for female players and were just overly perfected, but they don't even fit that category. They look deformed and silly. 0_o It kills me. I can't take a single make human in the game seriously.

Those 2 basically were what got me. I wanted to like, I really, really did. I just... couldn't overlook those 2, especially the first.

http://imgur.com/a/kU0qS
Players of Balmung- a compilation of different characters I've come across during my adventures in FFXIV ARR.

Sevala

Apprentice Member

6/27/14 1:51:37 PM#227

I thought both the combat and story line was pretty terrible.

The combat was slow, clunky, stop n go, click abilities, etc.

Character progression was pretty terrible once I saw it in action. Classes were pretty terrible.

Story line was just another lame standard bla bla bla your the one bla bla bla hero savior, bla bla bla rinse repeat. 10 seconds into the game it just became a click through all that stuff without paying attention, been there, done that too many times, don't care.

Quest hubs was pretty horrible as well. Never made it to crafting so cannot comment on that.

Even just trying it as a f2p game, it held my attention for about 2-3 hours before I had to get out and uninstall it. I know thats not a very good effort, but I've tried enough games to know what will and won't stick for myself, and this game basically offered nothing I would enjoy personally. For some though, I'm sure its right up their alley. To each their own.

~I am Many~

Amjoco

Elite Member

6/27/14 1:55:34 PM#228
I didn't read all the replies on this but I have 2 huge problems with the game. First the delay during combat everyone knows about, and the second is the player base. The chat in the game is the worst I have encountered. Other than that, it is a very good game imho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

TheQuietGamer

Novice Member

6/27/14 2:00:00 PM#229

My reasons: -

• Combat delay.  
  • Grindy levelling above about 25.  
  • Bad community. 
  • Armoured bikinis 

wormed

Hard Core Member

6/27/14 3:27:58 PM#230

Anyone in this thread complaining about combat probably made it to level 10. The combat at level 60, with appropriate gear, is extremely fast paced, skillful and fluid. Out of all the reasons why TERA sucks, combat isn't even close to being on any list.

EDIT: Before someone says it isn't "fluid", learn the difference between animation delay and retarded shit like GCD but allowing you to move while you can't react for 2 seconds.

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

7/06/14 2:29:00 PM#231

There are many reasons why it's not popular, but here are mine.

A.) Combat:  People coming from other traditional MMOs will not like it, especially the UI, which requires switching between different modes.

B.) Asian Environment:  What i mean by this, is that the mobs, themes, armor, etc., have an asian flavor to them.  It's not going to click with the Western culture.

C.) Another "Themepark":  It has the same staples of all the other MMOs out there.  Questing, Dungeons, PvP, etc..  People want something different.

D.) Character Models, Races, Restrictions:  Models look bland and generic.  Some Races are gender-locked.

Thamoris

Advanced Member

Never argue with idiots. They just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

8/09/14 12:09:48 PM#232

I'm having fun playing Tera, but the UI is awkward to say the least.

grimal

Spotlight Poster

8/09/14 12:13:55 PM#233

Can't speak for anyone else.  But I found the questing  to be absolutely horrible.  I liked the combat and the PVP but that was not enough to get over the uninspired questing/lore.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

LacedOpium

Elite Member

8/09/14 12:36:20 PM#234
Originally posted by observer

There are many reasons why it's not popular, but here are mine.

A.) Combat:  People coming from other traditional MMOs will not like it, especially the UI, which requires switching between different modes.

B.) Asian Environment:  What i mean by this, is that the mobs, themes, armor, etc., have an asian flavor to them.  It's not going to click with the Western culture.

C.) Another "Themepark":  It has the same staples of all the other MMOs out there.  Questing, Dungeons, PvP, etc..  People want something different.

D.) Character Models, Races, Restrictions:  Models look bland and generic.  Some Races are gender-locked.

Really wish you'd quit writing like you speak for the entirety of the Western culture.  We get it.  YOU don't like Asian themed MMOs.  You, however, do not speak for all of us.  Many of us in the West love the mobs, themes, armor and overall style of Asian MMOs, and especially the style, armor, and overall graphics in TERA.  TERA is a beautifully designed game.  I am pretty sure most gamers would agree.  Stop make statements of fact like you represent the entirety of the Western culture.  You don't.  Speak for yourself.

Prettying-up wrong by dressing it up as opinion does not negate the fact that it is still wrong.

Tyr216

Hard Core Member

8/09/14 12:47:41 PM#235

I like TERA's combat although the only class I played was the Slayer. I just couldn't get past the dreadfully boring leveling process. You're either killing things or collecting things and the story didn't really suck me in to make the questing less painful. Then there's the whole anime art style influence with the Elin and Popori races. I usually play on RP servers in any game that has them and on TERA's, I've never seen such high levels of public debauchery since the height of Moonguard's prominence as the ERP capital of MMO servers. I'll spare you all the graphic details but when guilds are openly advertising ERP in their recruitment posts in public chat channels, you can just imagine what else is going on out in the open.

Tokken

Hard Core Member

"I'm your Huckleberry!"

8/09/14 12:50:36 PM#236

The chat community sucks.... I like the game but the community is bad

UO, EQ, DAoC, SWG, WOW, EQ2, CoH, CoX, VG, Aion, STO, CO, DCUO, LOTRO, Tera, SWTOR, GW2, DP, NW, TSW, MH, DDO, Rift, WS, ESO, Trove, LM

Octagon7711

Elite Member

Devs please nerf paper it's overpowered I'm rock which is fine scissors are fine.

8/09/14 12:53:30 PM#237
Originally posted by Alders
Originally posted by g4m3sh4rk
Ok, so, I present a new question. What would make Tera better then it is right now? A more fluid directional based combat system, Raids, better pvp, more lands to explore?

Fluid combat (remove animation locks except for long casts)

Dynamic event system over quest hubs

More classes (this is needed in every newer MMO)

Raids (5-6 man content is not enough)

Exploration (huge game world with danger)

Housing

The above is what could be applied to every new MMO.

+1

GW2 dynamic events are the best to me.  Some dynamic event chains can take you through a large section of a zone.

Djevik

Apprentice Member

8/09/14 12:56:37 PM#238

Tera is good and was fun key word "was"

I played int he beta stages up to Alliance shit,

World pvp isnt there anymore and everyone just runs to safe zones and the game is a zerg fest now, I sold my account for 150 bucks which it was much more, only 2 characters that where not max with an item lvl of 160 when I sold it..

to make money in the game and good money you have to sub and do your dailies all day everyday on all your characters.. Equipment in dungeons is 80% bound on pick up so its rough making money through gear since the change to bound and unbound in dungeon runs.. and you can only run some 1-2x a day depending if you are a sub player or not..

once you start rolling in your pve gear you can roll to your pvp gear which doesnt take along to get if you hit the bg's hard.. getting your VM1 gear to get VM2 is a bit more rough, Idk about now but VM gear was always rough to get..

Typical day for me before I quit

DO all dailies

BG a couple games

Kill some alliance bams

go 1v1 outside of that one shitty city

sit there and talk to some friends for a bit

Log off b/c of being to bored.. not much goes on in Tera anymore since a lot of the top pvp guilds at my time left for better games..

Braindome

Hard Core Member

8/09/14 1:06:22 PM#239

I think Tera is the greatest example of just how hard it is to break into this genre with a "new concept".

More like an ARPG/MMORPG hybrid, where most people in this genre are used to tab targetting, macroing and the like and want small upgrades that support those old school elements and do not break those considered addictive elements.

I have no doubt that Tera has found and created a niche within the MMORPG genre and when you think about it that way it is quite impressive and has done quite well.

LacedOpium

Elite Member

8/09/14 1:15:27 PM#240
Originally posted by Tyr216

I like TERA's combat although the only class I played was the Slayer. I just couldn't get past the dreadfully boring leveling process. You're either killing things or collecting things and the story didn't really suck me in to make the questing less painful. Then there's the whole anime art style influence with the Elin and Popori races. I usually play on RP servers in any game that has them and on TERA's, I've never seen such high levels of public debauchery since the height of Moonguard's prominence as the ERP capital of MMO servers. I'll spare you all the graphic details but when guilds are openly advertising ERP in their recruitment posts in public chat channels, you can just imagine what else is going on out in the open.

Although I really like TERA overall, I have to agree with you though that the whole Elin thing has gotten out of hand in this game.  I won't go into detail about it.  We can all agree  we all love big girls in lingerie.  Apparently, in this game that was not enough.  They just had to have little girls in lingerie as well.  Little girls in lingerie??  Pretty sure that's against the law lol .  As much as I like TERA, I hope no other game takes this route again.  Just plain weird.

Prettying-up wrong by dressing it up as opinion does not negate the fact that it is still wrong.

13 Pages First « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Search