Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,531 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,677
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » Tera IP Block and why they suck as a company

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
40 posts found
  micropirate

Apprentice Member

OP  5/03/14 12:25:30 PM#1
Tera has adopted a horrible business practice that blocks users based on GEO-location IP addresses. For instance in the Philippines (and  the rest of South East Asia) one can not access either the North America or EU servers. The only available option is Taiwan or South Korea based servers. The problem is that neither of those servers are in English. So the large English speaking populations of South East Asia (and other locations deemed as "high risk"  by En Masse due to Hackers and Gold Farmers (because I guess those people don't live in the NA or EU). When I return to the my home in the USA I will not be playing Tera due to their heavy handed and draconian IP blocking practices. And people ask why the game is not more popular.
  Dakeru

Elite Member

5/03/14 12:32:08 PM#2

In all fairness this is probably one of the better choices they made. There are probably 10 RMT for every honest player in that area.

Skuall

Hard Core Member

5/03/14 12:35:42 PM#3

more companys need to do that :D

tired of rmt , bots and hackers/scammers 99% of them are from asia (in my experience )

User Deleted
5/03/14 12:36:29 PM#4
I wish more games would do this.  Blocking regional IP's and VPN's would go a really long way to cutting down on things like bots and gold selling.
  Arthasm

Elite Member

5/03/14 12:40:07 PM#5
Yeah, like IP blocks stopped all RMTs...
  Faune

Novice Member

5/03/14 12:46:17 PM#6

It's actually pretty common for companies to put a block on IP addresses for regions that have the same game.  Most of the time its not even the companies choice, but the developers choice as they are the ones who choose what companies get to use their game and under what terms.

Here is a wiki link that explains it better than I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

In short, its not the company hosting the games fault at all and you shouldn't blame them for a developers choice (this is what the host had to agree with in order to even host the game).

DamonVile

Elite Member

5/03/14 12:46:55 PM#7
They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.

There's a saying about evolution and why we have two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Clearly it didn't see the internet coming or it never would have given us ten fingers to type with.

flizzer

Elite Member

5/03/14 12:49:29 PM#8
Actually, this might be one of the least significant reasons for not playing TERA.  It is just a crappy game.  I advise most people to avoid it.  I  lasted less than a day in here.  The combat is dizzying and the quests are maybe the worst example of the quest hub type questing in MMOs. 
  Herzy

Apprentice Member

QueueAge...

5/03/14 12:53:25 PM#9
Originally posted by DamonVile
They probably did it because gameforge is such a crappy company everyone was playing on the NA server. TERA never had a problem with bots or gold spammers. The way the cash shop is set up made it too easy to get gold the legit way.

Just thinking about GF makes me see red.

Dakeru

Elite Member

5/03/14 1:01:02 PM#10

Hmm I am playing on the NA server - I'm at work so I can't check if I still have access.

Would be funny if I find out I was praising them here not knowing I am already blocked haha.

DamonVile

Elite Member

5/03/14 1:10:42 PM#11
Originally posted by Dakeru

Hmm I am playing on the NA server - I'm at work so I can't check if I still have access.

Would be funny if I find out I was praising them here not knowing I am already blocked haha.

I went and looked it up. It looks like you'e safe.

We Block IP Addresses Used By Hackers.

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior.

There's a saying about evolution and why we have two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Clearly it didn't see the internet coming or it never would have given us ten fingers to type with.

RabidMouth

Novice Member

5/03/14 2:19:05 PM#12
Ip blocking is a fairly common practice. I really do think that it cuts down on RMT as well. Sorry you can't play, but I would hardly crucify the whole company because they host a NA server and block IPs outside of North America.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

eyelolled

Advanced Member

I am more than some of my parts

5/03/14 2:33:16 PM#13

I think it's a good move and I hope more companies adopt the policy. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

Braindome

Hard Core Member

5/03/14 2:50:18 PM#14
Looks like this thread backfired and honestly how else can they mass stop hackers/crakers these days? Finally a company doing something on a much broader scope, sorry but this kind of stuff is needed especially considering the wide spread abusers.
  Skuall

Hard Core Member

5/04/14 3:16:09 AM#15
Originally posted by CowboyHat
Ip blocking is a fairly common practice. I really do think that it cuts down on RMT as well. Sorry you can't play, but I would hardly crucify the whole company because they host a NA server and block IPs outside of North America.

as EU player i can play Tera NA , and since i despise gameforge i played Aion on NA too (waaaaaay better f2p)

this ip blocks have nothing to do with game published by other company in other continent and more to stop boting / rmt / scams / hacks ect.

Dont get me wrong sadly NA/EU players do that too .

fodell54

Novice Member

Swift as the windQuiet as the forestConquer like the fireSteady as the mountain-Sun Tzu

5/12/14 2:07:17 PM#16

Tera most defiantly had a problem with gold spammer when the game first came out.

Enik

Advanced Member

5/29/14 5:46:52 PM#17
Originally posted by flizzer
Actually, this might be one of the least significant reasons for not playing TERA.  It is just a crappy game.  I advise most people to avoid it.  I  lasted less than a day in here.  The combat is dizzying and the quests are maybe the worst example of the quest hub type questing in MMOs. 

The combat is "dizzying" only to people too incompetent to adapt to anything that isn't tab-targeting. Oh, and "less than a day"--at least you gave it to level 5 or 6 to make up your mind :rolleyes:

AzureSkies

Advanced Member

8/17/14 11:44:19 AM#18

Slight thread necro, but I was just so surprised with these posts, and they're similar to many on TERA NA's forums. Just gotta say this: 

I'm a Malaysian, played WoW, iRO, RIFT, SWTOR and a bunch of other MMOs. I don't hack or bot or do RMT, and many of my fellow, gaming countrymen don't either. And we're still IP blocked despite being psyched for the game.

The racist generalizations and stereotypes I keep getting from TERA NA players is appalling, like in this thread. Really, guys, this isn't the 50s anymore. Quit thinking other people are [insert skin color]  monsters out to steal your money and babies. Sheesh.

Granted, this thread isn't half as bad as those on the official forums, but still. smh

Ardnut

Advanced Member

smartphones - invented to make people stupid

8/17/14 11:50:16 AM#19
and i suppose people dont use proxys to get around this ip ban? how can they tell if someone's using a vpn or one of the many free proxies out there?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
Whats your excuse?

botrytis

Hard Core Member

8/17/14 11:55:26 AM#20

Most companies do this. It is just not En Masse. I know Trion does that as well as A.Net.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

2 Pages 1 2 » Search