Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,886 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,713
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » About to start playing TERA

8 posts found
  Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

OP  12/15/13 12:54:52 AM#1

Downloading the game as is a friend of mine that I play with most of the time. I noticed that racial stats may make a difference in play style, but as a duo, I am wondering if this game is like GW2 where DPS is more important than tanking or heals.

Anyhow, any TERA veterans that have some advice as to which race / classes 2 people could play to effectively progress through the game, please feel free to drop a comment below.

As of right now, I was looking at maybe 2 DPS Castanic for increased back damage while one holds aggro. Unless you think a Tank class can actually hold aggro while someone is DPSing the crap out of it.

MrMelGibson

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 2:02:22 AM#2
Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Downloading the game as is a friend of mine that I play with most of the time. I noticed that racial stats may make a difference in play style, but as a duo, I am wondering if this game is like GW2 where DPS is more important than tanking or heals.

Anyhow, any TERA veterans that have some advice as to which race / classes 2 people could play to effectively progress through the game, please feel free to drop a comment below.

As of right now, I was looking at maybe 2 DPS Castanic for increased back damage while one holds aggro. Unless you think a Tank class can actually hold aggro while someone is DPSing the crap out of it.

Tera uses a trinity system.  Unlike GW2.  2 dps are exactly that 2 dps.  If you want one of you to tank, you need to choose a tank class such as the lancer or warrior.  The races in the game are really more cosmetic, play what races you want to play and don't worry about advantages, they are very minimal at best.  And also, no dps class will hold better aggro then a tank class.

DamonVile

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 2:05:55 AM#3

race doesn't really make a difference, you're better off picking one you like the look of. Any duo is viable and a tank should easily be able to hold agro. Agro isn't really a factor for tanks till end game.

I found my fastest/easiest duo was a healer/dps Most dps can kill a bam pretty easy with a healer. A tank/dps takes a bit more skill. Some bams poison etc and are a bit harder to do without a healer ( really depends on skill level )

2 dps is still viable. Just lvl with health regen crystals and you'll have very little down time.

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

OP  12/15/13 3:07:01 AM#4
I think I like the DPS / Healer combo actually since it worked very well in Aion and I'd expect it would probably work similarly here. Question now is, which class to go with for DPS and if a Mystic is a good enough healer or if Priest is the only way to go.

MrMelGibson

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 3:57:56 AM#5
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
I think I like the DPS / Healer combo actually since it worked very well in Aion and I'd expect it would probably work similarly here. Question now is, which class to go with for DPS and if a Mystic is a good enough healer or if Priest is the only way to go.

All classes are viable.  Best advise I can give you is play what you like best.

DamonVile

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 5:27:09 AM#6

I have a 60 priest and a 50 mystic. The main difference between them is the mystic has less healing options but more utility. I healed every dungeon up to 50 with my mystic with no issues. At 60 the mystic gets it's crit buff that makes it welcome in any raid. They have more damage options and their pets can sort of tank bams as you duo, although we found it better to use a dps pet and just heal the dps instead. That would probably depend on if you go ranged dps or not.

The biggest negative to the mystic is it's lack of healing options. You only ever get 1 direct heal that can only heal up to 3 people ( with a glyph ) otherwise they drop healing balls that dps/tanks can pick up and that's the only way you can heal yourself. It also has a totem you get at high lvl that does an aoe hot. If you play with people that face tank everything, keeping them alive can be a lot of work. Unlike tab target games though...the dps can avoid most damage, if they pay attention.

There's no real shortage of priests, but obviously something you can't do without. In wonderholm the ideal healing set up is one mystic one priest so no matter what you pick both will be useful.

MrMelGibson

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 9:16:26 AM#7
Originally posted by DamonVile

I have a 60 priest and a 50 mystic. The main difference between them is the mystic has less healing options but more utility. I healed every dungeon up to 50 with my mystic with no issues. At 60 the mystic gets it's crit buff that makes it welcome in any raid. They have more damage options and their pets can sort of tank bams as you duo, although we found it better to use a dps pet and just heal the dps instead. That would probably depend on if you go ranged dps or not.

The biggest negative to the mystic is it's lack of healing options. You only ever get 1 direct heal that can only heal up to 3 people ( with a glyph ) otherwise they drop healing balls that dps/tanks can pick up and that's the only way you can heal yourself. It also has a totem you get at high lvl that does an aoe hot. If you play with people that face tank everything, keeping them alive can be a lot of work. Unlike tab target games though...the dps can avoid most damage, if they pay attention.

There's no real shortage of priests, but obviously something you can't do without. In wonderholm the ideal healing set up is one mystic one priest so no matter what you pick both will be useful.

If your tank is face tanking in Tera.  They are doing it wrong.  Priest is the safe healer, usually better for pugs etc.  Mystics are preferred for any progression group for it's utility and dmg increase.  Both are useful and you can't go wrong with either.  Priest is just a bit easier to play.

Keldor837

Hard Core Member

12/30/13 10:45:05 PM#8

I'm just now returning to Tera, as I played when it first went f2p and left when friends started up in another game. I never got to end game but from what I did experience then compared to now. The game has been turned into easy-mode until lvl30 or so compared to what it used to, but I've been told it scales back to normal ranges when you get toward end game. If you're going with a dps/healer I would recommend going with a Warrior/Mystic for duo.

The Warrior (especially late game) puts out the highest dps when drawn out over a longer course of time, especially with the new relic weapons and how often they crit when enchanted. So while at lower levels this means nothing, at higher levels fighting BAMs can sometimes take awhile and a Warrior will not only be able to consistently dps, but can alternate between dodging and blocking if you use Defensive Stance (downside is you'll nerf your dmg, but it makes the fight more forgiving while you learn the BAMs moves). Couple the Warrior's survivability/dps mix along with a Mystic that has a good mix of healing and damage compared to Priest. You can efficiently and safely take down BAMs.

This is something which I've strategize from what I know of each class. You could certainly run a Sorc or Archer and just range kite the BAM...but that gets tedious and rather bland for the DPS after awhile imo. I don't recommend Slayer as the DPS choice though, as some of the BAMs which use faster or more frequent attacks give them issues. As you can only use Dodge just so much and then have to continuously side-step. Zerks have a similar issue, while they can safely block attacks to a certain extent. Their hardest hitting moves require time to charge up, and if you don't have time to charge them before needing to block then your dmg is lower.

This is just my two cents though, take it as you will.