Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,960 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,577
Bluehole Studio | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » Horrid questing

9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
178 posts found
  Sythion

Novice Member

OP  4/07/12 3:24:36 AM#1

I played the beta for about an hour. In that time I encountered:

3 quest hubs

7 kill and turn in quests.

1 main quest that involved going to other quest hubs.

There wasn't even an attempt to justify the quests. NPCs pretty much said "Go do this. It will be good for you."

WHY DO PLAYERS ACCEPT THIS?!?

The worst thing was it took me an hour to do this crap and I encountered nothing redeemable in that time. When I got my most recent quest it provided a reward that was 150% my level, because I skipped the crap quests I didn't want to do. That means I have only two options: grind, or grind and walk back to a quest hub.

It's a shame because it looks like there is a lot of opportunity for interesting combat and gameplay, but I'm never going to be able to experience it because I'm not willing to wade through 50 hours of fecal matter to get there.

pacov

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 3:31:02 AM#2

It's a shame your thread will get flamed by people talking how you didn't even finish tutorial.. well i said it ahead of time.. the game should grab your attention at level 1.. not after level 20

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 3:53:59 AM#3

Because I and other people don't give a damn about quest. I never read them, I rather have good combat system and solid pvp and end game than a game with the best storyline but once you done with it in 2 weeks there i nothing left to fucking do.

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 4:20:07 AM#4

OP would probably be happier in SW:TOR or any other single player rpg with coop.

User Deleted
4/07/12 4:25:27 AM#5

With you 100 % however it is not just the questing.

Until last week I had a pre-order and had been in every beta even both na and eu, and kept hoping the game would eventually get better.

Honestly the only positive I have to offer is the CS is quick and friendly about giving pre-order refunds.

Connmacart

Novice Member

4/07/12 4:33:12 AM#6
Originally posted by rexzshadow

Because I and other people don't give a damn about quest. I never read them, I rather have good combat system and solid pvp and end game than a game with the best storyline but once you done with it in 2 weeks there i nothing left to fucking do.

Why do you bothe playing MMO's then. You clearly don't give a rats ass about the world your character inhabits. There are much better PvP games out there that don't make you go through hoops to get where clearly you want to be.

I agree that the questing was the biggest reason I got turned off. Either the journey needs to be interesting or it should let me skip it all together.

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 4:40:36 AM#7

to each their own.    i suggest you to play Swtor, or Mass Effect single player game  if you want quests with voice overs and a solid story.    i rather play a MMO,  so questing to me is nothing but a means to an end.

i don't ever read quests in a MMO, because basically they are all the same,  and not just in tera but even in Swtor.  go kill this ,

bring that, kill some more, come back etc.

if i want good stories, i rather read a book, wich is better than any game,

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 4:47:09 AM#8
Originally posted by Connmacart
Originally posted by rexzshadow

Why do you bothe playing MMO's then. You clearly don't give a rats ass about the world your character inhabits. There are much better PvP games out there that don't make you go through hoops to get where clearly you want to be.

I agree that the questing was the biggest reason I got turned off. Either the journey needs to be interesting or it should let me skip it all together.

Ummm MMO = massive multi online meaning I play it for the people first. To me quest are mean to a end, hell I pure grind most game, quest were always just ext boost to me. I see the game world as what the players make it to be.

aesperus

Elite Member

4/07/12 4:49:18 AM#9

Pretty much my exact same experience. And if the general chat from TERA's beta is any indication, you are about to get flamed to high heaven any minute now. Seriously, probably one of the worst communities since Barrens.

The questing is stale, the combat isn't bad but takes far too long to really pickup (first 6 lvls or so are mainly spamming (1) for the majority of the classes, tossing out a 2ndary ability here & there). I lvled a couple characters through the tutorial, and while i was initially excited about the new world I was moving onto (which I was told is far better than the tutorial zone), I was greeted by the same generic 'kill boars' quests as from the first island. Furthermore, I had the pleasure of having to deal with a team of lvl 38s that were PKing all the low lvls @ their first quest hub.

People still are extremely passionate about this game, and the chat is flooded with talk about how everyone other game sucks in comparison.

Pivotelite

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 4:49:23 AM#10
Originally posted by Xasapis

OP would probably be happier in SW:TOR or any other single player rpg with coop.

I do suggest giving SW:TOR a try if you hate TERAs questing.

I personally enjoy TERAs questing though and it's a simple and effective way to level up in groups with friends, grinding BAM repeatable quests and throwing dungeon runs in between. Been playing MMOs for a long time, these quests will never bother me. More fun than questing in almost any other themepark to me, because it has the effective group element that most don't.

Nice for me and my guildies personally. what I don't understand though is why people make these threads, the questing has been stated over and over it is standard thempark affair, it's not SW:TOR and I am glad it isn't. How can you go into TERA not even knowing the most common knowledge when TERA probably has the most information out of any MMO in history prior to it's release.

Pivotelite

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 4:52:45 AM#11
Originally posted by aesperus

Pretty much my exact same experience. And if the general chat from TERA's beta is any indication, you are about to get flamed to high heaven any minute now. Seriously, probably one of the worst communities since Barrens.

Unfamiliar with BETAs? Especially ones where 20,000 codes were handed out for free to the random public. The community on the island makes me want to kill myself as well, but go into any of the 25-30+ zones and it's just discussions about dungeons/content, people looking for groups, or people selling/buying gear.

Because the trolls and kiddies who downloaded to be goons are gone because they never had the intent of playing the game in the first place, so the farthest they get is the island.

VassagoMael

Advanced Member

4/07/12 4:56:04 AM#12
Originally posted by pacov

It's a shame your thread will get flamed by people talking how you didn't even finish tutorial.. well i said it ahead of time.. the game should grab your attention at level 1.. not after level 20

Funny, Age of Conan sorta did what you suggest, except that after you got out of the starter area it fell apart. Suckered a lot of people in with the open beta though :/

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 4:58:01 AM#13

Well, mmorpgs does not necessarily equal questing. If you can communicate the lore and the background of your game to your players without questing, more power to you. I can think of numerous games without quests or very few of them.

• Ultima Online
  • Everquest
  • Anarchy Online (you could get random tasks but not the same as the questing of today)
  • SWG
  • Lineage 2
These were a few of the game I've played myself, there could be more out there. Noone can dispute that the above were mmorpgs, without the quests. Then EQ2 and WoW came and established questing as a norm, so newer people can't seem to be able to grasp an mmorpg without them. There are attempts to move away from that model, like the recent GW2, but I don't know how successful it'll be. There are people that still hate AoC due to a quest gap in 40-60 levels at launch.

In any case, when you buy an mmorpg, you buy a full package. You don't get just the combat system, or the quest system, or the crafting system. You get them all. Some of those things you like more and some less, which is different for everyone. If the sum of the good stuff does not outweight the sum of the bad stuff, then it is advisable to stay away from the game. However this sum is different for each one of us. Somebody's garbage is another man's treasure (as SW:TOR amply demonstrates by being garbage to me).
  RagnorMalak

Apprentice Member

4/07/12 5:30:32 AM#14
Originally posted by Sythion

I played the beta for about an hour. In that time I encountered:

3 quest hubs

7 kill and turn in quests.

1 main quest that involved going to other quest hubs.

There wasn't even an attempt to justify the quests. NPCs pretty much said "Go do this. It will be good for you."

WHY DO PLAYERS ACCEPT THIS?!?

The worst thing was it took me an hour to do this crap and I encountered nothing redeemable in that time. When I got my most recent quest it provided a reward that was 150% my level, because I skipped the crap quests I didn't want to do. That means I have only two options: grind, or grind and walk back to a quest hub.

It's a shame because it looks like there is a lot of opportunity for interesting combat and gameplay, but I'm never going to be able to experience it because I'm not willing to wade through 50 hours of fecal matter to get there.

I completely agree with what you say here. This was also what made me decide not to buy this game. They at least could have tried to bring some more diversity in the quests. The quest text and story is of a level I see in a lot of F2P games. (Not very high). I leveled a character to lvl 20 and I have to say that it doesn't get any better once you're off the starter island. Only at lvl 20 you get the first 'Big Ass Monsters', that gives you something else to do, although I doubt that doing BAMs all the way up to 50 won't get boring eventually as well, and you still have to grind quests to fill the level gaps between them. And once you're 50 the only things that remains is the same old gear-raid-threadmill kind of content. PvP might be interesting, but if I want to have a nice PvP experience there are other games where you don't have to go through a massive grind to get to the point where you can start PvP'ing. That said, there will probably be people who do not agree with me and do have a lot of fun with this game. That's okay. To each their own I guess.

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

4/07/12 5:37:54 AM#15

from my experience playing all the beta weekends, questing in TERA  felt like questing in Perfect World International. Its something i would not want in a new mmo, but it was not the reason why i cancelled my pre order. Right now i only love TERAs graphic visual and character model. Nothing else...The combat didnt rock my boat either.

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

4/07/12 5:43:22 AM#16
Originally posted by RagnorMalak

I completely agree with what you say here. This was also what made me decide not to buy this game. They at least could have tried to bring some more diversity in the quests. The quest text and story is of a level I see in a lot of F2P games. (Not very high). I leveled a character to lvl 20 and I have to say that it doesn't get any better once you're off the starter island.

Since the game is Korean i find very odd that they changed Elin's armors for a NA release, but they kept the asian grinder questing in the game. For NA release (maybe EU too) they should have either change the questing system or just add diversity along with the Elin's changes

Xasapis

Tipster

4/07/12 5:46:23 AM#17

asian grinder questing ... lol, that's a new term ... I guess LOTRO is an asian grinder questing mmorpg

hehe, a bit of mmorpg history will reveal that both mob grinding and quest grinding both originated from the west. They were just copied in the eastern world, when the developers there were new. Right now a big push regarding innovation comes from east, while western developers are content with reproducing wow clones.

I'm not saying that Tera is innovative, although certain aspects are certainly a pleasant change from the norm. Still, it's hardly a clone, although it does share some elements with mmorpgs of the past. Biggest differences are the combat of course, the factionless design, the collision detection in a seamless world and the graphics engine that finally push the boundaries, where other companies are content with "stylised" (marketing bs) graphics of the last decade.

youngkg

Novice Member

4/07/12 6:06:34 AM#18

Little over an hour was all i could stomach on the first day myself...

Quest 1 : Kill x amount of tree looking things, turned that in and got...

Quest 2: Loot x amount of teeth from the same tree looking things....

Quest 3: Kill the named tree looking thing that hates pigs...

As far as the combat goes....i dont mind trial and error combat even if it does get repetitive but atleast make it challenging considering that the quest rail is so dull.

Nadya3

Advanced Member

4/07/12 6:43:58 AM#19
Originally posted by rojo6934
Originally posted by RagnorMalak

I completely agree with what you say here. This was also what made me decide not to buy this game. They at least could have tried to bring some more diversity in the quests. The quest text and story is of a level I see in a lot of F2P games. (Not very high). I leveled a character to lvl 20 and I have to say that it doesn't get any better once you're off the starter island.

Since the game is Korean i find very odd that they changed Elin's armors for a NA release, but they kept the asian grinder questing in the game. For NA release (maybe EU too) they should have either change the questing system or just add diversity along with the Elin's changes

What?  Asian Grinder questing?   did you just made up that new concept?  last time i checked Wow was a western game,  and that is exactly the kind of questing you have in Tera, nothing less , nothing more.

World of Warcraft is by far the most succesful and popular MMO in the west.  so they most have done something right, to achieve that goal.

hurriedcorgi

Advanced Member

4/07/12 6:50:43 AM#20

What I don't understand is why players accept questing and levels as the norm in MMO's. It completely destroyed the genre for me. I have personally given up on them all: I stick around here because I am curious to see how archeage plays out and in theory it is still something I'm very passionate about but all I can say to people now is: I didn't leave mmo's, they left me.

9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search