Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,869,925 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,287
Bluehole Studio | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » PREDICTION! TERA F2P 3mo after Gw2

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
59 posts found
  BizkitNL

Old School

"Free to play, pay to win""

2/27/12 8:23:36 AM#21
Originally posted by NBlitz
People overhyping GW2 will be the most disappointed.
GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.
B2P might just bite them in the ass later on.

Weird statement, seeing as how GW1 is also B2P. I haven't heard anything about that doing bad, or Arenanet losing money over it?

Feel like trying Planetside 2? Get a headstart with the starter kit!

zakiyawow

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 8:32:22 AM#22
Originally posted by Xasapis
Originally posted by zakiyawow
Originally posted by Sector13
Originally posted by zakiyawow
Originally posted by Xasapis

He has a point. He is just putting it in the wrong context. Tera will go F2P hybrid, it's inevitable. So will TSW, Rift and anything else that is left not having a F2P option atm. The only game that will not go F2P will be WoW, that is, until Titan comes out, which it's going to be F2P from the start.

Source ? 

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39915/New-Blizzard-game-to-be-free-to-play

Though I believe they are refering to their version of DOTA but who knows.

Oh I know that "RUMOR". I take it as its face value and I do hope people stop posting it as FACT. Until the official announcemnt, it remains as a rumor.

Of course it is a rumour, but considering what everybody else is doing, do you think the money hungry Blizzard will be left behind in the party?

I have no doubt they will have F2P games. Although a big studio like Blizzard, I think they have more than a few games that never mentioned to public. Therefore, saying Titan = F2P game is a big stretch 

BrokenSpoon

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 8:36:09 AM#23

Aion Release - Sep 22 2009

Aion Huge Server Merge - July 14 2010

10 months for aion to condense the servers to repopulate them...

And what? 1 year and Tera did what? --- your just throwing more crap on a big pile of turd you lot chat about.. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

alkarionlog

Hard Core Member

2/27/12 8:39:35 AM#24
Originally posted by Sector13
Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

Useless topic is useless….
This game is doing amazingly in Korea and has been out for 1 year-- So stop talking toss…

Take your own advise before telling others what to stop talking about. TERA is not doing amazingly in any form of the word in Korea or did we all forget of the 2 server mergers?

and korean complaining about grind, lack of content, bugs with the political system, hacks, and others problems.

just the grind part, from a  korean player? make lol hard :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Xasapis

Tipster

2/27/12 8:40:17 AM#25

Well, comparing Aion to Tera and its progress in Korea may not be the best solution in giving insight. If anything else, traditionally games that do well there don't do that well in the west. So Tera not getting received as wormly in Korea may be an indication that it'll do better in the west ... or won't do well at all. Too early to tell.

Sector13

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 8:46:37 AM#26

And what? 1 year and Tera did what? --- your just throwing more crap on a big pile of turd you lot chat about.. 

Your points make even less sense then before. Try harder next time. KAion was released on November 25, 2008 and I never heard of them having server mergers.

User Deleted
2/27/12 8:48:00 AM#27
Originally posted by BizkitNL
GW2 will always be there as that comfy pillow you know you can fall back safely on.

Weird statement, seeing as how GW1 is also B2P. I haven't heard anything about that doing bad, or Arenanet losing money over it?

A certain amount of people have convinced themselves that B2P games dont make money.

Despite 99% games being B2P.

I guess all that patching MMOs need must be a real bank breaker though 

Superduper69

Novice Member

2/27/12 9:47:07 AM#28

All this combined started a large downwards spiral for the game, a quick server merging followed and 37 servers became 35. 5 months later another huge merger followed.

NHN Korea, the publisher for TERA Korea, announced that the game will go through its 2nd major server merge on 2nd June 2011. More recently, NHN Korea posted the company's latest revenue and earnings, with TERA not meeting the expected figures. During the first round of server merge, 37 servers were merged into 35. In this coming round, the 35 servers will be merged into only 15, with the top 2 populated servers unaffected.

http://www.mushroom-mayhem.com/index.php/component/k2/item/12-tera-the-walking-dead-mmo

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 10:37:47 AM#29

I'll say this to everyone who said the same thing before you stick to predicting the lottery ^_^

Raven

Advanced Member

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

2/27/12 11:01:28 AM#30
Originally posted by quasi_dead
Originally posted by BizkitNL

A certain amount of people have convinced themselves that B2P games dont make money.

Despite 99% games being B2P.

I guess all that patching MMOs need must be a real bank breaker though 

The difference is that B2P games dont require the massive infrastructure an MMO needs and its why GW1 is all instanced and its a lobby game because its a much cheaper infrastructure to maintain cause it would come down at the same price as keeping a MW3 server.

I dont doubt they will make the money back but profits will only happen after a lot of units have been sold and after people start buying stuff from the cash shop and expansions. The trick with GW is building enough tools that you can churn out content quick and at really low cost that will make people want to spend money on it. Actually there will be a direct correlation between people buying the game and people buying shit from their cash shop, cause as soon as that shop goes gold and people just buy the game, the cost of maintaining the servers is now eating at the money they are making back .

On a side note over your arrogant comment, games are a pretty bad investment, like really bad, most games make no money and fail ofc you as a consumer only really hear about BF3 making millions, and MW3 breaking records and how awesome Skyrim is, but for each of those, hundreds are making losses and people being made redundant even with decent games. Games are not this dream land where you make angry birds in two days and become a millionaire. 

User Deleted
2/27/12 11:13:32 AM#31

What boggles my mind is that its not F2P from the very beginning.

Tera is same design, same concept, same story, same everything that 1000 other korean made MMO's are that all release with the F2P model.

IMO all the hype behind Tera really shows just how little the average American gamer knows, and how few games they have actually played.

On the other side of the coin, I really am glad some people are enjoying it.

I just wish people would stop trying to over-hype the game, its an ok game, but it really isnt the end all be all some people have convinced themselves that it is.

Raven

Advanced Member

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

2/27/12 11:19:00 AM#32
Originally posted by Sorrow

Tera is same design, same concept, same story, same everything that 1000 other korean made MMO's are that all release with the F2P model.

IMO all the hype behind Tera really shows just how little the average American gamer knows, and how few games they have actually played.

I just wish people would stop trying to over-hype the game, its an ok game, but it really isnt the end all be all some people have convinced themselves that it is.

I agree with this for any MMO, its not just TERA, its GW2, its TSW, its SWTOR, and it will be Titan, World of Darkness. Everything is over hyped, why I stopped paying attention to the hype, just read about it, and try it when I can.

mudd4ever

Novice Member

Sugar and spice and MMOs.

2/27/12 11:30:47 AM#33

I think TERA would eventually go F2P, as it seems the trend for most MMOs of late, but personally I don't see it happening as soon as OP suggests.

pie.

Beacker

Novice Member

2/27/12 1:00:51 PM#34
Originally posted by Arawulf
Originally posted by gaugemew

For the last time, TERA isn't in competition with GW2.  The people at enmasse are looking for an entirely different demographic.

Sure people from GW2 will play it till GW2 comes out, but the combat systems in both games are radically different.

It's more of an Aion/Lineage competitor - and it's going to have trouble since both of those games are already F2P :P  I hope they have the game set up for a smooth F2P transition.

I can't speak for Lineage as I never played that. I played Aion for over 2 years and Aion is dying out. So many people are waiting for TERA to drop. F2P is not going to save Aion. I don't think people will stick around with it simply for the pvp twinks during rifting who will go out and kill people. The population is on the decline. After playing TERA I definetly would not go back to Aion. This game blows it away with everything. The combat style is just awesome. The graphics and the world look better too and Aion was beautiful.

There is no need to make TERA f2p anyways. Even when I play games that are f2p I will pay the sub. 1. because I do not mind because I make 15 bucks in minutes while at work. 2.I like having access to all the content etc. I think TERA is going to retain more of a PVP crowd vs a PVE crowd. Though I could be wrong but I prefer to PVP and it seems like this game is better aimed at that.

User Deleted
2/27/12 1:05:46 PM#35
Originally posted by Beacker
<>

I can't speak for Lineage as I never played that. I played Aion for over 2 years and Aion is dying out. So many people are waiting for TERA to drop. F2P is not going to save Aion. I don't think people will stick around with it simply for the pvp twinks during rifting who will go out and kill people. The population is on the decline. After playing TERA I definetly would not go back to Aion.<>

It would be funny like hell to watch the inverse happen here in the West. AION is the queen bee in town in S-Korea. I don´t get it 

Anthur

Hard Core Member

2/27/12 1:08:02 PM#36

imo threads like this just stating "game X will go F2P in Y time" should just be deleted as troll garbage.

Beacker

Novice Member

2/27/12 1:09:55 PM#37
Originally posted by Anthur

imo threads like this just stating "game X will go F2P in Y time" should just be deleted as troll garbage.

I have to agree there it really is not adding anything productive about the game. Report the thread than sir.

nationalcity

Hard Core Member

2/27/12 1:15:59 PM#38

I'm just wondering why is Tera singled out what about all the other MMO's there not gonna go F2P also once the holy grail MMO comes out ??????

stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

2/27/12 1:17:23 PM#39
Originally posted by Sorrow

Why does it bother you so much that it's P2P and most of the tera community would like it to stay that way?   Why is it ok for the community to over hype GW2 but not for other games?

As you say "people are enjoying it" as a p2p game,  so why all the hate.  Don't like it then move on.

As for me, i'm glad its p2p and will not fall into that cesspool they call f2p.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

User Deleted
2/27/12 1:20:53 PM#40
Originally posted by nationalcity

I'm just wondering why is Tera singled out what about all the other MMO's there not gonna go F2P also once the holy grail MMO comes out ??????

Some people have major beef with the latest South-Korean title to come out in the West: TERA.

Like, this one guy who's a game "journalist" was in one of the TERA beta weekends and he absolutely hated it. He had no fun.

He gets into the GW2 press beta and you know what he said the following week after the event ended?

"Wow! Combat was soooooo much fun. I could block stuff and dodge! So much fun!" He proceed to squeal like a little school girl some more. And there I was thinking: but, wtf? You played TERA before you played GW2 and NOW you get excited about being able to dodge stuff in real time?

I too want to play GW2 badly, but...come on. Give. me. a. break.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search