Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,702 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,088
Bluehole Studio | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/01/12)  | Pub:En Masse Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

TERA Forum » General Discussion » My TERA short story from this weekend...

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
59 posts found
  Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

2/27/12 2:24:58 AM#21
Originally posted by NBlitz

Can't have a TERA thread without the party-pooper brigade. They're not trolls, just party-poopers.

Party-poopers. They want you to be just as miserable as them and not having fun as they are.

I agree with you. I really liked his PvP description and I hope he is absolutely loving the game.

haplo602

Advanced Member

2/27/12 2:34:31 AM#22

Entertaining post OP, thanks for the good read.

lenybob

Novice Member

2/27/12 2:51:38 AM#23

:D when i was on one of the PvP servers:

combat one, i barely got across the bridge when i was surounded by 7 players  8 levels above me. they didn't walk up to me, or vice versa they just poofed/appeared.

combat two, a red named Outlaw charges for me and i try to counter, he doesn't start to attack so i burst my cooldowns thinking i can hit him/her. no such luck. though red named, i wasn't able to engage- as i wasn't myself flagged as an outlaw. then the person kills me by bursting his cooldowns on me.

combat three, a red name was within an environment tree. it was an npc name comeplete wth teh quest completion asterix. and then i die.

combat four, i was attacked by a party of two people both were 4 levels above me. i manage to kill one, before the other kills me.

combat five, again attacked by 2 invisable people. this time there were red circles where they walked.

combat six, i'm getting hit by someone who isn't in range to hit me. a guy swinging his broad sword a good 15 meters away.

and then i made a character on a pve server.

later i came back to the pvp server and got killed while turning in a quest, i was at 3/4 health before the red circle appeared.

Inf666

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 3:28:31 AM#24
Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Inf666

Originally posted by marcust
OP you have renewed my interest, however it is still tempered by the thought of having to do this with 250 ping.
Just out of interest, how long are inductions in this game.
The length of inductions in Lotro is one of the reasons the pvp is playable even with high ping.

Please excuse my language skills. Can you explain what 'induction' means in the MMO context?

Cast time, more or less. It's a LOTRO-specific term.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Induction

In most cases you will have an instacast skill with a self root and a followup animation. The followup animation can be several seconds long, meaning you cant spam it and must time it well.

Then there are the charge-up skills. Depending on the skill a meter appears. The longer you hold the skill button the stronger the skill becomes. Wait too long and it autoexecutes. The charge-up skills can be either with or without selfroot.

Then there are instacasts without self-root. Mainly your dodge skills. Otherwise rare.

I am sorry to say but lag is an important issue. The pvp is about timing. You can still try it out in the CB/OB events though.

---
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 3:34:26 AM#25
Originally posted by eluldor

What determines who fights who on a pvp server? Can anyone just enter that mode, or is it a race divide or something?

You get a skill at lvl 11 that allow yourself to be delcared an outlaw, when used you can attack anyone.

@Lenybob sound like some of the timeyou were lagging and also they do have rending issue, i went through many pvp battle where all i saw was a red name because the character won't render. Something they need to fix, also you want to go in to your video setting and set character render to unlimit rather than 20 or 50 helps a lot but still render a bit too slow hope they fix it.

So my PvP story, i was soloing a spider BAM outside SM the lvl 26 dungeon. I got it down to half health when a Berserker that was flagged as outlaw came up and try to attack me which i just starting running away. Than a slayer join him and both try to kill me, i was moving away while also watching the BAM jump around. Than i use my leash skill and drag in slayer infront of me and stun her, than the spider BAM jumped at me and i hold my block. The BAM land a heavy combo which i blocked but the slayer ate it to the face, than try to run away. Than i just stay near her as the BAM jump on me and killed her. XD and the Bersker ran off some where in middle of that because i think he was getting hit too much by the BAM jumpping around too lol. Lesson of the story don't attack a lancer fighting a BAM unless you know what to do because more than likely the lancer can use the BAM to get you kill pretty fast XD.

RodgeV

Novice Member

2/27/12 3:46:01 AM#26

I know the feeling but it seems like you was lucky. The scaling problem of damage is something extremely faulty. I can't really explains the details but the basics are that you recieve damage scaling depending on how much higher your lvl is compared to the enemy.

It may sound great for PVE but the fact that it affects PVP is quite gamebreaking since I personally don't view 2-shotting a guy 10 levels lower than you as pvp. Higher-levels already got an advantage in being higher lvl and with that higher hp and gear. An insane damage boost isn't necessary.

Make it PVE-only and you'll have one of the better PVP-games out there.

@OP - Truly heroic. All it lack is Popori's.

Azmodai

Novice Member

2/27/12 4:49:42 AM#27

Good read OP,

I played K-TERA for a month, It was really refreshing. The pvp was just amazing, very skill dependent.

stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

2/27/12 5:38:05 AM#28

I was up on the hill above the SM entrance.  Down below I could see a cluster of about 20 players waiting to do the instance run.  20meters in front of them was a group of 8 outlaws trying to lure the 20 into pvp.  Heavly outnumbered but still they would not take the bait until one outlaw agro'ed a bam spider and made a dash to the cluster of players.  All hell broke out as soon as the bam started wrecking the entrance and people started to scatter and the 8 outlaws promply pounced on them.

It was fun to watch up in my cozy nest ^^

/ Jagged Coast

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Pivotelite

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 5:47:51 AM#29
Originally posted by MassiveRodge

I know the feeling but it seems like you was lucky. The scaling problem of damage is something extremely faulty. I can't really explains the details but the basics are that you recieve damage scaling depending on how much higher your lvl is compared to the enemy.

It may sound great for PVE but the fact that it affects PVP is quite gamebreaking since I personally don't view 2-shotting a guy 10 levels lower than you as pvp. 

I don't really know what themepark MMO doesn't have people 10 levels lower being one shot...it wouldn't make sense for them not to be. Just the gear difference is enough. A geared 85 in WoW can two shot an 83.

RodgeV

Novice Member

2/27/12 5:57:45 AM#30
Originally posted by Pivotelite

It may sound great for PVE but the fact that it affects PVP is quite gamebreaking since I personally don't view 2-shotting a guy 10 levels lower than you as pvp. 

I don't really know what themepark MMO doesn't have people 10 levels lower being one shot...it wouldn't make sense for them not to be. Just the gear difference is enough. A geared 85 in WoW can two shot an 83.

Exactly. If the gear difference is well enough then why does the scaling ability even exist?

Also OW PVP is pretty much non-existant in WoW nowadays and I don't see players camping beginner areas in WoW.

Inf666

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 6:12:39 AM#31
Originally posted by Pivotelite

Exactly. If the gear difference is well enough then why does the scaling ability even exist?...

Its all in the wow-doctrine: The char with the highest "played time" should be the strongest.

This motivates players to play even more to get "ahead". It also enables low skilled players to somehow get kills. Imagine lvl 60s getting owned by lvl 40s. They would quit straight away because they are told how bad they are to the face. With the level scaling you give them virtual strength to compensate. This doctrine is the reason we have the masses of today in MMOs.

Make a game skill-depended / realistic / harsh and you have a niche game.

---
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

poweruo

Novice Member

2/27/12 6:22:17 AM#32

Ive tried the beta for 1 weekend. Must say i cant see what all the noise is about. The game is pretty and it ran very well on my mediocre system but the art style itself is to eastern for me. Also the combat system didnt seem that different except you look at the target instead of tab targeting. Move your abilities from the mouse keybind to 1 through 5 and it play very much like any other.

Ofcourse this is from a low level view. I do think that the combat is a step in the right direction.

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 6:22:17 AM#33

Skill in this game is to set apart people with in the same lvl range. Ofc if you go far off the lvl range your not going to win unless the person your fighting is completely stupid. If a lvl 40 can beat a lvl 60 (and lvl 60 isn't a complete retard) there won't be point of lvling up any more. Skill still exist but its for closer lvl to help close gap between armor, not wide lvl caps.

Zeus.CM

Apprentice Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

2/27/12 7:29:53 AM#34

After playing Tera in the latest closed beta for whole day, I must say this game looks amazing. Combat is based on holy trinity, but its hack'n'slash/fps/action dodging feel makes it very engaging and fun. Races are very interesting, there's something for each taste except for those who like ugly races. Lots of classes.

Photo galery I made during my gameplay: http://imageshack.us/g/69/terascreenshot201202261.png/

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Mobs have various attack mechanics

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

+ Cool transition between zones (warp + flying on the pegasus)

+ Mount is acquired quite early (lv 10)

Cons:

- All races have the same starting zone

- All races have the same quests/story (as far as I could tell)

- Still using holy trinity format

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only different gear/race

- Class use only one weapon

SCORE: 7.5/10 for the first impression

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

Sovrath

Elite Member

2/27/12 7:37:20 AM#35
Originally posted by deathlylink

Originally posted by Sovrath
I have to say that my pvp experience wasn't so exciting but did learn that I love pvping on a Lancer. Me and a Slayer kept wackign at each other until we both had a small amount left.
In the end I was the victor and it solidified that I could at least pvp on the thing.

Hope Lancers can kill other players as well or else it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Lancers are the best pvpers in group in my opinion (since this is a group based pvp game shouldn't be a problem. A priest and I (a decent skilled warrior) lost to a lancer priest combo. Super fun PvP game. Always got annoyed that I got ganked to hell in lumbertown but after that it was pretty smooth with some groups running at times.

Thanks, good to know.

I got a warrior up to 13 on the pvp server but it was a too little too late as it was Sunday.

I'm still not 100 percent clear on the pvp server rules.

It states that one must declare Rogue in order to attack and be attacked. Which makes sense. However, that would mean that if one didn't then they are invulnerable?

Which then makes no sense because there were people complaining about being ganked by the bridge. Which begs the question: why were they complaining? Just take Rogue status off.

I must be missing something.

xKingdomx

Novice Member

2/27/12 7:51:51 AM#36

Can slayer do backflips and dash?

I thought they only had jumping forward dodge roll.

hmmm

I find TERA's combat a bit laggy and slower paced than DCUO. Maybe because Im in Australia, but Im not fond of anything else other than the combat, which I can get it in DCUO. Also DCUO has voiceover quests :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Ikeda

Hard Core Member

2/27/12 7:55:00 AM#37

My opinion:

This game'll be awesome PvP-wise if you hop on early.  Late and it'll be another gank fest.

Game does look pretty but big groups shutter pretty bad.

Skill plays a bigger role but I don't think its different enough.

Quests blow.  I didn't seem to find anything that was impressive.

Crafting was same ol'.

Some of the politics/standing is interesting.  I lost interest prior to dealing with that.

I can-x'd my preorder.  Nothing I hadn't already seen.  For a game already out for a year, it still has some worrisome bugs that leaves me questioing.  These betas, I would have thought, should have been mostly localization things.  Not gameplay related.

SWTOR: F2P or Premium? Want Galactic Strongholds early? http://www.swtor.com/r/LbMdN7 Use the referral for 7 days of subscriber access. Unlock your GS today!

Impulse47

Novice Member

Banned

OP  2/27/12 11:06:12 AM#38
Glad some of you enjoyed it. To answer Sovrath's question, on PvP servers you can attack and be attacked by people who have gone red regardless if you have or not. As in, the only people who -won't- damage each other are those whose names are both white. Also there is no player damage in major towns except for duels.
  Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

2/27/12 11:08:35 AM#39

haaha my story went something like this.

Epicly fighting a mob to turn in for quest.....one shot killed by some guy 8-10 levels over me :D

rexzshadow

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 11:56:28 AM#40
Originally posted by thedarkess

After playing Tera in the latest closed beta for whole day, I must say this game looks amazing. Combat is based on holy trinity, but its hack'n'slash/fps/action dodging feel makes it very engaging and fun. Races are very interesting, there's something for each taste except for those who like ugly races. Lots of classes.

Photo galery I made during my gameplay: http://imageshack.us/g/69/terascreenshot201202261.png/

This my pros/cons for my first impression. Notice: I don't know anything about this game. This is score for my first 15 levels of gameplay / my 1st time with the game.

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics

+ Good optimization

+ Action combat

+ Mobs have various attack mechanics

+ Combat promotes skillful play, not just stats (you can almost never get hit by mob if you play good)

+ Epic bosses

+ Cool transition between zones (warp + flying on the pegasus)

+ Mount is acquired quite early (lv 10)

Cons:

- All races have the same starting zone

- All races have the same quests/story (as far as I could tell)

- Still using holy trinity format

- Same boring grind quests - kill 10 piglets (90% of them), the other 10% are delivery quests and you will never read dialogues (this goes for the first 3 zones -> starting, velika and lumbertown, I never got further than that)

- No distinction between players playing the same class - same builds/same skills, only different gear/race

- Class use only one weapon

SCORE: 7.5/10 for the first impression

In summary: this game's main attributes are graphics, action combat and boss fights, everything else is the same old. However, I heard about politics system which could be awesome, I've never experienced it so I left it out this short review.

By lvl 20 you get glyph which let you customize your skill more, so even teh same class can be very different depending on their glyh and also their crystal.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search