Trending Games | ArcheAge | Neverwinter | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,822,061 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,217,039
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Should GW2 have kept more traditional mmo mechanics?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
125 posts found
  Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

2/15/13 8:53:50 AM#21

I've reently watched let's play series of GW2 in youtube.

The lack of curiosity that players display, the way people assumed stuff in GW2 had to play exactly the same as in other MMORPGs ("you taking all the loot", "here take this loot", "need to go to town to buy skills", "I must have done something wrong since my next bit of story is filed with guys 3 levels higher"), was completly appaling.

When I get into a game I just click every button, poke everything.

So no thank you, I like variation and exploring.

If people want to drone over their games, making the exactsame motions in different skins and names, there is 938078629647563865 games like that this way <-------------------------------------

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Four0Six

Hard Core Member

2/15/13 8:55:06 AM#22
Originally posted by natpick

i was actualy  playing gw2 earlier and thought the same thing if this game kept the trinity  it would  been a great mmo

as it is been killed every 2 minutes just isnt fun,dont say use dodge it dont matter how much you dodge and roll frequent death is inevitable.

shame really what a beutiful world it is and intresting races/classes.

ANet built in the "downed mechanic". They didn't do it just for fun. What I am getting at is that, in my eyes, you are ment to die frequently. I like you find this lame.

MightyChasm

Advanced Member

OP  2/15/13 8:55:20 AM#23
Originally posted by rodingo
Originally posted by MightyChasm
Originally posted by rodingo

Given the above, does anyone else feel that GW2 would have been a better game if it had retained more defined roles and more traditional quest hubs?  

All the above is IMO so can we please avoid the usual pointless argument about this.  

Here is the problem.  These types of threads keep perpetuating the usual pointless arguments.  Have you not seen people already discuss these things in the thousands of other GW2 posts?  You aren't posting anything thought provoking or new on this subject. 

Thats true of most posts on here.  May as well shut the site.  But seriously you can extract your head from your arse now.  

Did I hurt your feelings that much? 

Yes, well done.  

Beelzebobbie

Elite Member

If DaoC was so fun why don't you just play it?

2/15/13 8:56:27 AM#24
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

You mean, make it just like another WoW clone like all those we got served these last 8 years?

Sorry, but no thanks.

And for those who can't live without those "traditional MMO mechanics", which are inreality "EQ/WoW clone mechanics", they have the vast majority of games to chose from! Leave GW2 alone for those who enjoy having a different games, a thing that didn't happen for mainstream MMOs (not talking about bug ridden crap made by amateurs like Darkfall and co) since a long time.

I agree with the Captain here, leave GW2 alone. Its so much fun to play and I don't miss kill 10 rats and continuee to kill 15 wolfs and try to loot 7 fish scales and return the guy by the tree.

I really don't miss "I throw a spell at you and then you throw one back to me and we continue like this for another 30 more spell with the same firebolt even if I have 40 other spells but they don't do the same amount of damage so I only spam this one and you can't win cause I have more health then you."

If WOW was released today it wouldn't even have more players then Warhammer online.

WOW was fun for 5 years ago now its just old, ugly and boring. Nothing has changed and nothing ever will they only have players cause nobody wants to give up there characters that they have spend so much time at. If blizzard wiped ever server they would have no players that would logon again.

Players don't want another WOW clone I think SWOTR is prof of that. 

peace out and don't all of you 40-50 year olds hate now for trash talking your favorite game.

alkarionlog

Elite Member

2/15/13 8:57:01 AM#25

There is plenty that is good about GW2 but I just found it overwhelmingly tedious.  There are many reasons for this that I won't go into, but principally I never felt any sense of immersion.  I put this down to the following: -

1) Lack of Quest Hubs: In many areas the mechanics just felt over simplistic.  The hearts and the events were just a step too far in removing the player from any meaningful interaction with the game.  You just role up and fill the bar, then move on.  You don't need to talk to anyone or interact in anyway, you don't even meet the same people because you can just float around the tetris map aimlessly without any rhyme or reason.  Even learning skills and combat were just too quick and simple; and simple= dull.  

2) Lack of Defined Roles: Other parts of the game mechanics were too complex, such as the group setup, which required you to set the roles and the tactics and to communicate these with your team.  Great if you have a regular group, but given that the rest of the game is so desperately casual this seems to be an odd anomaly, and results in the complete mess that are dungeons amongst more casual or uninitiated players or PUG groups.  

In addition, given that all characters fundamentally do the same thing there is never that sense of being needed in a group, you are just a replaceable part.  Also, the fact your skills are largely chosen for you  juxtaposes awkwardly against the apparent freedom from defined roles.           

Given the above, does anyone else feel that GW2 would have been a better game if it had retained more defined roles and more traditional quest hubs?  

All the above is IMO so can we please avoid the usual pointless argument about this.  

I ask, why everytime a game or person do somethings diferent we always have people saying to not change?

if this things bother you maybe this game is not for you, that is pretty much what make GW2, GW2, games like this making things completely different is what can bring good things for us, would you complain in TSW investigative quests is too hard and too far from the normal and they should keep the old way to quest like kill things and fetch things?

we need new things,

and to answer your last question, no that is what make gw2 good for me, it ask for a better player to play, don't limit my time to play because I can't do things for lack of a tanker/cleric, and it sure can make me change my style to help more the group if I feel like it, GW2 is what you complain, that is what make most of us play it, possible for some if not for that people would continue on they last game. if you don't like its ok, we sure have several games with things like you want.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Muntz

Advanced Member

2/15/13 9:17:21 AM#26

No it wouldn't be a better game. It would just be a more traditional game. Not sure why they would want to do that product differentiation is generally seen as a good thing. You certainly can do it wrong but they have been successful so I doubt they see any need for change to please traditionalists. You can't appeal to everyone. 

You can always start by talking to the heart npc to get that quest feel. It is limited in that it doesn't lead to chain quests. Frankly I don't miss quest hubs so this really isn't an issue for me and I don't think they should be added. Not sure why so many can't just talk to people or stranger still a vocal minority that finds the game anti-socal can bitch about it in a forum but can't find a way to communicate in game. I often grouped with people in DEs you get more drops that way. 

Those that quit because of "no defined roles" have made my PUG experince so much better. The elimination of Zerg Rez has made it further difficult for some of you hangers on to get any where. We now have many folks who provide Support, Tanking, Healing, CC, ... and switch between them as needed. Dungeon runs have become a better experinece. It would be a big mistake to add the trinity back into this game. 

Aeonblades

Elite Member

2/15/13 9:20:56 AM#27

Would I like it better personally? Yes.

Would it be a better game? Probably not, it wasn't designed with traditional mechanics in mind.

It fits a good medium of someone who wants the feel of an MMO but doesn't want an MMO in the true sense. It's good at what it does.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
Have played: You name it
If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

ThomasN7

Advanced Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

2/15/13 9:21:50 AM#28
They should have never made a mmo. They should have just expanded and innovated on how the original games were set up. Guild Wars was like the best anti mmo you could play. I played the original games for 5+ years for a reason. I also played Guild Wars 2 for like 30 hours for a reason as well. Catering to the casuals just dooms your game right from the very start in my opinion.
  Beelzebobbie

Elite Member

If DaoC was so fun why don't you just play it?

2/15/13 9:23:55 AM#29

I don't get why all the WOW players are here and always complaining on other games. Its pretty clear to me that if you still play WOW you are not looking for anything new and you probably never will so why are you here on this site? 

Why not sit on a WOW forum and discuss how long you stand in stormwind everyday waiting in que for a dungeon thats gonna be a walk in the park in HC mode.

MightyChasm

Advanced Member

OP  2/15/13 9:24:36 AM#30
Originally posted by Normandy7
They should have never made a mmo. They should have just expanded and innovated on how the original games were set up. Guild Wars was like the best anti mmo you could play. I played the original games for 5+ years for a reason. I also played Guild Wars 2 for like 30 hours for a reason as well. Catering to the casuals just dooms your game right from the very start in my opinion.

Likewise, GW1 is one of my all-time favourite games.  

Aeonblades

Elite Member

2/15/13 9:25:25 AM#31
Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I don't get why all the WOW players are here and always complaining on other games. Its pretty clear to me that if you still play WOW you are not looking for anything new and you probably never will so why are you here on this site? 

Why not sit on a WOW forum and discuss how long you stand in stormwind everyday waiting in que for a dungeon thats gonna be a walk in the park in HC mode.

No random guy 137, just no.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
Have played: You name it
If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

MightyChasm

Advanced Member

OP  2/15/13 9:25:25 AM#32
Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

What WOW players are you referring to?  I don't play wow and haven't since TBC.  

Volkon

Novice Member

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

2/15/13 9:26:43 AM#33

I opened a couple 7 year birthday presents on some of my GW1 characters the other day. You're right about GW1, what a great game in it's own right. But still, GW2 is an amazing MMO. I've plenty of hours here and counting...

And still going strong. They've done so much right and so much better than the static, archaic MMO clones farting around out there in my opinion and that of many others. Yes, it's not GW1. It's also not WoW, Rift, SWToR, TSW, Hello Kitty Online or any of the others. It's GW2.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

2/15/13 9:32:01 AM#34
Linear quest hubs are the devil.
  User Deleted
2/15/13 9:32:53 AM#35

Left the game due to loot issues and permaDR not because of the game mechanics.

The game mechanics in this title were actually the best gameplay in PVE I've ever experienced. Altho they could have made it easier to find events on the world map of the same zone you are in.

Not worrying over running back to turn in quests in quest hubs was the best thing ever imo. As far as the roles thing, yeah that can be quite daunting when it comes to dungeon play. That's prolly why everyone is so frustrated with this now because the game was supposed to be all about DE metas and open world content but they decided to make it a dungeon focused game instead going back on 7 years of interview material about their philosophy in a single patch.

All the Lrn2play arguments in the world won't change the fact that they lied to the public.

I guess I'm half agreeing with you OP, only half tho.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

2/15/13 9:48:10 AM#36
Originally posted by Volkon

I opened a couple 7 year birthday presents on some of my GW1 characters the other day. You're right about GW1, what a great game in it's own right. But still, GW2 is an amazing MMO. I've plenty of hours here and counting...

And still going strong. They've done so much right and so much better than the static, archaic MMO clones farting around out there in my opinion and that of many others. Yes, it's not GW1. It's also not WoW, Rift, SWToR, TSW, Hello Kitty Online or any of the others. It's GW2.

Agreed.  GW2 is like GW1 to me only with many of the improvements I wish the original had.  I also got some nice 7 year birthday presents.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Sovrath

Elite Member

2/15/13 9:55:49 AM#37
Nah, it's good that they tried something different and that there are people who like what they tried.
  botrytis

Elite Member

2/15/13 9:58:19 AM#38
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by Volkon

Agreed.  GW2 is like GW1 to me only with many of the improvements I wish the original had.  I also got some nice 7 year birthday presents.

It will be 8yrs for some of my characters in GW1 in April - can't wait to see what they give out....

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

grimal

Spotlight Poster

2/15/13 2:00:48 PM#39

I wish they had kept more of the skills ideas from GW1.  I also think they should have stuck to the more traditional MMO leveling/ability progression.  I think it would have been nice for them to consolidate the PVP/PVE experience into one experience.  I'm not  a fan of the game separation.

But it's much easier to stay with tradition then it is to try something new, so I applaud them for that.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

MightyChasm

Advanced Member

OP  2/15/13 2:03:18 PM#40
Originally posted by grimal

I wish they had kept more of the skills ideas from GW1.  I also think they should have stuck to the more traditional MMO leveling/ability progression.  I think it would have been nice for them to consolidate the PVP/PVE experience into one experience.  I'm not  a fan of the game separation.

But it's much easier to stay with tradition then it is to try something new, so I applaud them for that.

woohoo, this is me.  haha got monumental amount of shit for this thread.  I think GW1 did a lot right and GW2 undid a lot of that good work.  I miss, well I could list them, but almost everything I liked in GW1 is gone.  

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search