Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,293 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,965
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » NCSoft Earning call conference: GW2 xpac and China release in 2013

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  kabitoshin

Advanced Member

2/07/13 5:45:39 AM#21
Originally posted by Karteli

I hope they don't expect those kinds of initial sales for an expansion :D

GW2 wasn't that great for an interactive MMORPG.  It had all the qualifications, but really lacked the social side.

Some people like solo player MMORPGS.  Some don't.  That's the mix of people who bought this game (via hype).

The expansion will sell far fewer than the vanilla launch.

It's not the games fault for people being unsocial, It's the generation of MMO players these days. People don't want to group up with some random people when you can just zerg events. 

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

2/07/13 5:58:56 AM#22
Originally posted by jtcgs

GW2 wasn't that great for an interactive MMORPG.  It had all the qualifications, but really lacked the social side.

only for those that need a game to make them social...social people have no issues at all and my servers chat proves it every time I am logged in.

But as you said, it brought in two kinds of players...to bad you got the catagories wrong.

I couldn't have said it better.

For those who need to be forced into raids for 3+ hours session 3+ nights a week and call that "being social", for sure, GW2 isn't the right game. For everybody else, normal people who actually manage to socialize with others without being forced to by the game mechanics, and who don't call bashing mobs for 3+ hours "socializing" either, it's just fine.

Can't wait for that expansion, I will be among the first in line to buy it or even pre-order it.

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

User Deleted
2/07/13 6:06:33 AM#23
Originally posted by jtcgs

only for those that need a game to make them social...social people have no issues at all and my servers chat proves it every time I am logged in.

But as you said, it brought in two kinds of players...to bad you got the catagories wrong.

I never understood this need for people to require game "to make them social"

I never had any problem being social in games they proclaim as "solo online MMOs"

Really start to surface its not games fault but those people fault.

Its pretty much obvious MMOs are not for them and they should move to single player games.

Originally posted by kabitoshin
It's not the games fault for people being unsocial, It's the generation of MMO players these days. People don't want to group up with some random people when you can just zerg events.

people want to group, they are just not forced to group with you. Nothing wrong with game or other people. Start to look for cause  somewhere else.

greenreen

Advanced Member

2/07/13 9:18:57 AM#24
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
Originally posted by greenreen
I think it's showing us that the micro-transaction usage in the game is increasing.

3rd quarter = July, August, September were about 42,179,828 USD in sales
4th quarter = October, November, December were about 109,507,821 USD in sales

Since two million players out of 2.9M est. total were acquired in the third quarter, that means the money has been increasing while the sales of the game have decreased. Clearly the micro-transactions are being pushed better in the fourth quarter unless they are making more profit now on box sales. They had xmas behind sales in November and December but the box sales didn't meet their first airing which was also an inflated sales period. Keeping in mind too that the MOST money made on sales had to be on the first airing of sales, the moments when people had waited 5 years and could finally procure a digital copy. Customers often take the path of least resistance, I expect digital sales were high in that period. Those digital copies must have the most profit because they don't involve a reseller or much of a distribution fee at all if they don't offer packaging.

Basically, August - Over 1 million sold
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409224,00.asp

September - Two million sold
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/177635/Guild_Warsreg_2_Sales_Break_Two_Million_Units.php

Third Quarter
Averages 21.90 revenue per player @ 42,179,828 USD / 2,000,000

Fourth Quarter
Averages 37.76 revenue per player @ 109,507,821 USD / 2,900,000

You might look at those numbers and say - about the same but look at it from the angle of box sales reduced in the fourth quarter.

If you round out $20 for box sales. Then you see that the micro-transactions are kicking in and growing stronger.

Third Quarter
2,000,000 * 20 = 40,000,000 revenue from box sales
42,179,828 - 40,000,000 = 2,179,828 micro-transaction revenue

Fourth Quarter
900,000 * 20 = 18,000,000 revenue from box sales
109,507,821 - 18,000,000 = 91,507,821 micro-transaction revenue

Unless they lied about box sales and called them out earlier than they happened, it does look to me like they are making more money despite less boxes being sold. Even if you believe there are still 3M people playing the game (which I can't after the changes to the manifesto), what we see is that they are shouldering more of the load for those that did leave because the calculations aren't including those that did jump ship who are definitely not contributing in micro-transactions. If I guesstimate that number high - someone will say - you are saying my game is dead. If I guesstimate low - someone will say - but I don't pay anything to play the game monthly. That one is a no win to start guessing population beyond sales released.

Your deductions are based on false assumptions.

As they stated on the report call the lion share of the box sales were accounted in the 4Q12.

Also, the digital sales from Anet site would bring closer to $48 a box.

The 3Q12 was only 700K-1M boxes.

There are no false assumptions. Those were their press releases that reported sales throughout the year. You must think they lied then to the public. I didn't link them for nothing. Did you even follow the links. If you have a problem with what they said then it's THEM you need to talk to. If it doesn't match with what they told their investors, again, it was their words. I didn't make any assumptions that weren't from the lips of Arenanet/Nexon. The only thing I rounded out was a box sale to show someone the spike in numbers because there are no charts on the site. That's how you can see the slope.

I sure would like to know how you came up with 20-50% spent on cash shop with the numbers I showed. You didn't take into account different prices and selling places for boxes, you didn't take into account collector's editions, deluxe editions. All those things would take money away from the micro-transaction sales. I think I was being very generous saying only 20 for box sales after production cost/ distribution and retailer profit. The original way I calculated it, there was very little spent if anything on micro-transactions but you didn't want to hear that so I was generous to your wants. The part I didn't calculate and post until now is the real guesstimate driven items but once again - IT WAS THEIR PRESS RELEASE THAT SAID THEY HAD SOLD ONE MILLION IN THIRD QUARTER for early access. http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/pre-order-figures-slip/

This was the way I originally started my calculations but found it too "estimatey" and since your topic was micro-transactions, it needed to show those. To be honest with you, I think digital sales should be much higher than box sales but I can't make the numbers work because the profit margin is too high on digital.

1,000,000 paid for early access
Collector's edition = 149.99
Deluxe Edition = 79.99
Digital Download = 59.99
http://grvgaming.com/2012/08/guild-wars-2-collectors-edition/
- guesstimate Collector's edition = 149.99 - 40 goods/packaging - 20 retailer = 89.99
- guesstimate Box price = 59.99 - 20 retailer/packaging = 39.99
- estimating 0.5% paid for collector's edition = 5,000 sold
- estimating 0.5% paid for deluxe edition = 5,000 sold
- estimating 40% paid for digital download = 400,000 sold
- estimating 59% paid for a box = 590,000 sold
= 5,000 * 89.99 = 449,950
= 5,000 * 79.99 = 399,950
= 400,000 * 59.99 = 23,996,000
= 590,000 * 39.99 = 23,594,100
== 48,440,000 for 1,000,000 "Early Access"

Why do I even start talking in GW2 topics, the people just don't make sense. That's enough explaining.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

OP  2/07/13 9:28:33 AM#25
I think it's showing us that the micro-transaction usage in the game is increasing.

Since two million players out of 2.9M est. total were acquired in the third quarter, that means the money has been increasing while the sales of the game have decreased. Clearly the micro-transactions are being pushed better in the fourth quarter unless they are making more profit now on box sales. They had xmas behind sales in November and December but the box sales didn't meet their first airing which was also an inflated sales period. Keeping in mind too that the MOST money made on sales had to be on the first airing of sales, the moments when people had waited 5 years and could finally procure a digital copy. Customers often take the path of least resistance, I expect digital sales were high in that period. Those digital copies must have the most profit because they don't involve a reseller or much of a distribution fee at all if they don't offer packaging.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/177635/Guild_Warsreg_2_Sales_Break_Two_Million_Units.php

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

You might look at those numbers and say - about the same but look at it from the angle of box sales reduced in the fourth quarter.

If you round out $20 for box sales. Then you see that the micro-transactions are kicking in and growing stronger.

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Unless they lied about box sales and called them out earlier than they happened, it does look to me like they are making more money despite less boxes being sold. Even if you believe there are still 3M people playing the game (which I can't after the changes to the manifesto), what we see is that they are shouldering more of the load for those that did leave because the calculations aren't including those that did jump ship who are definitely not contributing in micro-transactions. If I guesstimate that number high - someone will say - you are saying my game is dead. If I guesstimate low - someone will say - but I don't pay anything to play the game monthly. That one is a no win to start guessing population beyond sales released.

As they stated on the report call the lion share of the box sales were accounted in the 4Q12.

There are no false assumptions. Those were their press releases that reported sales throughout the year. You must think they lied then to the public. I didn't link them for nothing. Did you even follow the links. If you have a problem with what they said then it's THEM you need to talk to. 

Lets see.

I've linked to the damn financial report call.

They sold 2 millions in beggining of september 2012 but the money ("lion share" of it) only shows up in 4Q12 financial report..

NCSoft own words.

No conflicting information.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/07/13 9:34:29 AM#26
Originally posted by Zzad

And that launch in China is going to sky-rocket sales!

It will feel good to hear the world to revert to the subs arguments tellng us how China doesn't count again.

I think Blizzard confused gamers (essentially simple creatures) with "China totally counts". Because up to that point, EQ fans had been telling us it didn't.

Still, GW2's got to be a huge disappointment to fans of the Old Tyme Subs Argument. "How will we handle this one, we need mmogcharts and chit, oh noes!"

We might have to compare...incomes?? How will we handle currency conversion rates? We can only argue once per quarter?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

greenreen

Advanced Member

2/07/13 9:44:10 AM#27

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

There are no false assumptions. Those were their press releases that reported sales throughout the year. You must think they lied then to the public. I didn't link them for nothing. Did you even follow the links. If you have a problem with what they said then it's THEM you need to talk to. 

Lets see.

They sold 2 millions in beggining of september 2012 but the money ("lion share" of it) only shows up in 4Q12 financial report..

NCSoft own words.

Typical - I'm not even done editing my post and you JUMP on with a response. You just want someone to argue with. You no longer have that.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

2/07/13 10:08:24 AM#28

Lets see.

NCSoft own words.

Typical - I'm not even done editing my post and you JUMP on with a response. You just want someone to argue with. You no longer have that.

Yeah Gaia, he wasn't done editing, didn't you know that?  Could you please wait until we're all done editing and then ask us if it's okay to quote our replies? (beause it's the funniest emote on the site)

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Onecrazyguy

Novice Member

2/07/13 10:13:53 AM#29

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Lets see.

NCSoft own words.

How do you figure 20 bucks per game? They report full revenue which would be much higher than that on retail games. I think your math is off...

Four0Six

Hard Core Member

2/07/13 10:18:07 AM#30
Originally posted by kabitoshin

I hope they don't expect those kinds of initial sales for an expansion :D

Some people like solo player MMORPGS.  Some don't.  That's the mix of people who bought this game (via hype).

The expansion will sell far fewer than the vanilla launch.

It is the game's design that is one of random group zerg. That is what you assert, but you try and lay the blame on societies feet. All of biology is LAZY, just as any fly fisherman. A trout wont chase a fly that doesnt produce more calories than it takes to catch it. People are the same. If you provide more rewards to "Zerg up and roll", that is what they will do. If you provide a system that rewards "build a group", that is what they will do.

bcbully

Elite Member

2/07/13 10:18:54 AM#31
Originally posted by QSatu
I have my doubts. GW2 seems like a polar opposite of what Chinese like in their games.

If the 20 million playing AoW is an indication, I would have to agree.

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

User Deleted
2/07/13 10:23:48 AM#32
Originally posted by Four0Six

It is the game's design that is one of random group zerg. That is what you assert, but you try and lay the blame on societies feet. All of biology is LAZY, just as any fly fisherman. A trout wont chase a fly that doesnt produce more calories than it takes to catch it. People are the same. If you provide more rewards to "Zerg up and roll", that is what they will do. If you provide a system that rewards "build a group", that is what they will do.

When basic natural needs = entertainment then youll be right.

PvE pays MUCH more than WvWVW and i still do minimum PvE. Im special? Dont think so, when you provide more avenues to same goal in ENTERTAINMENT people will ultimately choose what they like the best.

Forced grouping provided nothing but pitful results and anti-social behavour (it is pretty much definition of anti-social).

"Old school MMOs" forced people to do certain things and forced them to do them in a certain way, and that was ultimately their complete failure, because vast majority rejected that line of reasoning.

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

2/07/13 10:28:44 AM#33
Gotta say I find 2.9M total boxes sold disappointingly low for the game that was anticipated as "be all, end all". I can say I don't know any single person that has spent a dime in the cash shop, but as long as they're not losing money, there is hope that they'll fix the game's problems and have returning players. I already paid for the box, so may as well check it out if they improve it somehow.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

OP  2/07/13 10:47:07 AM#34

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter

Lets see.

NCSoft own words.

I'm not arguing.

I'm saying you are wrong and had you listened to the conference call you would know that you are wrong- the $40M of 3Q12 don't include 2 million sales.

Had you done your research you would also know it is estimated NCSoft gets $48 per box sold by Anet via their website.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild0-wars-2-thanksgiving-in-tyria/

--------------

Edit:

Lets explain step by step my estimates:

We know GW2 had $41M sales in 3Q12 and $109M in 4Q12.

I estimate (at least) 50% digital sales at $48 direct revenue and 50% digital and box sales at varied prices from 3rd party with  an average of $30.

So $72M + $45M = $117M box sales

$33M microtransactions, or 22% of the revenue generated by GW2.

$33M/4 months = $8.25M/month or $100M/year if gem sales remain flat.

Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

botrytis

Elite Member

2/07/13 11:09:33 AM#35
If you look at the report (the pdf on NCSoft's website) - A.Net netted 52,790 million KRW in Q4 = 48.33 million US Dollars. That is in Q4 alone - it is huge.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

OP  2/07/13 11:50:37 AM#36
Originally posted by botrytis
If you look at the report (the pdf on NCSoft's website) - A.Net netted 52,790 million KRW in Q4 = 48.33 million US Dollars. That is in Q4 alone - it is huge.

$110M actually for GW2.

GW2 sales go through Arenanet, NCSoft Europe and NC Interactive.

Nadia

Elite Member

2/07/13 12:08:03 PM#37
Originally posted by Icewhite

launch in China is going to sky-rocket sales!

It will feel good to hear the world to revert to the subs arguments tellng us how China doesn't count again.

I think Blizzard confused gamers (essentially simple creatures) with "China totally counts". Because up to that point, EQ fans had been telling us it didn't.

amusing and i agree

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

OP  2/07/13 12:32:10 PM#38
Originally posted by Nadia

amusing and i agree

China totally counts just not $15 a pop. :)

Ramonski7

Spotlight Poster

"A wise man has something to say, but a fool just has to say something."

2/07/13 1:25:23 PM#39

amusing and i agree

The chinese have a cheap way of playing online (taken from wiki):

Although China's growing economy has boosted the economic prospects of most Chinese in the last couple of decades, the cost of a personal computer, video game console, or Internet connection remains prohibitive for many Chinese. Because of this, Internet cafes and Internet cafe gaming have become quite popular in the country. Rather than purchasing their own hardware and software, users are simply charged a small fee (often by the hour) to use an Internet cafe computer which often comes preloaded with a selection of games. Internet cafes have contributed significantly to the growing number of young Chinese computer addicts. Chinese internet cafes often impose age limits to protect minors from what may be adult content.

And with so many chinese internet cafes do you really think ANets profits will be coming from box sales or cash shop? Think hard before you answer. People here were so quick to dismiss Blizzard and their counting of chinese subs. But truth be told, chinese gamers still had to make a commitment to actual PAY for something with WoW, WoW physical times card could not be used for anything other than playing WoW. There is no such stipulation for ANet and GW2, yet. And since cafes will be supplying the software and the cash shop has always been touted as light on gameplay reliance what need would any of those chinese players have to buy anything?

This leaves only one option for ANet to take... (same thing Blizzard did) sell physical time cards. Mark my words, soon ANet will be charging a sub (albeit a chinese wow-type sub at least) to make a bulk of their money in China. I wonder then will WoW's chinese way of counting subs count for ANet then? I mean their parent company NCSoft did do this with Aion through Shanda when they released it in China. As read here:

The publisher then decided to establish a new model for the game in China, where users had to purchase physical time cards which afforded more hours playing the game; essentially making it an extended version of the classic arcade cabinet system.

You can find the whole article here. Either way it goes I will be curious to see how the WoW-chinese-players-are-cheap-so-they-don't-count detractors react to ANet's stance to charge chinese players more for something we play cheaper for once we buy the initial box. Will the shoe be on the other foot and we become the cheap ass western players that don't count then?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

OP  2/07/13 1:39:24 PM#40
Originally posted by Ramonski7

amusing and i agree

The chinese have a cheap way of playing online (taken from wiki):

Although China's growing economy has boosted the economic prospects of most Chinese in the last couple of decades, the cost of a personal computer, video game console, or Internet connection remains prohibitive for many Chinese. Because of this, Internet cafes and Internet cafe gaming have become quite popular in the country. Rather than purchasing their own hardware and software, users are simply charged a small fee (often by the hour) to use an Internet cafe computer which often comes preloaded with a selection of games. Internet cafes have contributed significantly to the growing number of young Chinese computer addicts. Chinese internet cafes often impose age limits to protect minors from what may be adult content.

And with so many chinese internet cafes do you really think ANets profits will be coming from box sales or cash shop? Think hard before you answer. People here were so quick to dismiss Blizzard and their counting of chinese subs. But truth be told, chinese gamers still had to make a commitment to actual PAY for something with WoW, WoW physical times card could not be used for anything other than playing WoW. There is no such stipulation for ANet and GW2, yet. And since cafes will be supplying the software and the cash shop has always been touted as light on gameplay reliance what need would any of those chinese players have to buy anything?

This leaves only one option for ANet to take... (same thing Blizzard did) sell physical time cards. Mark my words, soon ANet will be charging a sub (albeit a chinese wow-type sub at least) to make a bulk of their money in China. I wonder then will WoW's chinese way of counting subs count for ANet then? I mean their parent company NCSoft did do this with Aion through Shanda when they released it in China. As read here:

The publisher then decided to establish a new model for the game in China, where users had to purchase physical time cards which afforded more hours playing the game; essentially making it an extended version of the classic arcade cabinet system.

You can find the whole article here. Either way it goes I will be curious to see how the WoW-chinese-players-are-cheap-so-they-don't-count detractors react to ANet's stance to charge chinese players more for something we play cheaper for once we buy the initial box. Will the shoe be on the other foot and we become the cheap ass western players that don't count then?

It is easy.

Arenanet will sell the accounts to players and get microtransactions.

We will look at boxes sold and revenue instead of saying 6 million China subs = 6M*$15.

Chinese players that play WoW in cafes don't have to buy the box by the way.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search