Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,446 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,400
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » The depth of combat in GW2.

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Search
185 posts found
  NaughtyP

Novice Member

12/13/12 2:29:01 PM#181

The depth I think depends on the class. Playing something like my Necro requires a lot of concentration and use of many abilities to be successful. I would call that depth, since you can't just spam 1-2 abilities. Playing my Guardian is almost the exact opposite. It's basically hack 'n slash with a few support abilities as needed, but pretty fun nonethless. Of course none of this actually matters since WvW culling is so atrocious you'll be dead before you know it.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Faelsun

Advanced Member

12/13/12 3:58:45 PM#182
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
Originally posted by Faelsun
Originally posted by The_Korrigan

What amazes me is that the people pretending GW2's combat is "simplistic" never consider it may be their own fault for not adapting to it

There is no adapting to worry about, an experienced pvper will get this pvp system and most of the combo fields in no time if they stay up a few days doing pvp matches. Hell my ranger was all about combo fields it was a good part of my damange. But even with combo fields and traits its still boring simplistic spam nonsense.

I think maybe you are not considering you may have lower expectations or be playing at a lower skill cap and maybe think  the pvp is more difficult than it actually is.

I think maybe you should read and quote my full post instead of just one sentence, since the answer to your "maybe" is in it. But then, it wouldn't have given you that nice opportunity to bash me and the game with assumptions about me and my play style instead of sticking to facts and arguments.

That one sentence pretty much sums up everything you said so why bother, lets see basically you think that everyone that doesnt like GW2s simplistic pvp system is a former WOW player who cant possibly grasp ten hot keys and that you played AC. Got it. Apparently there is a rich unknown tapestry of combo fields and specs and tactics they they have not discovered yet. If only the poor souls could grasp team play and combo fields, everything would be better. It cant possibly because they find themselves nodding off to sleep in sPVP matches finding that even getting great scores feels utterly boring in such a  BORING pvp experience. The system itself had potential but its dumbed down to much skills are bracketed too much into groupings weapon and hotbar skills are focuessed to much on dps with little diversity and there is lack of ranged viabiltiy and support viability for ANY support spec, all of those serve a very minor role. You dont have to take my word for it even some of the TOP players in pvp will tell you there is a certain lack of debth in non dps classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hByqoWsnz-I

Curious how those top players didn't talk about any of your complains.

They just said they play 8 or more hours per day, they talked how bunker builds are more manageable, they talked about the changes to the down state and how now rez skills are more useful (some like the change, some don't), they talked how the elementalist down state is too good due to mist form, there is some talk on how warriors aren't viable due to CC teams (what CC in GW2 and a powerful melee character isn't viable?), some whine on how warriors can't deal with conditions.

Or did you want to link some other video?

No thats the right video, but its an  hour long and you just cherry picked the first 15 to 20 minutes. You might want to actually watch it. They do indeed point out lack of spec diversity and the Zerg effect.

Gaia_Hunter

Hard Core Member

12/13/12 4:13:04 PM#183
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

What amazes me is that the people pretending GW2's combat is "simplistic" never consider it may be their own fault for not adapting to it

There is no adapting to worry about, an experienced pvper will get this pvp system and most of the combo fields in no time if they stay up a few days doing pvp matches. Hell my ranger was all about combo fields it was a good part of my damange. But even with combo fields and traits its still boring simplistic spam nonsense.

I think maybe you are not considering you may have lower expectations or be playing at a lower skill cap and maybe think  the pvp is more difficult than it actually is.

I think maybe you should read and quote my full post instead of just one sentence, since the answer to your "maybe" is in it. But then, it wouldn't have given you that nice opportunity to bash me and the game with assumptions about me and my play style instead of sticking to facts and arguments.

That one sentence pretty much sums up everything you said so why bother, lets see basically you think that everyone that doesnt like GW2s simplistic pvp system is a former WOW player who cant possibly grasp ten hot keys and that you played AC. Got it. Apparently there is a rich unknown tapestry of combo fields and specs and tactics they they have not discovered yet. If only the poor souls could grasp team play and combo fields, everything would be better. It cant possibly because they find themselves nodding off to sleep in sPVP matches finding that even getting great scores feels utterly boring in such a  BORING pvp experience. The system itself had potential but its dumbed down to much skills are bracketed too much into groupings weapon and hotbar skills are focuessed to much on dps with little diversity and there is lack of ranged viabiltiy and support viability for ANY support spec, all of those serve a very minor role. You dont have to take my word for it even some of the TOP players in pvp will tell you there is a certain lack of debth in non dps classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hByqoWsnz-I

Curious how those top players didn't talk about any of your complains.

They just said they play 8 or more hours per day, they talked how bunker builds are more manageable, they talked about the changes to the down state and how now rez skills are more useful (some like the change, some don't), they talked how the elementalist down state is too good due to mist form, there is some talk on how warriors aren't viable due to CC teams (what CC in GW2 and a powerful melee character isn't viable?), some whine on how warriors can't deal with conditions.

Or did you want to link some other video?

No thats the right video, but its an  hour long and you just cherry picked the first 15 to 20 minutes. You might want to actually watch it. They do indeed point out lack of spec diversity and the Zerg effect.

I actually listened to it a some time ago.

If I'm not mistaken the one talking about spec diversity is the dev.

Of course the spec diversity he mentions is more weapon/traits/utility skills combinations and not healers/cc'ers/tanks.

Also fun in sPvP talking about zerging when pretty much everyone in there plays a roamer.

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, King of Tokyo

Silentstorm

Advanced Member

12/13/12 9:03:50 PM#184
This game has alot of depth it's just not face roll apparent. I just released a vid today on guardian combat and combo's . So much depth in that one class I couldn't even cover it all in 30 minutes. And could easily go on for another hour plus fleshing out different combos and situations. And this is just one class mind you. So it leaves me to wonder are people just whining or really just don't know.
  Calerxes

Spotlight Poster

OP  12/14/12 1:34:27 PM#185
Originally posted by Silentstorm
This game has alot of depth it's just not face roll apparent. I just released a vid today on guardian combat and combo's . So much depth in that one class I couldn't even cover it all in 30 minutes. And could easily go on for another hour plus fleshing out different combos and situations. And this is just one class mind you. So it leaves me to wonder are people just whining or really just don't know.

Nice vid I'll have a better look over the weekend, Silentstorm.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Search