Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,398 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,215
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Guild Wars 2 Player Numbers

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
165 posts found
  lilHeala

Novice Member

10/12/12 7:07:14 AM#61
Originally posted by JackFrosty
Originally posted by Amjoco

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

So you just defined every single mmorpg.

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

Every other mmo at release just has a handful of dungeons, all lower level content made obsolete instantly and a handful of repeatable static daily quests. Can't say that's more to do than in GW2.

Nadia

Tipster

10/12/12 7:17:29 AM#62
Originally posted by Xasapis
Originally posted by Rider071
It's not a F2P game.

No, it's not. But it does share the exact same characteristics the populations of F2P have and thus it's impossible and irrelevant to try and computer player numbers the way you'd do it in a subscription based mmorpg.

most sub mmos do not give their player numbers - its a moot point

try to find press releases for sub#s for Trion, Turbine, SOE and others

kaiser3282

Tipster

10/12/12 7:23:40 AM#63
Originally posted by lilHeala
Originally posted by Amjoco

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

So you just defined every single mmorpg.

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

Every other mmo at release just has a handful of dungeons, all lower level content made obsolete instantly and a handful of repeatable static daily quests. Can't say that's more to do than in GW2.

But lilHeala, didnt you know? Just because someone doesnt like doing a particular thing means that it doesnt exist and there is nothing to do.

Raiding for gear doesnt exist in WoW. Why? Because i dont like it and choose not to do it, therefore it magically stops existing. It doesnt matte rthat millions of others are doing it. Im not, so theyre all liars.

Also Call of Duty doesnt exist. Why? Because I dont like shooting people. Therefore games that consist of running around shooting people dont exist.

Yes. I know how ridiculous both of those sound. Yet its still the logic and mentality that people like Jack use. "I dont like it, so it doesnt exist"

Mahavishnu

Novice Member

10/12/12 7:23:47 AM#64
Threads like this one make me wounder, if there is one guy working in the Blizzard-office, who does nothing but writing flame-threads, posting bad comments and giving bad ratings for GW2 all day long.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

AmbrosiaAmor

Novice Member

10/12/12 7:28:33 AM#65

Everyone I know left for Guild Wars 2. I feel the OP's pain.

I hate that game with every ounce of my quartz.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

10/12/12 7:33:35 AM#66
Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Everyone i know is still there or planning to join in the future.

I dont see the OP´s problem at all

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Xasapis

Tipster

10/12/12 7:35:32 AM#67
Originally posted by Nadia
Originally posted by Rider071
It's not a F2P game.

No, it's not. But it does share the exact same characteristics the populations of F2P have and thus it's impossible and irrelevant to try and computer player numbers the way you'd do it in a subscription based mmorpg.

most sub mmos do not give their player numbers - its a moot point

try to find press releases for sub#s for Trion, Turbine, SOE and others

Actually it's the opposite, with most subscription based mmorpgs, you have a rather good idea how well they stand popularity wise. You know for example that EVE is growing despite so many years that have passed, that SW:TOR is plummeting, that TSW started very low and so on. Thing is, the subscription itself makes the popularity over time tangible and identifiable.

How will you measure the popularity (or compare them) of Allods, Forsaken World, Raiderz etc. and how can you compare them with the subscription based games?

You can't. Subscription based success is based solely on retention. F2P success is based solely on the cash shop. Once you pay the entry fee (or lifetime fee if you like) for GW2, the only thing that matters is the popularity of the cash shop.

That is, if we want to actually measure popularity based in some form in other mmorpgs, P2P or F2P. We can also measure popularity based as a initial sales numbers, ie, move the comparison to the Diablo III leage of games or even Skyrim.

Amjoco

Elite Member

10/12/12 7:39:54 AM#68
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Everyone i know is still there or planning to join in the future.

I dont see the OP´s problem at all

I agree. Amazon is still showing GW2 as one of the top PC sales. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

User Deleted
10/12/12 7:47:20 AM#69
Originally posted by FrodoFragins
This is what can happen when a company tries being innovative.  Before it released, it sounded plausible that people would keep playing even if there wasn't a gear progression treadmill.  That hope may be cracking at this point.  I realized that once my character stops progressing, my drive to play the game takes a dive.  I then look for another game where I can at least level up in.

I feel the same way. That's why I play CoD/BF3 more than CS, even though (in my mind) CS is a far better game. Progression is a pretty revolutionary meta-game, like it or not. Changed a lot in the videogame space.

User Deleted
10/12/12 7:48:12 AM#70
Continued success of this game will be based on expansion sales, not dumb threads made by obsessed fanatics of other games.
  Nadia

Tipster

10/12/12 7:53:51 AM#71

F2P success is based solely on the cash shop. Once you pay the entry fee (or lifetime fee if you like) for GW2, the only thing that matters is the popularity of the cash shop.

That is, if we want to actually measure popularity based in some form in other mmorpgs, P2P or F2P. We can also measure popularity based as a initial sales numbers, ie, move the comparison to the Diablo III leage of games or even Skyrim.

I agree w you that its difficult to compare different business models, w the exception of unit sales

ANET has the ability to announce concurrent GW2 players, if they choose to

but that doesnt help unless sub mmos announce concurrent players

(having an active sub does not mean you played the game that month)

b2p relies on more players buying copies - like D3

beyond the cash shop, GW2 will be relying on players buying future expansions (a form of retention)

User Deleted
10/12/12 7:58:15 AM#72
Originally posted by Caliburn101

Do you beleive people are leaving the game only to stop off here and click 10/10 in the hype-meter as they uninstall the game?

This may come as a shock to you, but an unimaginably larger number of players DON'T frequent mmorpg.com.

Weird, I know, but there you have it.

If you want to gauge a game's success by how it fares on this site, then I've got some charts from a site starting with "X" I'd like you to check out. Same basic thing.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

10/12/12 8:01:36 AM#73
Every day there is a Q to get into WvW on my server. High level areas are packed and people are always outside dungeons forming teams.
  Betaguy

Advanced Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

10/12/12 8:04:29 AM#74
Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
Ok Hi All, I dunno what is happening all of the sudden but what i going on With Guild Wars 2 I dont see my Guildmates getting Online Or Even On Vent and also I watch allot of Twitch.Tv  and people are stopingto play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why I dont want to have the same feeling Star Wars The Old Republic had on me when it was release it was a bad feeling I dont want to feel like that again. Help!!!!

Jump ship now or hunker down for the longhaul. Thats my advice to you.

User Deleted
10/12/12 8:06:09 AM#75
Originally posted by XasapisIn F2P games (and GW2) such a subscription is not necessary or relevant. You can basically play today for 5 days, then not pick the game for 2 months, then play for 2 months straight and then never touch the game ever again. How do you compute player numbers?

I can play for 5 days, then not pick the game up for 2 months and resub again in any MMO.

Doesn't stop you fanatics to cry over how WoW is dying EVERY YEAR DURING THE SUMMER, haha.

Always laugh my ass of when I see that.

User Deleted
10/12/12 8:06:23 AM#76

In the EU in the evening the majority of the servers are high load with a few medium load servers and no low ones . I can't move for people questing in the open world even at the low levels . My guess is if anything active player numbers are on the rise .

I would take the OPs comments with a pinch of salt .

On a side note I love the buy to play model . I plan to support it by getting the War Z and Planetside 2 . I hope it becomes more common . It seems silly of developers releasing games like ToR which would have been a great buy to play game under a subscription model only to find they have to go free to play within a year or two when it starts to fail .

ReaperUk

Hard Core Member

10/12/12 8:08:39 AM#77

If anyone thinks the game is dying, I can only think they must be on an underpopulated server and  need to switch to a busier one. I play on Gandara and that's mostly during the daytime rather than evenings. Wherever I go, whether it be to explore Vistas, POI's, Hearts, Skill Challenges or simply exploring out of the way nooks and crannies on the map, I will see other people there. From late afternoon onwards, there is still always a queue for WvWvW.

Dying guilds? We stopped actively recruiting for ours when the game launched and still haven't lost enough members to warrant advertising for more yet. Whatever time of day I log on there will be other members showing in the guild tab. From memory, I think we've had one transfer to a US server, one was kicked for playing with another guild, which is against our rules, a couple are taking a break for real life issues reducing their playing time and a couple have said they'll be around less because they want to play in WoW MP or Borderlands 2.

No doubt we'll lose a few more temporarily to expansion releases in other games such as LotRO and Rift but because of the buy to play nature of GW2 I expect most of them will return after a while when new content/expansions for GW2 are released. All the signs are that this game stands to have an extremely long life.

Xtriz

Novice Member

Our news site: www.ogt-gaming.com

10/12/12 8:12:50 AM#78

Wierd, when im playing its very active servers.

Xtriz3d Xfire Miniprofile
  bcbully

Elite Member

10/12/12 8:13:27 AM#79
In 2 weeks GW2 will fall below Minecraft and diablo 3. A week after that it will fall below Starcraft, Arma 2, and Swtor, if this trend continues on Xfire. 
  Reizla

Elite Member

MMORPGs are no longer about the mass multi-user anymore *sadly*

10/12/12 8:14:06 AM#80
Originally posted by thekid1

Eh I logged in just now after two weeks not playing and saw most servers on high (EU) and some full (US).

Seems healthy enough.

I logged out after 30 minutes or so, for some reason I have to force myself to play and that means it's time for a new game. DAMN.

Same here. Though GW2 is an awesome game, I'm just not enjoying it atm. I've put it aside a bit and hope I'll be able to play it again sometime next month...

Demigoth's RPG adventures ~ My blog

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX660 (ASUS/EVGA) 3x HD monitor spanned 5760x1080
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search