Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Albion Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,112 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,378
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

13 Pages First « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Search
252 posts found
  smh_alot

Apprentice Member

10/11/12 4:15:37 PM#221
People forget, ANet was the fastest with GW expansions, they had 2 within 1.5 years. Next to that, they've always been spot-on with other content and their events were second to none. If they can have a sortlike speedy progression with GW2, then it has quite a lot to offer past 2012.
  Swanea

Advanced Member

10/11/12 4:25:06 PM#222

It's been quite some time since I was here.

I said way back when, I would play both TOR and GW2.

I have since quit playing both.  Including betas, I played TOR for a much longer period.  My guild and friends stayed in TOR for a mostly longer period.

I did not hate GW2 at all. I had been looking forward to it for such a long time.  It's just...bland.  The PvE combat seems more about mashing anything not on cooldown rather than waiting to use things, even in the "hardcore explore mode" dungeons.  The PvP is fun, no doubt.  That will be the only thing that keeps me playing every once in a while.

Honestly, I wouldn't say it was a dissappointment, just that it was...pretty meh...as the game went on.  No LFG, no dungeon finder, bugged dungeons/zoning, the game felt forced on me as I played the PvE.  The PvP was quite good and I am looking forward to the changes they mentioned.

I do plan on playing TOR again (I quit because of the summer steam sale, actually since I bought a bunch of games cheap ;p).  Im sure I will kick up GW2 for the PvP now and than, only to quit because no one wants someone who is only rank 10 or so three months from now.

Karteli

Apprentice Member

10/11/12 4:26:31 PM#223
Originally posted by smh_alot
People forget, ANet was the fastest with GW expansions, they had 2 within 1.5 years. Next to that, they've always been spot-on with other content and their events were second to none. If they can have a sortlike speedy progression with GW2, then it has quite a lot to offer past 2012.

Kind of a a non-shock, though.  I would expect ArenaNet to capitalize on potential revenue with their B2P game format by continually investing in new sources of revenue - especially to help compensate for a lack of subscription.  B2P games in this sense, are only temporarily "free" after purchase, unless you never upgrade of course.  Not upgrading usually leaves legacy players in the dust though, because of accelerated equipment upgrades and mudflation (basic mats start costing huge amounts in an AH / trading post).

It would likely still be less expensive for customers to buy an x-pac every 6 months ($40-$60), as opposed to a $80-$90 subscription.  This part I don't think has anyone concerned.  But issues like presented in this thread should be addressed and the existing game should be enhanced with a followup expansion.  More of the same game won't cut it .. Player housing like in SWG, c'mon.... more interaction and information availability to players ..  more emotes .. a better feeling of progress?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

KingJiggly

Novice Member

Definition for innovation is below. Your welcome.

10/11/12 4:31:58 PM#224
Yep.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

Mike87

Novice Member

10/11/12 4:50:03 PM#225

Honestly, I voted longer than a year, in hopes that they step it up a few notches concerning the entertainment post level 75.....

Another thing making me hate this game is, Legendary weapons!! They are way too hard to get, I mean come on, anyone else seen what it takes to get just one Legendary weapon?????? -__-

I was a Guild Wars fanboy, not so much anymore...... But for the amount of money I paid, I highly doubt there is a better MMO RPG out there....???

User Deleted
10/11/12 4:57:17 PM#226
Originally posted by Purutzil
Originally posted by Elikal

SANDBOX

GAMES

HAVE

NO LONGEVITY 

FOR

NEW

PLAYERS

When will sandbox players realize this and notice the reason games like Minecraft have become successful is in part due to the fact its quite easy for a fresh start on a new server where one player doesn't hold all the power. Sandbox leaves a massive gaping hole where a few gain power early, leaving the rest high and dry with new players having very little chance to do anything worthwild, particularly on their own.

How can you say they offer no longevity for new players on the one hand and then insinuate it would take new players a long time to reach the apex of the game on the other?

The fact of the matter is many want to be "teh bad ass" within three weeks flat, without the need for, or to have to via against, other players. Games which offer the chance for everyone to be faux top dogs within a multiplayer environment provide that.

Karteli

Apprentice Member

10/11/12 5:05:10 PM#227
Originally posted by Mike87

Honestly, I voted longer than a year, in hopes that they step it up a few notches concerning the entertainment post level 75.....

Another thing making me hate this game is, Legendary weapons!! They are way too hard to get, I mean come on, anyone else seen what it takes to get just one Legendary weapon?????? -__-

I was a Guild Wars fanboy, not so much anymore...... But for the amount of money I paid, I highly doubt there is a better MMO RPG out there....???

I could only hope that there might (one day) be an actual reason to obtain legendary weapons other than new item pixels.  Maybe even if the items had a clicky component to do something non-competitive, like make it rain over you.  Or a passive competitive element to teleport you to safety, even during combat, once every X hours, etc. ...

I can't get on board though to players wanting every little detail a game can offer with the least effort, even if legendaries don't interest me.  For instance, Blizzards obsession with making the game more accessible kind of killed longevity for me.  There should always be some stuff in an MMO that are just flat out hard or time consuming to get.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

User Deleted
10/11/12 6:44:24 PM#228
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

So that 27% who say they've already stopped....

How many are just Haters and have never even played the game or have no intentions. they just want to slant the poll?

Good point...next question...

So that 47% who say they'll play for over a year...

How many are just fanboys that blindly defend the game because they can't stand it when someone doesn't drool over what they enjoy? They just want to slant the poll?

See how that works?

austriacus

Novice Member

10/11/12 7:29:41 PM#229
Originally posted by grimgryphon

How many are just Haters and have never even played the game or have no intentions. they just want to slant the poll?

How many are just fanboys that blindly defend the game because they can't stand it when someone doesn't drool over what they enjoy? They just want to slant the poll?

See how that works?

the difference is that those fanboys as you call them are most likely still playing the game so they are relevant, while the haters who havent even touched the game are not

See how that works?

Cyrael

Novice Member

10/11/12 7:39:25 PM#230
I played City of Heroes for 4+ years, WoW for 3+, LotRO for 3+, Aion and FFXIV for about a year. I expect GW2 to keep me entertained for at least as long as Aion and FFXIV, probably closer to WoW/LotRO.
  slash_pet_attack

Novice Member

Slaying rats, skeletons, and raid mobs since 2002.

10/11/12 8:29:40 PM#231
I plan on sticking around for a while..at least until Everquest 3..if that ever gets released and depending on how the game mechanics are.  As of now this is the game I'm sticking with.

pedrostrik

Novice Member

10/11/12 8:30:17 PM#232

i like GW2 and i think i'll play for the next years, im L60 and L39 playing from day 0 , but very few hours by week (RL affairs).
Although, i must tell there's one thing that i really miss from GW1 - those infinite builds (some for pvp others to farm UW/FoW or greens), and above all the elite skill hunting - jeez i really miss those fights to get my 100º elite skill ... for me the GW2 skill gameplay its far worse than original GW1 - ok i like the new features as moving while casting or the dodge feature but i really miss those builds from GW1

Torvaldr

Elite Member

10/11/12 10:39:24 PM#233

See how that works?

Well the fanboys will probably play the game for more than a year.  If you're that hardcore of a fan that isn't so hard to believe.  That's why the positive numbers in these polls make more sense and are likely to be accurate.  Whereas the negative numbers very well could be people trolling the poll.

A good poll is really tricky.

I voted more than a year based on the premise that I've played GW1 since launch and I'm liking GW2 even more.  I don't have to pay a sub and can play at my own pace.  Why wouldn't I play more than a year?

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Br3akingDawn

Advanced Member

10/11/12 10:49:38 PM#234
Why not? Sure maybe not as crazy as I had on release (took 2weeks off to play) but I bought the game and its f2p, and hearing that there be free contents down the line, definitely will play on and off. But atm am getting a little bored. The game is fun but its just missing something important to me and thats finding friends in a mmo where I can play with over and over again with or just socialize daily with. But besides doing dungeons, most part of leveling doesnt req me or anyone to socialize. Its do this heart  that heart this SP and run along. It almost feels like im playing alone with some random npc coming up joining me in the killing.

SchuMidas

Apprentice Member

10/12/12 12:58:15 AM#235

bots and cheat is every reason in every game i left

not saying a bit bots make its problem, but gw2 have overflow of bots in every corner. even the ones that reported for 3 weeks still around on their steady spot.

worst cs ever

smh_alot

Apprentice Member

10/12/12 2:42:53 AM#236
Originally posted by Torvaldr

See how that works?

Well the fanboys will probably play the game for more than a year.  If you're that hardcore of a fan that isn't so hard to believe.  That's why the positive numbers in these polls make more sense and are likely to be accurate.  Whereas the negative numbers very well could be people trolling the poll.

A good poll is really tricky.

I voted more than a year based on the premise that I've played GW1 since launch and I'm liking GW2 even more.  I don't have to pay a sub and can play at my own pace.  Why wouldn't I play more than a year?

So... basically what some people here are saying is that any negative poll here that's about a game - whether that's GW2, SWTOR, WoW/MoP, TSW, TERA etc - is unreliable, bc you'll have trolls and haters skewing the results? Interesting argument.

Thing is, there've always been many fans of games, even of GW2, that don't always stay fan, as seen a lot of times on these forums on this site with the amount of perpetually disgruntled and low-threshold intolerants roaming this site, so it's certainly not an automatic given that they'll stick around :-) Poll is lacking concrete body, but then again, what gives.
  lilHeala

Novice Member

10/12/12 6:48:38 AM#237

It's my new main game and my previous main game (lotro) lasted me 5 years while also playing other games (all major ones released basically) on the side.

I find myself having more stuffs to do in GW2 thanks to the downscaling (in PVE I'm the explorer / completionist type), really enjoying WvW, only scratched the surface of sPVP but will start tournaments soon, I've only done 4 story mode dungeons so far so still many paths to do, have only 1 lvl 80 and 1 lvl 35 with other 3 slots occupied by fresh characters so the altoholic will soon be relieved from his cold turkey, haven't maxed any crafting yet, am at 56% map completion etc.

At this rate (I've played 2 weeks after launch 16 hours a day, weekends still play 16 hrs per day and weekdays 3-4 hours per day) when I start getting the feeling I've been there and done that probably the first content update has been released :)

Of course it's a fresh game with still stuffs to be optimized and to be added but I'm confident I'll have things to enjoy for a long time to come which will definitely be past 2012.

Rhianni32

Novice Member

10/12/12 7:14:02 AM#238
Originally posted by nate1980

WvWvW also wasn't nearly as fun as DAoC, in fact, it wasn't any fun at all. It was pretty much be max level with good gear, or go home, because if you're not ranged you don't have much to do. If you get too close, you get focused and insta killed, and the long run back due to the long travel times made it less likely you were to want to engage, which made the entire experience even more boring. 

DAOC was my first MMO and I loved it but DAOC had a far worse problem of power differences because of realm ranks and artifacts. Here in WvW a person can actually do things and expect a reasonable chance of contributing. DAOC also had a far worse problem of standing around at the doors if you were melee. I have to wonder if you aren't having rose colored glasses with DAOC. My lvl 40 guardian is doing much more things in WvW then my RR6.5 warden with 5 lvl 10 artifcats ever did.

User Deleted
10/12/12 9:20:27 AM#239
Originally posted by austriacus

See how that works?

the difference is that those fanboys as you call them are most likely still playing the game so they are relevant, while the haters who havent even touched the game are not

See how that works?

Show me that data that proves those 27% never played the game and I might take your post seriously.

See how THAT works?

Fion

Novice Member

forums.3305local.com

We are recruiting.

10/12/12 1:06:40 PM#240

I'll be playing it for years to come. I played GW1 for six years.

However, I played GW1 and now GW2 not like other MMOGs, where folks make it their second home, log in every night, for hours and hours on the weekends, build up their net 'family' guilds and live in the game. GW2 and GW1 aren't built like that. Rather, they are like any other game, you play it off and on when you are having fun, and move to other things when you aren't. I played GW1 over six years, but in total I probably put 3-400 hours into those years, and often didn't log in for more than a month. I'll be doing the same with GW2. At the moment I'm not playing it a whole lot because there are just so many other great games out right now. But once that calms down, I'll be hopping back into GW2 more regularly.

It's so nice not having that monthly fee hanging over my head pushing me to get my moneys worth.

13 Pages First « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Search