Trending Games | Pirate101 | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,449 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,678
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » AC Exploreable Modes,,, OUCH

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
49 posts found
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

 
OP  10/06/12 8:06:41 AM#1

Finally got around to trying one of these out we choose the lover's tomb path.. By far the hardest dungeon I have played in recent memory. The numerous traps pretty much 1 shot you espeically the fire ones. The first spider boss puts out a ton of AOE poison damage all over the room, we finaly were able ot tackle her then the next big fight consists of a monk and couple others.. One of them is a warrior type with a whirlwind attack that pulls anything within a damn big range too him and insta kills anyone he pulls.. We tried this encounter several times before one of our members droppped out and it was getting late so we called it a night... even in the little bit of it we got through it was extremly challenging and look forward to going back in the future.

Another one I did finaly was CM story mode which people said was sooo easy.. I found it to be pretty damn challenging especially the couple rooms that have a swarm of those bandit types.. You get one swarm up stairs then another in the basement.. Also the second to last fight with the bombers was pretty hard as well but overall fun dungeon. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the dungeons and after the last few MMOs I have played nice change of pace to get a good challenge in dungeons.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  PaRoXiTiC

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/11/08
Posts: 514

10/06/12 9:27:09 AM#2

It is a pretty tough dungeon, but once you figure out all the ins and outs it takes literally 20-30 mins to speed run through it and it becomes pretty easy.

 

WIth a good group of 5 of course.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

 
OP  10/06/12 10:55:08 AM#3
Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

It is a pretty tough dungeon, but once you figure out all the ins and outs it takes literally 20-30 mins to speed run through it and it becomes pretty easy.

 

WIth a good group of 5 of course.

don't see how just for the fact of how much health the mobs have.. we were fighting one that we didn't wipe once on and it took 5 min just to take down that single mob due to its insane health pool...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  Reehay

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/15/05
Posts: 178

10/06/12 12:10:19 PM#4
i've done every Explorable Dungeon on every path and i found AC to be the most fun and balanced overall.. thought the layout of the dungeon to be great and allows for interesting fights. none of the bosses have wtf-stupid mechanics and they telegraph pretty well which allows observant players reasonable time to react. challenging and fun dungeon overall. i think Anet hit the sweet spot with AC explorable... whereas many of the other dungeon's are so ...well.. just odd. some bosses almost force you to revive zerg them which is fukin lame. but some bosses are easier than Story modes... wtf? Nightmare Tree in TA? go to sleep then wake up to loot. and in some dungeons the trash mob pulls are WAY harder than the actual bosses. dunno but alot of GW2 dungeons feel very "beta" to me. like they needed 1 more round of tweaking. but AC is pretty damn good overall.
  ebonized

Novice Member

Joined: 3/31/11
Posts: 61

10/06/12 2:10:53 PM#5

There is absolutely nothing worse than Arah explorable path 1. I swear this was designed for masochists. It takes forever (2 hours if you're lucky), the bosses are incredibly annoying, there's only ONE waypoint so you have to spend like 10 minutes walking back if you die, and for some silly reason you have to traverse through the ENTIRE dungeon as opposed to just one part of it like every other path in the game.

 

I'll never get the dungeon achievement at this rate :p

 

  GrayGhost79

Novice Member

Joined: 8/30/08
Posts: 4888

10/06/12 2:20:26 PM#6
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

It is a pretty tough dungeon, but once you figure out all the ins and outs it takes literally 20-30 mins to speed run through it and it becomes pretty easy.

 

WIth a good group of 5 of course.

don't see how just for the fact of how much health the mobs have.. we were fighting one that we didn't wipe once on and it took 5 min just to take down that single mob due to its insane health pool...

If you're on Jade Quarry I can take you on a run Aerowyn. Currently I'm doing AC all paths once a day and I do story modes for those that need help. Those that run them with me can tell you they are extremely easy.  It surprises many how easy these dungeons on when you learn them. You start to wonder how they ever posed a challenge for you to begin with.

 

My current dungeon runner is William Greymist, working up 2 more characters so that I can do 3 runs of each path a day.

 

 

  AvatarBlade

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/11/06
Posts: 773

10/06/12 2:21:07 PM#7
Originally posted by ebonized

There is absolutely nothing worse than Arah explorable path 1. I swear this was designed for masochists. It takes forever (2 hours if you're lucky), the bosses are incredibly annoying, there's only ONE waypoint so you have to spend like 10 minutes walking back if you die, and for some silly reason you have to traverse through the ENTIRE dungeon as opposed to just one part of it like every other path in the game.

 

I'll never get the dungeon achievement at this rate :p

 

Path one is the one with the gorilla boss? Or the minefield?

OT: AC explo is difficult untill you learn them, but interesting. Having a support guardian helps a lot. Easiest is Ghost Eater. The other 2 have borrow destroying events that can be quite challenging.

  GolbezTheLion

Novice Member

Joined: 9/27/12
Posts: 250

10/06/12 2:31:16 PM#8
Originally posted by AvatarBlade
Originally posted by ebonized

There is absolutely nothing worse than Arah explorable path 1. I swear this was designed for masochists. It takes forever (2 hours if you're lucky), the bosses are incredibly annoying, there's only ONE waypoint so you have to spend like 10 minutes walking back if you die, and for some silly reason you have to traverse through the ENTIRE dungeon as opposed to just one part of it like every other path in the game.

 

I'll never get the dungeon achievement at this rate :p

 

Path one is the one with the gorilla boss? Or the minefield?

OT: AC explo is difficult untill you learn them, but interesting. Having a support guardian helps a lot. Easiest is Ghost Eater. The other 2 have borrow destroying events that can be quite challenging.

I've found that having a defensive warrior along helps just as well, if not better, than a guard.

- AOE Healing every 20 Seconds

- AOE Condition Removal

- AOE Boons

- High CC Capability

- High uptime on Weakness debuff

Works extremely well for any of the explorable modes, and is much more versatile than a defensive guardian.

  User Deleted
10/06/12 2:33:13 PM#9
Originally posted by Aerowyn

Finally got around to trying one of these out we choose the lover's tomb path.. By far the hardest dungeon I have played in recent memory. The numerous traps pretty much 1 shot you espeically the fire ones. The first spider boss puts out a ton of AOE poison damage all over the room, we finaly were able ot tackle her then the next big fight consists of a monk and couple others.. One of them is a warrior type with a whirlwind attack that pulls anything within a damn big range too him and insta kills anyone he pulls.. We tried this encounter several times before one of our members droppped out and it was getting late so we called it a night... even in the little bit of it we got through it was extremly challenging and look forward to going back in the future.

Another one I did finaly was CM story mode which people said was sooo easy.. I found it to be pretty damn challenging especially the couple rooms that have a swarm of those bandit types.. You get one swarm up stairs then another in the basement.. Also the second to last fight with the bombers was pretty hard as well but overall fun dungeon. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the dungeons and after the last few MMOs I have played nice change of pace to get a good challenge in dungeons.

Hey Aerowyn, I am on SoR contact me in game you can run with my guild to do some of this stuff =).

 

Jump on Teamspeak any time 24.10.25.157 no pass,, we are actually running it as we speak.

  User Deleted
10/06/12 2:41:21 PM#10
Even rhe Anet devs said they had to use stratefies such as player combos to do well. Really difficult with pugs.
  AvatarBlade

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/11/06
Posts: 773

10/06/12 2:42:36 PM#11
Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
Originally posted by AvatarBlade
Originally posted by ebonized

There is absolutely nothing worse than Arah explorable path 1. I swear this was designed for masochists. It takes forever (2 hours if you're lucky), the bosses are incredibly annoying, there's only ONE waypoint so you have to spend like 10 minutes walking back if you die, and for some silly reason you have to traverse through the ENTIRE dungeon as opposed to just one part of it like every other path in the game.

 

I'll never get the dungeon achievement at this rate :p

 

Path one is the one with the gorilla boss? Or the minefield?

OT: AC explo is difficult untill you learn them, but interesting. Having a support guardian helps a lot. Easiest is Ghost Eater. The other 2 have borrow destroying events that can be quite challenging.

I've found that having a defensive warrior along helps just as well, if not better, than a guard.

- AOE Healing every 20 Seconds

- AOE Condition Removal

- AOE Boons

- High CC Capability

- High uptime on Weakness debuff

Works extremely well for any of the explorable modes, and is much more versatile than a defensive guardian.

Hmm think they both have areas where they shine better. Guardian has more aoe heals +  aoe blocks I think. Has AOE Cond remover. On boons don't know who has more. CC is moderate I'd say and no weakness.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

 
OP  10/06/12 2:45:58 PM#12
Originally posted by sammyeli
 

Hey Aerowyn, I am on SoR contact me in game you can run with my guild to do some of this stuff =).

 

Jump on Teamspeak any time 24.10.25.157 no pass,, we are actually running it as we speak.

need your character name:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  User Deleted
10/06/12 2:52:46 PM#13
Sammy Eli 
  ellobo29

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/02/08
Posts: 384

10/06/12 3:00:41 PM#14

after doing ARAH like 25 times now, i can say that it will eventually get eazier for you. problem is you need to not use pug groups. 

20 times i used pug groups and it was hard as hell to get through but 5 or so times i used guild mates i knew and trust, and it was a breeze.

http://medias.luna-atra.fr/gw2/char_tool/CT_imageGenerator.php?pseudo=Centurion%20Mikal&lang=EN&code=&code=TSwtLDUsLSw2LC0sMjksOSwyMiwyMywyNCwtLDEwMiwzNiw4MSw4NCw4OQ%3D%3D

  Fion

Novice Member

Joined: 7/25/03
Posts: 2356

forums.3305local.com

We are recruiting.

10/06/12 3:11:50 PM#15

Yes explorable with pugs can be a death trap for sure. Unless you get a group that has run them before and knows what they are doing, your chances of success are fairly minimal. However, with a guild or a set group of skilled players, using combos, tactics and positioning, the explorable dungeons are amongst the most fun I've experienced in MMOG gaming.

I see a lot of 'dungeons suck because they are to hard' threads (not this one, but others) on various forums. Poeple go into them expecting the same faceroll experience MMOG dungeons have had for half a decade. When they hit that wall (and all of us have), they freak. Unfortunately some never try a dungeon again and thus never get to experience just how fun they are with a good group or guild.

  KingJiggly

Novice Member

Joined: 8/03/11
Posts: 807

Definition for innovation is below. Your welcome.

10/06/12 3:24:08 PM#16
I want to try and solo ad now.... Engi turrets spam time!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

 
OP  10/06/12 3:53:52 PM#17
Originally posted by ellobo29

after doing ARAH like 25 times now, i can say that it will eventually get eazier for you. problem is you need to not use pug groups. 

20 times i used pug groups and it was hard as hell to get through but 5 or so times i used guild mates i knew and trust, and it was a breeze.

if you are required not to use PUGs for it to be easy i really don't consider the dungeon "easy".. in most other themeparks I could run all the regular dungeons and usually upto the second to hardest difficulty with PUGs no problem.. Usually for this game people I see who say dungeons are easy are running with friends and on some sort of voice chat and/or are way above the dungeons level.. Yes they scale but being well above the dungeon level does have several advantages making things a bit easier.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  aesperus

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4779

10/06/12 4:22:48 PM#18

So much missinformation.. all I'll say is this:

All dungeons are very PUGable. The trick is to make sure people are paying attention, people are listening to the groupl leader, and knowing the mechanics so you can explain them to the rest of the group. Most PUGs, just making sure these 3 conditions are met is more than enough for success. I see people claiming build X or build Y is required, but it's really all BS.

Having some variety definitely helps, but it really comes down to knowing the fights, and using what's available to deal w/ that. All classes have numerous skills to deal w/ a wide variety of situations. This is why when I run dungeons I rarely ever favor 1 class or another, and instead focus mostly on getting players who don't play foolishly. Which is how I think these games should be anyway.

As a few have said in this thread, most of the dungeons (AC included) really aren't that difficult. The challenge comes in the first few runs, when you don't know what to expect or how to deal w/ it. Once you figure that out the dungeons become fairly easy. AC actually turns into one of the easier dungeons once you understand the mechanics. It is a really fun dungeon, though. It has some really fast explorable runs, and some fairly interesting mechanics as well.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

 
OP  10/06/12 4:28:41 PM#19
Originally posted by aesperus

So much missinformation.. all I'll say is this:

All dungeons are very PUGable. The trick is to make sure people are paying attention, people are listening to the groupl leader, and knowing the mechanics so you can explain them to the rest of the group. Most PUGs, just making sure these 3 conditions are met is more than enough for success. I see people claiming build X or build Y is required, but it's really all BS.

Having some variety definitely helps, but it really comes down to knowing the fights, and using what's available to deal w/ that. All classes have numerous skills to deal w/ a wide variety of situations. This is why when I run dungeons I rarely ever favor 1 class or another, and instead focus mostly on getting players who don't play foolishly. Which is how I think these games should be anyway.

As a few have said in this thread, most of the dungeons (AC included) really aren't that difficult. The challenge comes in the first few runs, when you don't know what to expect or how to deal w/ it. Once you figure that out the dungeons become fairly easy. AC actually turns into one of the easier dungeons once you understand the mechanics. It is a really fun dungeon, though. It has some really fast explorable runs, and some fairly interesting mechanics as well.

done AC story mode 10 times now has been a pain in the ass every single time but once... the one time it wasn't a pain the entire group aside from me was level 80 and knew the dungeon well.. Every other time it was just 5 random people not on any sort of chat and we got through it each time but no way in hell would I say it's easy compared to Rifts dungeons for example.. I don't mind it being difficult but still find it odd people say it's cake with PUGs yet then say you need to know the fights and have a good leader... well most PUGs I have played only 1 or two of us have played the dungeon and with how fast paced the combat is it's not that easy to just say stand here or stand there since the mobs are all over the place.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  User Deleted
10/06/12 5:57:49 PM#20
Originally posted by aesperus

So much missinformation.. all I'll say is this:

All dungeons are very PUGable. The trick is to make sure people are paying attention, people are listening to the groupl leader, and knowing the mechanics so you can explain them to the rest of the group. Most PUGs, just making sure these 3 conditions are met is more than enough for success. I see people claiming build X or build Y is required, but it's really all BS.

Having some variety definitely helps, but it really comes down to knowing the fights, and using what's available to deal w/ that. All classes have numerous skills to deal w/ a wide variety of situations. This is why when I run dungeons I rarely ever favor 1 class or another, and instead focus mostly on getting players who don't play foolishly. Which is how I think these games should be anyway.

As a few have said in this thread, most of the dungeons (AC included) really aren't that difficult. The challenge comes in the first few runs, when you don't know what to expect or how to deal w/ it. Once you figure that out the dungeons become fairly easy. AC actually turns into one of the easier dungeons once you understand the mechanics. It is a really fun dungeon, though. It has some really fast explorable runs, and some fairly interesting mechanics as well.

Ya... Good luck finding random people to do that constantly. Honestly, I got to ask where you looked for them? In your guild maybe? Since I have yet to find a single competent random in my group since I've started. Literally me and my friend carrying the instance and the only ones surviving on our mains.

Again, not sure how you expect this from a pug. People will do what they want, roll the buffs they want and not care about the group 90% of the time.

Not saying that any explorer mode is not pugable, it can be, but good luck finding that perfect group when your by yourself looking. It's almost impossible since people expect that zerg rezzing is the only solution, instead of mitigating damage. That and builds of people who solely PvP or PvE in the world tend to be very squishy and not able to really help each other out, since they don't care about the team, they care about themselves.

The only reason she had trouble was due to 2 factors:

1. Not experiencing much in dungeons before, and obviously not that instance. Thus the fights were hard.

2. The 2 pugs we got were on the ground 90% of the fight and then one ended up rage quitting (the one who was dumb enough made it explorer mode in the first place when we wanted to just do story) since he died every single pull.

It's not far too uncommon to find a single reliable person in the group unless they are your friends or guildies.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search