Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Marvel Heroes

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,921,832 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,597
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » Mesmer » Mesmer...least played class, but why?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
57 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

9/04/12 12:07:55 PM#21
There's this myth you can't dps with them, but greatsword from long range or pistol off hand does good damage.

Personally I prefer to play them as buffer / debuff using staff, your like a necro and guardian rolled into one!
  Angier2758

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/05/09
Posts: 1060

9/04/12 12:20:17 PM#22
Using illusions in pvp is stupid unless its 1 v 1. Load up clones and learn to act like a clone. Also yoh have invis and stealth..... use it when you pop a clone. You're not really strong dps.... you're battle support.
  Justsomenoob

Novice Member

Joined: 10/20/10
Posts: 871

9/04/12 12:24:37 PM#23

People mightnot play them for the main reason I chose not to play them, they're clunky in PVE.  

 

Not hard, not sophisticated, not subtle, just clunky and slower at getting the job done than everyone else in overworld PVE.    They're also probably the worst class in the game at tagging as many mobs as possible in DEs in the 3 seconds a big swarm is alive before they are zerged down, resulting in less loot.

 

Mesmers are at their best when fighting something with a big hp bar or anything that just takes time to kill, which isn't something you run into in ordinary world PVE.    On bosses it's great, veterans great, sPVP and WvWvW great.   Ordinary mobs?  A chore.

 

 

  Adiaris

Novice Member

Joined: 10/12/08
Posts: 386

9/04/12 12:26:24 PM#24
Originally posted by Justsomenoob

People mightnot play them for the main reason I chose not to play them, they're clunky in PVE.  

 

Not hard, not sophisticated, not subtle, just clunky and slower at getting the job done than everyone else in overworld PVE.    They're also probably the worst class in the game at tagging as many mobs as possible in DEs in the 3 seconds a big swarm is alive before they are zerged down, resulting in less loot.

 

Mesmers are at their best when fighting something with a big hp bar or anything that just takes time to kill, which isn't something you run into in ordinary world PVE.    On bosses it's great, veterans great, sPVP and WvWvW great.   Ordinary mobs?  A chore.

 

 

Provided none of those champs, bosses, and veterans have insta-illusion-kill aoes ;) Also, some phantoms and clones spawn in random places which doesn't help (phantasmal disenchanter, spawns basically on top of the mob, good luck keeping him alive for more than a nanosecond for him to do his job)

  cheyane

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/17/09
Posts: 2549

9/04/12 12:31:38 PM#25

If you look at the videos for mesmer the clones can be easily identified because they will not be moving around as much as the player. So a PvPer will pick out the real you. I see this in  the PvP vids unless the mesmer goes invisible.

 

It looks like a class for people who enjoy a challenge I like it but my account has no more slots and I already spent 20 Euros on the bank slot and keeping 1000gems for the bag slots or another bank expansion.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  bobfish

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/10/06
Posts: 1664

9/04/12 12:32:07 PM#26

They feel under powered to me, the clones don't appear quick enough for the short fights (PvP and most DEs) and don't survive long enough in long fights (bosses).

 

Once you take the clones out of the equation.. they just feel a little useless. Not the power house that the GW1 Mesmer is anyways.

  gameguy369

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/19/09
Posts: 452

9/04/12 12:40:09 PM#27

Mesmer is going to be a hell of a class to balance. For example, I pretty am unkillable in PvP unless you catch me with all my cooldowns down AND out of dodge stamina. I can essentially outlast anyone if I time my dodges and skills properly, while chipping away at the enemy.

That said, I do think they need to either buff Mesmer's damage a bit, or maybe the clone damage, because there are times that it is absurd how long it takes me to kill someone.

  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

9/04/12 12:58:16 PM#28
They're one of the easier classes to combo off. And its easy to combo free chaos armour.

If your going clones rather than boons / chaos armour / stealth for survivabilty, learn to completely stop apart from 1 auto attack when you spawn illusion, get the talent that spans clones when you dodge, activate your clone spawn skills just after a dodge. E.g. dodge forwards, then use the 2nd sword skill to jump back and spawn 2nd clone, then dodge forward again for a 3rd and just auto attack, there will be you and 1 clone at the front and 2 clones at the back, most players will assume you are at the back.

This works nice in spvp, but I don't recommend for WvW, clones die to fast either talent for ranged phantasms like the duelist and warlock, or talent for spawning lots of illusions but those illusions booning allies and conditioning enemies in death, so that blind aoe spam from the enemy works against them (as your clones will due way before your allies)
  jugularvein

Novice Member

Joined: 4/23/08
Posts: 368

9/04/12 2:20:46 PM#29
Also a level 80 mesmer and honestly I would say until level 40+ I finally got the "feel" for the class.  Nice thing about mesmers are they can do basically almost everything.  I can dps when needed or tank a boss with clones.  Problem is they just take a bit of time to understand and master.  I like mesmers so much that I might make one for each race !!!!!!!

CPU-Asus Republic of Gamers Laptop

  User Deleted
9/04/12 2:54:22 PM#30
Mind you, every class can obviously do all of the content just fine, but I've personally found the Mesmer is just slower to play in the type of solo-minded PvE play that most players opt for while leveling.  Now, when diving into a DE, I think it has a lot of tools that make it a lot more fun, but between DEs the tactical-minded approach is only fun for me for so long.  It just takes too long to "set up" the battlefield.  I don't hate it.  Like the engineer, I think the mechanics are itneresting, but let's just say I will never take my mesmer out to farm mobs for anything.  ;)
  xposeidon

Novice Member

Joined: 3/26/12
Posts: 393

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

9/04/12 2:58:20 PM#31
Haha, meanwhile here I already figured out the Mesmer secret and destroy all :) I'll make a video sometime.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

  s4nder

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/20/05
Posts: 87

9/04/12 3:03:13 PM#32
Illusions and phantasms should have a set duration or last the whole combat. Watching them disappear an instant after being created in events made me forget about the class in a second and I loved mesmers in GW1.
  Soaapy

Novice Member

Joined: 7/08/11
Posts: 128

9/04/12 3:07:17 PM#33
mesmer clones don't do any damage. they're for crowd control and more damage. illusions are the real damage dealers. use a greatsword with a sword/pistol swap. build clones on the mob like combo points and blow them up. greatsword does a shit ton of damage also. i have absolutley no issue with mesmer i kill things extremely fast. 
  botrytis

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 2565

9/04/12 3:07:27 PM#34
Originally posted by s4nder
Illusions and phantasms should have a set duration or last the whole combat. Watching them disappear an instant after being created in events made me forget about the class in a second and I loved mesmers in GW1.

That is because you either created them in AoE area or were hit when they popped and disappeared. It does happen. That is why you need to keep track of what is going on around you.

 

 

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  Zuvielify

Novice Member

Joined: 12/07/11
Posts: 170

9/04/12 3:34:12 PM#35
I saw mesmers as a missed opportunity to do something really cool. I thought mesmer would be my favorite class...until I played one. The shatter mechanic is a fail, wholly in my opinion; others probably like it
  maskedweasel

Tipster

Joined: 9/24/07
Posts: 7285

"Kids, try imagining how far the universe extends! Keep thinking about it until you go insane."

9/04/12 3:48:41 PM#36

I play a mesmer as my main.. they are truly powerhouses.. it all depends on spec.

 

My spec is condition damage primarily focused on bleeding.  I'm level 54 right now, with 4 domination 20 illusions, 20 dueling.. 

 

A lot of my play revolves around conditioning due to crits (bleeding damage), and shattering damage, which is pretty good if you know what you're doing.  

 

My favorite weapon spec is scepter/Pistol and Greatsword,  though I also like the Focus, and the Staff depending on situation.. Basically, if you spec your precision high enough even your clones will get crits for 1 damage (any crit will apply bleeding).  So naturally I bring in phantasms when they're up, and continuously swap in phantasms and clones as needed, shattering them when the mood calls, which will also apply conditions - as will some other abilities that you get and combos you can do all on your own.

 

Evasion is key with mesmers, and they have a lot of tricks to evade and survive...  they are also really good at deflecting ranged damage, and applying a lot of different condition types.  They are also pretty good at being able to cure and transfer conditions they receive.. which will really aid certain builds in PvP.

 

I hated the mesmer in GW1 and the beta,  but I truly feel powerful as a mesmer now... moreso then when I played the elementalist or guardian.

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"


  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/21/11
Posts: 7246

9/04/12 3:50:18 PM#37
As soapy says great sword from a long distance then sword + pistol or torch for close.
  GamerUntouch

Novice Member

Joined: 5/11/12
Posts: 491

9/04/12 3:52:49 PM#38

One of the hardest classes to play right.

 

Large amount of micromanagement with clones.

  elocke

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 6/15/04
Posts: 4114

9/04/12 4:01:41 PM#39
Originally posted by Adiaris

My main is a Mesmer (80) and I played it through the betas (good and bad times!). I never found the class to be complex at all (I think Ele is alot harder to master to be honest) in fact, in frantic PVP the illusions help you take a breather ;) 

That said, and I'm sure fellow mesmers will disagree with me by stating leet dps with a s/s gs build, you do have to work a lot harder on your skills to get decent dps on enemies. In big pve and pvp events your phantasms don't last very long, if at all, which results in your damage going down the drain completely. Granted, you focus more on utility then, but no one really likes to hit things with a wet noodle. Especially when you see warriors and guardians just straight up tanking a mob, no dodging, no weapon swapping, and downing it faster than you can. 

That's my experience at least. Love the class, love the butterflies, but still think it has some fundamental issues by design. 

Yep. Hit 80 last night on my Mesmer, love the class, but yeah there are moments where I feel like I'm struggling to do any dps or stay alive in both pve and pvp usually during the cooldowns of my clones and phantasms.  During those moments is when I'm popping my support utilities like Feedback, Time Warp, Null Void/Bubble whatever it's called so as to help fellow players out.  It's definitely a true support class and I think PVP and PVE scoring should take that into account, somehow.  Glad it's at 80 will be interesting to see what balance passes they make for the class in the coming years.  All I know is, some of my personal stories were almost impossible to solo.  I did it, but man did it take a ton of kiting and body pulling.  Mesmer gets swarmed by more than 3 mobs it's pretty much over.  Like the Risen mobs, those guys are nasty.

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

  maskedweasel

Tipster

Joined: 9/24/07
Posts: 7285

"Kids, try imagining how far the universe extends! Keep thinking about it until you go insane."

9/04/12 4:24:53 PM#40
Originally posted by elocke
Originally posted by Adiaris

My main is a Mesmer (80) and I played it through the betas (good and bad times!). I never found the class to be complex at all (I think Ele is alot harder to master to be honest) in fact, in frantic PVP the illusions help you take a breather ;) 

That said, and I'm sure fellow mesmers will disagree with me by stating leet dps with a s/s gs build, you do have to work a lot harder on your skills to get decent dps on enemies. In big pve and pvp events your phantasms don't last very long, if at all, which results in your damage going down the drain completely. Granted, you focus more on utility then, but no one really likes to hit things with a wet noodle. Especially when you see warriors and guardians just straight up tanking a mob, no dodging, no weapon swapping, and downing it faster than you can. 

That's my experience at least. Love the class, love the butterflies, but still think it has some fundamental issues by design. 

Yep. Hit 80 last night on my Mesmer, love the class, but yeah there are moments where I feel like I'm struggling to do any dps or stay alive in both pve and pvp usually during the cooldowns of my clones and phantasms.  During those moments is when I'm popping my support utilities like Feedback, Time Warp, Null Void/Bubble whatever it's called so as to help fellow players out.  It's definitely a true support class and I think PVP and PVE scoring should take that into account, somehow.  Glad it's at 80 will be interesting to see what balance passes they make for the class in the coming years.  All I know is, some of my personal stories were almost impossible to solo.  I did it, but man did it take a ton of kiting and body pulling.  Mesmer gets swarmed by more than 3 mobs it's pretty much over.  Like the Risen mobs, those guys are nasty.

 

Mesmers definitely don't put out the burst like Warriors do.. thats true.. but I feel I have much more survivability then warriors do, too.  Truth be told, my DoTs are pretty pitiful at my level,  but I'm still able to put out some decent damage,  and I don't keep my phantasms out very often... I end up shattering them as they do good AOE damage, apply confusions, etc... and my clones can apply DoTs too and attack much more often.

 

It does kind of suck that you can't put out that kind of burst.. but I like rarely dying..

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"


3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search