Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,324 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,829
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search
188 posts found
  gurugeorge

Advanced Member

9/03/12 9:38:40 PM#141
Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:
Not hugely interested.  I'd played GW and while I enjoyed the gameplay, I found the lack of persistent world and the movement restrictions off-putting.

Do you currently play this game?:
Yes.

If yes, please explain why:

Because I bought it and it's good.  As I've posted elsewhere, I've been quite won over by this game, which I wasn't expecting much from - in fact, I'd thought it was likely to be over-hyped, but I'm finding it's that rare beast: a game that lives up to its hype.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
Have recently played SWTOR and TSW (I enjoy both because of the VO-ed stories, also TSW's build system).

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
I post infrequently, usually only to participate in discussion about a game that's just been released.
  Zzad

Hard Core Member

9/03/12 9:46:15 PM#142

Yes,been waiting for more than 5 years.

Finally...YES!

Has everything i wanted in a MMO (and more!)

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

cancelled all my MMOS subs months before GW2 released,due to boreness.

Now GW2 is the only MMO i´m playing.

Kenze

Novice Member

9/03/12 9:52:51 PM#143

Yes, Ive been following GW2 for years and Im very happy with it.

yes, every day

its fun, i can play at my own pace.I dont feel the need to follow the crowd in a mad rush to the end. I feel rewarded no matter what i choose to do.

If no, please explain why:

n/a

GW2, see above

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I dont post a lot in this forums as Im usually in game playing. A Good game doesnt need "defending" its worth speaks for itself as with GW2

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

jinxxed0

Novice Member

9/03/12 9:55:53 PM#144
Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes because I'm a big fan of Guild Wars 1 and had high hopes, although they were realistic as I've been playing MMOs for more than half of my life.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes but it could have been a lot better. The outdated combat system is something I can deal with, but they need better a better defense macanic if they're going to get rid of a healer. You can't just take the healer out of a game that needs one without replacing it with something else that prevents you from easily dying over and over.

If yes, please explain why: I paid 60 dollars for it. It's not terrible, but with combat being 90% of what you do in this game, they should have really worked on this.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: City of Heroes because of its character creation. Second Life because I can make money with it and create things

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Talking about guild wars 2 is about as fun as playing. Take that anyway you like.
  wolffin

Novice Member

9/03/12 10:06:44 PM#145

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: yes, some what. all the buzz around peaks my interest some what

Do you currently play this game?: No

If yes, please explain why: Bought the orignal GW's and just never could get into it. Later bought one of the expansion packs and tried it again. I mihgt give GW2 a try in the future, just at this time im not ready drop that kind fo money on something I might not enjoy.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Eve Online, WoW, and STO they keep me entertained

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  Just happend to see it pass by in the current forum activity

Sora2810

Advanced Member

9/04/12 5:55:33 AM#146

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: On the fence. I didn't enjoy GW1. I liked the idea's GW2 promised, but was too burned out on other game's failed senses of hype that I never got too into it.

Do you currently play this game?: Absolutely.

If yes, please explain why: It's one of the very few MMO's that I can say leveling is a blast. The experience curve is so low that sometimes I'll have gained two levels before noticing! The polish this game recieved is well worth the $60 cover charge to experience this game. Dungeons and group content is, by far, the best I've played. I feel like I've ripped Anet off by not paying monthly for this.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EvE; Enjoy the user-based sandbox experience.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? To listen to the opinions of others and attempt to find intelligent discussions on the games future.

[mod edit]

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

auz10

Novice Member

9/06/12 5:59:22 PM#147
Originally posted by MikeB
Yes. I was interested in the game because it had some fresh concepts and ideas.

Yes.
I play the game because I wanted an MMO with PvP I could jump right into without a large prior time commitment leveling up and collecting the best gear. A large, dynamic, explorable world for PvE was also a draw for me.

I am currently playing The Secret World and Lord of the Rings Online. I play TSW because it offers an amazing casual PvE experience and setting, and I enjoy the deck building nature of the skill wheel. I play LoTRO sparingly, and mostly out of nostalgia at this point. Had some great experiences in that game.

Arenanet does not current offer official game forums.
  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

9/11/12 11:51:07 PM#148

Yes, however not because I thought it would be a killer MMO I would be happy to play forever but because I like ANet and enjoyed their last MMO.

Yes sometimes.

Because I have some time for a game yet don't wish to spend too much these days so a casual MMO works out pretty good, yet I am sad because this game feel quite shallow.

EVE Online: Because it's THE MMO. Nothing will ever beat it I believe, great freedom and a big community that isn't declining like most other MMOs do after just a month or less from launch.

Lineage 2: Because it has great group PVP which requires teamplay and dedication from a large group of players unlike most games of today.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Because I have some time over and it's funny to see if something new has happened which I might have missed.

Dibdabs

Advanced Member

9/18/12 10:39:30 AM#149

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, I was interested, partly because I play GW1 and partly I liked the look of the game mechanics.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes

If yes, please explain why:  Novelty, fun, lack of sub.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  LotRO, Champions Online, Age of Conan - it's always nice to have a change of pace, and I do not need to pay a monthly sub for these either.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I like the site, and post on other forums here too.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

9/18/12 10:47:15 AM#150

Yes, i am currently playing GW2, because it fullfills all my gaming needs. Its challenging and its fun. There is much more action then in most other MMO´s and its fastpaced.   Basically it challenges me to explore the world and enjoy the stories while they happen.

It cured my altitus. Just one character is enough to enjoy all and everything

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

9/18/12 10:48:37 AM#151

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Mildly, I don't buy much into hype and from what I seen, if it was P2P monthly, I'd not really be interested in paying.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why: Its something to do mostly. Its mildly fun, though it gets old quickly. Its pretty much a gap filler when I'm taking a break from other games while I wait for Rift: Storm Legion.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Ragnarok Online: Classic game I enjoy. Guildwars 2: Time filler.

Path of Exile: Really Enjoy the system in the game. D2 styled with great variety in builds and feeling rewarding to play. On and off due to it being closed beta (wipe expected).

Rift: Favorite game in some time. Best raid experience out there IMO. Mostly on the back burning due to having my main character completed PA wise and waiting for Expansion. Paying for it.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I feel the need to really give the facts rather then blind comments about the system. I feel like I need to 'bash' the game (or as someone not mesmorized by it might say, critisize) the game for its flaws when people gloat it as being perfect, while defending it for those mindlessly bashing it without even giving it points for its good side. While its not the best MMO I've played, it warrents enough attention to talk about and I do hope they do learn from their mistakes and improve on it like many MMos should. While I doubt I'll ever focus solely on playing this game (combat system is just to clunky and far to simple for me) its still something I can see me rarely picking up in the future to play once in a blue moon.

Acidon

Elite Member

Permafried

9/18/12 11:08:10 AM#152
  • Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Initially, yes.  I still have my CE Box from the first Guild Wars.  The insane player-made hype leading up to the release made me pause and do considerable research.  After the research and then trying it during (one of?) the last beta events, I decided it wasn't for me.

• Do you currently play this game?:

No.  I did not purchase GW2.  I am happy with that decision at this point.

• If no, please explain why:

I decided that this was not a game for me.   P2P, F2P, B2P ~ None of that matters to me.  If I enjoy a game I pay for the access whether it's a subscription in a P2P or a subscription in a Hybrid.  I'm certainly not against B2P, but let's be realistic here.  Many people love the fact that there is no monthly fee, yet spent as much or more (during the "FREE" month, mind you) than a subscription on gems.  I won't expand on my feelings regarding that and expansions.

• What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Rift and TSW.  

I've been subbed with Rift since you could sub at pre-release.  It's a solid title with amazing content addition and customer support.  The soul system is amazing (especially if you build your own character and don't "copy-paste" a build).  Added with the IA and the ability to scale your level down to the exact level of your choosing, it opens up the entire world (which is about to triple in size).

TSW is a more mature title that I am having a great deal of fun in.  I've been taking it slow, so I'm probably about halfway through the release content.  At this pace it's one of the most fun online gaming experience I've had in a very long time.   Horror + Conspiracies.. yeah, I love it.  =)

• What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I don't generally post here.  I certainly don't pretend to know what GW2 gameplay is like.  I *browse* here quite often, as there's usually some great drama going on and shown in the thread box on the homepage.  But, I never actually navigate to these forums directly.  It's very entertaining to watch the complaints, and some of the more extreme-defensive players.  It's like a good TV Show (just being honest).

All of that said, I just wanted to state that I am happy for everyone that is really enjoying GW2.  Just because it's not for me doesn't mean it's not an amazing game for others.

Playing: EverQuest, RiFT, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

jacklo

Novice Member

9/20/12 7:52:44 AM#153

"Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward..."

Hi MikeB,

I see this thread is still ongoing so it's not the necro post I was afraid it might be. I returned here to see what became of this "experiment" because the purpose was never made clear.

Hopefully the responses have been useful, but are we to expect a follow-up post anytime soon, or was this exercise purely for internal use?

AdamTM

Novice Member

I'M PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!!!!

9/20/12 8:03:50 AM#154

Yes, it looked like an evolution of the themepark-genre and I was tired of the same-game-with-a-twist mentality of AAA MMORPG releases.

No

-

My interest waned over time as the game got closer to release, it no longer represents what I am looking for.

None. I have taken a break from MMOs for two reasons: 1. I will wait for an MMO that really captures me as a player 2. I am extremely busy in real life (trying to publish and design my own games) and can't find the time to play an MMO as extensively as I would want to.

Mild interest in where the game has gone, I do this for every game I was interested in. I check in on it once in a while to see where it stands.

alienspa

Novice Member

9/20/12 8:49:12 AM#155

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

Yes. Since i knew the game was not instanced like the first one.

Do you currently play this game?

No.

-

It is a fun, very polished, and I love the design. But it is so repetitive. The pve in this game is like sit on the couch and try to listen the Ramones discography. Okay, all MMO's are repetitive. But some made a better job disguising it.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

None. I really like The Secret World and Rift. But the combat in those games is terribly boring. I like Tera's combat... but everything else in the game sux.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I rarely post. Why I post in this one? Maybe because i'm not currenty playing any MMO. =P

Hyperwolf

Novice Member

9/24/12 6:50:27 PM#156

I played the original Guild Wars a bit, and I loved some of the artwork previews I saw of the game leading up to release. 

Yes, I currently play about 15-20 hours a week. 

I love the exploring aspect. The landscapes are the best of any MMO i have played in my opinion, and I have played most well known MMO's.

I also love WvW even though our server (Ferguson's Crossing) is coming almost last. I think WvW will add a lot of longevity to the game once some of the issues are sorted out. 

I also really like the customisation of your character and the ability to switch capabilities very frequently via different weapons or just changing your slotted utilities and skills. 

The lore is great and the voice acting varies, but when it's good it's very good. e.g female sylvari player vs male norn player voices. 

I'm currently playing GW2 and TSW although my account is going to expire and I'm letting it because although it's a great game I don't want to pay to play. When it goes F2P I'll definitely get back into it because the story and voice acting is incredible. 

I've learned to post less and frequent this forum less to be honest because so many people are here purely to bring other people down. The number of people who post on GW2 (and many other games)  and do not own a copy is amazing. 

(Edit: formatting) 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
~ WC

TweFoju

Tipster

9/27/12 5:32:13 AM#157

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Do you currently play this game?No

simply it doesn't meet my expectation at all, it was fun during the 1st week, after that, it just went straight grinding, and the fact that the Events are always the same, so after a week, you probably have already done almost everything.
also, i have reached everything needed in the game, lv 80, 400 crafting, full exotic, completed personal story, all that in a  week, so i have a little reason and no urge at all to log back in until maybe a new expansion 

Currently back in Vanguard, why i still play? well, this is my 2nd MMO that i played to death and the actual MMO that i feel is still good to play, eventhough the population are really dead now, but i still love to be part of the world, and i feel like there are purpose for me in this game, which is to help new players to like the game, because Vanguard, for me is one of a kind MMO that no other MMO has come close to since 2007

purely to see some good reads and bad reads, just to pass the time, as this subforum is the most populated one, and each day filled with rage and complaints which kept me entertained

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

So What Now?

Dream_Chaser

Novice Member

1/07/13 11:21:22 PM#158

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

It had a lot of good ideas.

Do you currently play this game?

I haven't played it in a month or more.

If no, please explain why

Ultimately, it was just very disappointing.

Combat is decided by dice rolls, and player movement speed is as slow as molasses with absolutely no focus on player skill whatsoever. Well, except for the laughable 'get out of the ominous red circle very, very slowly!' nonsense. Dodge-rolling is so infrequent that it's useless, and that's after they detached it from mana, it feels utterly vestigial; a token effort thrown in to try to make it more action-y. Most people stand around and faceroll, anyway.

Events and dungeons are never anything more than talentless DPS-zergs, they're that way to encourage people to spend money on armour repairs; the only challenge comes from enemies simply being able to do more damage than the player can cope with, and the answer to that is always more grinding or more gems. Never anything to do with skill, which I had so hoped for. And really, comparing the AI of GW2 to, say, ME3's multiplayer is kind of like comparing the NPC AI of Final Fantasy IV to Ultima VII.

I haven't seen AI this genuinely dumb outside of WoW - mobs don't have maneuvers, they don't try to flank you or act intelligently, nor do they try to support each other. Mobs just make a bee-line to the nearest player and start attacking. In fact, the AI is so dumb that it doesn't know how to calculate Z-depth, which is why if you try to attack a foe from a higher-perch (you know, sniping), you'll find that the mob magically evades every single blow. Because the AI requires the player to be on the same Z-level to fight. I almost had a little cry over that, because that's really bad.

So the combat, mobs, and AI are just really very reminiscent of WoW. The game I was trying to get away from.

On top of that, they flat out lied about a bunch of things. Either lies or baiting and switching - lore changes; account-wide dyes became character-bound; drop rates were nerfed across the board (from dyes to ectos); affordable armour prices were made unaffordable (and people who bought too much were banned); recipes that were good for making money were altered/removed (and people who used them to make money were banned); the utility skill pool turned into a ridiculous WoW-like talent tree thing; the level 80 power plateau was tossed aside in favour of vertical progression; the home instance is useless and has none of the features promised; towns lack the promised activities (only keg brawl made it in); dynamic events were few and far between - mostly the game is heart events, which work exactly the same as traditional quests (minus the pick-up and turn-in); issues with broken events (can't be completed due to a lack of players) and bugs have been tossed aside in favour of hurrying out cheap, nasty, buggy, unpolished, and obviously rushed content; the grind was made ridiculous in some cases just to force people to buy gems (and that worked so well that it encouraged them to add Ascended gear); and I could go on like this, but I won't.

Ultimately the whole thing feels like a massive con. A well-handled con, a brave act of flim-flammery, but still a con. A con I was stupid enough to fall for. A con others are still sadly buying into.

Not doing much in the way of MMOs, really. I'm mostly playing Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.

There is TERA, though. I did poke TERA because a friend told me I should; a bold claim was made on the game's behalf: "It has the combat that ArenaNet promised but didn't deliver," they said, "with wonderful combos and a focus on player skill."

So I tried it. I tried it and it is pretty good. It does indeed place more emphasis on player skill than dice rolls. See, in GW2, if you take on a level 40 mob at level 20, they do so much extra damage that they can one-shot you, and a mechanic called 'glancing blows' means that you actually do zero damage to them; contrary to that, if you take on a level 40 mob at level 20 in TERA and you're good, you actually stand a damned good chance of winning a fight. It's much harder than it would be if you were actually level 40, of course, but at least TERA gives you that chance, rather than one-shotting you out of the gate.

I was expecting TERA to be bad, and... in honesty, it really isn't. In some ways it actually is what I wanted GW2 to be.

It is infrequently, now. I just feel like there's nothing else to say. It's just a lost cause. WoW 2.0 for those who want that, but for me? It's just not my flavour.

(Edit: For formatting.)

Maephisto

Novice Member

3/16/13 10:46:06 AM#159

Yes.  Anet was able to prove, years before launch, that they built a compelling game with innovative features. 

Yes

The classes are easy to learn, but incredibly hard to master.  I feel I play my class fairly well, but every so often a player comes and mops the floor with me.  It makes me rethink the way I play my class when competing against others.  My need for improvement keeps things fresh for me.  Despite some short comings, WvW is a lot of fun.

N/A

Only GW2 at the moment.

I find myself posting to this sub forum less as time moves on.  It seems only negative threads gain traction anymore and normal (positive) threads are quickly changed to meaningless arguements.  The people who once contributed to the GW2 forum in the greatest way have stopped posting regularly (Bachus, Creslin, Unlight, Distopia, Meowhead, Fiontar and others).  At this time, other sites provide a better environment for discussing GW2.

BitterClinger

Novice Member

2014 Watch List: World of Warships, ArcheAge

3/16/13 10:54:06 AM#160

No. I didn't like the first Guild Wars.

Yes.

It's easy to get into the action, even if you don't play for a few weeks. It's the ultimage casual gamers MMORPG.

GW2 (see above) and Neverwinter. I'm a life long D&D fan and enjoy the dungeon experience that many D&D titles have to offer. However, I would not call Neverwinter an MMORPG. I classify it as a multiplayer RPG with an MMO hub for quests, auction house, and possibly guild banks and such.

I don't post here much. I'm not inclined to correct people's misinterpretation of the kind of game GW2 is really.

Top Games Played JAN 2014: World of Warplanes, Guild Wars 2, World of Tanks

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search