Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,716 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,368
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » anyone else a bit shocked at the cost of this game

15 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
284 posts found
  just1opinion

Smart-Alek

3/16/12 2:26:38 PM#41

Apparently in the UK and France (or wherever the other person posting was from)  it is NOT the same price as other games.  I'm just curious....how much do games usually cost in the UK or anywhere using the euro?  Or are we dealing with more than just one different currency here?  Pounds and euros?  I don't know, I'm uneducated on this sort of thing.  Can someone answer that so this will make more sense?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Loke666

Elite Member

3/16/12 2:28:08 PM#42

I am actually shocked that it isn't higher.

A life sub in LOTRO or STO was 250 bucks and GW2 wont go F2P.

I actually assumed it would be around 80 bucks, which is what a new PS3 game cost here.

Loke666

Elite Member

3/16/12 2:30:20 PM#43
Originally posted by just1opinion

Apparently in the UK and France (or wherever the other person posting was from)  it is NOT the same price as other games.  I'm just curious....how much do games usually cost in the UK or anywhere using the euro?  Can someone answer that so this will make more sense?

In Sweden a new game cost 80 bucks (around 550 SEK).

Amjoco

Elite Member

3/16/12 2:31:01 PM#44
Originally posted by Loke666

I am actually shocked that it isn't higher.

A life sub in LOTRO or STO was 250 bucks and GW2 wont go F2P.

I actually assumed it would be around 80 bucks, which is what a new PS3 game cost here.

shhh, spies are watching you and I. The price isn't locked in yet....this could be the changing comment. :O lol

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/16/12 2:32:11 PM#45
Edited: misunderstanding
  alkarionlog

Hard Core Member

3/16/12 2:32:16 PM#46
Originally posted by zimboy69

£49.99  digital edition
£64.99 digital delux edition

kinda feels like your buying a normal game with 2/3 months subs included

info from the link

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

cheaper then a new game huh?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

gainesvilleg

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:32:27 PM#47
Originally posted by botrytis
Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I think the price is fair unless the cash shop sells items that give in-game advantage.  Then it is basically the F2P with cash shop model but they are charging you $60 up front instead of free.  Time will tell on the cash shop, but it looks to be leaning towards in-game advantage items (chalice of glory, tome of influence, elite skills) as well as purely cosmetic but we shall see.  Defenders of Anet still think they would never do that...

Full disclosure:  I will not be buying GW2 at launch...

Elite skills are for PvP - the Tome is for rewards for your guild (not for an individual player) and the other is to increase exp for a short time. Most games already have them so what is the big deal? They are not advantage items. A.net already stated that the skill of the player is the most important factor, as it was in GW1. They also said all the armor at a level will be the same and the looks will be different (that was the same in GW1).

[Mod Edit]

I have played GW1 and have posted about it before.  As for what one considers pay to win is a matter of opinion.  I am of the opinion that buying "convenience" is a form of pay to win on the same level as buying gold.  Yes, you can grind in game to get it but buying it still gives you and advantage.

Many of us will have to just agree to disagree on this.  I view some of the items in the CE for instance to be pay 2 win type items.  Others do not view it that way and only view pay 2 win as buying an uber sword or something that you cant get in game.

Full disclosure:  I will not be buying GW2 at launch

So that means that PvP'ers buying skill packs in GW1 was an advantage? It wasn't you still had to learn the skills for PvE characters. All of it are non-issues really.

Some people just like to complain.

Let us wait for the release before we cry wolf.....

Influence directly impacts PVP.  And you get to buy extra influence if you get the CE.  The fact that you can buy influence by spending more money for the CE clearly indicates you will be able to do so in the cash shop as well.  I think that is a well grounded assumption.  More evidence they will then they wont at a minimum.

Now influence can buy you many advantages and you have to grind in game to get influence or you can buy it from a cash shop.  This is identical to gold selling then in my opinion.  Here are things influence can buy you:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence 

Guilds fighting without this influence will be at disadvantage in WvW combat.

Again, you may not consider this pay 2 win, but then you would also not consider buying gold pay 2 win.  And buying gold is considered cheating in many MMOs so I am clearly not alone in my views on this.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

ariboersma

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:33:30 PM#48
Originally posted by Fir3line
I bet i can find discounts on release day but no bonuses, like i bought SWTOR for 30 quid

There has to be some sort of laws that make this possible, because in the US retailers make little to no money on media(CDs, games, ect books I dont know) there is a static price and retailers make their money off the extras you buy(controllers, systems, used games, ect). Now I will be the first to admit I do NOT trust anything on Amazon.. its just a personal thing.. I dont trust it because the companies I have never heard of and at least I couldnt see a seller ranking like on Ebay. Aside from my distrust I just dont see how they can sell the game cheaper if they are paying what major retailers are forced to pay to sell the game to you. 

My experience is working for Circuit City and my husband working for Best Buy where employees for both companies can freely see the cost of items. So you can see why I wonder where they get these games from that they can sell them cheap than big name retailers.

ariboersma

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:34:12 PM#49

I think the price is fair unless the cash shop sells items that give in-game advantage.  Then it is basically the F2P with cash shop model but they are charging you $60 up front instead of free.  Time will tell on the cash shop, but it looks to be leaning towards in-game advantage items (chalice of glory, tome of influence, elite skills) as well as purely cosmetic but we shall see.  Defenders of Anet still think they would never do that...

Elite skills are for PvP - the Tome is for rewards for your guild (not for an individual player) and the other is to increase exp for a short time. Most games already have them so what is the big deal? They are not advantage items. A.net already stated that the skill of the player is the most important factor, as it was in GW1. They also said all the armor at a level will be the same and the looks will be different (that was the same in GW1).

[Mod Edit]

I have played GW1 and have posted about it before.  As for what one considers pay to win is a matter of opinion.  I am of the opinion that buying "convenience" is a form of pay to win on the same level as buying gold.  Yes, you can grind in game to get it but buying it still gives you and advantage.

Many of us will have to just agree to disagree on this.  I view some of the items in the CE for instance to be pay 2 win type items.  Others do not view it that way and only view pay 2 win as buying an uber sword or something that you cant get in game.

So that means that PvP'ers buying skill packs in GW1 was an advantage? It wasn't you still had to learn the skills for PvE characters. All of it are non-issues really.

Influence directly impacts PVP.  And you get to buy extra influence if you get the CE.  The fact that you can buy influence by spending more money for the CE clearly indicates you will be able to do so in the cash shop as well.  I think that is a well grounded assumption.  More evidence they will then they wont at a minimum.

Now influence can buy you many advantages and you have to grind in game to get influence or you can buy it from a cash shop.  This is identical to gold selling then in my opinion.  Here are things influence can buy you:

Again, you may not consider this pay 2 win, but then you would also not consider buying gold pay 2 win.  And buying gold is considered cheating in many MMOs so I am clearly not alone in my views on this.

influence affects PVE as much as PVE hun.

PukeBucket

Apprentice Member

3/16/12 2:34:36 PM#50

It's not quite 10 dollars higher than what I usually pay for games.

Still I'm not buying at launch so hopefully a few weeks after there will be some 10 bucks off sales. I know in the US Target's pretty good for that.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

shi7an

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:37:54 PM#51

yah too expensive for a game that doesn't even look that good.

hopefully they will knock the prices down after a couple of months.. when they realize that besides the fanboys nobody is happy with their high pricing.

Loke666

Elite Member

3/16/12 2:37:58 PM#52
Originally posted by PukeBucket

It's not quite 10 dollars higher than what I usually pay for games.

Still I'm not buying at launch so hopefully a few weeks after there will be some 10 bucks off sales. I know in the US Target's pretty good for that.

It probably will take a few months depending on how big hit the game becomes. If it do like WAR and AoC on the other hand a few weeks is of course a possibility.

But yeah, if you aren't in a hurry that is a good choice.

gainesvilleg

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:38:14 PM#53
Originally posted by ariboersma

[Mod Edit]

Don't understand what you are saying, but if you are saying it affects PVE too then fine.  I was responding to a person who claimed you cannot buy any advantage in PVP.  You at a minimum can buy advantage in the CE, and most likely this will be an option in cash shop as well (time will tell for sure).  Selling this in the cash shop will be consistent with their statement that cash shop "goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of tim e"  IE investment of grind...

Loke666

Elite Member

3/16/12 2:40:34 PM#54
Originally posted by shi7an

yah too expensive for a game that doesn't even look that good.

hopefully they will knock the prices down after a couple of months.. when they realize that besides the fanboys nobody is happy with their high pricing.

What high pricing? The amount of content you get forthe price can only be beaten with F2P and any F2P PvP game I seen have been pay2win.

You have to compare the cost with what it cost to start to play and play a year in any other game. That usually is more expensive even in F2P games.

eAzydaman

Advanced Member

3/16/12 2:40:43 PM#55

I'm even considering buying the CE just to support ArenaNet. I have no intrest in the extra items... It's amazing how cheap some people can get. This is an awesome product well worth the money.

Nadia

Tipster

3/16/12 2:40:45 PM#56
Originally posted by zimboy69

£49.99  digital edition

GW2 is the same price as Diablo3 in the USA  59.99

ariboersma

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:42:36 PM#57

[Mod Edit]

Don't understand what you are saying, but if you are saying it affects PVE too then fine.  I was responding to a person who claimed you cannot buy any advantage in PVP.  You at a minimum can buy advantage in the CE, and most likely this will be an option in cash shop as well (time will tell for sure).  Selling this in the cash shop will be consistent with their statement that cash shop "goods and items bought for cash in GW2 do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of tim e"  IE investment of grind...

the tome of influence bought by one person couldnt really affect WvWvW much, but if a whole guild decided to do it.. yes it could be a bought advantage... BUT they would all have to agree to buy the digital deluxe or the CE before the game came out and it wouldn't matter after the first Wv..oh F this V8! Influence isn't hard to get in game and once ppl play a week or two that advantage will be nothing at all.

eAzydaman

Advanced Member

3/16/12 2:45:50 PM#58

If this doesn't look good you should stop playing MMO's. Imagine how much money people have wasted on WOW. But haters will be haters. I don't consider myself a fanboi, but there is nothing to complain about this game. I can't even find one single flaw and i had a really critical outlook on the game at first.

gainesvilleg

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:46:50 PM#59

[Mod Edit]

the tome of influence bought by one person couldnt really affect WvWvW much, but if a whole guild decided to do it.. yes it could be a bought advantage... BUT they would all have to agree to buy the digital deluxe or the CE before the game came out and it wouldn't matter after the first Wv..oh F this V8! Influence isn't hard to get in game and once ppl play a week or two that advantage will be nothing at all.

Slippery slope at best.  And I do understand everybody has different definitions of pay2win.  Mine is a little more old school than many.  Buying any advantage with money to me is pay2win, even if you can get the same advantage by "investment of time."

We will just have to agree to disagree.  I am very opinionated on cash shops and when Anet changed their official description of cash shop from "cosmetic only" to "no advantage that can't be achieved through investment of time" then they crossed the line in my view.

One of the reasons I will not be buying GW2, at least at launch.  An epic RvRvR is probably the only thing that could draw me back in at this point....

Seafort

Novice Member

3/16/12 2:48:47 PM#60

If it was £ to $ 1:1 it would be like the US gamers paying $80 instead of $60 for the normal digital version. 

Thats how much we in the UK have to pay extra. We normally pay max of £35 which is about $55.

For me this is a one off payment for a game I've been waiting over 2 years for. If any other developer tried this extreme markup on a game I wouldn't buy it.

15 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search