Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,613 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,151
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

OP  7/09/11 11:53:57 AM#21

Well is the dynamic events generic? I read the Q & A's but the problem is, would it be the same thing over and over again?

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Combat Arms - Crossfire -AVA
Maplestory, and more.

Shoju

Novice Member

7/09/11 11:54:17 AM#22
Originally posted by Anireth

And from the location of the dungeon and enemies appearing, my guess would be that the catacombs are no where near the hardest dungeon.

I think I read the the Catacombs is the first dungeon that players will encounter and it is for around level 35+.

mmoski

Advanced Member

7/09/11 12:07:39 PM#23
Originally posted by assault3hro

Well is the dynamic events generic? I read the Q & A's but the problem is, would it be the same thing over and over again?

Yeah they will be generic in the way they play out, ie part 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 , but they will be dynamic in the way the play out at that time depending on what players do, ie it could be some thing like the parts would work out like 1 > 2 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 3 > 3 > 3 > 4 > 5, one thing that is cool about this kind of system is anet can add content changes and additions so easy which could change gameplay from week to week, if they were to add a dynamic alteration system to the dynamic content then the number of variables for what could occour could be staggering.

Serenex

Novice Member

Radical

7/09/11 12:14:30 PM#24

No it's not a sandbox, it is dynamic, it's worth $60, there's player houses, and Runes of Magic is the worst game ever. You spend hundreds of dollars trying to max out and its a pathetic wow clone,

XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

OP  7/09/11 12:25:48 PM#25

They've got my money! Just now I have to wait for release :(

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Maplestory, and more.

star

Guild Wars 2 Guild Leader

Deliciously Trashy

7/09/11 1:26:11 PM#26
There is a sticky called 'EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT GW2' it has videos and links to faqs and interviews. Might want to do a little bit of basic reading as all your questions are answered in links within that thread.

Wiki.guildwars2.com is also invaluable

Loke666

Hard Core Member

7/09/11 1:41:08 PM#27

The thing here is that there are kinds 4 variables we should think about, games just ins't sandboxes or themeparks.

Player created content

Linear gameplay                                                 Non linear gameplay

Developer created content

GW2 is developer created content, so in that way it isn't a sandbox. On the other hand is most of the game non linear, the dynamic events appear depending a lot of factors, you just don't do a long questline and are then done with it like in a regular thempark, that aspect of the game is sandboxy. And even that is simplifying things.

The whole themepark or sandbox thing is a kinda simplified label , games are often more complicated than the 2 extremes, Vanguard also mixes things from both and so do a few other games including upcomming Archeage and The secret world.

GW2 is neither a sandbox or a themepark, or it is both. We really need better termology to describe the games that aren't extreme cases. Vanguard have been called "hybrid" but it is not really a good name either.

Hopefully will the thempark and sandbox termes be gone in a few years and replaced with some better terms.

angerbeaver

Hard Core Member

Games Played:Ultima OnlineRappelzLOTROWoWGWGW2SWTOR

7/09/11 2:06:03 PM#28

I've read a bit about gw2 so far, although never that sticky (on my to do list now). Wonder why they decided to go 5 or so years at lvl20 in GW and then bump it all the way up to 80 in GW2.

kryles Xfire Miniprofile
  Mimzel

Apprentice Member

7/09/11 2:12:16 PM#29

I hope it will be a nice combo of themepark and sandbox. In regards to exploration, I understand from the devs that the reason they're not implementing mounts is because they want you to experience their world as massive as they have built it. Mounts (particularly flying ones) would subtract from that experience according to their opinion. From what I've heard and seen in interviews, the world is Massive - which would indicate that you indeed have a lot to explore there.

Damzilla

Novice Member

7/09/11 2:14:48 PM#30
Originally posted by angerbeaver

I've read a bit about gw2 so far, although never that sticky (on my to do list now). Wonder why they decided to go 5 or so years at lvl20 in GW and then bump it all the way up to 80 in GW2.

Well, GW2 will be a completely different game in than GW1 in many ways, including levels. I guess they wanted to adapt the levelling process to the content of the game, wishing to avoid grind and reppetitiveness. Even though there are 80 levels, there wont be a steep levelling curve, so there woun't be too much different  getting from 20-30 to 60-70.

Loke666

Hard Core Member

7/09/11 2:23:55 PM#31

There was a discussion about it in a forum a long time ago, Jeff Strain himself made a few posts and at the time he considered a lot of different options including no levels and even unlimited level cap.

The reason GW1 had 20 levels and stuck with it is because of PvP balance. GW is the only well balanced MMO ever. Whenever games like Wow raise the levelcap they become totally unbalanced again and in many cases arn't the balancing even done when they raise it again.

The number 20 comes from D&D, you can have 1000 or 5 levels as well, it really doesn't matter that much. What matters is how long time it takes to max out.

I think GW2 choosed 80 levels because it is the most popular number, I also think they will stick with those levels for the games lifespan. They could as well had 20 levels, but if most of the players prefer to have more why not give them it?

The big difference here is that GW2 will have level requirement on gear, GW1 had stats reqs on some weapons, and even the toughest reqs could be reached at level 8 or so. Armors only needed some cash and mats, except the faction armors.

Unlight

Novice Member

7/09/11 5:31:05 PM#32
Originally posted by Loke666

There was a discussion about it in a forum a long time ago, Jeff Strain himself made a few posts and at the time he considered a lot of different options including no levels and even unlimited level cap.

The reason GW1 had 20 levels and stuck with it is because of PvP balance. GW is the only well balanced MMO ever. Whenever games like Wow raise the levelcap they become totally unbalanced again and in many cases arn't the balancing even done when they raise it again.

The number 20 comes from D&D, you can have 1000 or 5 levels as well, it really doesn't matter that much. What matters is how long time it takes to max out.

I think GW2 choosed 80 levels because it is the most popular number, I also think they will stick with those levels for the games lifespan. They could as well had 20 levels, but if most of the players prefer to have more why not give them it?

The big difference here is that GW2 will have level requirement on gear, GW1 had stats reqs on some weapons, and even the toughest reqs could be reached at level 8 or so. Armors only needed some cash and mats, except the faction armors.

Another reason to change it is the commonly held perception that a level 20 cap was just too low, without realizing that capping in GW1 meant very little and didn't signal the beginning of the all important "END GAME".  Years later, that misconception persists, and is often cited as a negative.  Switching to 80 simply nullifies that initial hesitiation people might have over a low level cap, after becoming so well acquainted with it over the years with popular games like WoW.  Bigger numbers (in terms of health, energy, damage, etc.) is also another way to make the game relatable to a new crowd of people.

User Deleted
7/09/11 5:48:55 PM#33

If your looking for a ruthless fantasy PvP sandbox Darkfall is where you should go. It's funny they don't have the subs though, since it's the sandboxers dream.

Sinella

Advanced Member

7/09/11 5:56:13 PM#34
Originally posted by FreeBooteR

If your looking for a ruthless fantasy PvP sandbox Darkfall is where you should go. It's funny they don't have the subs though, since it's the sandboxers dream.

It's more of a ganker's dream....sandbox isn't equal with open world full loot FFA PvP. There are a lot of sandbox players who are eagerly waiting for a great sandbox without forced PvP.

bookworm438

Apprentice Member

7/09/11 7:12:38 PM#35

Guild Wars to is not a sandbox. No that doesn't not make it bad. People give the term "themepark" a negative connotation because some games have done a terrible job at it. But overall think about it this way: where would you rather spend you time? You can either go to a themepark or play in a sandbox. Now me personally, I'd rather go with the themepark. Besides, Guild Wars 2 isn't just a themepark. It's also a waterpark!!! Two for the price of 1.

Anyways, I'd advise you to research Guild Wars 2 on your own. Don't take the second-hand information from a bunch of forum members. Go to gaming sites, and look for articles. Go to arenanet's blog: www.arena.net/blog, go to the guild wars 2 website: www.guildwars2.com. Basically research it for yourself. None of us can tell you whether it sound interesting as we aren't you. And none of us can tell you if it's fun, as most of us have never played it. Those who have played the demo have generally gave positive reviews.

Let's put it this way, if the biggest complaint coming from the demos the first time players have actually played it are the energy potions, that's probably a good sign. I'm serious. After gamescom/pax last year, the biggest complaint people had were the potions. You really didn't hear people complain about other things. In fact most people said it was ~fun~. Yes fun, such a foreign concept in MMOs. Just those darn energy potions. Which Anet commented on the all the complaints and stated their reasoning for going with energy potions.

ArenaNet is a good company. They are quick to quell any serious confusion in the community, and they read the forum posts (yes even here). You generally don't hear from the developers, mostly the community managers. Also I should advise you to go look around www.guildwars2guru.com. ArenaNet does most of it's posting on guild wars 2 over there. It's sort of the de facto official forum.

xTalenT

Novice Member

7/09/11 8:28:53 PM#36

Dont compare Runes of magic to GW2. =D

XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

OP  7/09/11 9:20:13 PM#37

The biggest problem? Jagex used to be a great company, after they started getting money... they slowly lost touch with players, becoming like those bigtime companies. ex. Activision, EA...

I don't want that to ever happen. :(

Also I'd like to see long stretches of normal player gameplay on this.. but I guess that won't happen right now ;D

And yes I'd research it, but it's better to ask questions because usually I can't find EXACTLY the answer to my question off a website as many of you know to be true. :)

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Maplestory, and more.

ErifNevow

Novice Member

More of an idea guy...

7/09/11 9:23:53 PM#38
Originally posted by assault3hro

The biggest problem? Jagex used to be a great company, after they started getting money... they slowly lost touch with players, becoming like those bigtime companies. ex. Activision, EA...

I don't want that to ever happen. :(

Also I'd like to see long stretches of normal player gameplay on this.. but I guess that won't happen right now ;D

And yes I'd research it, but it's better to ask questions because usually I can't find EXACTLY the answer to my question off a website as many of you know to be true. :)

I used to hate Jagex, until about 4 months ago. I think they realy shaped up with the return of the wilderness and free trade, and the finishing of so many forgotten sagas in questing.

As for the topic, the research would have been pretty basic and easy to do, but let me give you what I believe to be true, that being that it will be the best sandbox game yet, with some good themepark elements. Hope that helped.

Newb= Newly Enrolled Wannabe Badass.

XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

OP  7/09/11 9:42:37 PM#39

Well, most MMORPG's if not all today, are more of a burden before you ever have any fun.

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Maplestory, and more.

C0MA

Novice Member

7/09/11 9:46:08 PM#40

Nothing like runes of magic, some aspects of a theme parkish game, no massive personal game changing impact and not a sand box. Guild Wars is a PvP game and will be picked up by all national E-Sports leagues for yearly championships and cash tournaments.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search