Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Shards | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,467 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,493
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Just to clarify - NCsoft is not making gw2! Arenanet does!

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
107 posts found
  Zeus.CM

Apprentice Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

OP  1/16/11 6:05:02 PM#1

Seeing many people saying 'Gw2 is going to be bad beacuse NCsoft is developing it!', made me angry so
Once and for all accept this, Arenanet is the developer, NCsoft is only a publisher!

Publisher, noun
a person or company whose business is the publishing of books, periodicals, engravings, computer software, etc.

Developer, noun
a person or company whose business is the developing of computer software, video games, various projects etc.

Gw2 as a game and it's contents has nothing to do with NCsoft. NCsoft is only putting gw2 to the market, advertise it and invest money in it. Arenanet makes the game's code, contents and everything we love about it!

I'm a long-term guild wars player and I've never had any problems with either NCsoft or arenanet. If people have had any problems with them It beacuse they haven't been following the rules. Strong password, strong username, no usage of any third-party programs, no lending your account to friends, using a good anti-virus/malware/spyware etc., following the games rules equals your account's safety and no problems!
I don't know why people hate NCsoft??

Kaynok

Novice Member

1/16/11 6:31:09 PM#2

People hate NCSoft because they make crappy games. Most people that play GW aren't even NCSoft fans to begin with. Like me. I'm an ArenaNet fan. Never have I liked NCSoft.

Loke666

Hard Core Member

1/16/11 6:36:30 PM#3

No, do you mean Virgin records don't write all Madonnas songs as well?

Only a few morons would confuse a publisher with the the developer. Of course in some cases the publisher owns the developer and might even have a rather nasty contract, like EA have with Mythic but this is not the case here. And even Mythic isn't EA, even if EA have the right to fire the boss.

djazzy

Novice Member

1/16/11 6:37:31 PM#4
Originally posted by Loke666

Only a few morons would confuse a publisher with the the developer.

There seems to be more than just a few though.

whilan

Keeper of the Archives

1/16/11 6:39:16 PM#5

I think it's just because NCSoft is involved at all.  At the bottom of the main website, theres a logo for NCsoft and to the right the logo for Arena net.

Arena net is the developers but NCSoft is involved.  It's the same for ToR though, Even though Bioware is developing the game people see EA and get scared.  Even though NCSoft and EA are both involved the same way, (just publishing) they see them and get weary.

Doesn't matter to me. I prefer to see the dev rather then the marketer.

Help me Bioware, your my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

sketchy_

Novice Member

1/16/11 6:45:00 PM#6

Well I guess alot of people got rather pissed about Aion. Getting so hyped about it... oohh nice graphics, oooooh you can fly, this could be awesome not thinking that it's a game made for the asian market. Resulting in total rage: OMFG GRRRIIIIND!!!

So everytime they see the NCSoft logo now they vomit. :)

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

spidii

Novice Member

1/16/11 6:48:02 PM#7

NcSoft is pretty garbage, everyone knows that and their name being anywhere near GW2 definitely sucks. But in a lot of cases such as Activision or EA, "they" (the investor) actually controls the development schedule and can bully the developers into releasing games before they are completed (i.e. FFXIV) but in ArenaNet's case, they are independently funded and THEY themselves control when, how, why, how much etc... NcSoft will invest money and physically "produce" the product but have no creative control nor can they push ArenaNet around, hence why GW2's release date is a statement from ArenaNet stating, "When it's ready". In this game's case, don't worry about Nc, they can't ruin this one.

Eladi

Advanced Member

1/16/11 6:50:13 PM#8

Ncsoft, SOE, EA , non of those make -ANY- games.  they Buy them, give out contracts to put Idea's Into games or they simply do all the paper work for the coding house and publish it under thier name.

Disney does not make -any- movie.  they hire studio's to make scripts into movies.  how good or bad a movie is going to be almost compleetly depents on the studio.

XenOshade

Novice Member

1/16/11 6:53:28 PM#9

Actually playNC is a studio company that (you guessed it) is owned by NCsoft (I could be mistaken but I believe Aion was made by playNC). Anet is a independant company using NCsoft resources to release this game in exchange NCsoft gets to put there name on it. 

just1opinion

Smart-Alek

1/16/11 6:55:46 PM#10
Originally posted by Eladi

Ncsoft, SOE, EA , non of those make -ANY- games.  they Buy them, give out contracts to put Idea's Into games or they simply do all the paper work for the coding house and publish it under thier name.

Disney does not make -any- movie.  they hire studio's to make scripts into movies.  how good or bad a movie is going to be almost compleetly depents on the studio.

I realize that's true with some companies, a lot of the big names you hear, however....I always thought SoE made EQ2.  Who did?  Sigil made Vanguard and they fly the SoE flag (sadly), but who made EQ2?  And EA doesn't make like the Madden series of games?

Even with not knowing the things above.....I always knew ArenaNet made GW and GW2.  So much info on those games you'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind to think NCSoft made them.  Thank the gaming gods I at LEAST knew THAT much. LOL

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

just1opinion

Smart-Alek

1/16/11 7:14:12 PM#11

..................................did the thread just die a hasty death or am I just too impatient waiting to find out who made EQ2 and the Madden games?   O.o

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

star8472

Novice Member

1/16/11 10:28:28 PM#12

i heared that ncsoft has bad customer support service - which is where all the players get their customer supports (?)

I was wondering if this is true or not...

if it is true i really hope arenanet put their souls into the game so we as players don't have to speak to customer support

User Deleted
1/16/11 11:57:30 PM#13

I'm so glad ArenaNet is handling Guild Wars 2 instead of NCsoft..

mmogawd

Apprentice Member

<Insert Witty Remark Here>

1/16/11 11:59:54 PM#14
Originally posted by Aljax

NCSoft OWN ArenaNet.  ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary.  NCSoft holds the purse string and ultimately calls all the shots, regardless of what anyone else wants to make themselves believe.

mmogawd

Apprentice Member

1/17/11 12:02:28 AM#15
Originally posted by Loke666

Only a few morons would confuse a publisher with the the developer. Of course in some cases the publisher owns the developer and might even have a rather nasty contract, like EA have with Mythic but this is not the case here. And even Mythic isn't EA, even if EA have the right to fire the boss.

This is EXACTLY the case here.  NCSoft is the owner of ArenaNet.  So you're right, only a few morons would confuse the publisher with the developer... lol  How does your foot taste?

rykim

Novice Member

1/17/11 12:08:19 AM#16
Originally posted by mmogawd
Originally posted by Aljax

NCSoft OWN ArenaNet.  ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary.  NCSoft holds the purse string and ultimately calls all the shots, regardless of what anyone else wants to make themselves believe.

^

ArenaNet is a subsidiary.  They are not completely independent from NCSoft.  While we do not know the specifics of the contract between the two, it's fact that NCSoft does own ArenaNet and obviously have some wiggle room with them, whether ArenaNet, or we, like it or not.

User Deleted
1/17/11 12:09:57 AM#17
Originally posted by spidii

NcSoft is pretty garbage, everyone knows that and their name being anywhere near GW2 definitely sucks. But in a lot of cases such as Activision or EA, "they" (the investor) actually controls the development schedule and can bully the developers into releasing games before they are completed (i.e. FFXIV) but in ArenaNet's case, they are independently funded and THEY themselves control when, how, why, how much etc... NcSoft will invest money and physically "produce" the product but have no creative control nor can they push ArenaNet around, hence why GW2's release date is a statement from ArenaNet stating, "When it's ready". In this game's case, don't worry about Nc, they can't ruin this one.

You're right about NCSoft being "pretty garbage," no question. Unfortunately, as I've said a few times on these forums and as at least one other poster above me has said, ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft. This means that ANet is basically a division of NCSoft and only function as a company for some legal purposes that I'm not altogether clear on. In any event, the important thing to remember is that NCSoft can bully ANet's development schedule because (1) they fund it and (2) they have experience in the business, giving them the 'right' to say that x can be done in y time even if ANet's schedule is different.

There are some very good reasons to be concerned about NCSoft potentially meddling, especially after pushing back development of Guild Wars 2 to work on AION a few years ago. However, NCSoft hasn't overtly caused the Guild Wars franchise any real hardship despite being incredibly stingy with their purse strings. This leads me to believe that Guild Wars 2 is something that NCSoft will not meddle with, especially after how AION was received in the West and considering the shot the company has to produce a game that is shaping up to be something as special as Everquest and World of Warcraft when they were introduced.

All things considered, NCSoft will prove to be a hurdle but Guild Wars 2 is likely to suffer minimally.

miagisan

Novice Member

1/17/11 12:10:02 AM#18

Those who are defending ANET and NCSOFT also better be those who never said "game XXX is gonna fail cause its a SOE/EA/ETC title!" otherwise their fanboism is just raging :)

(no i havent checked :P )

cc2918

Novice Member

1/17/11 12:11:55 AM#19

its more of NCWEST messed up NCSOFT brand in western market.

in asia, NCSOFT is 1 of the top developer/publisher.

anyhow..

u'd be sucking and praising ncsoft once archeage and b&s come out.

mmogawd

Apprentice Member

1/17/11 12:12:42 AM#20
Originally posted by The_Grump
Originally posted by spidii

You're right about NCSoft being "pretty garbage," no question. Unfortunately, as I've said a few times on these forums and as at least one other poster above me has said, ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft. This means that ANet is basically a division of NCSoft and only function as a company for some legal purposes that I'm not altogether clear on. In any event, the important thing to remember is that NCSoft can bully ANet's development schedule because (1) they fund it and (2) they have experience in the business, giving them the 'right' to say that x can be done in y time even if ANet's schedule is different.

There are some very good reasons to be concerned about NCSoft potentially meddling, especially after pushing back development of Guild Wars 2 to work on AION a few years ago. However, NCSoft hasn't overtly caused the Guild Wars franchise any real hardship despite being incredibly stingy with their purse strings. This leads me to believe that Guild Wars 2 is something that NCSoft will not meddle with, especially after how AION was received in the West and considering the shot the company has to produce a game that is shaping up to be something as special as Everquest and World of Warcraft when they were introduced.

All things considered, NCSoft will prove to be a hurdle but Guild Wars 2 is likely to suffer minimally.

Aion has far more players worldwide than GuildWars 2 could ever dream of having in the West, so I wouldn't count on NCSoft just sitting back and letting ArenaNet have their way with things...

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search