Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,720 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,863
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » A short guide to everything we know about GW2

16 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
319 posts found
  User Deleted
8/12/10 5:46:44 PM#21
Originally posted by Rivalen

I'm preety sure walking will be in game.

Why? Because a game without tanks needs ways of control, one of the ways is to use slowing abilities...and what better way to animate this then with a walking animation.

Well they mentioned that there won't be any walking. So yeah... There won't be any walking.

And keep in mind that they only release info once they are 99% sure that it will or will not be in-game.

Rivalen

Novice Member

8/12/10 5:53:00 PM#22
Originally posted by NoEndInLife

Why? Because a game without tanks needs ways of control, one of the ways is to use slowing abilities...and what better way to animate this then with a walking animation.

Well they mentioned that there won't be any walking. So yeah... There won't be any walking.

And keep in mind that they only release info once they are 99% sure that it will or will not be in-game.

I see, i didn't really read anything about walking in GW2, care to point me to that piece of information, the more i can read about this game the better.

While it's obviously not something i find really important i also find it wierd that's not in game...even in the last video you have a part where all the characters seem to be walking.

Edit: Yeap, a Charr seems to be walking at 2.32 in the manifesto video, might be just an NPC...but if a NPC has the animation...why not the playable chars?

Zeroxin

Hard Core Member

My words are not here to sway you,they are here to make you understand.

8/13/10 1:04:27 AM#23

I see, i didn't really read anything about walking in GW2, care to point me to that piece of information, the more i can read about this game the better.

While it's obviously not something i find really important i also find it wierd that's not in game...even in the last video you have a part where all the characters seem to be walking.

Edit: Yeap, a Charr seems to be walking at 2.32 in the manifesto video, might be just an NPC...but if a NPC has the animation...why not the playable chars?

Because we have so many places to go, running wouldn't be an option... apparently.

Link  to clarifications and other stuff you may not have heard about GW2.

This is not a game.

Kwintpod

Gumshoe

8/13/10 10:30:14 AM#24

This might be of help

Warband

Novice Member

8/13/10 11:04:22 AM#25

I'm pretty sure there is a walking animation as in slowing abilities, players just can't choose to walk as a option. Pretty much like gw1. The animation was there but it was part of a skill or used by NPC's. 

EvilGeek

Apprentice Member

My freedom relies on yours

OP  8/13/10 1:01:08 PM#26

I added in further info on world vs world PvP and the sidekick system direct from the official GW2 Wiki, I can't find that info on walking so haven't added anything about that yet. I'll add some info on world travel later.

AmazingAvery

Age of Conan Advocate

The only time you run out of chances is when you stop taking them.

8/14/10 1:21:39 PM#27

Nice One EvilGeek

Conan Vids Corsair 800d Case/i7 930 @ 4.4ghz/EVGA x58 760 Classified/Corsair Dominator 12GB 1600/Corsair HX1000 PSU/GTX 580x2/Intel X25-M SSD/2x WD 1TB Blacks/Corsair H90 cooler / 1x 28" 1900x1200 monitor/ G-19 Keyboard/ G500 mouse

djazzy

Novice Member

8/14/10 1:27:06 PM#28

Good thread, Evil. GW2Guru has something similar and it is stickied there. They should sticky this here so we can just point people to this thread for any newbie questions.

Fishbaitz

Apprentice Member

Skepticals, the glasses that automatically make you a skeptic!

8/14/10 1:31:48 PM#29

The link for the guildwars2wiki.com could use a more prominent place, imo. And the humans need their own blurb. Something along the lines of 'The humans of Tyria have been gone through much strife over the years, the destruction of kingdoms, a civil war, and terrible flooding. They percevier and hang tight to the 6 gods, but they are a meer shadow of what they once were. Will they go the way of the dwarves? Only time will tell.' Too dramatic?

Dubhlaith

Novice Member

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
-Dread

8/14/10 1:40:25 PM#30

This is a pretty good summary for people that have not been following the game; hopefully this will make it interesting to more people.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for everyone.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

EvilGeek

Apprentice Member

OP  8/14/10 2:13:23 PM#31

Originally posted by Fishbaitz
The link for the guildwars2wiki.com could use a more prominent place, imo. And the humans need their own blurb. Something along the lines of 'The humans of Tyria have been gone through much strife over the years, the destruction of kingdoms, a civil war, and terrible flooding. They percevier and hang tight to the 6 gods, but they are a meer shadow of what they once were. Will they go the way of the dwarves? Only time will tell.' Too dramatic?

I'll add links to the Anet blog, official site and the wiki at the top of the post.

Yes I will add something about the Humans, I like what you have written but I'll relate a little more to the lore and there's nothing wrong with drama :)

MMO.Maverick

Inquisitor

The middle road is the place to be!

8/14/10 2:29:47 PM#32

Cool. Thanks, man, this should be stickied

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

djazzy

Novice Member

8/14/10 3:05:37 PM#33

Excellent, it got stickied.

Zeus.CM

Novice Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

8/14/10 3:07:42 PM#34

thats great! btw who takes care of that sticky business?

AmazingAvery

Age of Conan Advocate

The only time you run out of chances is when you stop taking them.

8/14/10 3:58:20 PM#35
Originally posted by thedarkess

The mods, I reported it and on the list at bottom is title worthy or select other.

Conan Vids Corsair 800d Case/i7 930 @ 4.4ghz/EVGA x58 760 Classified/Corsair Dominator 12GB 1600/Corsair HX1000 PSU/GTX 580x2/Intel X25-M SSD/2x WD 1TB Blacks/Corsair H90 cooler / 1x 28" 1900x1200 monitor/ G-19 Keyboard/ G500 mouse

EvilGeek

Apprentice Member

OP  8/14/10 3:59:27 PM#36

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by thedarkess

The mods, I reported it and on the list at bottom is title worthy or select other.

Nice one, thanks AmazingAvery!

Edit: I've added some information about weapons but I'm still looking for more info about combat dynamics, I know there is some info out there that contains more about positioning and states that deflection from objects plays a role but as yet I haven't located them.

MMO.Maverick

Inquisitor

The middle road is the place to be!

8/14/10 7:53:16 PM#37

It's not the piece you were looking for, but I also found this about combat:

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

Source: here

I recall I also read somewhere of stepping into the path of a projectile to deflect it, but don't remember where.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

EvilGeek

Apprentice Member

OP  8/15/10 3:43:17 AM#38

Originally posted by cyphers
It's not the piece you were looking for, but I also found this about combat:

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

Source: here

I recall I also read somewhere of stepping into the path of a projectile to deflect it, but don't remember where.

Thanks cyphers, I added a quick sentence about body blocking and linked the source :)

Nesrie

Novice Member

8/15/10 3:50:43 AM#39

Thank you.  That was considerate of you to put up a comprehensive post like that.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Warband

Novice Member

8/15/10 7:20:34 AM#40

Here's a nice bulk of information regarding guilds including browser guild chat.

"The word "Guild" in the Guild Wars franchise has always suggested the central role guilds would play in the game. As you have stated, Guild Wars 2 will in many ways be improvements to what you wished you could have done in GW1. In this regard, could you tell us what lessons you have learned from GW1? How will guild-related features be different from GW1?

Curtis Johnson: When we made GW1 we knew that guilds and community were essential parts of the online role play experience, so we made it easy to start a guild very early in the game and for players to keep those relationships going by including all their characters in the same guilds. 

For Guild Wars 2 we’re keeping that same focus on early connections. We’re making it easy to keep all your characters in one guild, but for GW2 we decided that more friends means more fun, so it will be possible to have different characters in different guilds.  We also wanted to give guilds more common purpose, so we’re including guild achievements, and placement in the world including guilds holding keeps in World vs World. We also want to make it easier to stay connected with your guild mates, so we’re introducing features like a guild calendar to make meeting and coordinating across time zones easier, and participating in guild chat from any web browser so you can stay in touch even when you can’t play."

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/250/guild-wars-2-developer-interview/2

16 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search