Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,285 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,548
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Average Cost per Month for GW2?

10 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  8/07/10 8:07:19 AM#1

I didn't play Guild Wars, but am very interested in GW2 because of the WvWvW pvp.  I want to get an idea though how much to budget for it.

Over a typical year (based on the Guild Wars model) how much should a GW2 player expect to pay for all paid expansions?

drazzah

Novice Member

8/07/10 8:13:26 AM#2

no monthly subscribtion. 40-50 dollars per expansion?  Can you afford about 80 a year? lol

jondifool

Novice Member

8/07/10 9:19:58 AM#3

its difficult to use the expansions from gw1 as a model , because they actual funktioned as whole games in them self, and cost the same as the base game.

but you might actual newer have to buy an ekspansion if in it for WvWvW, depending on how they make it!

but using gw1 as a model you didn't have to buy the ekspansion , you could just buy the skill unlocks, i think that was around 10$. But with no montly fee, and if you like the game , then why not find the money for the ekspansions? 

read how to create a succesfull mmo before posting about GW2. And read tao of ArenaNet before talking about innovation in GW2

KillHurt

Novice Member

8/07/10 9:24:07 AM#4

You poor man, you must be used to paying for the game and then $15 a month after that. Well sir, I have news for you, extremely good news!

After you buy the game you must pay ZERO DOLLARS after that. That's right! Once the game is paid for you can play WHENEVER you want FOREVER. :)

Of course there are expansions but usually one does not even need those, but they definitely add a lot to the game.

Karesh

Spotlight Poster

8/07/10 10:34:24 AM#5

I'm not sure if you knew if it was b2p or not, if you didn't, then I guess everyone else covered that. If you did, but you're expecting a cash shop and you were wondering about that, then I would say  you'll have to pay very little. In fact, in the original guild wars, I've never felt the need to buy anything from the cash shop. All they sell anyway are the games, character slots, skill packs (which are for pvp, and you can unlock them through the game anyway), and some other things similar. So I would have to agree that you'll only have to pay for the game itself, and then the expansions if you plan on doing that.

Zeus.CM

Novice Member

www.croatian-maniacs.com

8/07/10 2:53:21 PM#6

Just buy the game and play - no monthly fees.. :)

User Deleted

OP  8/07/10 4:13:35 PM#7

Thanks for the info guys.  I just had no idea what to expect, or how many expansions a year there would be for GW2.

I have no problems with a cash shop either.  (I am actually currently playing a f2p RvR game called Regnum Online, which is pretty much the only modern game out there with 3 faction open world RvR.  To say I'm ecstatic that a AAA MMO like GW2 is going to fill this niche is an understatement).

You'd be surprised how many comments you see around MMO blogs and message boards about people pining for a new DAoC.

DarkResin

Novice Member

8/07/10 5:55:38 PM#8
Originally posted by GidSlack

Thanks for the info guys.  I just had no idea what to expect, or how many expansions a year there would be for GW2.

I have no problems with a cash shop either.  (I am actually currently playing a f2p RvR game called Regnum Online, which is pretty much the only modern game out there with 3 faction open world RvR.  To say I'm ecstatic that a AAA MMO like GW2 is going to fill this niche is an understatement).

You'd be surprised how many comments you see around MMO blogs and message boards about people pining for a new DAoC.

Well, even so, the cash shop really isn't going to be as important in GW2 as it is in most other F2P games.  They have stated numerous times that it's going to be the same as the original GW game where the "cash shop" consisted purely of cosmetic items like outfits, or cool cosmetic pets.  They also had a PvP skill unlock pack, but it worked purely for PvP so it really didn't give you an edge over anyone other than allowing you to jump into PvP faster as most people who came to the game for it's better than average PvP didn't want to spend hours getting those skills through PvE they didn't want to play.  Ultimately you won't see any weapons, armor, upgrades, whatever that would give you an edge over another player's well spent time by simply paying out a standard fee. 

And I share your enthusiasm about WvWvW.  I really haven't had a good "open world" (such that it will be in GW2) experience with PvP in MMOs (I never played DAoC), Everquest 2's seemed tacked on, WoW's was horribly unbalanced towards high level players, and the various F2P games I played were horribly unbalanced in that anyone with a credit card could purchase superior gear and weapons and be immediately better than me who was looking for a FREE to play experience rather than a PAY to play experience.

Shinami

Novice Member

8/07/10 9:40:01 PM#9

What sets the Guild Wars I Item Store apart from the item shops in other games is simply the fact that in GW I the actual item shop won't give you a gameplay advantage. At the end of the day you have to find your weapons, get your gear and actually learn how to use the skills you will win with.

Other games create item shops in which a player gets an advantage in game for spending money on it. The results are many players blowing their money over those item shops. Runes of Magic comes to mind, Plahntasy Star Universe Players spend 100s to even 1000s on Guardians Cash and practically every game I've played with item shops in which one can "BUY" a large scale advantage has a lot of the population leaving.

What remains are the HardCore players willing give their money away to a corporation while the typical gamer will get driven out of the community by those item shop. In short, a game can lose 25 - 50% of their population, but it helps the corporation since they pay LESS to maintain the servers and they collect MORE from EACH PLAYER.

Some games have both, a Monthly Fee and an ITEM SHOP.

Guild Wars I made me happy because you could actually "PLAY THE GAME" and not grind forever. I am clueless to how the Guild Wars II item shop will be.....:(

----Primary System----
i7-2600K @ 3.4 - 4.8ghz
8GB RAM, 480 GTX SC (SLI)
--Secondary System----
1090T @ 4ghz
8GB RAM, HD 6950 (Xfr)
Note: Flashed to 6970 & +20% OC

Vaettir

Novice Member

I will play anything with interesting architecture.

8/08/10 2:12:47 AM#10

I expect that new expansions will be a bit slower out of the gate than in GW1. I believe the original game will go about $60 (Amazon.com), followed by a period of at least 6 months (probably more, possibly much more)  after which there will be an expansion. The expansion might run a bit cheaper, or not, depending on how well the game is doing. I'd assume expansions, rather than standalone campaigns, as they might interfere with the new 'persistent world' philosophy. But this is Arenanet we're talking about here, and they do things their own way.

Worst-case scenario, (financially) ~$10 per month.  ($60 per installment, 2 installments per year).

And as has already been said, the item shop will be very, very, very unnecessary for success in the game.  I feel as though the GW1 item shop functioned more as a charity for Arenanet (some of the proceeds inevitably going towards GW2) with cool, but kind of frivolous prizes. And I found myself enjoying the game enough that I actually kind of want to spend some money there. For the company's sake. But clearly I'm out of my mind.