Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,782,898 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,234
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
56 posts found
  Amjoco

Elite Member

6/05/14 8:24:58 AM#21
Originally posted by Artwolf
I can't say that I "hated" GW1, but I could never get into it. I find GW2 very enjoyable - play almost every day. I only pvp tho. WvW and PvE once in a blue moon.

Same for me. GW1 had a clunky interface I couldn't get use to. I did my best though and did play when my sons played for a bit. I had somewhat the same problem with DAoC and it's character control.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Findariel

Spotlight Poster

6/05/14 8:37:44 AM#22

GW1 was a game I absolutely loved, even though it had its flaws - like no user friendly trading system.

I actually forgot a lot - but GW1 was definitely a better game, imo. Perhaps I expected too much from GW2 but I played it a lot less and have quit for quite a while now (although having reached lvl80 with 5 classes: warrior, guardian, mesmer, elementalist, ranger) while I played GW1 for years.

I'm (mostly) a PvE player, and i mostly missed things like the need for good teamwork, roles (why everyone DPS and hardly any support? And the mesmers in GW1 were really awesome compared to GW2!), challenging content, a good reward system (the hardest dungeons basically give the same reward as 10 minute rushes, compared to the special stuff you could get in for instance FoW and UW in GW1). The very limited class options because of  weapon skills - of which most are rather useless so most classes only have 1 or 2 good options which everyone expects you to equip (same with runes and stuff). More emphasis on gear (vs player skill) was also a bit of a letdown. And I absolutely hate all the mindless boss zergs, couldn't they have invented something that requires at least a bit of skill?! Also, no guild halls?

Let's hope GW3 will combine the good things form both games! :)

DMKano

Elite Member

6/05/14 8:43:33 AM#23
Originally posted by Dakeru
Originally posted by DMKano

Liked GW1 a lot.

Disliked GW2 a lot - dropped it after a month, tried going back but I just can't stand it.

There are only a handful of games I dislike more than GW2 - WS comes to mind as the most recent one.

What about ESO? I think I'm not only speaking for myself when I say we really enjoyed your rants about the failures of that game.

I enjoyed ESO a metric ton more than GW2 and WS combined.

Bugs and technical issues aside 1-50 ESO is very decent, VR is a total mess however (which is where the vast majority of players hit the wall and quit).

The problem with ESO is how inexperienced Zenimax is at running a MMO, the game would have turned out a lot better in another more experienced Dev studios hands.

ZOS will go down in history as the makers of the worst Elder Scrolls game in the franchise.

deviliscious

Advanced Member

"Adjusts ponytails and pulls the lollipop out of my mouth"

6/27/14 11:53:50 AM#24

I tried really hard to like this game, but I get so irritated while playing it, I just don't think it will happen. I adored GW1, filled out the surveys, promoted GW2 on here, think ANet  are the best,  have owned this game since the day it was released and have friends and family that want me to play this game..  so I have many reasons to love it, but I don't.  

1) The broken camera.  No first person, no camera options, camera doesn't follow you.  This frustrated me so much my game has collected dust  since day 1 due to the broken camera. Can't see anything if you are up against a wall or under a tree, constantly having to babysit the camera it takes away from being able to actually enjoy the game. I quit the game on the first day over the camera hoping they would fix it in time. They didn't. 

2) Is it bad that  I would like to punch the person who thought of linking jumping puzzle vistas to map completion in the nose? If I want to play mario, I play mario, not a mmorpg. The views are great,  and should have other options to complete vistas than jumping. Like you can choose to jump and not be attacked, or you can fight your way through.  forcing everyone to do jumping puzzles to finish map completion is the worst idea ever. Having them in the game is fine for those who like them, but  linking them to map completion is just trying to force them on everyone.

3) Love to play rangers, but HATE  western/ steampunk armor. I have tried to give it a chance, I just hate it no matter what I try to do to it, and until they add more options I still have not even seen any armor I do like :s. I prefered gw1  armors so much more. I like the elementalist armors, but they don't give you options to wear those styles for all the classes, or even create comparable styles for each class. 

4) Needs options to turn off special effects. Even on the lowest settings it is awful and in combination with the bad camera you can't see anything half the time.

There are some really awesome things about this game, I love the event system, the fluency of going from one thing to the next,  they did a great job on so many things about this game,  I guess that makes it worse for me because it kills me I hate it over the stupid camera, special effects and jumping puzzles so much I can't stand to play it. 

EDIT: I  also loved how I could just PVP on GW1 from the start if I wanted to and I stayed in the arenas for the most part from the beginning and would primarily level in there. On gw2 You cannot  do very  well  at low lvl and are forced to pve. I honeslty hate pve so that made the jumping puzzle thing even worse.

BellamySnipe

Apprentice Member

7/01/14 2:10:39 AM#25

i really prefer gw1 a lot more than gw2. gosh, i cant tell you how much i miss the pvp on the awesome maps between kurzicks and luxons. it was sooo insane great. 

plus, the chance to great ur own unique class by mixing up 2 classes was the best thing an mmo could have.

and now, we got gw2. i played my main bout 400h and a twink 300h. Yeah its a "nice" time, but lets be honest. gw2 is awesome till 80, but then; sooooooo freaking boring. Aweful combat. Who wants those dumb 5 skills bound to a weapon? the whole skill palette is boring. first i thought its only my opinion, but i started with soooo many friends playing gw2 and maybe 30% reached lvl80.

and these update politicy. who needs this dumb living storys? if i want more of the "kill 8 dinosaurs" i can play another asia-mmo.

dont get me wrong, i dont hate gw2, its a great game ( i loved jumpingpuzzles for example), but it shouldnt be "Guild Wars". It should be a spinoff oder anyhting else, but it throws EVERY FUCKING good point in gw away and goes straight to the casual market. yeah <3.

just my few words. and yeah my english is horrible, but im no native speaker ;)

TheQuietGamer

Hard Core Member

7/01/14 2:14:53 AM#26
Originally posted by Gorwe

I just wanted to check if I am the only one here who loved GW 1 and can't stand GW 2. I'll accept the reverse as well(hated GW, love GW 2). Please use the examples.

Thank you!

As a huge fan of GW1 I was horribly disappointed by GW2, so you are not alone. 

JoeyMMO

Advanced Member

To busy playing GW2 to post much around here... *shrug*

7/01/14 3:05:32 AM#27

I never really could get into GW1. Low level cap, no jumping, henchmen, solo game with coop possibilities. I love GW2 though, even if the first Living Story Season was more miss than hit. I find it far more enjoyable, love both the PvE and PvP, sometimes some WvW solo or small team or mindless zerg. Whatever I feel lilke that day.

In GW1 I never got past the solo experience. It just wasn't dynamic.

Chrisbox

Elite Member

7/01/14 3:18:51 AM#28

I just wanted to check if I am the only one here who loved GW 1 and can't stand GW 2. I'll accept the reverse as well(hated GW, love GW 2). Please use the examples.

Thank you!

There's things that I love about 1 and there's things I love about 2, but there's also a lot of things I hate about 2.

GW1 had the group content right, both guild wars may have had a limited skill bar system which I am totally against but the strategy element of combat was still there in GW1 and the challenging content was there. GW2 lacks this hard which is why many regard it as a check in every few weeks type game.  Also the fact that it doesn't have actual guild wars yet kind of disturbs me.

That being said, GW2 in my opinion nailed leveling on the head and had there been class quests along with the story quest I would probably say it was the best leveling experience I've ever had..  I also wish crafting had a bigger purpose later on because it is very very fun, but that is partially due to how flawed gearing is in that game.

Played-Everything
Playing-WoW,FFXIV:ARR,AA
Want-WoD,WH40K:EC

Zeroxin

Hard Core Member

My words are not here to sway you,they are here to make you understand.

7/01/14 3:57:42 AM#29

GW2 is a great game in it's own right and if I hadn't played GW1 I'd probably like it a lot more, I probably explore the world and do all those mini-dungeons, I'd probably do more main dungeons and more Fractals, I'd have a PvE guild that I loved playing with.

But I'm doing none of those things because I wanted more GW1 in my GW2, I wanted more group oriented Ai (group oriented in that the Ai would to protect their allies like in GW1 where they'd heal each other or rez each other) not 1v1 Ai that don't even know the meaning of ally.

In GW1 enemies had the same skills that players did so when you saw an elementalist, you new what he would be capable of. If you put that in dungeons, you'll have guardian NPCs knocking you around, elementalist NPCs laying down the AoE...... wait I just noticed I'm ranting now.

Nevermind all that, the moral of the story is... I like GW1 more than I like GW2. They can improve GW2 but the question is, are they willing to dedicate time to doing that?

This is not a game.

TheQuietGamer

Hard Core Member

7/01/14 6:07:23 AM#30

My main issue with GW2 is that they removed all the good parts in GW1 and added in a lot of fluff and inconsequential distractions into every corner of their oddly rectangular maps.  It all feels rather trivial.  

Ways in which GW1 was better: -

• Having a secondary class. 
  • The story. 
  • Capping skills. 
  • Having a free choice of skills rather than having them linked to weapons etc. 
  • Having some defined classes so that your classes actually felt interesting and unique. 
  • PVP; it was just better. 
  • Expansions which were games in their own right rather than some half-baked limited time living story. 
  • The exploration was better, yes it was linear, but that worked in GW1.  This go anywhere, do anything design in GW2 just removes any sense of narrative and completeness in the world.  
  • The level cap was 20 but there was loads to keep you playing on afterwards in terms of achievements, skill capping, exploration, aesthetic items and the story.  The level cap is now 60 but devalued entirely by the fact it changes on a whim to suit the area you are in... why have fucking levels at all if you choose to then render them entirely meaningless??
  • But the main way GW1 was better is... It was FUN!  
I just wish GW2 had taken the parts of GW1 that worked, and kept them.

Beelzebobbie

Elite Member

If DaoC was so fun why don't you just play it?

7/01/14 7:16:48 AM#31

I love both games but if I have to choose then I like GW2 better because of the combat mechanics, they are great.

In GW1 i feel that the story/lore was way better then GW2 but it's a little bit unfair to compair since gw2 hasn't been out as long as GW1. I like the idea of living world, it has to be one of the best mmo ideas in a long time however season one wasn't that great.

I do feel that they gave us a strong ending at season one and I am sure that season to will be much better in everyway. But the idea of releasing new content in small doses every 2 weeks I feel is a great idea however they need to release a expansion anyway or make season 2 filled with more permanent content and new characters and classes.

I love the pvp in both games but like someone said we want guild wars between guilds in GW2 aswell.

someone said that they miss playing healer and I missed this aswell in the beginning but now with my lvl 80 gaurdian I am a healer, not support but I am a healer. I keep my entire group alive with my heals through every dungeon there is. almost every button I can push on my gaurdian is in someway a heal so you can play healer you just have to figure out how to spec it.

There are more ways in which I love GW1 more then GW2 and the other way around but have to do some work aswell so you will have to do with this :)

flizzer

Hard Core Member

7/01/14 7:24:39 AM#32

Not a fan of GW1 despite trying to become one, but I love GW2 and consider it a great game.

When I left GW1 I told friends what I wished was different. I almost believe Anet was listening because GW2 was my list about what I wanted different with GW1. 

I hated using Heroes/mercenaries.  Just never worked well.

Bloated skill system.

Awkward combat.

UI never felt right.

The one area I have to admit GW1 excelled in, however , was the story.  The Eye of the North Asura story was especially moving and now I feel I need to replay just that.  Story in GW2 is mediocre at best.  Almost everything else I find superior, however.

Zeroxin

Hard Core Member

My words are not here to sway you,they are here to make you understand.

7/01/14 8:47:58 PM#33

You know, I just sat back and thought to myself that we are not comparing GW1 to GW2 quite fairly. Thing is, if we were to compare GW1 Prophecies back when it was first release with GW2 on release day, people would call GW2 the better game.

I think its a fairer comparison because they are a company's first foray into something different. That something different has to evolve overtime with subsequent expansions and updates. I think GW2 can turn into GW1 Nightfall without the mistakes with the time it has to grow.

This is not a game.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

7/01/14 9:03:45 PM#34

i love GW1 but cant stand heavily instanced games. I tolerate that in GW1 because there are many persistent areas, not just one city. Plus even though its instanced (for coop gameplay), each area is pretty big for a game like that.

WIth that said, i love GW2 a lot more. It became my favorite mmo since it launched and it still is. But i need more content (season 2 is bringing the maguuma area which is good). It is not a perfect game, but everything they do pleases me a lot more than the rest. The only thing in mmos that i like more than GW2 is the Warcraft Lore.

The game has some flaws and i would love to see them changing that. More lengthy public events with real consequences in the world, permanent consequences to npcs and players. Reduce the recycling of the events and instead make them more varied too.

Honeslty gameplay wise it became my standard for mmorpgs, nothing below that (more generic gameplay, limited options and lower quality) is worth my money anymore. Take some of their ideas and improve them and you will have a better mmo overall IMO.

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

7/10/14 6:02:38 PM#35
Originally posted by Malabooga

They are different alright. It's just that I can't put my finger on it/define it.

The lack of dedicated Healer/protter just killed it for me. Add in dodging and...ugh! From the flexibility of GW 1(prot prayers rock!) to random dodges. I just don't get it. Why discard such powerful pieces of game design such as interrupt Mesmer/prot monk?

What are the Main differences?

(I readily admit that I wanted GW+ instead of GW 2)

Thats part of problem for you. YOu wanted GW 1.5

While you may think they did what they did just becasue and not based on their actual development and experience of GW1, that is your right, but i beg to differ, GW1 had huge probelms with lot of things and only illusion of choice, while GW2 has less illusion of choice but actually more real choice.

You mayprefer one or the other, but personally i prefer GW2 approach.

Come on, do you really believe this? I think a lot of people have been brainwashed by the whole we give you more choice with less choices which are more meaningful. When playing GW2, I always feel like I am being forced into certain sets of skills by the game. The fact that there are fewer skills per profession and that I can't customise freely my first 5 skills and need to have a set number from each category feels extremely restrictive compared to GW1.

I can't possibly see how GW2 has more options than GW1. My choices and builds in GW1 were just as real as GW2. But I had a 100 (yes a HUNDRED) time more options. 

I also find that the combat in GW2 is not challenging at all. Soloing and levelling up to 80, I can easily do it by banging my head against the keyboard. 0 skill required. Mash buttons like crazy. Story in GW2 is poor. Story delivery and coherence is poor. 

There are many things to like about GW2 but they changed a lot of things which were key things that I enjoyed. Basically for me GW2 failed at:

- choices, skill customisation, no dual professions

- poor story. Personal story is utter CRAP!

- uninteresting combat. Levelling is not challenging at all. In GW1 it was challenging to level up and complete the campaigns. Some of the missions were extremely difficult.

- Poor PvP options. No real variety in what they call "structured" PvP. GW1 had tons of different types of PvP and GvG.

Long story short. Yes, I loved GW1 and I am not so thrilled by GW2. I liked quite a few things about GW2 but there were too many fundamental changes which I find NOT FUN.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Nadia

Elite Member

7/10/14 6:54:09 PM#36
Originally posted by Findariel

GW1 was a game I absolutely loved, even though it had its flaws - like no user friendly trading system.

I actually forgot a lot - but GW1 was definitely a better game, imo. Perhaps I expected too much from GW2 but I played it a lot less and have quit for quite a while now (although having reached lvl80 with 5 classes: warrior, guardian, mesmer, elementalist, ranger) while I played GW1 for years.

I'm (mostly) a PvE player, and i mostly missed things like the need for good teamwork, roles (why everyone DPS and hardly any support? And the mesmers in GW1 were really awesome compared to GW2!), challenging content, a good reward system (the hardest dungeons basically give the same reward as 10 minute rushes, compared to the special stuff you could get in for instance FoW and UW in GW1).

i like both games, i prefer GW1 (but in fairness that's with expansions)

i wish GW2 had a dedicated healer role

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

7/11/14 8:48:14 AM#37
Originally posted by fivoroth

Come on, do you really believe this? I think a lot of people have been brainwashed by the whole we give you more choice with less choices which are more meaningful. When playing GW2, I always feel like I am being forced into certain sets of skills by the game. The fact that there are fewer skills per profession and that I can't customise freely my first 5 skills and need to have a set number from each category feels extremely restrictive compared to GW1.

I can't possibly see how GW2 has more options than GW1. My choices and builds in GW1 were just as real as GW2. But I had a 100 (yes a HUNDRED) time more options. 

I also find that the combat in GW2 is not challenging at all. Soloing and levelling up to 80, I can easily do it by banging my head against the keyboard. 0 skill required. Mash buttons like crazy. Story in GW2 is poor. Story delivery and coherence is poor. 

There are many things to like about GW2 but they changed a lot of things which were key things that I enjoyed. Basically for me GW2 failed at:

- uninteresting combat. Levelling is not challenging at all. In GW1 it was challenging to level up and complete the campaigns. Some of the missions were extremely difficult.

- Poor PvP options. No real variety in what they call "structured" PvP. GW1 had tons of different types of PvP and GvG.

Long story short. Yes, I loved GW1 and I am not so thrilled by GW2. I liked quite a few things about GW2 but there were too many fundamental changes which I find NOT FUN.

Once you have enough experience with GW1 you know that there aren't that many choices, unless you consider being gimped and less effective than everyone else a choice.

Paragons - you ran imbagon.

Elementalists - you had Ether Renewal Healing/Prot

Dervish - aside Avatar of Melandru for Shards of Orr, you had nothing.

Mesmers - for pretty much all of GW1 prime, you had no PvE options.

Rangers - You had barrage+splinter weapon and then nothing.

Etc, etc.

What about GvG.

For large periods Assassins and Dervishes had no presence. Necros and Rangers had metas where they were seen and metas where they were completely absent.

Elemantalist were generally seen as flag runners.

You had tons of options to build a gimped build and that was it.

Yeah GW1 was challenging the first time I played it and didn't know the mechanics. After that it is as easy peazy as GW2. Even without using any PvE only skills, heroes and skills from other expansions.

HM was harder but probably not as hard as an explorer mod dungeon. One also has to remember that durin the first and second beta weekends the GW2 PvE was challenging, with mobs running out of aoe and whatnot, and the feedback wasn't good.

GW1 was better at presenting the story.

The race arc of the personal story is generally quite good. The orders arc isn't that bad either. It is the Pact arc that actually sucks.

Still the Pact Story could be the Nightfall campaign Story.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Tolmos

Advanced Member

7/11/14 9:14:04 AM#38

Honestly, I loved both, and minus a few interface options and the reaaaaally dated graphics, I'd still actively play GW1 alongside GW2 regularly.

To me, they are simply different games. GW1 felt less like an MMO and more like a hub based "dungeon crawler". The story was amazing in that game, the gameplay was engrossing for its time, but what really made the game for me were the heroes. Originally, we just had mercenaries... they were neat, but the customization of the heroes breathed new life into the game for me. Building groups of NPCs to complete content made the declining population due to age and GW2's release feel unimportant; no matter how many people were there to play with me, where 7 others or none at all, I could entertain myself for hours with gearing up, speccing and running with my NPC groups.

I logged a little over 1500 hours into GW1 back when it was at its prime, and put in another 300-500 after heroes were released. I dabble with it now, from time to time, to get more stuff for my Hall of Monuments... but honestly, I think that ship has sailed for me.

I love GW2, now, though. It feels vastly different, but still feels as much like "home" as GW1. I probably wouldn't enjoy the game as much if it had a subscription model, since I'd feel compelled to play it more, but with the current system it became the game that I always return to. =D

http://imgur.com/a/kU0qS
Players of Balmung- a compilation of different characters I've come across during my adventures in FFXIV ARR.

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

7/12/14 11:23:57 AM#39
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
Originally posted by fivoroth

Once you have enough experience with GW1 you know that there aren't that many choices, unless you consider being gimped and less effective than everyone else a choice.

Paragons - you ran imbagon.

Elementalists - you had Ether Renewal Healing/Prot

Dervish - aside Avatar of Melandru for Shards of Orr, you had nothing.

Mesmers - for pretty much all of GW1 prime, you had no PvE options.

Rangers - You had barrage+splinter weapon and then nothing.

Etc, etc.

What about GvG.

For large periods Assassins and Dervishes had no presence. Necros and Rangers had metas where they were seen and metas where they were completely absent.

Elemantalist were generally seen as flag runners.

You had tons of options to build a gimped build and that was it.

Yeah GW1 was challenging the first time I played it and didn't know the mechanics. After that it is as easy peazy as GW2. Even without using any PvE only skills, heroes and skills from other expansions.

HM was harder but probably not as hard as an explorer mod dungeon. One also has to remember that durin the first and second beta weekends the GW2 PvE was challenging, with mobs running out of aoe and whatnot, and the feedback wasn't good.

GW1 was better at presenting the story.

The race arc of the personal story is generally quite good. The orders arc isn't that bad either. It is the Pact arc that actually sucks.

Still the Pact Story could be the Nightfall campaign Story.

I never ran most of the builds you mentionned in PvE. And I was certainly not "gimped".  A lot of the builds you mentioned didn't even exist in the earlier campaigns. The last expansion GWEN broke the game to no end where everyone and their dog just used PvE only skills (worst idea ever) and Ursan's blessing to faceroll everything.

Of course, there were builds which were very popular but there was still a huge variety of viable builds in PvE. Some of the builds were extremely creative, e.g. the first time someone came up with 55 monk. My necro had tons of builds I can use in PvE depending on the situation and a lot of them offered a completely different playstyle. Something which GW2 fails at.

I think it's obvious that once you learn the mission mechanics, the game became much easier. But that is too be expected?! GW2 was never challenging. Not even the first time. You can't even compare GW1 to GW2. There were some really hard bonuses as well, e.g. Glint during Prophecies was a very difficult bonus. 

GW1 PvP changed a lot over the years and the expansion. OF course, there was a metagame like in every competitive game but it was much better than GW2. GW2's lack of PvP options made their arenas very boring quickly. Capture the point style PvP game is just meh. Only 1 mode becomes boring quickly. What's even worse it's one of the worst PvP modes.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

GrayImpact

Hard Core Member

7/12/14 11:38:39 AM#40

I enjoyed GW2 for a month or so, but all in all I consider it a pretty poorly made MMO, just never felt a need to continue or progress in it, nor was it as fun as MMO's i played previously.

I loved GW1 a lot, i tried to go back to it a couple of times but the population is just to low and spread out to really play it properly, but if it was populated I'd be playing it to this day.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search