Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Wasteland 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,731 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,431
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
178 posts found
  rodingo

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:12:56 AM#121
Originally posted by bcbully
@gia gw2 does not have an active block button. Please do not redefine. You can not put up you guard at any time to mitigate any attack.

Gaia didn't say GW2 has an active block button, just active blocks in which it does.  It depends on the class and the weapon such as:

1) warrior with shield using the ability shield stance

2) warrior using mace and counter blow

3) guardian using a sword and zealot's defense

4) messemer using a sword and illusionary riposte

5) messemer using a scepter and illusionary counter

and so on....

There are many more but I didn't feel like listing them all.  You are right, there is no dedicated active block button you can hold to spam block.  It depends on the class and what hand the weapon is located which determines the button you will use to actively block, which is usually the number 4 or 5.  There is of course a cool down between uses of these block abilities but they mitigate 100% damage and usually trigger a counter of some sort. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:18:51 AM#122
Originally posted by rodingo
@gia gw2 does not have an active block button. Please do not redefine. You can not put up you guard at any time to mitigate any attack.

Gaia didn't say GW2 has an active block button, just active blocks in which it does.  It depends on the class and the weapon such as:

and so on....

There are many more but I didn't feel like listing them all.  You are right, there is no dedicated active block button you can hold to spam block.  It depends on the class and what hand the weapon is located which determines the button you will use to actively block, which is usually the number 4 or 5.  There is of course a cool down between uses of these block abilities but they mitigate 100% damage and usually trigger a counter of some sort. 

So just like every other mmorpg that's been made with special class abilities that allow for mitigation on CD. 

YOU know there is a huge difference between this and the active block ESO or Wushu offers. 

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:23:18 AM#123
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

GW2 has active skills that block.

For example an Engineer in WvW use Pistol/Shield.

Shield five is a block that can block any number of ranged attacks for 2 secs or a single melee attack (it will stun and deal damage).

An engineer also uses tool kit (quite popular in WvW). Skill #4 is a block that lasts for 3 secs and can block any number of attacks.

Warrior Shield #5 block any number of attacks.

Ranger Greatsword 4 is another skill that last a few seconds and that will block 1 attack (and perform a counter attack) or block any number of ranged attacks for a short duration.

The use of the blocks is limited by your weapon/skills load out and their recharge.

I've asked you before - how many attacks can you block/how long can you have your guard up in ESO?

I doubt it is infinite and it has some recharge/cooldown mechanism (even if it is called something else).

And I told you Gia.. Just try it. I'm not being an ass, but GW2 does not have it. You will understand once you try in ESO or Wushu. It's not even close.

Again in ESO or Wushu all classes and builds can block any attack at anytime. There is block/parry endurance eventually if you just hold block in ESO you will lose energy. In Wushu you parry will break, or be broken by a feint attack.

Here is an example of the flow of combat in ESO post in another thread - 

You see things like Player A opens with slow, heavy duel dagger attack. Player B blocks the attack and counters with a quick light two handed weapon attack. Player B then follows up with a second heavier medium attack, but is blocked/interrupted (RMB+LMB) by Player A, putting player B in a dazed state. Notice NO class or weapon abilities have been used in this scenario.

edit - and it's also a timing thing... not a CD that lasts X amount of time. When you get a look, you will understand.

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

rodingo

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:30:09 AM#124

and so on....

So just like every other mmorpg that's been made with special class abilities that allow for mitigation on CD. 

YOU know there is a huge difference between this and the active block ESO or Wushu offers. 

Well I actually have no idea how it works in ESO so I can't comment on it, though I do know how it works in Skyrim and Oblivion.  In those games you lose some stamina per hit while blocked and you still take some damage, so it isn't something that can be held indefinitely.  Like you said in the other forums, I havn't played Wushu in over 8 months so I can't honestly remember if there is any resource management to blocking.  Is there?  So it basically boils down to having a block that mitigates 100% every 15-30 seconds or something that eats up some other source other than time.  Then it's just decided on which style you prefer.  I think all versions have their merits and skill on knowing when to use them.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:45:34 AM#125

and so on....

Well I actually have no idea how it works in ESO so I can't comment on it, though I do know how it works in Skyrim and Oblivion.  In those games you lose some stamina per hit while blocked and you still take some damage, so it isn't something that can be held indefinitely.  Like you said in the other forums, I havn't played Wushu in over 8 months so I can't honestly remember if there is any resource management to blocking.  Is there?  So it basically boils down to having a block that mitigates 100% every 15-30 seconds or something that eats up some other source other than time.  Then it's just decided on which style you prefer.  I think all versions have their merits and skill on knowing when to use them.

No man.. there is no 15-30 secs thing. It's like two knights fighting... Here like this but faster (Lulz) in a video game way... but cooler like this. You see, no cool downs. You see the attack you choose to block, dodge, or eat it, at all times.

Anything more, and I will feel like you're trolling me...

edit -  "Then it's just decided on which style you prefer.  I think all versions have their merits and skill on knowing when to use them." Dude that's me showing you a car, and you saying you have one too, then showing me a horse, then saying it boils down to which type a car a person prefers. omg... You have a horse, and that's fine, but for ffs don't call it a car.

Magnetia

Advanced Member

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

1/17/14 12:46:16 AM#126

GW1 you MAKE BiS items from shitty gold items. 

The only real grind in gw1 was cosmetic or if you wanted to be top level pvper.

So...do you not like ascended because you for some reason require bis for PVE?

Quite frankly nobody gives a real shit if you're just in exotics.

PvP does not care about your silly paying for items.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Dranean

Novice Member

1/17/14 12:53:34 AM#127
Originally posted by OldManFunk

Hello.

I'm a fan of the prerelease GW2, the one that Colin Johanson told us so much about, the game that never came to be.

I believed Colin when he said he wanted to make a game that wasn't grindy.

I believed Colin when he said he wanted to make a game that wasn't pay to win.

It was a lie. GW2 is grindy. GW2 is pay to win.

Legendary Weapons are BIS. Ascended armor and accessories are BIS. Legendary and Ascended have ridiculous material lists and are time gated... unless you buy the required mats from the TP.

How might one go about obtaining gold to purchase said implements of end-game destruction you might ask? Well hero, one easy way is to purchase gems with real money and then convert them to gold. (Hence forth known as PAY TO WIN.)

We were told that the gear in GW2 would be fluff, cosmetic, without power creep. We were lied to.

I am sorry that I spoke out for this game and its developers. I am sorry that I may have misled people by repeating the lies I was told. I promised that if I were wrong I'd return and say as much and here I am. I was wrong. Gw2 is in fact grindy and pay to win.

And I thought you were going to say sorry for bothering us with your story whic has been posted numerous of times...

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:56:24 AM#128
So you are saying that you can block every single attack in Eso.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 12:58:14 AM#129
So you are saying that you can block every single attack in Eso.

Yes, swords, daggers, arrows, spells, at anytime until your endurance runs out. You can even counter those attacks with  RMB + LMB. 

edit - to avoid confusion.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/17/14 1:01:13 AM#130

So one is limited by cooldown and duration, the other is limited by a resource that will drain out.

For some reason your knight video is quite similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUohr-hjbxY&t=1m45s

Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 1:06:38 AM#131
So one is limited by cooldown and duration, the other is limited by a resource that will drain out.

So what if your horse eats grass and mine eats gas, they are both horses huh? NO THEY ARE NOT  omg ty for the laugh. I hope you get a chance to try it. When you do, please pm me and say "I UNDERSTAND!"

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/17/14 1:11:56 AM#132

So what if your horse eats grass and mine eats gas, they are both horses huh? NO THEY ARE NOT  omg ty for the laugh. I hope you get a chance to try it. When you do, please pm me and say "I UNDERSTAND!"

I've seen your knight video.

Somehow it is quite close to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUohr-hjbxY&t=1m45s .

Warrior raise its shield and block the attacks.

Shame you didn't link to game footage.

bcbully

Elite Member

1/17/14 1:42:10 AM#133

Somehow it is quite close to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUohr-hjbxY&t=1m45s .

About as close as a horse is to a car. Bed time Gia... Like I said, not being an ass, but you couldn't be more off if you tried. I've done all I could with example, videos, and explanations. Have a good night.

Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

1/17/14 1:47:53 AM#134

GW2 has skills that you have to use to be able to block while in ESO you just press RMB hold it in until your endurance runs out, more points in endurance longer you can active block.

GW2 blocks are skilled tied and are on cooldowns so that means GW2 dont have active block ESO does.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/17/14 2:39:24 AM#135

About as close as a horse is to a car. Bed time Gia... Like I said, not being an ass, but you couldn't be more off if you tried. I've done all I could with example, videos, and explanations. Have a good night.

First it is Gaia.

Otherwise I'll start calling you Billie.

Second your examples for ESO and Age of Wushu blocking are a Medieval event and the movie Troy.

Yes, mate, we get that Movies aren't the same as video games.

But we were talking about video game mechanics.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/17/14 2:43:24 AM#136
Originally posted by Torgrim

GW2 has skills that you have to use to be able to block while in ESO you just press RMB hold it in until your endurance runs out, more points in endurance longer you can active block.

GW2 blocks are skilled tied and are on cooldowns so that means GW2 dont have active block ESO does.

So you saying GW2 blocks are passive?

Last time I checked they require an active action by the user. Not only that timing is essential for it to catch anything useful.

Of course active blocks are only one aspect of GW2 active defense - dodges is another.

I don't see where is the difficulty in understanding what active and passive in the context of games mean.

Autoattack is a passive attack, while other attacks require an action by the player and so are active.

Dodging and blocking in WoW are passive, generated by the stats and game formulas.

In GW2 dodging and blocking are active since they need to be activated by the player.

ESO focus loads of its combat in blocking. Fine. That doesn't mean it is the only active blocking.

oubers

Apprentice Member

1/17/14 3:06:03 AM#137
Originally posted by tom_gore
Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
I was actually very surprised how grindy this game was since it basically prided itself on being the opposite.

It wasn't when it launched. Peak power was extremely easy to get. Then people started to get bored and wanted new content to - believe or not - grind so that they would have something to do.

In comes the concept of Ascended Gear and out goes the concept of a non-grindy game.

That's basically it. ANet buckled under the content locust whiners.

amen bro, it is idd all you content locusts that are the whiners...always!.

I play about 1 hour a day, very casual.......have been since launch and still enjoying the game, if i am sick of doing events i go roaming the world for mats or go do a dungeon.

I have about 6 chars.....3 x lvl 80, 1x lvl 74, 1xlvl 69, and my new alt lvl 16 and still i am having funn, there is no better mmo out there imho (at this time).

If i realy have enough of GW2 for a while there is also stil Skyrim (bit dissappointed in this title tbh) and TL2.

I think most of the "young" gamers just play too much......go outside once in a while you know.

maybe i am getting old.......NAH :p hehe

FlyByKnight

Apprentice Member

1/17/14 3:19:20 AM#138
Originally posted by oubers
I was actually very surprised how grindy this game was since it basically prided itself on being the opposite.

It wasn't when it launched. Peak power was extremely easy to get. Then people started to get bored and wanted new content to - believe or not - grind so that they would have something to do.

In comes the concept of Ascended Gear and out goes the concept of a non-grindy game.

Nope, you're just making sweeping generalizations based on random internet person logic.

simplius

Novice Member

1/20/14 5:10:53 AM#139
Originally posted by oubers

amen bro, it is idd all you content locusts that are the whiners...always!.

I play about 1 hour a day, very casual.......have been since launch and still enjoying the game, if i am sick of doing events i go roaming the world for mats or go do a dungeon.

I have about 6 chars.....3 x lvl 80, 1x lvl 74, 1xlvl 69, and my new alt lvl 16 and still i am having funn, there is no better mmo out there imho (at this time).

If i realy have enough of GW2 for a while there is also stil Skyrim (bit dissappointed in this title tbh) and TL2.

I think most of the "young" gamers just play too much......go outside once in a while you know.

okay, lets remove all the locusts from the game

whos left? 5 PVPers, and 7 raiders

lets see how long the game can last , with that kind of money

without the locusts, there wouldnt BE a game

oubers

Apprentice Member

1/20/14 5:19:54 AM#140
Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

P2W? Who exactly are you winning/losing against? Zhaitan? Scarlet? Bubbles?

Grindy? Yea, maybe, but when does running around for a few hours gathering mats turn from "playing the game" to "grind"? Your call, I guess.

And, yes, I'm very sorry you have to put in a few hours to get better gear. They should really give them to you when you buy the box.

awnage post.....so true.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search