Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,382 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,272
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » So apparently my serial key is linked with a different email.

8 posts found
  Blindchance

Novice Member

OP  1/15/14 2:09:43 PM#1

I've decided to reinstall GW2 today, tried to reset the password and ...it didn't work. According to the email from the support team my serial is linked to a different email. I dig out my registration email and some old support tickets, so my email is definitely correct. My serial as I have in the in the front of my face together with the original packaging so no mistake here either.

I wonder if you even receive an email claiming your log in details for GW2 change,  in this case log in not the password.

I suppose someone at the support sells inactive accounts details on a side or their system is far from perfect.

demadil

Hard Core Member

1/15/14 2:18:39 PM#2
No it's probably the blindchance@ncsoft (just an example) problem-- If you bought gw2 when it came out and linked your gw and gw2 accounts everything was fine up until they wanted to verifiy your account a few months later with the original email account-which by the way is not a email account-I havn't been able to play since then,just never bothered to try.
  Blindchance

Novice Member

OP  1/15/14 2:23:38 PM#3
I never had GW account, my account was registered with my personal email account and I have never received an email saying that my log in for GW2 changed.
  maskedweasel

Tipster

"Kids, try imagining how far the universe extends! Keep thinking about it until you go insane."

1/15/14 2:45:25 PM#4

Man don't even get me started on GW2 support,  okay.. you got me started...

When I first tried logging back in after, oh I don't know.. maybe a year.. since launch,  I couldn't get in either..  it kept telling me it was sending me a security e-mail to verify my account, and I never received it...  I contacted support about the issue, stating I tried even logging into the website changing my e-mail and having it resend and I couldn't even do that, because logging into the website required it to send one of those same e-mails for verification.

A couple days later and support finally got back, telling me to provide my serial and all that jazz... and I did.. which was the correct e-mail despite them stating it didn't match...

It was by far the toughest I've had to work to get into a game that I've ever experienced, and after a week, I completely lucked out by bringing my laptop to work, and logging in there.. and because it has always had a static IP, I was able to log in without the authentication e-mail.  I quickly logged into the GW2 site and changed my authenticator to use the google key authentication, and haven't had an issue with that since.

However with the crashes lately, I've had other in game issues, and support has been no help... I haven't received a response and its been nearly 2 days...

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/15/14 5:14:17 PM#5
Originally posted by Blindchance

I've decided to reinstall GW2 today, tried to reset the password and ...it didn't work. According to the email from the support team my serial is linked to a different email. I dig out my registration email and some old support tickets, so my email is definitely correct. My serial as I have in the in the front of my face together with the original packaging so no mistake here either.

I wonder if you even receive an email claiming your log in details for GW2 change,  in this case log in not the password.

I suppose someone at the support sells inactive accounts details on a side or their system is far from perfect.

Lets see what you can do.

Create a post in a forum that will not be able to help.

Create a new ticked to Anet explaining the problem and since you have the serial and packaging it should be no problem to recover your account.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Blindchance

Novice Member

OP  1/15/14 6:20:25 PM#6
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Create a new ticked to Anet explaining the problem and since you have the serial and packaging it should be no problem to recover your account.

What do you think I have done on the first place ? This topic is nothing else then a commentary on the whole affair to point out the issue which most likely affected more then just me.

So far the support claims my key is associated with a different email, yet I have no confirmation email on my "previous" email. Chances I got hacked on my side are close to zero, my email account has double authentication, I run fully patched system, I'm security aware and I doubt from all the things they could get they would go for my GW2 account.

The conclusion ? Someone f...it up at ArenaNet, it's either an accident, lack of proper security controls ( maybe they never notify you about login change ? ) or someone is making some money on a side selling inactive accounts.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

1/16/14 9:29:35 AM#7

What do you think I have done on the first place ? This topic is nothing else then a commentary on the whole affair to point out the issue which most likely affected more then just me.

So far the support claims my key is associated with a different email, yet I have no confirmation email on my "previous" email. Chances I got hacked on my side are close to zero, my email account has double authentication, I run fully patched system, I'm security aware and I doubt from all the things they could get they would go for my GW2 account.

The conclusion ? Someone f...it up at ArenaNet, it's either an accident, lack of proper security controls ( maybe they never notify you about login change ? ) or someone is making some money on a side selling inactive accounts.

You cannot change the email linked to your account without creating a support ticket.

So you just need to ask them where is the support ticket you created. The support ticket would have to been the email you have the previous confirmation of successful registration that you should be able to provide.

Any change of log in information (like password reset) is emailed to you.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Blindchance

Novice Member

OP  1/16/14 1:35:53 PM#8

You cannot change the email linked to your account without creating a support ticket.

So you just need to ask them where is the support ticket you created. The support ticket would have to been the email you have the previous confirmation of successful registration that you should be able to provide.

Any change of log in information (like password reset) is emailed to you.

Good to know they follow the basics. I almost forgot that you need to whitelist any new IP from which you are trying to login to your account too.

Funny enough today I received an email with a password reset link. No word about why they claimed in the first emailed that my serial is not linked to this account.

Sorted.