Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,705 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,571
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Which one is your main?

20 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  8/26/13 6:05:33 AM#1

I'm just asking because I have 4 level 80s and I want to work on my first world completion with one of them. I just haven't been able to settle on which one I want to focus on.

When you have a lot of alts and you find them all fun to play in their own way, how do you decide which one becomes your main?

PorkNails

Novice Member

8/26/13 6:08:35 AM#2

for the map completion i though of which one runs faster.

Deivos

Apprentice Member

Iarð skal rifna, ok upphiminn.

8/26/13 6:11:04 AM#3

I tend to at least participate in light RP, so mostly it's whichever character I'm thematically invested in most at the time.

In the end it becomes a notion of which character or personality I enjoy most more than just the class.

If you don't RP I would imagine there is still some kind of similar element you might consider. A sentimental value about the events you participated in with that character or some of the experiences you've had with them.

If all else fails, pick whichever one you find yourself to have the most mechanical efficiency with so at to achieve your goal quickest. It might be considerably less fun, but at least it gets the job done? :p

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero. - Vaarsuvius

User Deleted

OP  8/26/13 6:31:52 AM#4

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

As far as I can tell, all of my characters have some sort of speed buff.  

As far as the role play stuff goes, I haven't really done that, but I like the Norn ethos, and then the Charr. I like the way the Norn are into the animal spirits. I'm not into their  boasting thing, though. I like to think of my toons as the strong, silent type. I have a thief and a warrior  I tend to play a lot these days. 

As far as ease of getting the world completion, I have a run speed buff on the warrior and his survivability is pretty good. But there is the anomaly of my Asura engineer. It's a challenging class to play. Fun and frustrating for me at the same time and I'd like to get better at it. I like the engi because I like to play support classes in wvw and want to get good enough to spvp. 

All things being equal, the warrior seems like the easiest way to get the world completion done. After that, I think the thief and engi would be fun to play in pvp. 

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

8/26/13 6:34:06 AM#5
A level 80 warrior is very hard to kill with a "tankish" spec and can get a permanent run speed buff while wielding melee weapons. It's a great character for world completion without too much trouble with the... "inhabitants".

Playing now: Archeage, WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

Aeander

Elite Member

8/26/13 7:41:29 AM#6
I main Elementalist and Engineer. I like the challenge that these professions provide along with their versatility. I also have a Mesmer to meet high end PvE demands. 
  Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

8/26/13 7:46:49 AM#7
Mesmer

pwain

Novice Member

8/26/13 7:47:46 AM#8
I play an Engineer
  PorkNails

Novice Member

8/26/13 10:00:18 AM#9
Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

As far as I can tell, all of my characters have some sort of speed buff.  

As far as the role play stuff goes, I haven't really done that, but I like the Norn ethos, and then the Charr. I like the way the Norn are into the animal spirits. I'm not into their  boasting thing, though. I like to think of my toons as the strong, silent type. I have a thief and a warrior  I tend to play a lot these days. 

As far as ease of getting the world completion, I have a run speed buff on the warrior and his survivability is pretty good. But there is the anomaly of my Asura engineer. It's a challenging class to play. Fun and frustrating for me at the same time and I'd like to get better at it. I like the engi because I like to play support classes in wvw and want to get good enough to spvp. 

All things being equal, the warrior seems like the easiest way to get the world completion done. After that, I think the thief and engi would be fun to play in pvp. 

Thief has that permanent speed signet, high dmg but its harder to run arround (low hp and not that many condition removal).

Warrior has nice dmg, nice survival, perma swiftness without any specific traits (warhorn plus signet of rage, using both skills on cooldown).

Eng has 1 build with perma swiftness, good dmg and good survival. Also a nice option.

In the end i think you can get it with any class. Though the easiest/fastest would be warrior.

Whiskey_Sam

Advanced Member

Nemo me impune lacessit.

8/26/13 11:39:43 AM#10
I did world completion with a thief because it was easier to stealth around things than fighting through mobs every two feet.  With the thieve's guild NPCs I was able to solo all but a handful of the skill points.

TeknoBug

Novice Member

8/26/13 12:42:30 PM#11

Mesmer which I haven't really done anything with since last Octoboer, I should've rolled a Necromancer to begin with but that's the class I've been loving even when it's broken.

User Deleted
8/26/13 3:31:15 PM#12

Like others have said, thief is arguably best for world completion due to having the most mobility in the game (you can dash country miles in front of perma-swiftness eles) and stealth for WvW completion. 

My main was a condition necro, simply because I loved to engage in roaming and loved to be king of 1v1.

I can't think of anything off the bat that could defeat a condition necro 1v1 on an open plane... and really had never lost to anything unless it had some kind of distinct advantage (e.g. superior numbers, knocking me off a cliff while I wasn't paying attention etc.).

Jackdog

Advanced Member

8/27/13 11:52:40 AM#13
3 lvl 80's.Ele, Guardian, and a Necro. Necro is set up for farming in Orr and she is damn near indestructable as a well Necro. Kills faster than my ele and seems to be as tough as the guardian. Other 2 are more set up for dungeons. Working on a 20's Hunter, 40's Warrior and a 50's Mesmer also atm. Whichever one I am playing at the time tends to be my favorite but if had to choose just one it would be that Necro

I miss DAoC

ESSKA

Novice Member

8/27/13 6:22:32 PM#14

I have 9 characters and each profession to 80 accept my new Elementalist. I made an Asura Guardian and eventually the small weapons got on my nerves so i rerolled and made a human. I did the same with my Charr Theif because the armor just didn't look good to me anymore. I made my human Guardian my main and fitted him with ascended jewelry and deleted my Charr Theif and made an Ele in its place.

I like the buffs, skill animations and being able to do a little bit of a support while still kicking butt. And when Arenanet adds more weapons i think it will be interesting to see what Guardians get!

mazut

Apprentice Member

8/28/13 3:20:36 AM#15
I have almost 6 lvl 80, but still my main is my Necro and will always be.
  User Deleted
8/28/13 6:35:33 AM#16
OP, you are touching on something that ended up being a core problem in the game for me.  I doubt you will ever identify enough with a single character to call them your main as all the classes play strange for their "calling" and lack the expected oomph for satisfaction in play. They are ill balanced and I have jokingly accused the designer of being an old wizard and rogue gameplay fan boy thanks to the way ability and weapon sets chain like spells used too. Another part of it is that they are all so hybridized and lacking in specific roles that they feel bland rather than affirming of a play style. They are all very playable but lacking a real effective niche to carve out and identify with. If I seem to ramble, sorry, but I am not sure how to word it all better. :)
  aesperus

Elite Member

8/28/13 6:48:15 AM#17
Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I'm just asking because I have 4 level 80s and I want to work on my first world completion with one of them. I just haven't been able to settle on which one I want to focus on.

When you have a lot of alts and you find them all fun to play in their own way, how do you decide which one becomes your main?

This is going to depend on why you want world completion.

Are you doing it just for the rewards? Or do you actually want to explore the game & its story?

If it's the first, then you want a class that's durable, has strong mobility, and has decent kill power. Something like a Warrior, Guardian, or Necro are probably the easiest. Then again, if you have trouble with jumping puzzles you may want an ele or something for the teleport.

If you want completion for the story / to explore, then go with whatever character you feel looks the best / or will have the most interesting story.

- Also keep in mind you'll have to go to WvW for world completion, so def pick a class you're confident you can roam around in there without being too afraid of dying.

krage

Apprentice Member

8/28/13 6:53:00 AM#18

I play Engineer as my main like 90% of the time, its who I do all the content releases on and dungeon running :D

As you were mentioning speed boosts, engineers can have a permanent 33% speed boost by pairing Speedy Kits and constantly swapping a kit out...use that and rocket boots and you will zoom across the map.

I don't agree that all classes feel the same as some have opined (Some do overlap though), of all my level 80s (Warrior, Engi, and Mesmer) they dont really have similar playstyles in fights as far as focus.

Engi is S/D Rifle gadget build CC & DPS

Warrior is Greatsword burst DPS

Mesmer is Staff Buff/Debuffing and DPS.

Lord.Bachus

Hard Core Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

8/28/13 7:10:46 AM#19

I have 6 level 80, and the two other classes well on their way..

but  i seem unable to choose a main, because non of the 8 classes allows me to build for a long ranged support caster/ healer with pets..  All 3 caster types feel to much like a mellee class because of the active combat system...

nothing comes close to my favourite classes so far mmo wise...

restoration shaman in WoW

bloodmage in Vanguard

Druid in EQ

Mentalist DAoC

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

User Deleted
8/28/13 7:17:47 AM#20
80 warrior, do not go Norn if you want world completion and jumping puzzles, I did it but my god it was infuriating at times...