Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Albion Online | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,157 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,536
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » 8 months in. Did GW2 break from the WoW formula?

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
174 posts found
  InFlamestwo

Apprentice Member

5/09/13 3:10:37 PM#141

GW2 is definitvely different from WoW. In GW2 there's much more choices and "freedom", there's so many dungeons, different armours and builds for each class, SPvP, WvWvW, puzzles,fractals of the mists, Living Story, Personal Story etc. The combat is much more fast paced and you're pumped of adrenaline every time in combat, while fighting enemies.

Yes.

nerbon

Novice Member

5/09/13 4:24:20 PM#142

gw2 is like 10% of wow content

but its free

after lvl 80 you can only grind for legendary weapons or grind WvW title with each char

sPvP is pretty crap compared even to GW1

so GW2 is wow ersatz for ppl who cant afford monthly fee

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

5/09/13 7:44:27 PM#143
Originally posted by nerbon

but its free

after lvl 80 you can only grind for legendary weapons or grind WvW title with each char

GW2 isn't a year old.  WoW is almost 8 or 9 years old.

It's not free.  It's buy to play.

After 80, there is many activities to do.

SPvP isn't the best, but it's not crap.

Your opinions are not convincing anyone that you know what you're talking about.

Maelzrael

Hard Core Member

I like games.

5/09/13 7:56:37 PM#144

"quit gw2" is subjective. I take a break from it every now and again to play other games, but since is B2P I always return for new updates... so you cant really judge who has "quit" and who is taking a break, since there are no subs.

On point, the game is Very Very different from WoW. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Raids and more progression in gw2 as I find the lack of them makes me get bored a lot faster. Luckily for A-net they add new content in the game so freaking fast its really hard to stay away.

Heres hoping though.

Maelzrael

Hard Core Member

I like games.

5/09/13 7:58:16 PM#145
Originally posted by nerbon

but its free

/facepalm

Play the game before you comment on threads like this..

..sad.

DKLond

Hard Core Member

5/10/13 2:48:38 AM#146
Originally posted by Vorch

Person asks how GW2 has broken from formula 8 months later...

People who haven't played in 7 months answer the question.

I think GW2 is the new game to hate...and what is with the 3 "8 months later" threads?

The question wasn't HOW - but IF - and we all know that it broke from the formula. That's a simple "yes" and then thread = over.

Some of us are talking about how successful it's been - and we're talking about the good versus the bad. I've mentioned that I admire GW2 a lot for several things - and I've acknowledged that is has many strengths.

But that wasn't good enough for the hardcore fans of the game - and my negative points were all about "hating" the game.

To attack people who try to be constructive and try to point out how the game might not be THAT good, only serves to make your position weak and desperate.

If the game was flawless - you'd simply laugh it off. You wouldn't even need to be here bashing everyone with even the slightest criticism. You'd be off playing and having the best fun of your lives.

Obviously, the game isn't flawless - and NO GAME IN THE WORLD doesn't have a ton of flaws.

This isn WoW vs GW2 - it's GW2 alone versus how it might have been. I stopped playing WoW many years ago - and though I think it did many things right (just like GW2) - it just lost its appeal and has too many flaws.

There's no game out currently that I'm particularly interested in - so it's not like I'm bashing GW2 instead of playing my favorite game. No, I'm just participating.

eyelolled

Advanced Member

I am more than some of my parts

5/10/13 3:00:11 AM#147
Originally posted by DKLond

There's no game out currently that I'm particularly interested in - so it's not like I'm bashing GW2 instead of playing my favorite game. No, I'm just participating.

Do they have a term for people that don't have anything they participate in, yet still feel it's important to share their expertise with others. There is a term...

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

DKLond

Hard Core Member

5/10/13 3:03:10 AM#148
Originally posted by eyelolled

Do they have a term for people that don't have anything they participate in, yet still feel it's important to share their expertise with others. There is a term...

Why do you think I don't have anything I participate in? I'm saying there's no game out that I'm particularly interested in. I'm talking about MMOs - and I play lots of them. None of them, however, is "the one" for me.

At the moment, I play DDO, GW2, Secret World, DF:UW and a few others.

But let's hear your term for me.

I'm sure it's negative somehow. Obviously, there's something wrong with not loving an MMO at the moment, and I'm clearly the only person in the world who's looking for his next big MMO.

Right?

Are you saying your opinion is "more important" than mine - and that your posts here are "better"?

Neo_Viper

Novice Member

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

5/10/13 7:25:38 AM#149
@eyelolled : blame the incompetence and/or the bias of the moderators. When the moderation sides with the game bashing trolls, you can't win. And the trolls know it and abuse it.

My computer is better than yours.

eyelolled

Advanced Member

5/10/13 11:58:13 AM#150
Originally posted by Neo_Viper
@eyelolled : blame the incompetence and/or the bias of the moderators. When the moderation sides with the game bashing trolls, you can't win. And the trolls know it and abuse it.

No matter how frustrated I might become with moderation in forums, I wouldn't want their job. 

I will say that there is a problem with forums in general in the fact that the moderation is subject to certain rules and policies. If a person is so inclined, they can exploit those policies to their advantage. The problem lies in the fact that most "productive" members would never be inclined to try and work the system, while a troll is much more inclined to do such. This inevitably creates an unbalance, and that pushes people to feel that they are bias against the "fair" posters.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

oakthornn

Novice Member

http://www.myspace.com/shauwn
Be my friend!

5/10/13 12:52:48 PM#151

You do realize that the $15/mo subs are only a fraction of what they're counting as subs, yes? They include the asian time cards where people play for pennies per hour even though they're not subscriptions in the sense we're used to. So that & mil. plus number is a bit exaggerated. Not that that's highly relevent, just a point of fact. 

GW2 is actually slowly climbing in player base during the peroid most MMOs face declines. 

It is a fact that GW2 is contunually making improvements. Can't say how many circles Blizzard is running around in since I quit WoW before Cataclysm.

WoW's sub numbers are very exaggerated.. I had 2 WoW accounts active at any given time when I played.. Most of my friends and family also had at least 2 active WoW accounts, and that's not including the month where they decided to create other new accounts just to get that stupid mount, or give other characters instant level 80.. So, I'd wager the 8 or so million subscribers they have are really maybe 2 million "actual people",, and that's just a guess...

8 years later, most mmorpg's wouldn't have 90% of the playerbase WoW still has today... Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's very impressive..

As for Guild Wars 2,,,,, I remember how most people overhyped the game so much, their expectations were to high for it to live up to.. I beta tested GW2, and I even bought it.. I was hoping to see some improvements, but unfortunately the game just wasn't interesting enough to me,, not like Ultima Online, Everquest, DAOC, or WoW was.. GW2 was never even in the same league as those games, and in my honest opinion, I don't believe it will ever live up to the legendary status of those 4 games..

GW2 was released just 8 months ago.. It's still technically a new game... At launch it did very well, then 60% of the people who bought the game quickly realized how uninteresting and dull the game is.. What did they do?? They left to go back to other games like WoW, or chose to play something else.. Why?? Because most f2p MMO's aren't on the same level as P2P MMO's.. F2P MMO's are nothing more than a quick rollercoaster ride that ends fast.. But there are some people out there who do enjoy riding those rollercoasters again and again until they throw up, lol.. It will happen for them too,, but it takes a little longer for them to realize their stomach can't handle anymore of the same monotonous ride.. :/

With that said, comparing a legendary game like WoW to GW2 is like comparing oatmeal to a 7 course dinner filled with Lobster, Steak, Turkey, Ham, etc etc etc..

The numbers don't lie.. WoW started fairly well, then began to grow and grow after each month.. Whereas, GW 2 started fairly high and in under a year lost 60% of it's original playerbase... I'm sorry, but that's not good,, and I'm not very good at math, lol..

Rallithon Oakthornn
(Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

eyelolled

Advanced Member

5/10/13 1:25:28 PM#152
nvm, I am sick and tired of trying.

stevebombsquad

Hard Core Member

5/10/13 2:38:16 PM#153
Originally posted by oakthornn

You do realize that the $15/mo subs are only a fraction of what they're counting as subs, yes? They include the asian time cards where people play for pennies per hour even though they're not subscriptions in the sense we're used to. So that & mil. plus number is a bit exaggerated. Not that that's highly relevent, just a point of fact. 

GW2 is actually slowly climbing in player base during the peroid most MMOs face declines. 

It is a fact that GW2 is contunually making improvements. Can't say how many circles Blizzard is running around in since I quit WoW before Cataclysm.

WoW's sub numbers are very exaggerated.. I had 2 WoW accounts active at any given time when I played.. Most of my friends and family also had at least 2 active WoW accounts, and that's not including the month where they decided to create other new accounts just to get that stupid mount, or give other characters instant level 80.. So, I'd wager the 8 or so million subscribers they have are really maybe 2 million "actual people",, and that's just a guess...

8 years later, most mmorpg's wouldn't have 90% of the playerbase WoW still has today... Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that's very impressive..

As for Guild Wars 2,,,,, I remember how most people overhyped the game so much, their expectations were to high for it to live up to.. I beta tested GW2, and I even bought it.. I was hoping to see some improvements, but unfortunately the game just wasn't interesting enough to me,, not like Ultima Online, Everquest, DAOC, or WoW was.. GW2 was never even in the same league as those games, and in my honest opinion, I don't believe it will ever live up to the legendary status of those 4 games..

GW2 was released just 8 months ago.. It's still technically a new game... At launch it did very well, then 60% of the people who bought the game quickly realized how uninteresting and dull the game is.. What did they do?? They left to go back to other games like WoW, or chose to play something else.. Why?? Because most f2p MMO's aren't on the same level as P2P MMO's.. F2P MMO's are nothing more than a quick rollercoaster ride that ends fast.. But there are some people out there who do enjoy riding those rollercoasters again and again until they throw up, lol.. It will happen for them too,, but it takes a little longer for them to realize their stomach can't handle anymore of the same monotonous ride.. :/

With that said, comparing a legendary game like WoW to GW2 is like comparing oatmeal to a 7 course dinner filled with Lobster, Steak, Turkey, Ham, etc etc etc..

The numbers don't lie.. WoW started fairly well, then began to grow and grow after each month.. Whereas, GW 2 started fairly high and in under a year lost 60% of it's original playerbase... I'm sorry, but that's not good,, and I'm not very good at math, lol..

Where did you get that number?

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Bad.dog

Hard Core Member

5/10/13 4:20:40 PM#154

Weak at math but good at BuLLSHit?.....I don't give a flying fiddlers crap about anyones opinion but pulling a number out of your ass like 60% or 90% just sucks the big one ....By the way  a 7 course dinner isn't a meal filled with Lobster Steak Turkey Ham ect ect  ....that's called a buffet  . I'm sorry but life under the bridge must be tough and that's just my honest opinion

Arakazi

Advanced Member

5/10/13 4:33:30 PM#155
I thought GW2 was a fabulous game. Looked great, played well and added some interesting ideas to the genre... well, that's the thing, it doesn't feel like an MMO to me.

SoMuchMass

Apprentice Member

5/10/13 8:04:30 PM#156

Arenanet fooled people into thinking that removing content = "new".  They removed tanks and healers, removed raids, removed  progression, removed mounts and somehow we were to believe that is "new".  It wasn't new it just was a incomplete game.  It never felt like an MMO.

GW2 feels like a single player game in which sometimes you see other players.  Like Dark Souls.

SoMuchMass

Apprentice Member

5/10/13 8:06:07 PM#157
Originally posted by stevebombsquad

According to Xfire and Raptr, GW2 lost 60% to 85% of their players since launch.

Neo_Viper

Novice Member

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

5/11/13 3:59:39 AM#158
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20130510-7ea00.png

My computer is better than yours.

zwei2

Apprentice Member

5/11/13 5:09:17 AM#159
Originally posted by eyelolled

This is an MMORPG forum.

This is not (Your game) Next Top Best Friend.

Everyone can say something in a forum, even fanboi or hater (and yes I dislike both of them), regardless. If a person cannot accept this term, then either the person is playing the mmorpg forum wrong, or mmorpg forum is not for the person.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

stevebombsquad

Hard Core Member

5/11/13 8:18:28 AM#160
Originally posted by SoMuchMass
Originally posted by stevebombsquad

According to Xfire and Raptr, GW2 lost 60% to 85% of their players since launch.

Those sites may be good indicators of trends within certain communities, but I wouldn't use them on these forums for determining population or as proof of something. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search