Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,769 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,354
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » Why isnt this on steam yet

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
25 posts found
  Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

5/08/13 5:38:06 AM#21

I think mainly because before launch ANet were super cocky and painted themselves into a corner with some absolute statements that would make them look a bit foolish to go back on now.

Steam's shop front is massive and would undoubedtly bring them new players that wouldn't have played the game otherwise. It seems a bit silly to say no to all their money because they don't want to share it with the distributor, especially for a game that could do with a shot in the arm profile wise at this stage of it's life.

Wicoa

Novice Member

OP  5/08/13 5:40:53 AM#22
Originally posted by Siphaed
Originally posted by Wicoa

Also its still cheaper for me to buy it on amazon as a packed product, instead of digital download (by almost 50%).

Then stop complaining and just by it from Amazon already. What's stopping you?  Who's stopping you?

Also, why does it matter if it's on Steam or not?  It never will be.  Why?  Because Valve wants a cut of the Gem Store items sold, and A.Net doesn't want to give them a cut of it (because it's what pays for the constant updates/server usage too).

If it's so important to you to have on Steam, just add it once you get the game.  

I did write (up) that I had bought it from amazon... I just thought it was odd since their other games like GW1 with all expansions and other ncsoft products are available on steam.  So I brought the question in my head to the mmoprg forums! 

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

5/08/13 6:59:44 AM#23

As someone as said before it is about the microtransactions.

Steam not only will take a cut from any shop sales it also requires that the game accept steam dollars in the game cash shop.

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, King of Tokyo

Wicoa

Novice Member

OP  5/08/13 8:24:28 AM#24
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

As someone as said before it is about the microtransactions.

Steam not only will take a cut from any shop sales it also requires that the game accept steam dollars in the game cash shop.

Sounds about right. Maybe they will do a deal at some point.

bookworm438

Apprentice Member

5/08/13 12:57:00 PM#25
I believe Anet stated in the past that it had no plans for steam due to some of the policies for selling a game on steam (ie micro transactions).
2 Pages « 1 2 Search