Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest Next | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,913 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,313,117
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » GW2's SPvP vs. WoW's BG's

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
51 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  4/08/13 2:03:04 PM#1

I'll admit it, I enjoy quick serve, instanced PvP in MMO's.   The quick matches and variety of objectives have kept me entertained in WoW for many years.

So I decided to invest some time into GW2's SPvP system over the weekend.  I had briefly tried it during launch but it didn't really do it for me.

I have to say, I'm enjoying playing my Necro in SPVP and I like the smaller environments which force players to engage each other but it seems like there is absolutely no variety in objectives.  

I played about 35 matches over the weekend across most maps but every one was pretty much the same, conquest with three capture points.  

I thought there had to be something I was missing so I went to GW2's wiki site to investigate and it turns out that every single SPVP map has three capture points with some varied secondary mechanics.   Out of all the matches I was in, I never saw anyone do any secondary mechanics so I'm guessing that they don't help much in terms of points. 

All of that being said, are there plans to expand the SPVP component of GW2 or was this simply a bit of side progression thrown in to help round out the offering?

In my opinion, WoW seems to be way ahead with their BG's in terms of the variety of gameplay and objectives. 

Nadia

Tipster

4/08/13 2:31:03 PM#2

ANET is still striving to improve sPVP

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32028

Bladestrom

Elite Member

4/08/13 2:58:30 PM#3
ye im guessing spvp are lower in the priorities in the short term. (wvw ganeplay/performance and improving lore/depth of pve gameplay has to be above) GW1 had Fort Aspenwood as a different type of BG (my favourite)  that im sure Anet will implement at some point.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (10000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (600 runemaster/Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR

User Deleted

OP  4/08/13 3:16:12 PM#4
Thanks for replies and info.  It's definitely reassuring to see that ANet has some significant plans to improve SPVP in the near future. 
  Kaleston

Novice Member

4/09/13 2:50:22 AM#5

sPvP maps are smaller than WoW BG. They are also faster and less people in them.

It is true, that there is always one basic principle: conquer 3 points, but there is also another different mechanic in every map that must not be ignored or you can loose even if you win conquest battle. Especially when 2 teams of similar strength meet, those optional objectives can make very big difference.

Especially the newest map is much more about optional objective than conquer points game.

aesperus

Elite Member

4/09/13 3:06:33 AM#6
Originally posted by fat_taddler

I'll admit it, I enjoy quick serve, instanced PvP in MMO's.   The quick matches and variety of objectives have kept me entertained in WoW for many years.

**snip**

All of that being said, are there plans to expand the SPVP component of GW2 or was this simply a bit of side progression thrown in to help round out the offering?

In my opinion, WoW seems to be way ahead with their BG's in terms of the variety of gameplay and objectives. 

I'm sure they do plan on expanding sPvP, they've stated as much.

The primary reason all maps have the same general objectives (according to Anet) was to make it easier as an E-sport. Since they've basically pissed away their shot at gw2 being an e-sport game (for now at least), I'm hoping they'll start adding more variety to sPvP.

At the very least I think they're adding GvG and customizeable sPvP servers. That'll be a good start. The game has a lot of potential as far as PvP goes, and it's some of the most fun PvP I've had in a while (not counting certain shooters / 3PS games). However it's painfully obvious to most fans of the game that most of their efforts have been directed at PvE. There's been very little in the way of PvP updates since launch. Fixing culling was a pretty nice fix, that's basically all that's been done. Aside from that they added a 2 new maps, which play mostly identical to the others, and removed orbs from WvW.

I'm really hoping that later this year we'll see more of an effort where PvP is concerned. Especially since they let slip that they haven't even started working on an expansion.

Purutzil

Advanced Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

4/09/13 3:12:48 AM#7

Honestly to chime in, I find a lot of the SPvP maps quite lack luster. There are a good good ones mind you, but over-all its kind of 'meh'. That being said, the few that stand out as being good actually do a great job if your going to play more on a 'competative' side, for me they trump WoW's BG in terms of making it more 'team' and 'skill' based of sorts for being smaller groups but also having objectives that aren't too detracting from the over-all goal of the match. 

I do think (as its been mentioned before) they are working on it, granted its something ANY company usually does when something doesn't work, but none the less considering they do want PVP pushed I can see them trying to fix it more. As of right now their desire to be an Esport has failed pretty well, which I feel has in part to do not only with the maps and pvp system in play, but generally the combat itself not able to fit on that skill/competative edge enough to make it stick out. For them to really make things competative, they just need to do a lot more to allow for skill and tactics to triumph greater in the matches. 

Its a lot of work, but if your really into the game, considering they did try and push a pvp element into the game, your best bet is to just keep watch since if they really want it to work how they originally intended it to, they will invest the time and money to do so.

RizelStar

Novice Member

We all breathe and we all die.

4/09/13 11:07:36 AM#8
I like what they have now and it's cool they are only improving the game to the best of their ability.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

4/09/13 3:20:03 PM#9

SPvP has many problems.  The first one is accessibility.  We cannot join it unless we're in the Mists zone, and once there, we need to run up to an NPC to access the browser.  This is how it was the last time i tried it, so if it's changed, let me know.

The second problem is the lack of gametype varieties, as fat_taddler mentioned.  A-Net's decision to implement capture-and-hold only was a terrible mistake.  The fans expressed this pre-launch, but they still wanted to keep to their "vision", even if it was a bad one.

The third problem was having paid tournaments so early.  It just segregated people when it didn't have to.

The fourth, is the randomized loot from SPvP.  Random PvP gear was a bad idea.  People want to feel progression with obtaining gear and items, for the character they are playing, and not waste time on a gamble at obtaining gear for a class they will never play.

And many more minor issues, such as: team colors (which can now be turned off), annoying announcer, and rank progression.

Diemos

Apprentice Member

4/09/13 3:31:18 PM#10
Tourney SPvP is a ton of fun. The secondary mechanics involved on each map can be game changers. The gameplay is very skill based and is far better than WoWs BGs/Arenas

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

4/10/13 12:36:53 PM#11
Play tourneys you will see how much secondary mechanics play a role.

Faelsun

Advanced Member

4/13/13 2:15:36 AM#12
Gw2 pvp is like playing soccer inside of a 4 foot square box. 
  Vorch

Novice Member

4/13/13 2:25:55 AM#13

PvE has been getting the bulk of love since release.

WvW just got some MUCH needed attention and I'm loving it.

sPvP really...REALLY needs some attention. I like that they add new maps but we...need...more...MODES.

Seriously. Leaderboards are just a start, but I don't see sPvP kicking off with out 2 or 3 additional modes and some kick-ass emotes/skins/titles to go along with it.

It has the potential, but not enough love :(

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

JonnyBigBoss

Novice Member

5/02/13 12:36:03 PM#14
Originally posted by Nadia

Too late. Those of us interested in sPvP are long gone.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/02/13 12:40:07 PM#15
Not really a fan of instanced pvp. But for what its worth I found gw2s more fun than wows. Gw1 did it best though.

Shame WvW was such a massive disappointment, might have stuck with gw2 longer.
  MikeJezZ

Novice Member

Only in death, does duty end.

5/03/13 5:36:12 AM#16

It is decent.

Game is pretty unbalanced. Thieves can one shot Guardians at ease. Not because of better gear because all gear is equal. No because of unbalance.

The reason to play disappears pretty fast. I am not into heavy gear grind. But I do wish there were some sort of progression in GW2.

Also I am not a big fan of that your weapon decides which skills you had.

I like the look of a staff on a caster. Staff sucks close up and youre forced to switch to crappy one hand garbage looks.

Same as Guardians. I love the look of a greatsword, but I hate the spells. Sure I could switch to mace. But I hate the look of maces.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

5/03/13 5:39:09 AM#17
Would of preferred if Anet not included sPvP in GW2 since I consider instanced PvP a detriment to world PvP.  But I suppose seeing as there really is no incentive either way then theres nothing to lose.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Jean-Luc_Picard

Hard Core Member

There... are... four... lights!

5/03/13 5:41:50 AM#18
Originally posted by Faelsun
Gw2 pvp is like playing soccer inside of a 4 foot square box. 

WvW is a pretty huge box... if you need space, that's the PvP for you. GW2 gives the choice.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

5/03/13 7:02:40 AM#19

SPvP needs a lot of improvements, but it's still fun once in awhile when you need a break from pve or WvW.

WoW's pvp was pretty substandard when it launched too.  Granted though, it did have more variety of gametypes.

A-net keeps claiming they want SPvP to be a serious esport, but i just don't see it happening anytime soon.  They failed with paid tournaments which i always thought was a terrible idea.  They really need to get rid of that PvP browser too, and let people queue up in the open-world.  It's just unnecessary to have to go to the Mists everytime.

Amjoco

Elite Member

5/03/13 7:25:59 AM#20
Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss
Originally posted by Nadia

Too late. Those of us interested in sPvP are long gone.

Those of who? The folks that are playing aren't long gone or this thread would never have been created.

sPvP needs attention just like WoWs Vanilla Alterac Valley did in it's start. GW2 is still a new game evolving with each patch, and every patch has made it a better game than it was before imho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search