Trending Games | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,364 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,073,968
ArenaNet | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 08/28/12)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$49.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Guild Wars 2 Forum » General Discussion » What a difference a day makes

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
56 posts found
  grimal

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 9/11/05
Posts: 1831

 
OP  4/02/13 12:59:09 PM#41
Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
You're welcome to visit us anytime on Gandara (EU) :)

From what I read, I am limited to my region (NA) :(

Release a game with a very large established fanbase from 10+ years of bnet history when the market was still emerging and the casual base had not yet been established, thus ripe for harvesting a momentious self perpetuating playerbase people never leave because they have X hours invested in their characters, and their friends and everyone else plays anyway. Not discounting Blizzard quality... but WoW's success is as much about perfect timing as it is quality, if not more so. - Derros

  grimal

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 9/11/05
Posts: 1831

 
OP  4/02/13 1:00:56 PM#42
Originally posted by Purutzil

I honestly feel its less you finding something with GW2 and more so feeling your time on SWTOR is 'useless' so to speak so you haven't wanted to play it and so you went towards GW2 as an outlet instead.

 

Its nothing new, it happens with any game out there. For you GW2 was there to invest more time into. I had this happen with Path of Exile having taken me away from Rift quite a lot to the point I didn't even feel like logging on Rift which I had been playing for a long time, despite thinking I'd play it a bit till the expansion. I ended up going with PoE for its Beta that would be wiped over waiting for the expansion on rift and it filling a gap rift couldn't fill knowing it would be trivialized in a few months (was at PA cap by then)

It's possible, but when I've had this experience before, it wasn't the case.  But, I can always bring it up with my shrink and see what they say.

Release a game with a very large established fanbase from 10+ years of bnet history when the market was still emerging and the casual base had not yet been established, thus ripe for harvesting a momentious self perpetuating playerbase people never leave because they have X hours invested in their characters, and their friends and everyone else plays anyway. Not discounting Blizzard quality... but WoW's success is as much about perfect timing as it is quality, if not more so. - Derros

  Jean-Luc_Picard

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/10/13
Posts: 2393

There... are... four... lights!

4/02/13 2:02:54 PM#43
Originally posted by eyelolled
Originally posted by Purutzil

I honestly feel its less you finding something with GW2 and more so feeling your time on SWTOR is 'useless' so to speak so you haven't wanted to play it and so you went towards GW2 as an outlet instead.

 

Its nothing new, it happens with any game out there. For you GW2 was there to invest more time into. I had this happen with Path of Exile having taken me away from Rift quite a lot to the point I didn't even feel like logging on Rift which I had been playing for a long time, despite thinking I'd play it a bit till the expansion. I ended up going with PoE for its Beta that would be wiped over waiting for the expansion on rift and it filling a gap rift couldn't fill knowing it would be trivialized in a few months (was at PA cap by then)

do you consider yourself an expert on what other people feel or enjoy?

It's not the first time he tries to explain others what they should like or dislike. Just ignore the nonsense.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

  Volkon

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/14/10
Posts: 3804

Facts do not require fiction for balance.

4/02/13 2:03:00 PM#44
Originally posted by drakaena

To this day I am still baffled how ANet flubbed up PvP so horrifically in GW2. The mechanics are there, the gameplay, lot's of potential, I noticeably miss dodge in other games that do not offer the feature, but the way in which they chose to package PvP is awful, and ultimately, unplayable longterm. It's a quick fix game imo.

Build diversity doesn't mean much to me if all I am doing is repetitive gameplay for a bunch of nothing. Sure, events and dungeons are cool for a few go-arounds, but then what? Do it again and again... why? It wasn't THAT fun. All my opinion, of course.

I'm getting old now, and life has caught up to me, so if a game doesn't hook me, I won't force it.

If they ever get around to adding a competitive rating system, and actual guild wars with rivalries, where winning and losing matter, not this everyone get's a gold star BS because we are all special snowflakes, I would come back and play.

Flubbed it? Flubbed what? Be more specific. WvW is a huge hit for example, and even more insane with culling removed. sPvP I haven't bothered with yet so can't say there personally. Or maybe you're simply expressing an opinion and mistakenly came across like you're trying to assert a fact? That happens on the net.

Oderint, dum metuant.

  drakaena

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/11/06
Posts: 433

4/02/13 2:38:33 PM#45
Originally posted by Volkon
Originally posted by drakaena

To this day I am still baffled how ANet flubbed up PvP so horrifically in GW2. The mechanics are there, the gameplay, lot's of potential, I noticeably miss dodge in other games that do not offer the feature, but the way in which they chose to package PvP is awful, and ultimately, unplayable longterm. It's a quick fix game imo.

Build diversity doesn't mean much to me if all I am doing is repetitive gameplay for a bunch of nothing. Sure, events and dungeons are cool for a few go-arounds, but then what? Do it again and again... why? It wasn't THAT fun. All my opinion, of course.

I'm getting old now, and life has caught up to me, so if a game doesn't hook me, I won't force it.

If they ever get around to adding a competitive rating system, and actual guild wars with rivalries, where winning and losing matter, not this everyone get's a gold star BS because we are all special snowflakes, I would come back and play.

Flubbed it? Flubbed what? Be more specific. WvW is a huge hit for example, and even more insane with culling removed. sPvP I haven't bothered with yet so can't say there personally. Or maybe you're simply expressing an opinion and mistakenly came across like you're trying to assert a fact? That happens on the net.

I typed (imo), so yes, it is only my opinion. I am aware there are a lot of players who apparently enjoy it. It just isn't my cup of tea. I could go into reasons as to why, but that's been hashed out ad-naseum post release.

In short, read the last paragraph I typed.

  DragFire

Novice Member

Joined: 7/28/06
Posts: 14

4/02/13 2:55:50 PM#46
Fighting for your guild in GvG and trying arrive the Hall of Heroes simple for the glory of the moment was the best experiences in Guild Wars 1 and any MMO.
GW2 PVP needs more viable builds  and pvp modes, they dont need to create something new, just get the most popular Pvp competitions from GW1. Anet is wasting the time with the themepark content...
  Homitu

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/01/09
Posts: 2004

4/02/13 3:52:46 PM#47
Originally posted by aesperus
Originally posted by Eir_S
Originally posted by grimal

Basically, I was just trying to say if a game doesn't work for you the first time around, don't necessarily write it off.

Now this is true, any day of the year.  I've trashed games on these very forums and then found out later that they're actually pretty fun.  Maybe they didn't last me forever, but anyone can come around if they leave their mind open for enjoyment instead of "feature lists".

Definitely true.

It's funny, because myself and a few others have been trying to point out this aspect of GW2 to others for some time now. However most posters just acted like we were making crap up. I guess some realizations you just can't tell people about, they have to come to their own understandings =/.

See, usually people who come onto boards to "trash games" don't want to be reasoned with.  I generally don't even reply to such posts.  I'd be interested to hear A) why Eir "trashing games" in the first place, and B) what made him/her change his/her mind about certain games and give them another chance. 

  RizelStar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/12/11
Posts: 2818

We all breathe and we all die.

4/02/13 7:28:30 PM#48
Originally posted by DragFire
Fighting for your guild in GvG and trying arrive the Hall of Heroes simple for the glory of the moment was the best experiences in Guild Wars 1 and any MMO.
GW2 PVP needs more viable builds  and pvp modes, they dont need to create something new, just get the most popular Pvp competitions from GW1. Anet is wasting the time with the themepark content...

*Comes back to earth.*...

 

 

*Turns around and leaves earth again.*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  Eir_S

Elite Member

Joined: 8/07/11
Posts: 4526

GW2 socialist.

4/02/13 8:51:21 PM#49
Originally posted by Homitu
Originally posted by aesperus
Originally posted by Eir_S
Originally posted by grimal

Basically, I was just trying to say if a game doesn't work for you the first time around, don't necessarily write it off.

Now this is true, any day of the year.  I've trashed games on these very forums and then found out later that they're actually pretty fun.  Maybe they didn't last me forever, but anyone can come around if they leave their mind open for enjoyment instead of "feature lists".

Definitely true.

It's funny, because myself and a few others have been trying to point out this aspect of GW2 to others for some time now. However most posters just acted like we were making crap up. I guess some realizations you just can't tell people about, they have to come to their own understandings =/.

See, usually people who come onto boards to "trash games" don't want to be reasoned with.  I generally don't even reply to such posts.  I'd be interested to hear A) why Eir "trashing games" in the first place, and B) what made him/her change his/her mind about certain games and give them another chance. 

Eh.  I know sometimes I come off as judgemental and maybe I am, but I did grow up in an era where kids were constantly shouting from the rooftops their love of "Sega" or "Nintendo" and it probably stuck.  I'm sure there are deeper psychological reasons for wanting to support something you like and tear down its competition; some of it may even be adult peer pressure - my friends like this so I have to or I won't be cool.  Either way, if I try a game and enjoy it, I will change my mind and probably say so right on these forums, even if I've been bashing the game for months.  I try not to let pride get in the way of honesty.  If I still think it sucks, well I'm not about to lie about that either...

To be honest, most of the games that come out are not BAD.  It's just that we're all looking for something different. 

  jpnole

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/13/10
Posts: 1647

4/02/13 9:11:59 PM#50
Originally posted by grimal

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

 

 

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

  rodingo

Elite Member

Joined: 1/18/07
Posts: 1377

4/02/13 9:27:47 PM#51
Originally posted by jpnole
Originally posted by grimal

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

 

 

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

Hmmm,...while you are making predictions, can you please tell me what game I'm going to burn out on next and when as well?  Then tell me what game I'm going to go to next while you are at it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

  Dreskest

Novice Member

Joined: 7/28/12
Posts: 71

4/03/13 3:32:22 AM#52

Good for you OP, but my opinion about GW2 still hasn't changed.

 I still think it's a shallow and mediocre game with horrendous storylines, and even worse voice acting. How do I know that ? My son still plays a bit, but I won't break his little heart telling him how I feel about it lol so I'll just go and mind my own business and play something I enjoy.  

  Kaleston

Novice Member

Joined: 9/08/11
Posts: 176

4/03/13 3:57:02 AM#53
Originally posted by jpnole
Originally posted by grimal

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

 

 

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

I'm not sure why you attack themeparks here... this exactly same thing happened to me in many sandparks I've played... After all when you realize it's all pixels and bits in memory, you must come to this conclusion.

There is one huge difference in GW2 though. It's VERY casual oriented game (so far that many players can't get into it, because they lack raids and progression). This means people that understand this will be playing it for fun. They won't take it as a meaning of life as many did with WoW/EQ/Sandparks (I know I did with WoW back in the days). And honestly, if you play a game just for fun, you can't be easily burned out... the same way as with any other fun activity in real world. Of course you can get bored of it sometime in future, but you get eventually bored of everything.

  Kaleston

Novice Member

Joined: 9/08/11
Posts: 176

4/03/13 4:07:11 AM#54
Originally posted by drakaena

To this day I am still baffled how ANet flubbed up PvP so horrifically in GW2. The mechanics are there, the gameplay, lot's of potential, I noticeably miss dodge in other games that do not offer the feature, but the way in which they chose to package PvP is awful, and ultimately, unplayable longterm. It's a quick fix game imo.

Build diversity doesn't mean much to me if all I am doing is repetitive gameplay for a bunch of nothing. Sure, events and dungeons are cool for a few go-arounds, but then what? Do it again and again... why? It wasn't THAT fun. All my opinion, of course.

I'm getting old now, and life has caught up to me, so if a game doesn't hook me, I won't force it.

If they ever get around to adding a competitive rating system, and actual guild wars with rivalries, where winning and losing matter, not this everyone get's a gold star BS because we are all special snowflakes, I would come back and play.

And here we are! Perfect example of a person I was referring to in my previous post :)

I don't mean to preach or say "you must like this game". It's just fun because this game is exact opposite of what people expect from MMORPG (AKA WoW clone) and so many people are "baffled" because they can't uderstand different people like different things and if the game didn't click with them, that doesn't necessarily means it didn't click with differently oriented bunch.

  grimal

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 9/11/05
Posts: 1831

 
OP  4/03/13 7:41:49 AM#55
Originally posted by jpnole

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

To appease you, I'll definitely do that.

 

Release a game with a very large established fanbase from 10+ years of bnet history when the market was still emerging and the casual base had not yet been established, thus ripe for harvesting a momentious self perpetuating playerbase people never leave because they have X hours invested in their characters, and their friends and everyone else plays anyway. Not discounting Blizzard quality... but WoW's success is as much about perfect timing as it is quality, if not more so. - Derros

  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4079

Remember the blisters you'd get in the palm of your hand from the corner of that joystick?

4/03/13 12:29:59 PM#56
Originally posted by grimal
Originally posted by jpnole

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

To appease you, I'll definitely do that.

 

I know this was directed at the OP, but I made a very similar post to the OP's exactly 2 weeks ago today (3/20) Of course, that's when I posted this. I've actually been playing GW2 since right after the holidays. I have 826 hrs in GW2 at this point and I don't see the wall yet.

Recently started playing SWTOR. I am posting updates to my experience in this thread:
SWTOR Experience

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search